HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Found a great way to lace up!

Old
08-25-2010, 03:17 PM
PDX Coyotes

vCash: 500
Found a great way to lace up!

So my legs and ankles aren't really strong, so I need all the support in the boots that I can get. The problem is, when I lace up really tight, I lose a lot of forward flexibility in my ankles.

So I took the advice of a friend, and skipped the 3rd eyelet (from the top) when I laced up. Instead of crossing the laces over to the next eyelet up, I just ran straight up from the 4th to the 2nd and then crossed over through the 1st like normal and tied up nice and tight.

Now I have the lower portion of my skate firmly supporting my foot, flexibility in my ankle (without any sideways wobbling), and the top of the boot still holds my shin tightly.

Stupidly brilliant!

Last edited by PDX Coyotes: 08-25-2010 at 03:46 PM.
PDX Coyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I used to do that for a while until I got skates that fit properly. Lacing can help problems quite a bit.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Frankie Spankie

I should try it that way. I tried skipping the second eyelet and liked it. I then tried skipping the top eyelet and liked it even more so I still do it that way. I should try skipping the third eyelet for once.

I actually use 108" laces instead of the normal 120" just because I never use all the eyelets anymore. You may want to consider the same if you have a lot of excess lace.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 10:29 PM
kirsi

i will try this tomorrow! i always feel like my skates are not tight enough, but if i tie them tight my feet fall asleep occasionally (lol..) and my movement isn't as good. but i hate that wobbly feeling. thanks.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 06:02 AM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX Coyotes View Post
So my legs and ankles aren't really strong, so I need all the support in the boots that I can get. The problem is, when I lace up really tight, I lose a lot of forward flexibility in my ankles.

So I took the advice of a friend, and skipped the 3rd eyelet (from the top) when I laced up. Instead of crossing the laces over to the next eyelet up, I just ran straight up from the 4th to the 2nd and then crossed over through the 1st like normal and tied up nice and tight.

Now I have the lower portion of my skate firmly supporting my foot, flexibility in my ankle (without any sideways wobbling), and the top of the boot still holds my shin tightly.

Stupidly brilliant!
Can you post a picture of what it looks like? I always have a problem with my left skate not supporting my foot properly enough.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 12:03 PM
PDX Coyotes

I'll try to get a picture of it posted today.

Old
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
qwertysac

Quote:
I'll try to get a picture of it posted today.
Cool that would be helpful, i'm having a hard time picturing how this would look

also, im not sure i understand how this gives you more support or allows you to tie the laces tighter?

Last edited by qwertysac: 08-27-2010 at 12:57 PM.
qwertysac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:20 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

I got to try it!

Coyotes fans are so smart.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:48 AM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I got to try it!

Coyotes fans are so smart.
Pack mentality!

You would think that skipping the 4th eyelet would be better, but for me it wasn't. You may want to try that, too. It might help to know that I wear my shin guards on the outside of the tongue, as well.

Best of luck!

Old
08-27-2010, 10:02 AM
qwertysac

You're saying your ankles are weak, that you feel like you need more support and THOSE are the skates you play with? OUCH

Not to sound like an *** hole but you can't go out and buy the cheapest/crappiest skates out there and expect adequate protection and support.

If you ask me, unless it's for leasure skating, all hockey skates under ~175$ are garbage.

Old
08-27-2010, 10:49 AM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
You're saying your ankles are weak, that you feel like you need more support and THOSE are the skates you play with? OUCH

Not to sound like an *** hole but you can't go out and buy the cheapest/crappiest skates out there and expect adequate protection and support.

If you ask me, unless it's for leasure skating, all hockey skates under ~175$ are garbage.
If I ask you? I don't think I did. Plus, you tried not to sound like an *** hole, but you wound up sounding like one anyway.

Thanks for your valuable input.

Old
08-27-2010, 11:17 AM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
If I ask you? I don't think I did. Plus, you tried not to sound like an *** hole, but you wound up sounding like one anyway.

Thanks for your valuable input.
Wellll....he might have a point though, as higher-end skates generally will provide more support.

Did you try several different skate models/manufacturers before purchasing this pair? (They could be perfect for you, its just a good idea to try several before buying).

I have a VERY similar issue trying to find the right balance between tight enough for good support, and keeping them loose enough to be comfortable and avoiding tendon burn. I have to tie my skates several times before the open hockey/game starts until I find the "right" comfort level, which is why I wear out laces rather frequently.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 03:54 PM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
Wellll....he might have a point though, as higher-end skates generally will provide more support.

Did you try several different skate models/manufacturers before purchasing this pair? (They could be perfect for you, its just a good idea to try several before buying)..
I'm sure more expensive skates are better, which is why they are more expensive. Let me put this into perspective: I'm 34 and started ice skating when I was 33... yep 1 whole year ago. Now, let's add that I'm a working-class stiff with a busy schedule, a wife, and two elementary age kids at home depending on me to win the bread. All of that comes way before hockey. Let's also throw in the fact that I play in a summer beer league, once a week (with no practices) with people who have never even skated before. What's that all add up to?
-No time for myself
-No money for myself
-No interest on spending the time or money that I don't have, worrying about trying to be a superstar in a beginner's beer league.

In my present situation, I could never justify even looking at $175+ skates, so I get to make the best of what I got, and what I got requires me to skip the 3rd eyelet. I was merely providing a quick tip to other new guys that may actually improve their game without having to spend a nickel on gear that they may not even use to its full potential.

Quote:
I have a VERY similar issue trying to find the right balance between tight enough for good support, and keeping them loose enough to be comfortable and avoiding tendon burn. I have to tie my skates several times before the open hockey/game starts until I find the "right" comfort level, which is why I wear out laces rather frequently.
I tried this too. I would lace em up, walk around, skate warmups, and end up re-tying them on the bench during the game. So far, with skipping one hole, I haven't had to do that once. It works for me, maybe it'll work for other people... but probably not for the elitists who are obviously better than I am because they own $400 skates... (not saying you are, btw)

Old
08-27-2010, 05:47 PM
kirsi

I have some pain around my ankles and stuff and feel like I need to tie my skates very tight which results in my feet occasionally falling asleep, and I talked to a guy at my LHS about this. he said it would help for me to go up to a higher end skate, but the ones i have now are fine (until i start playing more and it bothers me more), just don't tie them quite as tight. i wear junior skates, so thankfully it will not cost as much to upgrade (i have a bauer x15 skates)

but if for me or anyone else this method works... i don't see a problem

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:59 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

I started in March of this year at 42 with 2 kids in early school, so I'm even more of a noob. As the primary breadwinner, I get to decide what gets spent on hockey

I WISHED they had a true beginner's league/division here, but sadly no...or if they had a 40 or even a 30-and-over league...one can only dream...

Old
08-27-2010, 08:39 PM
qwertysac

Quote:
As the primary breadwinner, I get to decide what gets spent on hockey
haha out of curiosity, what kind of skates do you have?

Old
08-27-2010, 08:40 PM
qwertysac

Skates, like anything you buy, you get what you pay for. In the long run those 175$ skates will be worth your money way more than the 70-80$ ones.

We can also look at this from another angle.

You said yourself, you have a wife, 2 kids, and a job. Dont you think its worth spending a bit more to have that extra level of protection to insure the next shot you take off the skate doesnt stop you from being able to go to work the next morning?

Just saying...

Last edited by qwertysac: 08-28-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Old
08-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Trojan35

Tried it and hated it. Glad it's working for you, but for me it didn't do a good enough job of keeping my heel in the back of the boot.

Trojan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:16 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I found a pair of Vapor XXV's for about $40 on Craigslist. Looked rough but if you know what fits your foot you can get high end skates used for not a lot of cash.

If the cheap skates work for you, great...but I wouldn't be skating more than a few times a year with them. They'll fall apart surprisingly quickly and hurt your performance, which sucks when you're trying to improve.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:47 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
haha out of curiosity, what kind of skates do you have?
Graf ultra g70s...I happened to be in a local sporting goods store yesterday to get some tape, and walked by the skate section just to take a look.

The Bauer supreme one 100s were simply smashing...super lightweight and that interior felt incredible. I have a pair of cheapie $50 Bauers I bought to see if I could skate at all before splurging on a better product, and they were quite comfortable. Am wondering if I should have gotten a top-of-the line Bauer...

I might still be wearing the Grafs in 10 years, but still not quite there comfort-wise yet, and I'm 6 months in, having skated 2-3x per week.

Old
08-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Quote:

bullcrap, I got a pair of RBK "Sid the Kid" SC87 3's at Sports Mart over a year and a half ago, for $149 on sale (2008 or 2009 model.. im not sure), and I still skate circles around mostly everyone I play with.

I dunno what they compare to in the current RBK hockey skate lineup, but they'd be in the middle to lower I'd think.

under 100, maybe... but Christ, you don't need $300 skates to be a good skater.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:08 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanconn View Post
bullcrap, I got a pair of RBK "Sid the Kid" SC87 3's at Sports Mart over a year and a half ago, for $149 on sale (2008 or 2009 model.. im not sure), and I still skate circles around mostly everyone I play with.

I dunno what they compare to in the current RBK hockey skate lineup, but they'd be in the middle to lower I'd think.

under 100, maybe... but Christ, you don't need $300 skates to be a good skater.
No doubt, you could take a great skater and stick him in $50 skates, and he'd be better than most anyone else even in top-of-the-line $800 skates.

I think the issue though is more personal comfort and stability while skating, since from those come confidence and the opportunity to push and become better. I suck as a skater, and know my skates are well above my level, but hoped that over time 2 things would happen:

1-the skates would become more comfortable as they wore in
2-I'd get better, and grow in skill towards the level of skate I'd purchased

So far, more of #2 has occurred, not so much #1.

Old
08-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

there's a picture of my $150 skates. I believe they were 199 or a little over 200 regular price.

first pair of hockey skates I bought in 5 years since I quit playing hockey in high-school, and found them to have just as good support as my old bauer supremes and vapours. + they look a lot nicer, imo, which is a plus.

for most people who are just getting into the game, or learning to skate, cheaper skates are usually better since they won't be super stiff. I would never buy a pair of sub $100 skates, but I really think such statements like "all skates under $175 are bad" need to be taken with a grain of salt. A lot of skates under $175 might be crappy, but you can always find good deals during the summer.

I teach skating every winter, and during the "parent and tot" classes, there's always one parent every year usually a doctor or someone, who goes out and buys $500 skates and can barely move once they get on the ice... maybe they'd be hopeless either way, but I think a less stiff skate would help em out, lol.

When I bought these, i compared them to a pair of Easton's and Bauer Vapour 20's? maybe a lower number.. not sure, but both the other ones were well over $200 and I ended up liking the $150 on sale skates the best. Stiff enough for my liking, and not built cheap, even though they were made in Thailand

Last edited by Cowbell232: 08-29-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:56 AM
frito

Tried it on my CCM 1052 (a $400 skate when first introduced - got for $130 on clearence). I've never been able to find right balance between foot/ankle support and forward flexation mobility. I tried it last night and really liked it. I laced up to the white "lock down", skipped the next eyelet and laced the final two. It was my first time on the ice in a month so my skating was generally off but I liked the feel of the lacing. I think I'm going to stick with it.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:47 AM
PDX Coyotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan35 View Post
Tried it and hated it. Glad it's working for you, but for me it didn't do a good enough job of keeping my heel in the back of the boot.
That's cool. At least you gave it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frito View Post
Tried it on my CCM 1052 (a $400 skate when first introduced - got for $130 on clearence). I've never been able to find right balance between foot/ankle support and forward flexation mobility. I tried it last night and really liked it. I laced up to the white "lock down", skipped the next eyelet and laced the final two. It was my first time on the ice in a month so my skating was generally off but I liked the feel of the lacing. I think I'm going to stick with it.
Awesome! Hopefully it will help you as much as it helps me.