HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks are interested in Marc Staal

Old
08-28-2010, 07:36 AM
FutureGM97

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Staal isn't going anywhere. No one has the balls to mess with Sather's RFAs...and if someone does? Well may someone have mercy on their soul because knowing the way Sather played the game and the way his mentality is, he will go after that team in any way he can and make that GMs life a living hell. But...no one is going to go after him.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 08:15 AM
McDonaughGirardi

the only way I would make this trade staal is if we got pavelski and couture in return and gave them drury ... thats not happening... don't want staal traded
Dubinsky-Couture-Gaborik
Frolov-Pavelski-MZA/Callahan
Avery-Anisimov-Prust
Boogard-Boyle-Wiese

McDonaughGirardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
We already have Pavelski. His name is Stepan. Staal isn't going anywhere.
I really don't see the need for Pavelski, anyway. He's not much better than what we currently have on offense and it would cause a HUGE downgrade on defense.

To me, the deal starts with Setoguchi and McGinn and add a bit more from there.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:28 AM
ecemleafs

setoguchi only had 9 more points than staal last year haha

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Chalfdiggity3

not sure why no1 has brought up this option yet but maybe something like staal, gilroy, dubinsky and a 5th for bobby ryan, vlasic and a pavelski..idk

id much rather keep staal and continue to grow young talent..

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalfdiggity3 View Post
not sure why no1 has brought up this option yet but maybe something like staal, gilroy, dubinsky and a 5th for bobby ryan, vlasic and a pavelski..idk

id much rather keep staal and continue to grow young talent..
Because Bobby Ryan and Pavelski don't play on the same team...?

Old
08-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Chalfdiggity3

ha **** yea i forgot about that, sorry was fraggled when writing this. umm then id want pavelski vlasic and 2 1sts for staal and gilroy.. or since sharks were unsure about signing thornton next year, maybe they go big and grab thornton and vlasic and 1st for staal and gilroy

Old
08-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Chalfdiggity3

ive heard talks on nhl radio bout sharks being unsure about signing thornton and since we are in need of a #1 center, he could easily be it. Plus give us time for stepen and anisimov to get accustomed to the 2nd and 3rd line center roles first before moving up in a couple years to take thorntons spot. id want something ontop of thornton tho and we know we need defense so what about vlasic, hes young talented and can play on the top defensive pairings. of course we would need to send salary back, and thought of gilroy and possibly something else.

Rangers trade:
Staal
gilroy
something

Sharks
Thornton
Vlasic
1st

Old
08-28-2010, 10:58 AM
NYR Viper

If the Rangers trade Staal, they need to get back an equally talented young player. Thats what it comes down to. Not Joe Thornton at 30+ years of age.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
ive heard talks on nhl radio bout sharks being unsure about signing thornton and since we are in need of a #1 center, he could easily be it. Plus give us time for stepen and anisimov to get accustomed to the 2nd and 3rd line center roles first before moving up in a couple years to take thorntons spot. id want something ontop of thornton tho and we know we need defense so what about vlasic, hes young talented and can play on the top defensive pairings. of course we would need to send salary back, and thought of gilroy and possibly something else.

Rangers trade:
Staal
gilroy
something

Sharks
Thornton
Vlasic
1st
No way that works capwise. Thornton+Vlasic is 10.3 mil on our cap, which would put us over the summer cap.

Even if Staal were to get 5 mil, thats still a dding 3.6 mil ish to our cap, and Im not sure it can fit even if we waive and send down White.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Chalfdiggity3

whats vlasic? garbage? hes a top pairing nhl dman who can play both sides of the ice. hes still only 23yo.

Vlasic would help to absorb the loss of staal, thornton would be our #1 center for another 4 years, or till stepan or Ani can step up and fill that role. thornton and gaborik would be lethal... add that to our current lineup.. could make us stanley cup contenders right there.

Old
08-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Chalfdiggity3

thats why i said we would have to add something more to the deal. maybe something like drury, or ec and prospal, idk

Old
08-28-2010, 11:27 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Pavelski and Clowe for Staal and something else is all I am interested in doing really.

Otherwise, pass.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:29 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

This is a non-discussion. Sharks are interested but so are 29 other teams, which includes the Rangers, whom of which he will sign with.

Finished. Done. Over.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:30 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:
whats vlasic? garbage? hes a top pairing nhl dman who can play both sides of the ice. hes still only 23yo.

Vlasic would help to absorb the loss of staal, thornton would be our #1 center for another 4 years, or till stepan or Ani can step up and fill that role. thornton and gaborik would be lethal... add that to our current lineup.. could make us stanley cup contenders right there.
when did Thornton extend?

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:55 AM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:

Rangers trade:
Staal
gilroy
something

Sharks
Thornton
Vlasic
1st
Seriously? Rangers fans may like that, but that's insanely bad for us! You'd need to add Gaborik or Lundqvist for us to consider that.

Staal=>Vlasic
1st>>>Gilroy
Thornton=<Lundqvist/Gaborik

Just no.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:58 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
It'd have to be Pavelski+ and they have to take Drury or Redden with him!

Staal is gonna sign. I can't imagine Sather letting his big fish go. Staal is the shining beacon in his youth movement mantra. If he's to keep the masses convinced he's committed to youth, no way he can let Staal go.

And "Sharks interested in Staal" who isn't? If "Rangers interested in Ovechkin." was a headline, that'd be a 'well, duh'
well said.... bunch of nobs on twitter who think they r reporters.

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:06 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaveHo94 View Post
well said.... bunch of nobs on twitter who think they r reporters.
did you mean noobs or knobs ? Either way

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

There's no player on their roster I'd trade straight up for Staal.

Seto: Good, but really took a huge step back last year. He definitely needs a skilled play-maker centering his line.

Couture: Lot of potential, but not sure if he'll be that #1 centermen we're after.

Pavelski: Good player, but I feel that we're grooming our own Pavelski-type in Stepan.

Clowe: Good power forward, but he's inching closer to 30. I think Dubinsky can, and will fill that role for us.

When you start getting into these 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals, it gets a little dicey. Couture/Murray/1st for Staal would be the lowest I'd go. But truth be told, if we were forced to move him, I'd much rather get a player like James Neil, and then try and move Dubinsky for a defensemen to replace Staal.

All moot anyway, because he's not going anywhere.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:41 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
There's no player on their roster I'd trade straight up for Staal.

Seto: Good, but really took a huge step back last year. He definitely needs a skilled play-maker centering his line.

Couture: Lot of potential, but not sure if he'll be that #1 centermen we're after.

Pavelski: Good player, but I feel that we're grooming our own Pavelski-type in Stepan.

Clowe: Good power forward, but he's inching closer to 30. I think Dubinsky can, and will fill that role for us.

When you start getting into these 2 for 1 or 3 for 1 deals, it gets a little dicey. Couture/Murray/1st for Staal would be the lowest I'd go. But truth be told, if we were forced to move him, I'd much rather get a player like James Neil, and then try and move Dubinsky for a defensemen to replace Staal.

All moot anyway, because he's not going anywhere.
You forgot this guy named Joe Thornton.

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
No, I didn't forget him. I left him off the list because I want nothing to do with him. Thanks for playing.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:16 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
No, I didn't forget him. I left him off the list because I want nothing to do with him. Thanks for playing.
Sharks fans just don't understand. There are a few sane ones around, but the vast majority don't want to move anything of value.

And then there are the foolish ones who think we'd move Staal for anything under value even if contract talks stopped. I guess they truly forget that there are 29 other teams in the league other than them.

Old
08-28-2010, 01:18 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
I think what it all comes down to at least for most of the posters on this forum is we have big doubts about the idea of moving Staal at all and at the least the price the Sharks pay for Staal should give Sharks fans some kinds of doubts of whether it's worthwhile or not too.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Staal = arguably a top 10 defensive defenseman at age 23 and his offensive game has gone from 10 to 15 to 27 points in his first 3 seasons.

Pavelski, though he is young and very skilled, is not even close to top 10 at the position he plays. I think if you look at this in the long run as well Staal will always be a better player at his position than Pavelski will be at his.

No way in hell I'd trade Staalsy for Pavelski even if we get another player in the deal.

Last edited by Stugots: 08-28-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
How can you not want the magic man? Now you see him now you don't!

I find it laughable he thinks Thornton is worth Lundqvist straight up.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote