HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Khabibulin for Thomas

Old
08-29-2010, 05:02 PM
disorder

vCash: 500
Khabibulin for Thomas

Boston gets some salary relief at the cost of dealing with some BS.

Edmonton gets arguably the better of the two at the cost of 2mil or so in cap space.

disorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:23 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by disorder View Post
Boston gets some salary relief at the cost of dealing with some BS.

Edmonton gets arguably the better of the two at the cost of 2mil or so in cap space.
First, Thomas has a NTC and has refused to waive it. I doubt he'd consider Edmonton.

Aside from the NTC issue, 1.25M is not nearly enough cap relief for the Bruins to consider it. Thomas is a much better goalie right now and doesn't have any of the off ice issues of Khabibulin.

If Khabibulin's hit was around 2.5M, and/or his contract was shorter than Thomas' I'd be much more inclined to consider it 'fair value'.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:30 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
First, Thomas has a NTC and has refused to waive it. I doubt he'd consider Edmonton.

Aside from the NTC issue, 1.25M is not nearly enough cap relief for the Bruins to consider it. Thomas is a much better goalie right now and doesn't have any of the off ice issues of Khabibulin.

If Khabibulin's hit was around 2.5M, and/or his contract was shorter than Thomas' I'd be much more inclined to consider it 'fair value'.

oilers do not touch thomas with a ten foot pole

5mill cap hit for him is too much

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:41 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
oilers do not touch thomas with a ten foot pole

5mill cap hit for him is too much
That's fair enough, I never said they would. I analyzed it from a Bruins point of view and am fairly certain that I got it right.

Old
08-29-2010, 05:59 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
Quote:
That's fair enough, I never said they would. I analyzed it from a Bruins point of view and am fairly certain that I got it right.
habby's cap hit is not that bad and once he get playing again oiler fans will love

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:21 PM
almostawake

Quote:
habby's cap hit is not that bad and once he get playing again oiler fans will love
I don't disagree with any of the points you've made in this thread, I just don't understand why you've been quoting my posts.

It seems that from your point of view the deal is bad for Edmonton. I neither agree nor disagree as I don't have a great deal of knowledge on Edmonton's situation.

From my point of view as a Bruins fan, the deal would be bad for the Bruins.

The deal is bad for both teams, I fail to see how our points of view are antagonistic.

Old
08-29-2010, 06:35 PM
Dazed and Confused

I still think the Oilers have to add a little more to make it even, ie Cogliano or a 2nd/3rd rounder.

Quote:

Outside of the 1.25 difference in Cap hit (which comes off the books the same summer as the rookies ELC's, so it's no big issue for the Oilers), how is Khabibulin a better option than Thomas as a starter?

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:21 PM
Loso

Publicity disaster if the Bruins were to burden themselves with Khabi's ongoing legal issue, if it were settled, then that's a different story, but as of now, no one would touch Khabi. Though if everyone gets settled by the deadline, maybe he gets traded to Phoenix.

Loso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:

But it's not really 1.25. It's 3.75 because they each have 3 years. And, more importantly, Khabi's salary can be bought out, sent to the AHL, sent to the KHL or he can retire and have it wiped clean.

Because of Thomas' 35+ clause I make this deal. If Rask is who we think he is the back up goalie spot won't be that important.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:58 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Khabi's salary can be bought out, sent to the AHL, sent to the KHL or he can retire and have it wiped clean.
He is another 35+ contract.

Edit: Looking at it more closely I suppose you were alluding to Thomas' NMC clause, although it wouldn't help the Bruins cap wise.

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Kaoz
Ima Krejciist.

Yes, arguably the better goaltender. Arguably... cause there's an argument out there to be had that shows Khabi as being the better guy at any time since the lockout.

Screw that... I'd rather 5mill for a great goalie then pay 3.25 for an average one.

Kaoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:22 PM
Serpico4ever

I've hated the Thomas contract from day one, but I have no problem keeping him to back up Rask. He's a pretty good safety net, and the two make a great tandem.

I'm more than happy to keep Thomas for the next year or two, he's as steady as it gets. A year from now, Thomas' stock will have risen again, and he will be valuable to most GM's, if not internet hockey fans.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:45 PM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
But it's not really 1.25. It's 3.75 because they each have 3 years. And, more importantly, Khabi's salary can be bought out, sent to the AHL, sent to the KHL or he can retire and have it wiped clean.

Because of Thomas' 35+ clause I make this deal. If Rask is who we think he is the back up goalie spot won't be that important.
Khabi is on a 35+ contract too and he's played the first year of the contract. As I understand the rules, it would be the same situation we're in with Thomas.

I hate the fact that Thomas' contract is 35+ as much as anyone but trading him for another 35+ contract, of the same length, just doesn't makes sense to me.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:19 AM
Chad29Johnson

Thomas is much better, a "slight cap relief" is not worth the trade...

Chad29Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:29 AM
arctic79

Just shoot me if Thomas ends up in Edm. Seriously???? Why would you want him? I have no faith in him as a goaltender. IMO his Vezina was a fluke season and Boston can choke on that ridiculous contract they gave him.

arctic79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:34 AM
massivegoonery

Seems ok to me. I actually think Khabi is better than Thomas, though I'd be hard pressed to justify that belief.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpico4ever View Post
I've hated the Thomas contract from day one, but I have no problem keeping him to back up Rask. He's a pretty good safety net, and the two make a great tandem.

I'm more than happy to keep Thomas for the next year or two, he's as steady as it gets. A year from now, Thomas' stock will have risen again, and he will be valuable to most GM's, if not internet hockey fans.
With his contract he would have to be a top five goalie in the league and completely decimate Rask for any team to ever consider a trade unless it was for an equally large salary dump. Goalies are simply not worthy five million nowadays, excluding the rare lot. Then again, one could reasonably argue Luongo is not worth five and half anymore either.

That said, this is not enough of a cap relief for Boston to deal with the disaster that is Khabby's reputation right now.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:54 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

The problem is that neither Thomas or Khabibulin are likely in Boston's or Edmonton's long term plans. Edmonton will probably roll with DD and JDD and let the kids play (or possibly sign a replacement starter like Niemi, Theodore, etc) and Boston has Rask as their starter.

I doubt either team gives up one headache for another.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote