HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Help with Research (Canadiens related)

Old
08-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Find Dick Irvin Jr. and talk to him.

Actually, just invite him to your class, you'll get 163% on your project.

I've seen them on ebay, you can buy newspapers that have the Richard Riot articles. Being able to bring it in (if it's a stupid presentation) would be huge.

The Rocket, though a movie, is based on reality so that might offer some insight as well as being a great movie.

Other than that, it seems everything else has already been said. Seriously, though. Dick Irvin has an immense knowledge of the habs.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:02 PM
kent_carlson

vCash: 500
a bit OT, but this one is something :

http://www.questia.com/googleScholar...docId=95169787

"During the playoffs (as opposed to
other times of the year) young men are in fact more likely to commit suicide, but if they
are married, the chances of this happening are reduced significantly. Further analysis
indicates that the increased tendency for young men to commit suicide during the hockey
series is associated with the situation of when Montreal are ousted early from the
competition."

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:03 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
So I'm assigned to do a research paper on an aspect of Quebec. So I've decided to write about the cultural impact of the Montreal Canadiens. Not just a french english thing, but how the Habs play a role in who we are, what we represent, etc.

The tricky part is, I have to have at least 10 sources of info. Among those must be:
3 Primary sources (So far, I'm going to find the original article about the Richard riot)
6 scholarly soruces including 3 journal articles)
3 sources of popular literature (So far, the kid's book about "The Sweater" is what I have)
2 scholarly website sources

I just started, and the info I've come up with is off the top of my head, but I thought I'd come here to ask if anyone has, or knows of any interesting books, or articles about the CH?
I don't want anyone doing my work for me (haha), but I figured if anyone knows about any Habs related media/historical info, it would be HF.

Thanks.
http://www.tolerance.ca/Article.aspx?ID=91096&L=en Thats a website recognized by schools across Canada and parts of Europe, very good authentic articles.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:42 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Quebec History
They still teach that in Quebec's schools? That must be optional.

(sadly)

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:51 PM
ThaDevilGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post

(sadly)
It's probably a Cegep course.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 06:58 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
It's probably a Cegep course.
I've studied Social Sciences in cegep (Sciences humaines) and even there, there was no Quebec's history course offered. I remember our "20th century history" teacher was offended by it and he made sure to include a Quebec history section in his course, even if it was not mandatory.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:17 PM
DBS

vCash: 516
Quote:
I've studied Social Sciences in cegep (Sciences humaines) and even there, there was no Quebec's history course offered. I remember our "20th century history" teacher was offended by it and he made sure to include a Quebec history section in his course, even if it was not mandatory.
It could be one of the history courses offered at the poster's university. McGill had a class like that, though I think it's now History of Montreal.

DBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:04 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Quote:

(sadly)
It's an upper level History course at my CEGEP. I had the option (among other disciplines) to take Quebec, American, Canadian, Eastern or East Asian history. I don't think it's sad that it's optional, because I took history of Quebec and Canada in Grade 10, and (optionally) took World History in Grade 11, and Western Civ in my first semester. I'm a huge history buff, but there's much more important things than learning minute details in Quebec history. I just take the class because I like history.

Quote:
Also, history classes are often made by the profs themselves. I'm not sure how offended your prof was, because I recently learned that for many "refined classes" (IE Sociology of ____, History of ____, Psych of _____) are offered according to what the teacher wants and can teach. My history prof did their thesis on Canadian/quebec history, so that's the class they teach. My english teacher likes music, so that's what we study. Etc.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:23 PM
Galchenyuk94

History is only as interesting as your teacher, you lucked out bro props to you.

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 07:47 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1907
Hey guys, sorry to disturb y'all again, but I'm looking for something specific.

Does anyone know where I could fetch an original transcript (or if someone wrote it down on the internet) of a newspaper article announcing the formation of the Habs in 1909? Thanks

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Hey guys, sorry to disturb y'all again, but I'm looking for something specific.

Does anyone know where I could fetch an original transcript (or if someone wrote it down on the internet) of a newspaper article announcing the formation of the Habs in 1909? Thanks
Did a bit of research and came up with this (It's not the formation of the Habs but hopefully it gets you on the right path):
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ens+1909&hl=en

Habs 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote