HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Jani Hakanpaa...Jarmo's biggest steal?

Old
08-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Stealth JD
Drexel's dead!!!

vCash: 500
Jani Hakanpaa...Jarmo's biggest steal?

How about this kid? 6'5", 220 lbs, great skater for his size and decent puck skills. Despite having only seen him in video clips and 1 game at the WJC, I'm very impressed with his potential...much more so than Brett Ponich actually.

I'd be curious to see if any of our Finnish posters would give their opinion of him, as I think he's gonna surprise and make the Blues roster at some point. Guys like Fairchild, Berglund & Warsofsky are good to have in the system for depth...but I'd be surprised if any became NHL'ers (yes, I know Warsofsky was traded to BOS)...but this kid has the makings of a monster (cue Pierre McGuire clips), possessing tremendous upside...you can't teach size. He's hardly a lumbering idiot out on the ice and knows what to do on the opponents side of the red line. I'm very excited to follow his progression in the coming seasons. Anyone else?

(BTW...I'm not claiming to know everything about Hakanpaa...but figured he deserved his own thread - a place where we could get to know everything about our 2010 4th rounder.)

Stealth JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

vCash: 50
He is intriguing for sure. I can't wait to see more from him, but we wont see him in the N.A. for at least another year. If not longer.
It sucks, but I guess we need to find some links to Finnish games.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Cheli

HF's little blurb on him:

Quote:
In a country with so many small, slick-skating, offensive-minded defensemen Hakanpaa stands out simply because of his size. But after he spent the season playing in Finland's second junior league few knew what to expect when he joined Team Finland for the World U-18 Championships.

"He's obviously a good sized kid," said a coach who saw him in person for the first time at the Vierumaki prospect camp in June. "He's not the smoothest skater and his puck handling skills are a bit rough around the edges. But he's got good potential."

Hakanpaa seemed to handle the adjustment to a higher talent level playing in Belarus with the U-18 team - being recognized as a top three player on his team and also registering one goal and an assist in six games for the bronze medal-winning squad. He will have the chance to be tested again this fall when he moves up to SM-Liiga juniors with Espoo. Hakanpaa was ranked 55th among European skaters by CS.
Source: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...for2010_draft/

Cheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
How about this kid? 6'5", 220 lbs, great skater for his size and decent puck skills ... tremendous upside...you can't teach size. He's hardly a lumbering idiot out on the ice and knows what to do on the opponents side of the red line. I'm very excited to follow his progression in the coming seasons. Anyone else?
Oh, yes... I'll be checking the Finnish websites frequently for links and info on this kid. I can't read Finnish at all, other than to know that "malavahti" = "goaltender," but I can make inferences from the context in some cases.

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:14 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth JD View Post
How about this kid? 6'5", 220 lbs. I'm very excited to follow his progression in the coming seasons. Anyone else?
I'm also very excited about Jani Hakanpää. Finland have lack of defensive defencemen and lack of big players. This is both!

Next year Hakanpää will play in Blues. Not St. Louis Blues but Blues from Espoo, Finland. Sounds good?

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:14 AM
frankielax

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
I'm also very excited about Jani Hakanpää. Finland have lack of defensive defencemen and lack of big players. This is both!

Next year Hakanpää will play in Blues. Not St. Louis Blues but Blues from Espoo, Finland. Sounds good?
Any updates from across the pond would be most appreciated!!

frankielax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:14 AM
Robb_K

I, too, am looking forward to watching his progress. I also think he may be more like to reach his upside potential than Ponich. I will try to watch streamed games. From the highlights I've seen, he looks quite promising. I hope he can develop a mean streak to go along with his own zone net protecting.

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:48 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
I will try to watch streamed games.
I think Hakanpää will play next season in juniors. So there are no streams to watch. But he might get some games in SM-liiga, there will be at least chargeable stream.

I can do some reports about Hakanpää during season

Old
08-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
I think Hakanpää will play next season in juniors. So there are no streams to watch. But he might get some games in SM-liiga, there will be at least chargeable stream.

I can do some reports about Hakanpää during season
We will appreciate that.

Old
09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
The Saw Is the Law

Pre-season

In pre-season Hakanpää played in Team Finland's U20 camp. In USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp with Sweden and USA. Also in U20 4-Nations tuornament in Sweden (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Chezh Republic)

In USA HNJECamp Team Finland lost every game:
Sweden Finland 5-3
Finland USA 3-6
Finland Sweden 2-6
USA Finland 8-3

Hakanpää made 2 assists and 4 PIM in 4 games. Sad there is no +/- section in stats.

4-Nations U20 tournament Finland also lost every game...

Finland - Russia 1 - 2 (OT)
Sweden - Finland 4 - 1
Czech Republic - Finland 3 - 2

Hakanpää played in first line with Nico Manelius. Hakanpää was top scorer of Finland in that tournamen 1+1. 4 PIM, three shots on goal. +/- was 0, he got +2 and -2. I think its pretty good because Finland really sucked...

There is rare information about these tournaments, but stats look pretty good. Remember he is only 18 years old and these tournaments were U20. I think Hakanpää will be Finland's #1 defensive defenseman in WJC.

Old
09-07-2010, 10:47 AM
schronote

Quote:
In pre-season Hakanpää played in Team Finland's U20 camp. In USA Hockey National Junior Evaluation Camp with Sweden and USA. Also in U20 4-Nations tuornament in Sweden (Sweden, Finland, Russia, Chezh Republic)

Sweden Finland 5-3
Finland USA 3-6
Finland Sweden 2-6
USA Finland 8-3

Hakanpää made 2 assists and 4 PIM in 4 games. Sad there is no +/- section in stats.

Sweden - Finland 4 - 1

Hakanpää played in first line with Nico Manelius. Hakanpää was top scorer of Finland in that tournamen 1+1. 4 PIM, three shots on goal. +/- was 0, he got +2 and -2. I think its pretty good because Finland really sucked...

There is rare information about these tournaments, but stats look pretty good. Remember he is only 18 years old and these tournaments were U20. I think Hakanpää will be Finland's #1 defensive defenseman in WJC.
good stuff, appreciate the info on him and keep it coming whenever you can.

schronote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Tiina

200cm 101 kg at the moment

Tiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Deko

Last Friday Hakanpää scored his first goal of the season in 2nd game of regular season. He already has a +3 after just two games.

Deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 03:28 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiina View Post
200cm 101 kg at the moment
So he went from
195cm 6'5 ---->200cm 6'7
99kg 218lbs --->101kg 223lbs

Interesting to see if he grows more. I'll be watching Hakanpää at wednesday and will report here. Is there any special things that you guys want me to watch closely? I watched him in the first game but focused on other players. Loved his ability to pass quickly an quality backhand pass as first pass when he was on high pressure. He doesen't seem to have much offensive creativity tho but has good and heavy shot from point. He is good skater for his size, calm with the puck and physical without.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Last Friday Hakanpää scored his first goal of the season in 2nd game of regular season. He already has a +3 after just two games.
And, if Google Translate is working correctly, that was a shorthanded goal as well, was it not?

Prussian_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2012, 09:00 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:

Sweden Finland 5-3
Finland USA 3-6
Finland Sweden 2-6
USA Finland 8-3

Sweden - Finland 4 - 1

Thank you for the information. This sort of thing is why I come to this website.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
Thank you for the information. This sort of thing is why I come to this website.
That post was from two years ago.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 06:25 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
So he went from
195cm 6'5 ---->200cm 6'7
99kg 218lbs --->101kg 223lbs

Interesting to see if he grows more. I'll be watching Hakanpää at wednesday and will report here. Is there any special things that you guys want me to watch closely? I watched him in the first game but focused on other players. Loved his ability to pass quickly an quality backhand pass as first pass when he was on high pressure. He doesen't seem to have much offensive creativity tho but has good and heavy shot from point. He is good skater for his size, calm with the puck and physical without.
Ha! Ha! The kid is still skinny! Wait till he fills out. He'll be a monster! 6' 7 and 250-260 lb! He'll be a brick wall that's very mobile on the ice. Watch out Mr. Zdeno Chara!

Old
09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Ha! Ha! The kid is still skinny! Wait till he fills out. He'll be a monster! 6' 7 and 250-260 lb! He'll be a brick wall that's very mobile on the ice. Watch out Mr. Zdeno Chara!
Between him and Ponich, we should have a good center forward tandem on our basketball team. With Beach and Edmondson coming off the bench....

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Memento
Missourian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Between him and Ponich, we should have a good center forward tandem on our basketball team. With Beach and Edmondson coming off the bench....
Let's not forget Parayko. The kid's already six-four.

Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 09:52 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Steve Doan
Portugal. The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
It'd be a lot more impressive if he weren't wearing skates.

Steve Doan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Haite
x

vCash: 1089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
It'd be a lot more impressive if he weren't wearing skates.

How about a few fellow players also wearing skates? Granted, 5'9 2013 draftee Juuso Ikonen under his left arm makes for a bit unfair comparison.

Haite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 10:23 AM
ChicagoBlues

Is that Juhamatti in the foreground?

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 04:12 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
Is that Juhamatti in the foreground?
nah, JMA plays in the KHL. took a quick scan of the Espoo roser, seems to be a kid named Miro Aaltonen.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote