HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timonen not mentally ready yet

Old
08-27-2010, 10:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I read that and I'm thinking he might call it a career soon.....
After his current contract, I think he's out.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:46 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
I know homer gets killed but this is exactly why I am glad they have 8 NHL ready dmen. With Pronger and Kimo still healing mentally and physically having O'Donnell, Mez, Bartulis and Walker will big huge.

Odds are against a team making it back to the finals but having some new blood (Mez, Zherdev, Leino) with something to prove sure helps.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:47 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7475Fly View Post
Geez. If I am making 7 Mil a year, I think I could manage.
And here's your facepalm moment of the month.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
After his current contract, I think he's out.
Or sooner, if they win the Cup. Why not go out a winner? He's already rich.

He makes $7M this year, $5M the next, $3M the final year..

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 10:57 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

It would be nice to be more rich though...he has some business interests back in Finland, so he wouldn't mind padding the bankroll a bit.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
i like how you guys read so much into what he said...

did you ever stop to think all he meant was he was still fatigued, and wasnt really ready to start the grind for the stanley cup all over ???

adding names into what he said is pure biase on your parts..

some of teh members here are so tainted with player hate it makes me wonder if you really like this team or not ???

remember its about the crest on the front of the jersey NOT the name on the back...
When the name on the back of your goalie's sweater reads "I suck ass" in big bold letters, it has to be disheartening.

Besides, you play for the team and not for yourself. If we applied your statement to everything we talk about...well...there'd be nothing to talk about except "go team". Boring.

Mike ****ing Leighton sucks. I couldn't give a rats ass what crest he wears.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 11:26 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
It would be nice to be more rich though...he has some business interests back in Finland, so he wouldn't mind padding the bankroll a bit.
Mo' Money, Mo' Problems. I can't blame Timonen. Last year was such a ****ing rollercoaster ride. I mean, we have posters on this board who suffered from sports anxiety and we're just... ummm watching it on television (for those of you who live in Philly I assume you're at the games). Kimmo was out there 25 minutes a game and watching from the bench. You don't think it stings for him a little bit more than any of us?

As far as his comments being a giant **** you to MFL and PFH. I see no clear indicaton. Even if that were his true intent you will never hear him say it. One can only speculate.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:16 AM
Kaktus*

From Holmgren to Timonen: We have Boucher and Lieghton as out goalies at the start of next season. "What can you do?"

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-28-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 06:24 AM
StandingCow

I think this is nothing more than a really really disappointing loss. I mean, they really came close to winning, and had they won those very winnable first two games... yea.

Also, I think it is a sign that he was over worked last season, as was prongs.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 06:34 AM

Agreed, it's quite pathetic to be honest. Montreal aside, I have to say that our fanbase complains more than anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
This.

You guys are obsessed, absolutely and completely, with hating Holmgren.

You're welcome to hate him if you want and you have valid evidence to do so, but it sounds like some of you are really making it your life's work to assassinate him. Let's calm down a bit.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:18 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post

If you read the article, he also says he wants to hit 1000 games played in the league as a personal achievement, which will require he play out the contract.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Wow some of you guys are pathetic. Taking the words from kimmo's mouth and twisting them to ensure that they support your hate of holmgren. You are worse than the media

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:02 PM
mirimon

Yeah, I'll have to say that some of you guys are reading way too much into this.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

In all honesty when I read his comment about coming back and being in a "similar situation" ..I took it to playing a grueling season and trying to win the cup after being so damn close. He's been playing a lot of years and at a high level and logging big minutes. To not reach one of your goals b/c you just petered out as a team and had a below avg goaltender in net for the series has to be disheartening. I don't blame him. I'm sure his competitive juices will kick in ...they will have to. Laviolette is going to have to come up with a lot of new inspiring ways to get the guys who took the loss real hard like Richards and Timonen to compete at their highest level again. Look at Pronger...lost it in Edmonton and he's still has had strong mental fortitude. He'll corner Timonen and Richards if they do the whoa is me act too long and give them some massive noogies!

I have to say though to take his words and twist them is obviously "funner" b/c of the the dislike for Holmgren and Leighton....but yeah it's kind of baseless. However, if Leighton doesn't hold his own this year and needs to be baby sat and have the D play flawless well players like Timonen will have a harder time getting out of their mental funk...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I can't even imagine how much that sucks though.

Imagine working as hard as you can for 10 straight months, constantly being dogged by a really incompetent co-worker who ****s up a lot of your good work, coming this close to retiring with a huge salary (I'll equivocate that and winning the Stanley Cup), and then that co-worker ****s you over hugely.

Then, not only that, instead of being fired, that coworker gets a raise worth 3x his previous salary and you know you'll go through the same thing next year.
Boo Hoo. I think(at least hope) that the interview was taken out of context. If I was paid 6+ mill a year to play hockey man I would be loving life

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Boo Hoo. I think(at least hope) that the interview was taken out of context. If I was paid 6+ mill a year to play hockey man I would be loving life
Every study ever done has shown that achievement and pride in one's work matter a million times more than how much money you make.

He lost in the finals. It's gonna suck the wind out of you for awhile.

Learn a little about how people work before you start a self-righteous "boo hoo" against them.

You have zero right to cheer for the guy imho, given what you said.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:46 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Agreed, it's quite pathetic to be honest. Montreal aside, I have to say that our fanbase complains more than anyone else.

What is wrong with a fanbase that complains? We support a product with our time, money, and love, and expect success.

Lack of success yields complaints because of our investment.

Look at the Phillies in 08, and how the fanbase reacted to them. Then look at 09. There were complaints, but good lord, can success shut people up.

We want a team (from management down) who appears to be doing every single thing to make this franchise the pinnacle of hockey. We don't see it from certain parts (mostly Holmgren, the guy in Adirondack, a certain former coach, and a certain goalie).

That is all.

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Wow some of you guys are pathetic. Taking the words from kimmo's mouth and twisting them to ensure that they support your hate of holmgren. You are worse than the media
Timonen said X...

What Timonen actually meant was Y...

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:06 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
This.

You're welcome to hate him if you want and you have valid evidence to do so, but it sounds like some of you are really making it your life's work to assassinate him. Let's calm down a bit.
I agree with you, had Homer won a cup last season some on this board would not have given him any credit at all. And if Timmo and some Flyers are having some MENTAL issues......how bout BOSTON ? They all must be seeing shrinks 24-7.......

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:27 PM
The Saw Is the Law

I believe Kimmo will be ready for next season when he arrive to USA and see his teammates like training as hell. Pronger will also tell nice story about losing Stanley Cup in 2006 and lifting it 2007.

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:54 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
"The dream lives on. Now I know concretely what it takes to win the Cup. It's a long and bumpy road, but I want to experience that feeling. We got so close that the will to go all the way motivates a lot."
I think his head is in the right place, but hes just drained emotionally. Like being in a long relationship with someone, and then breaking it off. 9 times out of 10, youre eager to get right back in it (sometimes even knowing that there would stil be the same problems )

edit:unless youre cheated on or something

Last edited by CerpinTaxt: 08-28-2010 at 04:02 PM.
CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:58 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
This.

I've been saying this for a while, and is usually the basis of any argument I get into when on the "Fire Homer" topic. Good luck with that. I'm not happy with a good portion of Homer's moves either (as much as I think there's more behind the scenes than everyone seems to think) but I'm not going to throw the guy off a bridge for it.

Trying to get this point across is like trying to argue the theory of evolution to a hardcore religious fanatic.

But I chalk it up to the same stuff as the 9/11 or JFK Truthers. No matter how much proof you shove in their ear, they're so behind their idea that it's a conspiracy that it all goes in one ear and out the other.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:00 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
What Holmgren to Timonen: We have Boucher and Lieghton as out goalies at the start of next season. "What can you do?"
Oh, and I picked up some guys who can cut you some slack. We dont need you to play 25-28 minutes a night anymore.

Hope this helps come playoff time.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:00 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

The Flyers might have lost in the finals because of Leighton, but they also got to the finals because of him. He came in against the Bruins and stopped the bleeding and he stoned the Habs.

You people can't just say Leighton sucks because he was sub-par against the Hawks!

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
This.

Do you honestly think that if we had brought in a competent goalie, Kimmo would be talking about this? I personally don't think so, it would be all, "We know we can get there and we feel like we have a legitimate chance to win."

Kimmo knows what most of us do, we got really ****ing lucky in who we played in the POs and the first time we faced an above-average offense, our goalie got absolutely slaughtered.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote