HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help with Research (Canadiens related)

Old
08-29-2010, 02:07 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 500
Help with Research (Canadiens related)

So I'm assigned to do a research paper on an aspect of Quebec. So I've decided to write about the cultural impact of the Montreal Canadiens. Not just a french english thing, but how the Habs play a role in who we are, what we represent, etc.

The tricky part is, I have to have at least 10 sources of info. Among those must be:
3 Primary sources (So far, I'm going to find the original article about the Richard riot)
6 scholarly soruces including 3 journal articles)
3 sources of popular literature (So far, the kid's book about "The Sweater" is what I have)
2 scholarly website sources

I just started, and the info I've come up with is off the top of my head, but I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has, or knows of any interesting books, or articles about the CH?
I don't want anyone doing my work for me (haha), but I figured if anyone knows about any Habs related media/historical info, it would be HF.

Thanks.

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:11 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Another primary source is the introduction of the Canadiens as a team. It was a team designed to contain francophone players and to contrast the Montreal Maroons, the anglophone Montreal hockey team.

I'll continue helping you out, just need to do some research.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:12 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
Another primary source is the introduction of the Canadiens as a team. It was a team designed to contain francophone players and to contrast the Montreal Maroons, the anglophone Montreal hockey team.

I'll continue helping you out, just need to do some research.
Oh Yeah! I forgot to mention, I want to talk about how O'Brien founded the team to make an Identity for the french. I'm going to look into that.

Old
08-29-2010, 02:17 PM
Windymind

News paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
So I'm assigned to do a research paper on an aspect of Quebec. So I've decided to write about the cultural impact of the Montreal Canadiens. Not just a french english thing, but how the Habs play a role in who we are, what we represent, etc.

The tricky part is, I have to have at least 10 sources of info. Among those must be:
3 Primary sources (So far, I'm going to find the original article about the Richard riot)
6 scholarly soruces including 3 journal articles)
3 sources of popular literature (So far, the kid's book about "The Sweater" is what I have)
2 scholarly website sources

I just started, and the info I've come up with is off the top of my head, but I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has, or knows of any interesting books, or articles about the CH?
I don't want anyone doing my work for me (haha), but I figured if anyone knows about any Habs related media/historical info, it would be HF.

Thanks.
I would add also newspaper archives:
- last two times we won the cup
- when Nordiques closed

Hockey was certainly the first place where French-Quebecois got successful into something. On that regard, The Rocket has been our first hero. He was better than English Canadians and Americans, which was unusual in our mindset of the time. We've had other international success story after: Felix Leclerc, Celine Dion, SoftImage, Cirque du Soleil... But hockey remains the first one that gathered faith in the culture and lead slowly to the "Revolution tranquille".

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Oh Yeah! I forgot to mention, I want to talk about how O'Brien founded the team to make an Identity for the french. I'm going to look into that.
So that makes 2 out of 3 for Primary ; Montreal's creation of the Canadiens to give an identity to Francophones in Quebec and The Richard Riot, which helped spark the Quiet Revolution.

Old
08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
For websites, do RDS.ca and LHJMQ.qc.ca qualify?

Old
08-29-2010, 02:21 PM
Windymind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windymind View Post
I would add also newspaper archives:
- last two times we won the cup
- when Nordiques closed

Hockey was certainly the first place where French-Quebecois got successful into something. On that regard, The Rocket has been our first hero. He was better than English Canadians and Americans, which was unusual in our mindset of the time. We've had other international success story after: Felix Leclerc, Celine Dion, SoftImage, Cirque du Soleil... But hockey remains the first one that gathered faith in the culture and lead slowly to the "Revolution tranquille".
Forgot to add:

Watching the movie The Rocket, I was astonished to see that French speaking people could only watch the games at the forum behind gates at the top level. Apparently, this really existed... we are talking about 60 years ago only. If you can find anything on that, I believe that can clearly illustrate the discrimination of the time.

Windymind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:22 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Forgot to add:

Watching the movie The Rocket, I was astonished to see that French speaking people could only watch the games at the forum behind gates at the top level. Apparently, this really existed... we are talking about 60 years ago only. If you can find anything on that, I believe that can clearly illustrate the discrimination of the time.
Great point.

I wonder if it really was Maurice's brother-in-law that inquired about the cages, which led to them being taken down.

Old
08-29-2010, 02:23 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
For websites, do RDS.ca and LHJMQ.qc.ca qualify?
Quote:
Forgot to add:
I don't know if they are scholarly. RDS is a news source, I don't know what the Q site would classify as.
Yeah, it existed even into the '70s. I'm not sure if it's discrimination or more, you have to pay to get good seats. But using the Rocket , the movie, I'm definitely going to re-watch it.

Old
08-29-2010, 02:24 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
http://www.amazon.ca/Montreal-Canadi.../dp/0385663242

This book talks about all the history, a good read actually.

Old
08-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Also, Dick Irvin's book "The Habs: An Oral History of the Montreal Canadiens 1940-1980" is an interesting one to take a look at.

Old
08-29-2010, 02:26 PM
MetroGnome

What about the professor at UdeM that's teaching that religion course about the Canadiens.

http://www.fides.qc.ca/livre.php?id=322

http://issuu.com/editionsfides/docs/..._canadien19-25

MetroGnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:29 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
3 Primary sources : Richard Riot, Creation of the Canadiens

6 scholarly soruces (including 3 journal articles)

3 sources of popular literature : Check this link out - http://www.hockeybookreviews.com/200...ens-books.html

2 scholarly website sources : RDS.ca LHJMQ.qc.ca?

Old
08-29-2010, 02:30 PM
coolasprICE

email public relations and see if they can provide you with references you do not yet have

they prbly receive many emails of this nature, but I bet they do in fact reply with something

can't hurt.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:33 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroGnome View Post
What about the professor at UdeM that's teaching that religion course about the Canadiens.

http://www.fides.qc.ca/livre.php?id=322

http://issuu.com/editionsfides/docs/..._canadien19-25
Wow! This is exactly what I need.

For a website though, I'm going to use the historical part of the Habs's website. I'm going to ask my prof what constitutes of a "scholarly website".

But wow, thanks guys!

Old
08-29-2010, 02:39 PM
Coldplay
Courage

What class is dis?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:46 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
What class is dis?
Quebec History

Old
08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Quebec History
Hmm okay, well good luck.

Not sure how much help this might be, but this was a really nice recap of the Canadiens' 100 years written by D'Arcy Jenish: http://www.amazon.ca/Montreal-Canadi.../dp/0385663242

EDIT: CS beat me to it.

Last edited by Coldplay: 08-29-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:38 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:

Quote:
Also, Dick Irvin's book "The Habs: An Oral History of the Montreal Canadiens 1940-1980" is an interesting one to take a look at.
Both of these are incredible books that I would recommend.

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:37 PM
ToysInTheAttic

Quote:

I have this book by Jenish. Usually I don't keep most books after I've read them. This one is a keeper because it was so well researched and written. If anyone wants to understand why the team is made up of players from diverse cultures today this is the book you should read.

ToysInTheAttic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Aren't primary sources like.. journal articles? At least in science they are... I could take a look later at my school's database if there are any articles on the matter. Since they are peer reviewed, they are considered great sources.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:54 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Aren't primary sources like.. journal articles? At least in science they are... I could take a look later at my school's database if there are any articles on the matter. Since they are peer reviewed, they are considered great sources.
What school do you go to?

I'm going to be checking on EBSCO, and all the databases I have at my disposal. I already found a few on there already.

Old
08-29-2010, 06:19 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
What school do you go to?

I'm going to be checking on EBSCO, and all the databases I have at my disposal. I already found a few on there already.
I go to McGill, we have access to a ******** of databases. We could get a few articles in PDF format.

Old
08-29-2010, 06:37 PM
RBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
No, in humanities journal articles are considered secondary sources. Primary sources are things like newspapers, magazine articles, or other contemporary documents. Primary sources document historical events as they are occurring, while secondary sources are later interpretations of the events. Secondary sources often reference primary sources. To give an example: a newspaper article about the Richard Riot would be a primary source, while a scholarly article analyzing reactions to the Richard Riot would be a secondary source.

For the original poster, I suggest exploring Habs Eyes on the Prize to get ideas of what books or newspaper articles to read. The site has tons of good ideas to get you started. They name plenty of books and describe many events with links to sources. You can search for newspapers based on the dates the size gives you. Run through the archives and you'll probably get more info than you know what to do with.

RBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:49 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SJSharkie1 View Post
No, in humanities journal articles are considered secondary sources. Primary sources are things like newspapers, magazine articles, or other contemporary documents. Primary sources document historical events as they are occurring, while secondary sources are later interpretations of the events. Secondary sources often reference primary sources. To give an example: a newspaper article about the Richard Riot would be a primary source, while a scholarly article analyzing reactions to the Richard Riot would be a secondary source.
Ha, that's nice to know. Thanks for the input.