Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > WHL

1996's on the move

Old
08-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Protrainer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat Fink 65 View Post
My boys currently play in a community based hockey association.

Having myself not played hockey as a child nor having grown up where I currently live, my boys have had to make their respective AAA teams based on their own merits.

I actually count my blessings for not growing up in my community as the rumors start flying once the AAA rep teams are picked as to whom had the "wheel greased for them" and who didnt.

You really cant get away from that type of gossip unless youre trying out for a POE type program.

In my observations thus far, this whole Bantam Draft business completely takes away from the "team concept", to me it promotes "selfish" "look at me" type of play.

I have watched in the past however, teams like NSWC, BWC and Abby play and marvel at their ability to play a "team" game yet still look good individually!

If only some of these hotshot kids with aspirations to go on and play higher level hockey (and their parents) would realize is that hockey is a team game, and if you buy into that (team)concept your stock to a potential future team is immeasurable.

I see lots of talented kids playing for themselves and not the team...this leads to the infighting and parents and kids butting heads over who deserves the "limelight".

Very good points!

...and it's the dad's that fuel this BS as does major junior.

No way there should be a bantam draft as it fuels this and puts undo stress on the kids and turns dad's into lunatics pushing Johnny to make the show. I can't tell you how many kids I have seen over the years burn out because of "dad"'s dream of son making the show.

If there is such a draft at all it needs to at the end of first year midget at least or even after second year.

Last edited by Protrainer: 08-12-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Protrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
FBI

Who writes this stuff?

FBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Protrainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Who writes this stuff?

Why do you seem puzzled about our words? Why the sarcasm? Other scouts besides me think as I do as do many many hockey parents you know.
If you polled scouts privately they will tell you that drafting after first year midget is a better idea.

I feel sorry the dads that dream of Johnny making "The Show" and think their boy is going. I feel even more sorry for their boys.

PT

Last edited by Protrainer: 08-29-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Protrainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Rat Fink 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protrainer View Post
Why do you seem puzzled about our words? Why the sarcasm? Other scouts besides me think as I do as do many many hockey parents you know.

I feel sorry the dads that dream of Johnny making "The Show" and think their boy is going. I feel even more sorry for their boys.

PT
I have followed this thread closely, at times with amusement!
PT's previous comments have only offered opinions and reasonable advice. I agree that potential teams be it Major Midget, Junior A or WHL make it their business to know the "complete" picture and sometimes and unfortunately for the players this includes the parents. I am a hockey parent and my boys play AAA, and I have seen first hand how some parents desires and ambitions (even the best intentioned) can get in the way of the boys chances. Let the "hockey" do the talking...

Rat Fink 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:51 PM
946HOCKEY

I agree completely.....

Last edited by 946HOCKEY: 10-13-2010 at 01:45 PM.
946HOCKEY is offline   Reply With Quote