HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paul Kariya Will NOT Play This Season

Old
08-28-2010, 01:05 AM
ChicagoBlues

vCash: 500
Paul Kariya Will NOT Play This Season

This report says it's post-concussion syndrome.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Stang

I was wondering when this would get posted here. It sucks for Paul for sure...never a good thing to see a player's career affected by injury. The only small plus side to this is that he won't end up signing somewhere else much cheaper than we paid and becoming a monster on the ice again (like I think he would have).

Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:46 AM
rory b bellows

first, i feel really bad for paul. this is horrible news.

now, can someone answer how this turned up over the summer and not earlier? how do they already know he's out for the year? while PCS can last for a couple months, i thought you just had to "wait" it out. also, i guess he had a mild concussion in december, but played out the rest of the year... but how did he play out the rest of the year? can PCS go undiagnosed or can it appear months after the injury like this?

can someone that knows a lot about this chime in?

rory b bellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:46 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
It does seem odd that he was playing for the Blues and now he says this. One way to look at it is that Paul really wanted to get out there and earn his money (also maybe another contract somewhere).

I could read up a bit about post-concussion syndrome....but off the top of my head I doubt I can add anything. The effects can be long-lasting and variable length of time. I'm curious why he doesn't just announce his retirement.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Oshie97

This is a common thing for athletes and military combatants to have happen. I do feel sorry for Paul but I'm guessing he was keeping the information secret in hopes of finishing of his career and getting another contract. The main symptoms are frequent headaches, dizziness, sensitivity to light or sounds, ringing in the ears and vomiting/ double vision for extreme cases. He would have recognized these symptoms, I know this is not the first concussion he has had. I'm guessing doctors are telling him to retire due to his history, it would be a shame if he did not listen and ended up with dementia.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:23 PM
sbkbghockey

Umm yeah I’m calling BS on this!! He's washed up plain and simple!! He hasn't played in St. Louis like he once did in the past. If he only missed 6 games in Dec-Jan (which in the middle of the season is maybe a week and a half) that's a minor concussion. If he wasn’t ready to comeback docs wouldn’t have let him and I've never heard of athletes getting PCS from minor concussions.

there were rumors all summer he was looking to sign with a team (Anaheim was one, Carolina, and I believe a couple other teams were rumored) He didn't get a contract so taking a season off for medical reasons sounds much better than a Brett Favre retirement and/or 35 year old free agent/wash up.

If it's true or not- probably better to just retire- relax, play some NHL 11, spend time playing shinny hockey, coaching kids, etc...

sbkbghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:37 PM
LyricalLyricist

I don't see how you guys can call BS. I understand inventing a reason you haven't been signed so you seem like a new commodity when you're 'healed' but I doubt a team is like "yay kariya just came off a year of concussion symptoms, let's get him now!"...it's not an attractive selling point.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:51 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
He's always been a little bit odd. I'm not sure why he doesn't just retire. Its clear he was planning to play, looking at Anaheim....and changed his mind or something.

Its hard to imagine him getting anything more than a 1-year low-end deal if he DOES try to come back the following season. Of course, whose to say he can't come in mid-season with a contender for a pro-rated deal. Actually, now that I think of it that may be his plan.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:46 AM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory b bellows View Post
first, i feel really bad for paul. this is horrible news.

now, can someone answer how this turned up over the summer and not earlier? how do they already know he's out for the year? while PCS can last for a couple months, i thought you just had to "wait" it out. also, i guess he had a mild concussion in december, but played out the rest of the year... but how did he play out the rest of the year? can PCS go undiagnosed or can it appear months after the injury like this?

can someone that knows a lot about this chime in?
According to wikipedia, it takes a few months to diagnose PCS.

Quote:
A diagnosis may be made when symptoms resulting from concussion last for more than three months after the injury,[6] or it may be made starting within a week[7] or ten days of trauma.[8] In late, persistent, or prolonged PCS (PPCS), symptoms last for over six months,[7][9] or by other standards, three.[10]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-concussion_syndrome

DrVanntastic is offline   Reply With Quote