Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Central Europe
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

OT: Slovakia at the 2010 Football World Cup

Old
06-27-2010, 01:47 PM
Kamzik

vCash: 500
I read that SVK has made the trek to Durban. Aside from Strba who is both injured and suspended, it looks like Durica is also questionable for the game versus the Netherlands.

Interesting that during training the team was observed practicing penalty kicks. I was wondering if SVK was ever in a game before that could go to penalties (I mean since Czechoslovak days). I think the baraz versus Spain several years ago could have technically went to penalties.

Kamzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:21 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzik View Post
I read that SVK has made the trek to Durban. Aside from Strba who is both injured and suspended, it looks like Durica is also questionable for the game versus the Netherlands.

Interesting that during training the team was observed practicing penalty kicks. I was wondering if SVK was ever in a game before that could go to penalties (I mean since Czechoslovak days). I think the baraz versus Spain several years ago could have technically went to penalties.
From what I remember, we got ran over in the 1st game against Spain. Not sure whether the 2nd one was actually a tie or a Slovak win, but due to the first game result there would be no need for penalties anyway.

slovakiasnextone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
From what I remember, we got ran over in the 1st game against Spain. Not sure whether the 2nd one was actually a tie or a Slovak win, but due to the first game result there would be no need for penalties anyway.
a 5-1 result in Bratislava would have sent the game to penalty kicks. Not at all realistic but it was still mathematically possible.

Old
06-28-2010, 08:07 AM
zorz

Anybody knows if Robben's playing today?

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorz View Post
Anybody knows if Robben's playing today?
Robben is in, Van Der Vaart is injured. I believe all 3 of Weiss, Stoch, and Hamsik are in. Offence offence offence.

Old
06-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Late game breakdowns.. The Slovak way.

Harv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 10:57 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Late game breakdowns.. The Slovak way.
Well, the key moment for me was when Stoch and Vittek both had great chances to make it 1-1 both inside of a minute. The game was lost there imo.

Old
06-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Wilfrid Laurier

Quote:
Well, the key moment for me was when Stoch and Vittek both had great chances to make it 1-1 both inside of a minute. The game was lost there imo.
Exactly. Stoch scored many goals last year cutting in from the left and them shooting into the corner. He had 1 chance like that vs. Italy that he totally mis-hit and then the one today was too close to the keeper; disappointing.

If Vittek would have just looked up for half a second he could have just placed his shot much better and scored a certain goal.

And when we needed a goal in the second half why was our leading scorer in qualification (Sestak) stapled to the bench? Did he have an argument with Weiss? And what about Holosko, he almost always had an impact coming on as a substitute, is he still injured?

Overall though I can't complain I think this is about the best we could have expected from the team. Going forward I think we need to replace Zabavnik, and, as everyone has said, find a way to play Hamsik further forward. He's not a midfield general, he doesn't have the vision to put his foot on the ball and direct the play going forward.

Wilfrid Laurier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Kamzik

On September 3rd, Slovakia hosts Macedonia for their first game of Euro 2012 qualifying. Four days later they travel to Moscow to play Russia.

Old
06-29-2010, 03:11 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
On September 3rd, Slovakia hosts Macedonia for their first game of Euro 2012 qualifying. Four days later they travel to Moscow to play Russia.
Russia
Slovakia
Ireland
Macedonia
Armenia
Andorra

2010:
September 3rd: Slovakia - Macedonia
September 7th: Russia - Slovakia
October 8th: Armenia - Slovakia
October 12th: Slovakia - Ireland

2011:
March 26th: Andorra - Slovakia
June 4th: Slovakia - Andorra
September 2nd: Ireland - Slovakia
September 6th: Slovakia - Armenia
October 7th: Slovakia - Russia
October 11th: Macedonia - Slovakia

My hope is that these guys don´t pull the typical Slovakian "we´re the champions" attitude after the WC and let their butts kicked by Russia/Ireland.

Old
06-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Kamzik

It is too bad there was no big welcoming for the players when they arrived back home. I guess it is difficult when they arrive in Vienna. The player interviews after arriving were pretty funny. Jakubko was super pissed. When they asked him how it was in Africa he said "I dunno, ask someone who actually played". I'm not sure what he was expecting. IMO he should have been happy to be a substitute. Sestak was not pleased either but he was much more diplomatic about it. I didn't see evidence that he had any sort of row with Weiss Sr.

Old
07-03-2010, 05:19 AM
jcbio11

Quote:
It is too bad there was no big welcoming for the players when they arrived back home. I guess it is difficult when they arrive in Vienna. The player interviews after arriving were pretty funny. Jakubko was super pissed. When they asked him how it was in Africa he said "I dunno, ask someone who actually played". I'm not sure what he was expecting. IMO he should have been happy to be a substitute. Sestak was not pleased either but he was much more diplomatic about it. I didn't see evidence that he had any sort of row with Weiss Sr.
Did Jakubko really say that? Jeez, what a baby.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2010, 04:08 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I saw an interview with some French fans and they said something along the lines "at least there is handball". It seems when there is a lot of choking, fans regress to more and more niche sports, from the completely global sport of football, to the two continent sport of hockey, down to one continent sports like handball and American football.

I think it is a solid thing for Europeans to say, especially when South American teams have 10 wins, no losses, and 2 draws so far in the World Cup, state interest only in sports that South Americans don't play.
You know, I have to confess, itś funny to look back at all the hype for the South American teams at this stage of the tournament. Since I hate Maradona, I really enjoyed Germany running over Argentina. But anyway, I guess very little number of people would have guessed Uruguay to be the last Euro team still standing and even Uruguay barely made it to the top 4, football God was on their side when the Ghana player didn´t use that penalty shot in the last minute.

Old
07-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
You know, I have to confess, itś funny to look back at all the hype for the South American teams at this stage of the tournament. Since I hate Maradona, I really enjoyed Germany running over Argentina. But anyway, I guess very little number of people would have guessed Uruguay to be the last Euro team still standing and even Uruguay barely made it to the top 4, football God was on their side when the Ghana player didn´t use that penalty shot in the last minute.
The Valdez goal versus Spain didn't count because number 7 was offside for half a second and wasn't even involved in the play. It was a proper goal that would have changed the course of the Paraguay-Spain game.

Old
07-04-2010, 10:50 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
The Valdez goal versus Spain didn't count because number 7 was offside for half a second and wasn't even involved in the play. It was a proper goal that would have changed the course of the Paraguay-Spain game.
Yeah and had an Uruguayan player not used a hand to stop the ball, it would have went in in the last minute of the game and Ghana would have 100% won it and made it to the semifinals. Yes they did get a penalty shot from it, but even a penalty shot doesn´t equal a 100% goal. That is an even bigger injustice, don´t you think?

And England scored a regular goal against Germany too, that might have changed the flow of that game as well.....

However it doesn´t change anything on the fact that majority of world fans were overhyping the South Americans (esp. Brasil and Argentina) too early and laughed down the Euro sides too early as well.

With all respect to Paraguay, I do not think that they belonged to the top 4 here. They´re only real impressive game was the one over Slovakia. Other than that they tied New Zealand and Italy,which has sucked. And they won over Japan only in the shootout, which is pure luck pretty much.

Anyway back to Slovakia, we should play a friendly game against Croatia on the 11 of August.

Old
07-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
Yeah and had an Uruguayan player not used a hand to stop the ball, it would have went in in the last minute of the game and Ghana would have 100% won it and made it to the semifinals. Yes they did get a penalty shot from it, but even a penalty shot doesn´t equal a 100% goal. That is an even bigger injustice, don´t you think?
Uruguay didn't deserve to win the game, but I wouldn't call it cheating or an injustice. Suarez didn't get away with anything, he sacrificed himself in order to save the goal. In hockey if a guy is in the clear, the Dman has to take him down. Taking a penalty isn't cheating.

Quote:
However it doesn´t change anything on the fact that majority of world fans were overhyping the South Americans (esp. Brasil and Argentina) too early and laughed down the Euro sides too early as well.
I don't agree with you at all, which is not surprising since I rarely do. Brazil and Argentina are always superhyped. The surprise and buzz this time came from the so-called mid-level South American teams (Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile).

In the end those three teams didn't do so great, though not bad either. Four of the final eight is a great accomplishment for the continent. Now in the final four we have three European teams, but it hasn't been a good World Cup for Europe - apart from the European Champions (Spain), plus the Netherlands, and perhaps the most exciting young team in the world Germany. Maybe add Slovakia there too, am very proud of what they accomplished.

Old
07-06-2010, 06:33 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Uruguay didn't deserve to win the game, but I wouldn't call it cheating or an injustice. Suarez didn't get away with anything, he sacrificed himself in order to save the goal. In hockey if a guy is in the clear, the Dman has to take him down. Taking a penalty isn't cheating.

I don't agree with you at all, which is not surprising since I rarely do. Brazil and Argentina are always superhyped. The surprise and buzz this time came from the so-called mid-level South American teams (Paraguay, Uruguay, Chile).

In the end those three teams didn't do so great, though not bad either. Four of the final eight is a great accomplishment for the continent. Now in the final four we have three European teams, but it hasn't been a good World Cup for Europe - apart from the European Champions (Spain), plus the Netherlands, and perhaps the most exciting young team in the world Germany. Maybe add Slovakia there too, am very proud of what they accomplished.
LOL. Chille? If anything they were a huge disappoitment for me. The only impressive thing about the South American teams was how high they finished in the group ranking, but the way most of them actually made it there and especially their results that´s a different story.

The only one of them that really played great in all of it´s games was Argentina, before they got ran over Germany. Even Brasil got their ups and downs, as they were impressive against Chille and Cote d´Ivoire and a pretty weak win against North Korea and a tie with Portugal.

Your Chille has managed barely to win by 1 goal against one of the weakest teams in the tourney Honduras and one of the weaker euro sides Switzerland. Besides that they lost to Spain and got ran over by Brasil in the Round of 16.

Paraguay has managed two ties against New Zealand (without socring a goal) and Italy, their only really impressive win over Slovakia, a win on penalties against Japan and that´s about it.

Uruguay has managed a tie with pathetic France , an imprssive win over South Africa and 3 1 goal wins over Mexico, South korea and a disgusting one over Ghana.

Overall the South American sides have managed 0 wins over the top European teams, they managed 3 ties, but all three of these teams also drew or even lost to even weaker teams Brasil tied Portugal, but Portugal also tied Cote d´Ivoire, Uruguay tied France, but France also lost to both Mexico and South Africa and Paraguay tied Italy, who also tied New Zealand and got beaten by Slovakia. Unless you of course want to consider Switzerland and Greece or Slovakia top sides, Argentina did beat Greece by 2-0- IMO South Korea got the same result and Chille did beat the Swiss 1-0, yeah the same Swiss who tied tiny little Honduras and Paraguay ran over Slovakia that was the one really SA impressive win over an Euro sides.

Definitely not saying that all teh Euro sides were great and underrated, but the fact is that the South American sides were overhyped and there were Euro teams that were being underrated. All this oh we could have an all South American semifinal talk.

Let´s see:
France- went home early as the most pathetic side, but they should not even have been here, Ireland should have
Italy- went hom as the 2nd most pathetic side, but everyone knew they were old and they would suck
Then Switzerland and Greece the two European sides playing anti-football went home early, again don´t think anyone was surprised there.
And the well known underachievers the Serbians also went home early.

But on the other hand there were European teams that impressed from the start and are still in the tournament- Germany, they lost to Serbia, but they were one man down and it was their only really bad game, which it seems came at the right time, Netherlands are still undefeated, Spain despite being very unimpressive only lost to Switzerland so far.

Plus there were two surprises from the smaller sides- Slovenia, who were not too far from making it to the round of 16 and whose overall play was in my opinion more impressive than Slovakia´s and Slovakia with it´s two last games.

Starting in the round of 16- 4 of the 5 South American sides could have made it all the way to the semifinals as besides Brasil-Chille they had an all non-South American way there. Only one barely made it.

On the other hand 3 out of 6 European sides could have made all the way to the semifinals as all had to play against an European side in the Round of 16- and all 3 made it.

Japan for example has been a much better surprise than any of the South American sides was.

If you call this an non-imprssive World Cup for the European sides, basically you´re saying that this World Cup has been unimpressive for all the continents.

Everyone started this talk after the preliminary rounds that Europe should lose some spots and they should be awarded to someone else. But do Asia, Oceania, CONMEBOL, CONCACAF or Africa do any teams besides those that already were here at the World Cup teams that could play at least as well as sides that are considered average at best in Europe- Slovenia and Slovakia- did here? Some of the teams that made it here from those continents already North Korea or Honduras weren´t that good. It´s stupid to expect that all 11 European teams will defeat all the non-European teams.

Congrats to the South American teams on finishing (except for Chille who finished 2nd) in the 1st spots in their groups, but I´m sure it doesn´t make Brasil, Argentina or Paraguay feel much better now that they will already sit on their couch and watch the really important part of the tourney on TV.

Doesn´t change anything on the fact that we still can have a South American champion with Uruguay though.

Last edited by slovakiasnextone: 07-06-2010 at 06:39 AM.
Old
07-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Kamzik

Quote:
LOL
I think my original point was that the mid-level CONMEBOL teams outperformed the mid-level UEFA teams in this World Cup. Uruguay, Paraguay, and Chile should be proud. We can't agree at all on this point. Typing LOL or adding 50 emoticons won't change the fact that as an example when Slovakia played Paraguay, they didn't have a single proper scoring chance in the first 89 minutes of the game. Switzerland didn't fare much better versus Chile, or France versus Uruguay.

In terms of the top level teams, the UEFA teams (i.e. the European champions and the runners-up) were stronger than the two top CONMEBOL teams Argentina and Brazil.

I never wrote that a spot should be taken from Europe and we should have an extra South American team in the World Cup. If it were up to me, the third spot from CONCACAF would play a "baraz" with the sixth place from CONMEBOL instead of getting automatically in (i.e. Honduras would have competed in a playoff versus Ecuador).

Old
07-07-2010, 02:31 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I think my original point was that the mid-level CONMEBOL teams outperformed the mid-level UEFA teams in this World Cup. Uruguay, Paraguay, and Chile should be proud. We can't agree at all on this point. Typing LOL or adding 50 emoticons won't change the fact that as an example when Slovakia played Paraguay, they didn't have a single proper scoring chance in the first 89 minutes of the game. Switzerland didn't fare much better versus Chile, or France versus Uruguay.

In terms of the top level teams, the UEFA teams (i.e. the European champions and the runners-up) were stronger than the two top CONMEBOL teams Argentina and Brazil.

I never wrote that a spot should be taken from Europe and we should have an extra South American team in the World Cup. If it were up to me, the third spot from CONCACAF would play a "baraz" with the sixth place from CONMEBOL instead of getting automatically in (i.e. Honduras would have competed in a playoff versus Ecuador).
You´re not getting my point at all- those team that they actually beat sucked in that one game (Slovakia with it´s most pathetic display against Paraguay in the last two years) or overall IMO the same France that drew Uruguay actually LOST by 2 goals to both other teams in it´s group and Switzerland who lost to Chile also managed tying Honduras, about which you´re basically saying in your post that it shouldn´t even been there as the chances that they would have made it against Ecuador weren´t that big. There´s nothing so greatly impressive in beating teams that suck in the first place.

Uruguay and Paraguay can be really proud because they made it so far, but the manner they made it wasn´t really as impressive as presented (neither was Slovakia´s for that matter, actually has the Italy game lasted a few minutes longer we´d go home, we were pretty lucky that the Italians woke up so late), Chille I really don´t see what they should be proud of, they were a much better side than Switzerland in the first place and they were expected to make it 2nd out of their group- they put on an average performance at best.

I never said you said that Europe should have been taken spots, but that people said it and they kept on hyping the South Americans (and no they didn´t only hype the mid level teams as you put it they were full of Brasil and Argentina as well) and kept bashing the European teams as a whole because of France or Italy.

Old
07-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Kamzik

My two favourite sporting events [the Winter Olympic hockey tournament & the FIFA World Cup] are over for another four years. *sob*

Anyhow I don't think we could have asked for better results from SVK. At least I feel that way. In the top four of the hockey tournament and top sixteen in the football, such a small country but terrific results in the two sports that matter [apologies to fans of handball]. It is flying under the radar I think, but 2010 has been a great year for Slovak sports. I hope Slovaks realize this.

Old
08-26-2010, 04:16 PM
slovakiasnextone

Well, we just got robbed of a beautiful football autumn by a stupid Russian referee.

Firts of all, congrats to Žilina for beating Sparta and becoming the 3rd Slovak team to play in the Champions League group stage. Good luck to you against Chelseas, Marseille and Spartak Moscow. Everyone seems to think you´re gonna finish dead last in the group, so that usually means you actually have got some chance to grab some points. If nothing else, just fill that beauty of a small stadium of yours and above all ENJOY! Well desreved.

2nd condolences to Slovan Bratislava and our friend Kajoo. You rarely see something as terrible as this game from this referee. I guess it woiuld be just a wasted time to complain about it, IMO we´ve seen that when it´s us the unimportant mininnows that UEFA won´t bother with anything- Republic of Ireland was a great example. So whaT I wanted to say is- Props to Slovan´s players for two nice games, it was refreshing to see this young side to play. What pisses me off the most about it- selling Saláta and Sylvestr to Croatia of all places now? Kmotrík out of money or something.

Messae to our national team: We want reveng, so please kick some Russkies ***** on the 9th of September!

Old
08-26-2010, 04:19 PM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
My two favourite sporting events [the Winter Olympic hockey tournament & the FIFA World Cup] are over for another four years. *sob*

Anyhow I don't think we could have asked for better results from SVK. At least I feel that way. In the top four of the hockey tournament and top sixteen in the football, such a small country but terrific results in the two sports that matter [apologies to fans of handball]. It is flying under the radar I think, but 2010 has been a great year for Slovak sports. I hope Slovaks realize this.
I´m answering this late.....but I think you missed something important.....Anastasya Kuzmina bringing us all those biathlon medals from Vancouver and inspiring Pavol Hurajt to also bring one......can´t really think of Vancouver and hockey, still breaks my heart, so I concentrate on the good things that happened there......

Old
08-27-2010, 04:55 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
First of all, congrats to Žilina for beating Sparta and becoming the 3rd Slovak team to play in the Champions League group stage.
In 2005-06, Artmedia Petržalka did quite well in the group stage including 4 of 6 points from FC Porto (including a 3-2 win in Portugal), and two ties against the Glasgow Rangers. It will be difficult for Zilina to match that, but I'll certainly be cheering for them!

One thing Zilina has going for them is the incredible Gambian striker Momodou Ceesay. Did anyone see his goal in Zilina versus Sparta? Wow. I wonder how old he is, and how difficult it will be for Zilina to keep him on their team in the future. I imagine he would be receiving offers from richer leagues.

Old
08-29-2010, 02:57 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
In 2005-06, Artmedia Petržalka did quite well in the group stage including 4 of 6 points from FC Porto (including a 3-2 win in Portugal), and two ties against the Glasgow Rangers. It will be difficult for Zilina to match that, but I'll certainly be cheering for them!

One thing Zilina has going for them is the incredible Gambian striker Momodou Ceesay. Did anyone see his goal in Zilina versus Sparta? Wow. I wonder how old he is, and how difficult it will be for Zilina to keep him on their team in the future. I imagine he would be receiving offers from richer leagues.
IMO Petržalka should have progressed to the next stage back in 05/06, that was yet another injustice, which happens often in these two EDuropean competitions. IMO in their game against Porto just before the end there should have been an obvious penatly for Artmedia, which would have put them ahaed of Rangers had they converted it.

Momou is 21 I think, right now he´s only on a half year loan in Žilina, but with those 7
million in pocket they probably can buy him from his former Belgian team. I think he told SME that he wants to stay in Žilina for one more year. But even if he doesn´t Žilina will make good use of the money they would get selling him. Plus the other african youngster Bello is not too bad himself and he can be even considered a home product as he has been in Žilina´s system for 4 years now.

With all respect to Košice and Petržalka there is something special about Žilina being in the CL and getting their hands on such money. Mšk Žilina are one of the few sports team in any sports that actually work properly in this country and have invested money in the right things- rebuild of stadium, youth academy etc. It must be scary for the other teams from our beer league and especially Slovan to see them with those 7 million- IMO we should not forget that a yearly budget of for example a hockey Extraliga team is around 1 million Euro a year or even less- only Košice, Slovan and Skalica had higher budgets last season. And the fotball teams aren´t doing much better than that.

Old
08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
Kamzik

Quote:
IMO Petržalka should have progressed to the next stage back in 05/06, that was yet another injustice, which happens often in these two European competitions. IMO in their game against Porto just before the end there should have been an obvious penatly for Artmedia, which would have put them ahaed of Rangers had they converted it.
I had a question about Petržalka in that tournament, but I just found the answer myself. My question was, Petržalka lost the first game in Almaty 2-0, and won the second game 4-1 in extra time. If the score was 3-1 Petržalka, that would have made it 3-3 on agg with Almaty advancing on away goals, and therefore extra time shouldn't have been necessary.

The answer after some research is that the score going into extra time was not 3-1 Petržalka, it was 2-0 Petržalka. Almaty scored right away in extra time to make it 2-1 putting Petržalka in a gigantic hole since they now required 2 goals in 29 minutes. Jan Kozak scored on a penalty kick three minutes later, and in the very final moments Pavol Stano headed in a cross to give Petržalka the 4-3 win on agg. The rest is history.