HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Engels: "if the Canadiens are not interested in Guerin, they're foolish"

Old
08-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Why should I care what this Engels guy has to say. There's nothing "foolish" about not being interested in guerin at this stage of his career.

Sounds like somebody wants attention.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:56 AM
Komarov47

Guerin isn't interested in Montreal.
http://www.danslescoulisses.com/site...page&Itemid=64

/Thread

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:54 AM
Garbage Goal

Anybody who thinks Guerin is a good option now is either foolish or uninformed themselves.

The guy is going to turn 40 next season and he couldn't cut it playing alongside the best center and arguably the best player in the league. No way he'll cut it on a team like the Habs.

He's washed up, simple as that. If he were a viable option then either the Pens would have kept him or another team would have signed him by now.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Anybody who thinks Guerin is a good option now is either foolish or uninformed themselves.

The guy is going to turn 40 next season and he couldn't cut it playing alongside the best center and arguably the best player in the league. No way he'll cut it on a team like the Habs.

He's washed up, simple as that. If he were a viable option then either the Pens would have kept him or another team would have signed him by now.
I think he could help the Habs at around 1 mil. Not as a full time top 6 winger as AK and Pouliot have more in the tank than him, but as a 3rd liner who can play the PP and occasionally jump in to push those 2 mentionned above(or in case of injuries). If he can bring 15-20 goals, good leadership along with size along the boards, he would be an asset to the team.

An Eller-Lapierre-Guerin line could be a very good 3rd line leaving Boyd-Moen-Pyatt-Darche-White for the 4th.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABbiest View Post
...Or we can make our third line useful and play them, Something like an energy line? Somebody like White could play well with lapierre and Boyd which would create a up tempo style of play which is useful. Im not talking about playing a future first or second liner on the third or fourth line. I'm simply saying instead of wasting 1m on Guerin we could use one of our young guys who will become a third liner in the future and can actually keep up with todays NHL.
Nice idea, but the practical reality to me is that the Habs are not likely to do that. Granted sometimes Martin takes a shine to a young guy. Pyatt, say. But more likely, they get relegated to the sidelines a la Pacioretty, Chipchura, D'Agostini when Martin can't live with the holes in their game. White has holes. I like him a lot and I'd live with them. I don't expect Martin would. I'd like to be surprised about that. But when it came down to relegating White to the sidelines, I'd rather have Owen Nolan or Bill Guerin to replace him in the everyday rotation than Mathieu Darche, say.

But anyway, clearly the Habs are planning to go with the young guys out of the gate. I am very fine with this. I presume it is Gauthier's brainchild. I am not convinced that it will work out, but that's up to the young players and Martin to sort out. It looks like there will be some veteran replacement options available as free agents even past the start of the season too. It may well be that you don't need to get your insurance policies under contract in the summer anymore, you can always sign up at a later date, if needed, and if that's the new paradigm, then it makes financial sense - and player development sense - to ride that new wave.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:31 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam A Larry View Post
Lang was great for us, probably our best player in 2008-2009.
Smolinski was great in the playoffs.

It's also funny how you don't talk about Gill, who put MVP-worthy performances in the playoffs.
Lang was solid, but calling him "great for us" is a typical exaggeration. he was better than expected, but that's in part because the expectations were quite low. In the end he was a 4M$ player that cost us a draft pick and gave us 40pts in 50 games before going down with an injury.... that's far from "great".
Markov says hello.

Funny how you like to use the word "great"...

Smolinsky was so "great" for us in those playoffs that he earned himself a promotion to the IHL the following season.
His signing was nothing short of an epic failure, paid too highly for a player that did not contribute much on-ice, no way to know how much of an impact he had in the dressing room, but I don't recall anyone singing his praises for his leadership and mentoring of young players.

Gill was effective playing the using his big stick in the "turtle" defense that helped us pull off those two major upsets... but MVP worthy??? come on man, that's not even a stretch, it's pure fallacy.
You ever see an MVP award go to a player with 1 pt in 18 games?
halak, cammalleri, plekanec, gorges, subban, gionta, gomez... forget about those guys did ya?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:53 AM
Subban76

Pittsburgh as no wingers at all for their top 2 lines (except Kunitz and is not that good) and they don't want a Bill Guerin at 1-1.5M...enough said!

Why would we want him???? He is finished.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:51 AM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

ya we all know how things went down when we signed the last Pens scraps....

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:54 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

i remember i was always making a trade for him in nhl96 on my sega genesis

its 2010 now

JeromeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:55 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
Pittsburgh as no wingers at all for their top 2 lines (except Kunitz and is not that good) and they don't want a Bill Guerin at 1-1.5M...enough said!

What if we sign him for the 3rd line...for depth and experience?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:07 AM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
You ever see an MVP award go to a player with 1 pt in 18 games?
scott stevens only had 11 pts when he won it.

hal gill wasn't the main mvp for the canadiens had they won the cup but he would have been top three with cammalleri and halak.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:24 AM
MaKi

People saying he was useless for the Pens in the playoffs last year are kidding themselves. I'm not saying I want him on the Habs, and whether or not we need him is debatable at best, but he was the main reason the Pens were able to solve Halak in that first game. Guys like Guerin and Knuble are hot goalie kryptonite. You definately need a certain talent level on your team before you can carry around a player who is step behind the play, just to put in front of the net, which is the reason I don't think the Habs would be a good fit for Guerin specifically. However it would be nice to have a player do what Guerin, Knuble, and Holmstrom do. I mean Gionta tries to do it, but they should some isolations of it last year in the playoffs and the goalie could often see over his head.

MaKi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Kafka

We got rid of Laraque and Latendresse. I don't see how Guerin would be a better fit.

STOP POSTING ABOUT INKING SLOW FORWARDS

They won't fit on this team.

The only one that was worth signing was Raffi Torres. Since he's now with Vancouver, we'll need to trade for a forward eventually if AK and Pouliots can't win battles along the boards.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

hal gill wasn't the main mvp for the canadiens had they won the cup but he would have been top three with cammalleri and halak.
Guerin is a forward, his duty is to get goals and produce.
Stevens was a defenseman, his main duty was to play Dman.

I don't see why you're comparing point production here.

You can say Hal Gill was as important as Gorges. But like I mentioned, both are Dmen. Production is not nearly as important (if at all) as it is for a forward.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Tray4Adams

Who is this guy?

Just because he has a blog on Eklund of all people's sites he thinks his opinion is the only one that matters?

Guerin was washed up when Pitts signed him, it's amazing what a player like Crosby can do.

No offence to Pleks or Gomez, they would not be able to help Guerin and Guerin would not be able to help the Habs.

Tray4Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:49 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

I agree with the who is this guy comment?

I could blog on EK's site. Personally the only person on there who has even an ounce of credibility is strickland.. and only when it comes to Blues news.

And for the record. Engels isn't a member here, so I can call him a moron. lol

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:32 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
for the right price

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 03:57 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Nice idea, but the practical reality to me is that the Habs are not likely to do that. Granted sometimes Martin takes a shine to a young guy. Pyatt, say. But more likely, they get relegated to the sidelines a la Pacioretty, Chipchura, D'Agostini when Martin can't live with the holes in their game. White has holes. I like him a lot and I'd live with them. I don't expect Martin would. I'd like to be surprised about that. But when it came down to relegating White to the sidelines, I'd rather have Owen Nolan or Bill Guerin to replace him in the everyday rotation than Mathieu Darche, say.

But anyway, clearly the Habs are planning to go with the young guys out of the gate. I am very fine with this. I presume it is Gauthier's brainchild. I am not convinced that it will work out, but that's up to the young players and Martin to sort out. It looks like there will be some veteran replacement options available as free agents even past the start of the season too. It may well be that you don't need to get your insurance policies under contract in the summer anymore, you can always sign up at a later date, if needed, and if that's the new paradigm, then it makes financial sense - and player development sense - to ride that new wave.
Pac and D'agostini weren't relegated to the sidelines. They were given consistent top 6 minutes. They relegated themselves to the sidelines by being useless pieces of crap.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:58 AM
FF de Mars

Guerin would bring depth. He would also bring an element of revenge when playing against Pittsburgh. I had that crazy idea. Imagine if we signed both Nolan and Guerin. We'd have a lot of depth on our top 9. I don't know if those two dinosaurs can play in the NHL anymore, though. But they'd add an element. And we'd have a flexible line up. All right, F1 time ! Belgium. Go Red Bull, go Vettel !

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:37 AM
eddy

I would stay away unless he came really cheap. Put up good numbers for a guy his age but as many have already mentioned those numbers are inflated due to who he's been playing with.

eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:11 AM
therazor67

Bill Gurin, too old, too slow. finished

therazor67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

We passed on younger more active wingers to sign this guy? Unless Gauthier is smoking some serious crack this is as close to impossible as it comes. Although I've seen worst signing before, hopefully not by us this time.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:38 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Pac and D'agostini weren't relegated to the sidelines. They were given consistent top 6 minutes. They relegated themselves to the sidelines by being useless pieces of crap.
But the point is, White probably would be that often enough too, that he'd also get relegated. Pacioretty and D'Agostini had their moments. As would White. Regardless of role or minutes. But sooner or later, they will prove to be what they are: rookies, inexperienced, inconsistent. Martin won't play them through that. Probably. Reasonable from him, also reasonable that some others amongst us would play them through it. But he's the one who gets to make the call, sooooo...

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:08 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post

This. The fact that Engels thinks we a are foolish for not being interested, infact makes him the fool.

Our wingers >>>>>> Pittsburghs.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post

?
first of all, not to split hairs and all, but one might reasonably suggest that there is a HUGE difference between 1 pt in 18 games and 11pts in 23 games... one contributes offensively once every 18 games, the other once every 2 games. Can you really not see the difference?

a more apt devils comparison would be Ken Danyeko... who was a very valuable member of the devils cup winning teams, but NEVER considered their MVP. Gill is much in the same boat.

He would not have been even a top 5 Conn Smythe candidate.
Halak, Cammy, Gionta, Pleks, Gomez, Subban all were more valuable all around, and as far as one-dimensional contributions go, having watched every playoff game, I'd argue strongly that Gorges was a bigger influence than Gill was, as Gorges didn't give up as much space as the immobile Gill did on a regular basis.

I mean let's stop and think for a second...

were you really trying to compare Gill to Stevens...
Stevens:
- all time leader in games played by a Dman
- 5x first or second NHL All-Star team
- 13 all-star games
- team captain (3 cups in the process)
- conn smythe winner
- .56 ppg regular season, .51ppg playoffs (and note that his lack of offensive production is the only thing that stopped him from being a Norris and potentially Hart trophy winner)

Gill
- .18 ppg regular season, .06ppg playoffs
- has a really big stick

im all for discussion, but it's hard to take someone seriously when they make such nonsensical comparisons.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote