HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Am I the only one....

Old
08-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Shockley
Go Cats Go!

vCash: 498
Am I the only one....

that feels like we have a much more solid team than last year?

Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:15 PM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 500
Yes.

/thread

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Montsy14

The main difference I see from last season that makes this team better is competition. We have a lot of players fighting for starting positions this season, especially up front. This should make us a team that plays hard for 60 minutes a night and makes things difficult for the opponent. We have potential to score some goals (Booth, Frolik, Grabner, Weiss) and who knows, with Kitchen gone, we may see a change in defensive philosophy, so Vokoun doesn't face 40 shots a night.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:36 PM
gizmo12688

Regardless of what some may think, I don't think the team will tank this year. I'm not expecting them to make the playoffs either, but suggesting that the goal for Tallon this year is to finish dead last is crazy. We got rid of a lot of dead weight and added some nice complimentary pieces. With Booth back and healthy (please god), we can still put out a decent season and look toward the future.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:45 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
No, I don't think it will be a tank fest from the beginning. I think with good chemistry this team can squeak in at the 8th seed, I really do. I think Tallon made it a point to bring in good character guys and hard working guys that never throw the towel in. I think that's highly important for us to make the playoffs. A lot needs to go right, I mean, Higgins would need to have a good season or regain form, Bernier would have to prove useful (hopefully by clogging up the front of the net), Wideman would need to have a bounce back season (was magic in the playoffs), and the team as a whole would need to gel and come together. If it's one thing I haven't seen from this team in a long time, is true, good chemistry. We don't need the best players but if the chemistry is good, I think the results will follow.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
Regardless of what some may think, I don't think the team will tank this year. I'm not expecting them to make the playoffs either, but suggesting that the goal for Tallon this year is to finish dead last is crazy. We got rid of a lot of dead weight and added some nice complimentary pieces. With Booth back and healthy (please god), we can still put out a decent season and look toward the future.
I'm not suggesting Tallon's goal is tanking, but I personally (and selfishly) would like to tank. The only reason being is that I would just like a shot at one more high-end prospect -- currently either Larsson or Couturier -- to add to our future. Along with the pieces I hope we can pickup at the deadline by trading T-Vo, McCabe, Stillman, etc.

Also, tanking doesn't mean our guys have to have awful numbers. Look at Tampa, some of their guys put up great numbers and they finished with only three more points than we did. So guys like Weiss, Grabner, Frolik, etc. can still produce and we can still get that high pick. This is where I currently stand anyway.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 01:04 PM
panthersfan751

One thing to remember about last year though is that we were decimated by injuries to key players. Booth and Horton each missed significant time, while Weiss also missed a lot of time. Now we wouldn't have been a playoff team had everyone stayed healthy, but we would have finished higher than 14th in the East. This year, everyone's level of competition should be raised, because of the number of players we've brought in and the fact that a ton of players are in a contract year. I think the Horton deal might also make the players realize that just because we're in South Florida, it doesn't mean there isn't pressure to perform.

We've brought in some good young players this offseason, but there are too many "ifs". If we can stay healthy. If we can get consistent goal scoring. If we can play good defense. If everything goes right, we can make the playoffs. We could also end up with another lottery pick. I think the team should definitely try for the playoffs, and as a STH I won't be rooting for the #1 pick until it's clear we're not a playoff team. That being said, getting Couturier would help us immensely long term (I think more than Larsson), and finally give us a good group of centers. This team would be set at center with him, Weiss, Bjugstad, and Matthias.

panthersfan751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Hip to be Square

Yep. The only one.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 01:15 PM
Hip to be Square

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
I'm not suggesting Tallon's goal is tanking, but I personally (and selfishly) would like to tank. The only reason being is that I would just like a shot at one more high-end prospect -- currently either Larsson or Couturier -- to add to our future. Along with the pieces I hope we can pickup at the deadline by trading T-Vo, McCabe, Stillman, etc.

Also, tanking doesn't mean our guys have to have awful numbers. Look at Tampa, some of their guys put up great numbers and they finished with only three more points than we did. So guys like Weiss, Grabner, Frolik, etc. can still produce and we can still get that high pick. This is where I currently stand anyway.

-ghoste
Throw in reinprecht and I cannot wait until we trade those old farts.

Hip to be Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 01:44 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersfan751 View Post
One thing to remember about last year though is that we were decimated by injuries to key players. Booth and Horton each missed significant time, while Weiss also missed a lot of time. Now we wouldn't have been a playoff team had everyone stayed healthy, but we would have finished higher than 14th in the East. This year, everyone's level of competition should be raised, because of the number of players we've brought in and the fact that a ton of players are in a contract year. I think the Horton deal might also make the players realize that just because we're in South Florida, it doesn't mean there isn't pressure to perform.

We've brought in some good young players this offseason, but there are too many "ifs". If we can stay healthy. If we can get consistent goal scoring. If we can play good defense. If everything goes right, we can make the playoffs. We could also end up with another lottery pick. I think the team should definitely try for the playoffs, and as a STH I won't be rooting for the #1 pick until it's clear we're not a playoff team. That being said, getting Couturier would help us immensely long term (I think more than Larsson), and finally give us a good group of centers. This team would be set at center with him, Weiss, Bjugstad, and Matthias.
Actually, Booth is the only one who missed a lot of games. We got lucky with Horton because the Olympic break covered much of his abscence, and while partly ineffective because of his bad back, Weiss still played through it and still produced somewhat. If one or two of our main guys up front go down again for a Booth-like abscence, I think we're toast. This team needs to stay at least 90% healthy, and have minimal injuries to our best players, to make the playoffs.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Gudbranson44

its not impossible for us to make the playoffs, but the odds arent on our side. this character thing is blown out of proportion if u ask me.
ofc its really important with a good character team, but it wont get you the cup unless you have some talent to go along with it. and this team lacks that talent to take us to playoffs. unfortunately

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 03:22 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisournextbure View Post
its not impossible for us to make the playoffs, but the odds arent on our side. this character thing is blown out of proportion if u ask me.
ofc its really important with a good character team, but it wont get you the cup unless you have some talent to go along with it. and this team lacks that talent to take us to playoffs. unfortunately
i agree with this but the skill players are coming. grabner, frolik, and booth are and will be talented goal scorers. markstrom has both as well. kulikov adds the creativity and skilled dimension for the PP and gudbranson has meaness and toughness and if develops like we want him to will turn into a monster pronger-like clone if his offensive game develops into maybe 30-40+ points. we are lacking a GAME BREAKER though. someone who can be that guy that is relied on to win. bjugstad has the ability to become that player.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 03:29 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
i agree with this but the skill players are coming. grabner, frolik, and booth are and will be talented goal scorers. markstrom has both as well. kulikov adds the creativity and skilled dimension for the PP and gudbranson has meaness and toughness and if develops like we want him to will turn into a monster pronger-like clone if his offensive game develops into maybe 30-40+ points. we are lacking a GAME BREAKER though. someone who can be that guy that is relied on to win. bjugstad has the ability to become that player.
I hope to see this, this season. Kulikov showed a pretty good defensive game once he finally settled in, which is by no means a bad thing, but I really want to see this kid bring to the table the offensive game for which he was so highly touted for at the draft. He didn't show too much creativity last season, nor did he really get to wind up that monster slapper of his. I think he'll feel a lot more comfortable this season and hopefully his offensive skill will start to blossom.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 03:39 PM
FinlandPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booootthh View Post
I hope to see this, this season. Kulikov showed a pretty good defensive game once he finally settled in, which is by no means a bad thing, but I really want to see this kid bring to the table the offensive game for which he was so highly touted for at the draft. He didn't show too much creativity last season, nor did he really get to wind up that monster slapper of his. I think he'll feel a lot more comfortable this season and hopefully his offensive skill will start to blossom.
it was slowly coming along. i remember in a toronto game where he showed it. he ran the PP like a champ and scored 2 goals because of it. he pinches at the right time at makes good decisions for his age. the slapper he had on theodore was great as well.

FinlandPanther is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Cats Go

If we can keep away those injuries that ruined us last season.

Booth back, Kulikov with his second season, Grabner shines, Weiss keep up the goalscoring from last season and Higgins can find a way to score 20 goals again. And that ofc the Coon will shut the door.

Yeah, we can make the playoffs. But there are teams that look better than us on papir, but lets see when the season start. I will have faith until we fall too far behind.

And we now got atleast one righthanded defenceman to go on the PP, only that will contribute BIG time!

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Blad Meaning Gud
Yu - Behr - Doe

Well, one thing going for us is the East is very weak IMO... So who knows. If we could get off to a fast start then maybe... But like most have said, everything would need to go right and we'd need somebody to break out that wasn't expecting to...

Blad Meaning Gud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Papa044

Send a message via AIM to Papa044
As long as Vokoun is on the ice every game, we have a chance of winning.

Papa044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:34 PM
Holy Jokinen

I hate to say it, but being a true Panther fan, (see: Masochist) as the season inches closer i can't help but have this tiny feeling in the back of my mind that says "Playoffs maybe?"

Not saying its realistic. But everyone knows it's a long season, stuff happens, teams surprise the whole league.

Plus, i mean, can you really call it a Panther season unless your heart is ripped out of your chest?

Holy Jokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:46 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

Im coming into this season with absolutley no expectations. The one thing I am looking forward to is trade deadline and next offseason this team will look nothing like it does now come 2011-2012. The nice thing about having no expectations is that I will be nicely suprised when the team can pick up a win or two.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:00 PM
Dread Clawz
fmrly MarkstromRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandPanther View Post
it was slowly coming along. i remember in a toronto game where he showed it. he ran the PP like a champ and scored 2 goals because of it. he pinches at the right time at makes good decisions for his age. the slapper he had on theodore was great as well.
Agreed, Kulikov was looking great offensively until he got injured. When he got back, he had a hard time regaining that rythym. I trust he will get it back as he gets more experience. That Toronto game, he looked awesome. Like you say he was running that PP like nobody's business and that was just a glimpse of what he's capable of on the PP. Shortly after, he got injured. Like you also say, he's very very smart for a D as young as he is, he always knows when to pinch and when not to, and he always makes the right play on the breakout. Even all last season he was already our best passing d-man. He moves the puck beautifully. As he starts to unleash his cannon shot more, look out.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:04 AM
harv3317

talnt ise we are a #1 lottery pick!!!! intangibles may change this somewhat. intangibles, super luck, great coaching and minimal injuries and maybe we sqeek into the playoffs!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Gudbranson44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3317 View Post
talnt ise we are a #1 lottery pick!!!! intangibles may change this somewhat. intangibles, super luck, great coaching and minimal injuries and maybe we sqeek into the playoffs!!!
say whaaat?

Gudbranson44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Tooth Rez

drowning by desire for you?

but for real.. we all know where we stand offensively. it's looking pretty brutal. having said that, IMO we have a nearly equal chance of just barely slipping into 8th as we do getting the first lottery pick.

Tooth Rez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
FlaPanthers7

I've said it before and I'll say it again - this season boils down to a lot of "what ifs:" if Booth comes back 100%, if Frolik ups his game, if Grabner has a break out year, if Allen is 100%, if intangibles can overcome talent, etc.

FlaPanthers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:26 PM
JPG

the team is good enough for another highly coveted 10th place finish. i think part of the problem is the panthers have sucked for so long we dont actually know what a playoff team looks like anymore. vokoun is good but hes no hasek and thats what it would take for a goalie to get us in the playoffs imo.

JPG is offline   Reply With Quote