HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #5

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-27-2010, 05:53 PM
  #1
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,519
vCash: 2573
Miscellaneous NHL Discussion including Fantasy Talk, #5

This thread is open for comments.

The last page of the prior thread: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=777708&page=40

__________________
Hay Now


A giant among racehorses, Unbridled became an even more towering figure at stud, siring a winner of each Triple Crown race, as well as champions, Grade 1 winners, and major producers at stud.

Paulick Report, May 19, 2015

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-27-2010 at 06:48 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
08-27-2010, 06:50 PM
  #2
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Those were dark days. But we did go on a nice playoff run with both of them in the lineup.
Don't do that. You might spark up a goaltending debate.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 07:17 PM
  #3
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 48,490
vCash: 500
did somebody say goaltending?

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
08-27-2010, 07:53 PM
  #4
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 32,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
did somebody say goaltending?
Nope, someone just ignored it altogether.

SolidSnakeUS is offline  
Old
08-28-2010, 12:45 PM
  #5
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
#NoHonorForConnor
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 21,927
vCash: 500
Kariya is sitting out next year due to PCS.

__________________

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
08-28-2010, 12:50 PM
  #6
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!
 
DeadPhish5858's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: the Shade
Country: United States
Posts: 13,477
vCash: 1300
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Don't do that. You might spark up a goaltending debate.
****. Too late. Sorry.

DeadPhish5858 is offline  
Old
08-28-2010, 02:02 PM
  #7
uvegotafrendinpa
Registered User
 
uvegotafrendinpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: the mu
Country: United States
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Game 5 of the Boston series was just on...it scares me at how much I think we're going to miss Gagne...

uvegotafrendinpa is offline  
Old
08-29-2010, 01:00 PM
  #8
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
#NoHonorForConnor
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 21,927
vCash: 500
Series against Boston is on all day again.

Game 3: 1:00-3:00
Game 4: 3:00-5:00
Game 5: 5:00-7:00
Game 6: 7:00-9:00
Game 7: 9:00-11:00

Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
08-29-2010, 03:03 PM
  #9
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,519
vCash: 2573
Here's a pretty informative article on Ken Hitchcock's current status. I thought he'd be New Jersey bound when that chance presented itself.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...y.html?sid=101

Quote:
The best chance for Hitchcock to be hired as a coach now - even he admits this - is during the 2010-11 season, when, inevitably, an NHL team fires its coach after a slow start.

But the Blue Jackets won't wait that long. Priest and Howson have had general discussions about Hitchcock in recent weeks, and they plan to begin hammering out details of his new job when Hitchcock returns to Columbus late this week.

It's a matter they want settled before training camp opens Sept. 17, Howson said. Many are treading lightly on the subject.

"As long as he's under contract with us, we'll find something for him to do that brings value to our organization," Priest said.

But nobody's quite sure what that will entail, though there are at least a handful of possibilities.

"I'll wait for Mike or Scott to come tell me," Hitchcock said. "I have my own plans of what I would like to do, but I don't want to step on anybody's toes or be in the way."

Hitchcock's first passion, of course, is coaching. Recently he's gone on the ice with three junior clubs in British Columbia - Kamloops, Kelowna and Vancouver - to keep his skates soft.

But he won't be on the ice with the Blue Jackets during training camp, and he won't be looking over new Blue Jackets coach Scott Arniel's shoulder.

"Never in a million years would Hitch want to be in a position that in any way affects our new coaching staff," Priest said. "In fact, when both Scott and I have talked to him, that was the first point he made.

"He's been in that position before, replacing another coach, and he knows how awkward that might be."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
08-29-2010, 03:08 PM
  #10
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Here's a pretty informative article on Ken Hitchcock's current status. I thought he'd be New Jersey bound when that chance presented itself.

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/live/...y.html?sid=101
Is there some kind of coaching position where he just teaches forwards to play well defensively?


Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
08-29-2010, 03:27 PM
  #11
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 42,519
vCash: 2573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Is there some kind of coaching position where he just teaches forwards to play well defensively?

I thought the comment below was interesting. First-hand experience is an essential element and shouldn't be overlooked but aspects of the scouting position interact with coaching.

And, I offer "Niitty being Niitty" as my own measure of sarcasm.

Quote:
Many fired NHL coaches have honored their contracts by scouting until another job offer arises, including Hitchcock, who scouted for three weeks with Philadelphia after the Flyers fired him early in the 2006-07 season.

"I enjoyed aspects of it, but it was an unbelievable eye-opener for me on how difficult a scout's life is," Hitchcock said. "I made the comment after only three weeks that every scout should get a raise, just based on the travel alone."

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now  
Old
08-31-2010, 11:45 PM
  #12
dbr2
Lockout Beard
 
dbr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,343
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dbr2
So, what the hell is going on in PHX?

dbr2 is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 03:16 PM
  #13
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,211
vCash: 500
So, Niemi just signed a one year, two mil deal on a Sharks team that already has two legit goalies on it.

This is laughably bad for the Sharks and just puts more **** on the Holmgren ****-pile.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 03:23 PM
  #14
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,775
vCash: 500
It blows my mind that the Flyers (holmgren) has done absolutely nothing about the goalie situation. Unbelievable

chimrichalds18 is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 03:26 PM
  #15
Hollywood Couturier
Moderator
#NoHonorForConnor
 
Hollywood Couturier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 21,927
vCash: 500
lulz, NHL and NHLPA extend deadline for Kovalchuk ruling. When will it end?

Hollywood Couturier is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 03:31 PM
  #16
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 48,490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
lulz, NHL and NHLPA extend deadline for Kovalchuk ruling. When will it end?
kovy is waiting for the 17th second of the 17th minute of the 17th hour of the 17th day of the 17th month of 2017 to come to wrap this up.

Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
  #17
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Sharks signed Antti Niemi. 2M one year deal. How do you like them apples?


Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-01-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Kaktus* is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
  #18
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 500
This Kovalchuk fiasco is embarrassing.



Good signing by the Sharks in Niemi.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 04:29 PM
  #19
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
This Kovalchuk fiasco is embarrassing.



Good signing by the Sharks in Niemi.
I don't think it's a fiasco or embarrassing. It's a smart move by the NHL to take a stand against these contracts and draw a definitive line in the sand. I couldn't give less of a **** about Kovalchuk and where he ends up.

The Sharks signing Niemi doesn't make sense. They had two legitimate NHL goalies already signed, both of which were as good or almost as good as Niemi. Then they have Stalock in the system still.

Plus it leaves them with no cap space to make any more moves.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 04:39 PM
  #20
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
The Sharks signing Niemi doesn't make sense. They had two legitimate NHL goalies already signed, both of which were as good or almost as good as Niemi. Then they have Stalock in the system still..
Not legitimate and it's a good move.

Kaktus* is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 04:49 PM
  #21
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
I don't think it's a fiasco or embarrassing. It's a smart move by the NHL to take a stand against these contracts and draw a definitive line in the sand. I couldn't give less of a **** about Kovalchuk and where he ends up.
It's a fiasco because of the vague wording in the CBA regarding cap circumvention and the fact that several other similar contracts have been allowed to stand to this point.

The embarrassment comes from not meeting their self-imposed deadline. While the contract is complicated, I don't believe it's a strong enough excuse to finalize their decision.

Quote:
The Sharks signing Niemi doesn't make sense. They had two legitimate NHL goalies already signed, both of which were as good or almost as good as Niemi. Then they have Stalock in the system still.

Plus it leaves them with no cap space to make any more moves.
It makes a world of sense. Nitty is an arguable starter and Greiss is a giant question mark. Niemi is a legitimate starter, coming off a Stanley Cup run and he was willing to sign for cheap.

They still have around $1M in cap space after the signing with no significant moves to needed before the start of the season. (I don't think the Sharks need another defenseman to remain a threat in the West).

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 05:20 PM
  #22
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
In my world, which isn't always in reality, I kill the whole thing. I don't allow any contract between Kovalchuk or the Devils. If they can't come to an agreement after 3 or 4 tries, then they can't come to a deal that isn't in some way circumventing the salary cap. This whole saga and shenanigans, is it really worth it? The whole situation deviates from the game that is supposed to be the ultimate team sport. The players are going to have continue to have this follow them the whole season if not beyond. He's only going to have the bar raised for himself because of all of this. Take the two away from either other. Everyone else plays by the rules, they clearly cannot.


Last edited by GKJ: 09-01-2010 at 05:28 PM.
GKJ is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 05:20 PM
  #23
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
It's a fiasco because of the vague wording in the CBA regarding cap circumvention and the fact that several other similar contracts have been allowed to stand to this point.
There was absolutely nothing similar to the initial Kovalchuk contract. Nothing whatsoever.

Quote:
The embarrassment comes from not meeting their self-imposed deadline. While the contract is complicated, I don't believe it's a strong enough excuse to finalize their decision.
Both the NHLPA and the NHL had to agree to extend the deadline. So there's obviously something important going on involving both sides that was probably worth extending the deadline.

They haven't not met their deadline yet because it was extended. Until we know why it was extended, there's no reason to judge the NHL or NHLPA for extending the deadline. I doubt they give a **** because a bunch of people on HFBoards are too impatient to wait two days.

Quote:
It makes a world of sense. Nitty is an arguable starter and Greiss is a giant question mark. Niemi is a legitimate starter, coming off a Stanley Cup run and he was willing to sign for cheap.
If they felt that way then they should have never signed Niitty in the first place and went after any one of the plethora of starters available.

Go ask Sharks fans how they feel about this. They're just as confused as I am from what I understand. They feel that Greiss has the potential to be a starter and they already had Niitty signed. This is a pointless signing until they drop someone and if they end up dropping Greiss, I guarantee Sharks fans won't be happy.

Quote:
They still have around $1M in cap space after the signing with no significant moves to needed before the start of the season.
They don't need to make a move, but their defense is horrible as is and the team, as a whole, could use some upgrades (which you need cap space for).

Quote:
(I don't think the Sharks need another defenseman to remain a threat in the West).
I'm pretty sure Sharks fans disagree with you on that one, as do I. No offense.

Seriously, check out this topic about the signing:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=814721&page=7

The majority of Sharks fans on here don't like it and are confused by it. I agree with them.

Garbage Goal is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 05:39 PM
  #24
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
There was absolutely nothing similar to the initial Kovalchuk contract. Nothing whatsoever.
The only differences were the length and Kovalchuk's age at the end of the contract.



Quote:
Both the NHLPA and the NHL had to agree to extend the deadline. So there's obviously something important going on involving both sides that was probably worth extending the deadline.

They haven't not met their deadline yet because it was extended. Until we know why it was extended, there's no reason to judge the NHL or NHLPA for extending the deadline. I doubt they give a **** because a bunch of people on HFBoards are too impatient to wait two days.
I don't really think the PA had much of a choice.

I also don't care about where Kovalchuk ends up, but the whole process has been ugly.

Quote:
If they felt that way then they should have never signed Niitty in the first place and went after any one of the plethora of starters available.

Go ask Sharks fans how they feel about this. They're just as confused as I am from what I understand. They feel that Greiss has the potential to be a starter and they already had Niitty signed. This is a pointless signing until they drop someone and if they end up dropping Greiss, I guarantee Sharks fans won't be happy.
Potential only gets you so far. San Jose is in a position to win now and hoping and praying on a tandem of Nitty and Greiss is nearly as awful as hoping and praying on a tandem of Leighton and Boucher. If I was a Sharks fan, I'd feel better about my goaltending situation today than I did yesterday... and clearly I'd be in the minority on HFBoards.

Quote:
They don't need to make a move, but their defense is horrible as is and the team, as a whole, could use some upgrades (which you need cap space for).

I'm pretty sure Sharks fans disagree with you on that one, as do I. No offense.
The only suspect part of the San Jose line up is offense from their defense. It's not stand out defensive core, but it's a lot better than even their own fan base is giving it credit for. I'm in the minority here, too, but I stand firm in my belief that they'll be fine with what they have.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
  #25
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 115,064
vCash: 1045
The Sharks' MO seems to be that they do little in the off-season and they just try to get as high as they can until the trade deadline, then they'll make a move. Somewhat of a roundabout way to do things, usually it's the other way around.

GKJ is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.