HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks are interested in Marc Staal

Old
08-28-2010, 02:22 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

vCash: 500
Would Heatley interest you guys?

JPavs8Clutchy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:23 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
No, I didn't forget him. I left him off the list because I want nothing to do with him. Thanks for playing.
You don't want anything to do with the playoffs at all?

I'd rather choke in the playoffs than not be in them.

Old
08-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPavs8Cluthcy View Post
He did last summer, but we offered somewhat of a pitiful package, so I cant imagine Sather would cut losses and trade Staal for him at this point, but who knows.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:

Trying to put words in my mouth just makes you look foolish. Insinuating that we're far removed from the playoffs is the icing on the clown-cake.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:54 PM
John Torturella

Quote:

Wow. You are good at making things up. If the Rangers trade Staal for Thornton straight up, they miss the playoffs because they have no defense. Staal is the anchor for this team's back end.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:20 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
You forgot this guy named Joe Thornton.
I don't think he forgot him, he purposely left him out. We're not ready to trade away our young #1 d-man (who is 23 years old, and has plenty of time and room to develop), who will be the anchor of our defense for many years to come.

I am really high on Thornton. Honestly, I think he is really an underrated player in the league, and should be mentioned with players like Malkin and Crosby (for regular season play at least). But, you have to remember that he is 31. Who knows when he will start to decline? I know his game really isn't showing that yet, but, it is still hard to predict when it will happen.

I would rather have a true #1 who has at the very least 9 more great seasons in him, over a 31 year old Joe Thornton. This is by no means a knock on Thornton at all. He is truly an excellent player.

Their is no player on the Sharks that I would give up for Staal. If it was a package, that would be a different story.

Staal will be a Ranger, his agent even said it yesterday. Sather said he will match pretty much any offer sheet thrown the Rangers way. IMO, only at about 7M would the Rangers not match, and I doubt any team would offer that much.

Sather isn't a fool when it comes to RFAs in general. While many will disagree, I feel that he dealt with Dubinsky and Callahan quite well, due to the cap situation we are in. Slats only sucks at UFA signings. When it comes to trading and RFA signings, Sather does a pretty good job.

With that said, I don't see any situation where Staal is traded to the Sharks, or any other team for that matter.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:21 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
You forgot this guy named Joe Thornton.
Staal's value to this specific Rangers team is far greater than Thornton's. You're not looking at this trade from our POV.

Gaborik doesn't need a Thornton centering him to be successful. Nobody on our blue-line has what it takes to replace Staal today, or down the road.

Rangers were in the Heatley running, but Sather didn't want to include Dubinsky. Staal's value is a hell of a lot higher than Dubi's.

SJS and NYR are not ideal trading partners. Nothings gonna happen.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:28 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Quote:
Only if Redden is going the other way, which will never happen.

Quote:

Losing our best defensemen and adding a #1C doesn't automatically make us a contender. We missed the playoffs due to one shootout. It's not like the Rangers were far from a playoff team. They were pretty much the closest to the playoffs as you possibly can be.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:31 PM
dynamoovechkin

First of all, SJ is not one to just throw offer sheets out there. The Hjalmarsson thing was an attempt to put a thorn in Chicago's side while they were shedding salary and dismantling the cup winning team. Dougie Wilson is as shrewd as they come- an underrated GM IMO.

Second, SJ is not looking to add salary at this point. They are fiscally responsible, and I was surprised (slightly) that they brought Marleau back at such a high cap hit.

Even though their big weakness is on the blueline, they are NOT going after Marc Staal with an offer sheet. Even if by trade, I don't think they have the player/ combination of players that we would need in return. Plus nobody fleeces Doug Wilson.

Total non-starter.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:54 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Did someone just compare Dubinsky to Pavelski?

That's probably one of the funnier things I've read. Dubinsky can't hold Pavelski's jock strap, nevermind being better.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:12 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post

That's probably one of the funnier things I've read. Dubinsky can't hold Pavelski's jock strap, nevermind being better.
Dubi is two years younger and put up nearly as many points one a much worse team. Right now, Pavelski is better. When Dubi is Pavelski's age? I think it's entirely probably that Dubi will be better than Pavelski is now.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:17 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:

You're overrating Pavelski and underrating Dubinsky. Pavelski had just 7 more points in 2 less games, and offensive support he has over there is far and away superior to what we have here. Even if he doesn't regularly play with those guys, they are on that team and I'm sure he saw plenty of time with some of them.

Dubinsky is NOT better, but to say he can't hold Pavelski's jock strap is just idiotic. Especially when you laid down no reasoning behind the statement

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:22 PM
In The Flesh

I'm not attached to Marc Staal, he's def. "touchable" imo. We have an above average supply of decent D prospects, which helps.

Only fear in having the worst D in the league is a trade request from The King, which would suck, but very fair.

In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:26 PM
eco's bones

Quote:

At this point in time Dubinsky and Pavelski are both 2nd liners. Pavelski may be a better one but the difference isn't that great and Pavelski is a little older. I also like Dubinsky's more physical aspect.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
JPavs8Clutchy*

If we traded Heatley to NYR for Staal, would you guys want to send Roszival back?

Old
08-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
At this point in time Dubinsky and Pavelski are both 2nd liners. Pavelski may be a better one but the difference isn't that great and Pavelski is a little older. I also like Dubinsky's more physical aspect.
I think many Shark fans look at his monster playoff performance he had. Something you can't ignore and are probably looking for him to have a breakout season.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
If we traded Heatley to NYR for Staal, would you guys want to send Roszival back?
We wouldn't trade Staal for Heatley straight up. For numerous reason's. Why would we add anything on top? Rozsival doesn't have negative value. He's no Redden.

How the hell does this swap improve the Rangers?

You're not getting Staal because you're not going to give up enough for him. And I absolutely do agree we'll be asking for too much to make it a realistic scenario.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:37 PM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shat Scar View Post
Pavelski and that's about it.
plus something else. but Staal will resign no doubt about it.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:39 PM
Killem Dafoe
waf fi

vCash: 50
Quote:
that would be interesting. we might actually go for it if we hadn't just signed Frolov because as it stands now we have too many forwards. Heatley Dubinsky Gaborik would be a sick line.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:47 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2forsbergaura1 View Post
I'm assuming the only way you get him is through an offer sheet like the one thrown at Hjalmarsson...only for a bit more money.

Sather is stupid enough to low ball every good RFA we have...like he did last year with Callahan and Dubinsky. This might teach him a lesson and hopefully get him fired.
It's in the Rangers best interest to get a player for his lowest demand. There is a salary cap after all. You pretty much have to overpay for "free" agents because there is more competition for their services.

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:53 PM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagrcantakeyou View Post
that would be interesting. we might actually go for it if we hadn't just signed Frolov because as it stands now we have too many forwards. Heatley Dubinsky Gaborik would be a sick line.
I think we have a winner for the name Dubi post's under on HFboards.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 05:55 PM
azrok22

Frankly, as we saw with Dubinsky, Sather holds practically all the leverage in this situation.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 06:04 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I think many Shark fans look at his monster playoff performance he had. Something you can't ignore and are probably looking for him to have a breakout season.
That's all true but Dubinsky has shown well in both playoff series he's been in. He's been one of our better players both times.

From my own point of view as a Ranger fan Pavelski isn't enough for Staal at all and it would wreck our defense. You--as a Devils fan surely recognize that. Staal is never going to be a big point producer but he is a rock on defense already and he's good enough offensively where you can't take him for granted. He is the guy that gets the Ovechkin, Malkin and Crosby assignments as much as possible. Now this McDonagh kid may be able to take some of the load off that in the future but got to see how quickly he gets up to speed. For now for us having a decent defense group Staal is almost irreplaceable.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Lone Ranger

If we traded Staal for Heatley, even with the King, we'd be playing a lot of 6-5 games.

Lone Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
do you know anything about the rangers or are you just spewing bs

If we were to give you staal AND rosy for Heatley we would have given you our #1 and #3 defensmen for one offensive player

talk about a decimated d-group....

girardi-redden
mdz - eminger
mcdonagh - valentenko/sauer...etcccc

THIS IS CRAZYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote