HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Bauer x:40 stick

Old
08-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Blues88

vCash: 500
Bauer x:40 stick

I'm usually not one for making threads and I hate that I am going to (pointlessly) rant but my intention is to get the word out. This word of course, is only according to me.

The new Bauer Vapor series, specifically the x:40 and I will lop the x:60 in too....are pieces of ****. Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

I broke a One95 after almost a year and a half of fairly heavy use. On a tight budget, I start looking at sticks, asking my buddies, and get the ball rolling. For $100, (all I was prepared to spend at the time) I decided to get the x:40 as my friend said he liked the feel of the stick and recommended it. I used it once and didnt play for about a month. Used it again, then again. 3 times of total use. Today it broke up from where the blade meets the shaft RECEIVING A PASS. I then learn that my friend broke three (3!) x:40 and one x:60 in the month that I didnt play.

I will sort of tag a disclaimer to this and say that right off the bat I wasnt a big fan of the feel of this stick. I am a stalwart when it comes to how the one95 feels, I liked the squared edges and the puck feel, to me, was solid and very apparent. The x:40 was awfully plastic-y feeling and I guess the location of the kick points didnt jive with me. This doesnt change the fact that they are crap.

Just picked up an s17 (oh god) with the same $100. Do yourselves a favor, if you were pondering getting an x:40 or an x:60, take $20 and buy a pvc pipe and glue a tupperware container to the end (make sure you curve it though). Roughly the same effect and you'll have money leftover.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:29 PM
slackerracker

I've been playing with my X:40 for 8 months and it's still solid and going strong. Lots of chips and what not in it but besides that its good.

slackerracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 09:42 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

My X60 is holding up good.
Maybe the St. Louis Post office sucks and breaks everything shipped into it.

But I know a guy who plays on the USA u17 Nat. Team, and He said he snapped about 3 X60's, but about 25 One95's.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 10:28 PM
raganblink

you do realize that odds are you were unlucky, or wherever you bought these sticks and your buddy got his probably got an early and bad shipment? stuff like thsi happens all the time, with different companies. it just isn't vapor or bauer specific, if there was a true problem with the stick, they would have recalled them.

and how the **** do you know if the x60 is crap? you're doing guilt by association, with sticks, simply doesn't work. with the example that you just used, if I got one60 skates, and they fell apart (midlevel, same level as your stick), by that definition, the totalone and one100 are crappy skates you shouldn't get.

personally, I have used the 60s since they have come out in october, and am still using the same one I got 10 months ago. Granted I also bought and LE that I've been using with the one I got in october, but sitll. Great stick. I play 4-5 times a week.. its a GREAT stick.

raganblink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 11:07 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

I use the X:60 and love it, and a few of my teammates do as well.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
I'm usually not one for making threads and I hate that I am going to (pointlessly) rant but my intention is to get the word out. This word of course, is only according to me.

The new Bauer Vapor series, specifically the x:40 and I will lop the x:60 in too....are pieces of ****. Please do yourself a favor and stay away.

I broke a One95 after almost a year and a half of fairly heavy use. On a tight budget, I start looking at sticks, asking my buddies, and get the ball rolling. For $100, (all I was prepared to spend at the time) I decided to get the x:40 as my friend said he liked the feel of the stick and recommended it. I used it once and didnt play for about a month. Used it again, then again. 3 times of total use. Today it broke up from where the blade meets the shaft RECEIVING A PASS. I then learn that my friend broke three (3!) x:40 and one x:60 in the month that I didnt play.

I will sort of tag a disclaimer to this and say that right off the bat I wasnt a big fan of the feel of this stick. I am a stalwart when it comes to how the one95 feels, I liked the squared edges and the puck feel, to me, was solid and very apparent. The x:40 was awfully plastic-y feeling and I guess the location of the kick points didnt jive with me. This doesnt change the fact that they are crap.

Just picked up an s17 (oh god) with the same $100. Do yourselves a favor, if you were pondering getting an x:40 or an x:60, take $20 and buy a pvc pipe and glue a tupperware container to the end (make sure you curve it though). Roughly the same effect and you'll have money leftover.
Not every stick is manufactured the same. Some Vapors will be defective or won't last as long. I could go out and find the same story about your beloved One95.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:05 AM
AIREAYE

ehh this is very biased. Granted, I didint like the puck feel of the X:40's either and GRANTED, mine broke as well (but that was cause I got hit into the boards and the stick almost impaled me, i'm glad it broke, cause it was either that or my ribs ) but you can't lump the entire vapor series into the experiences of 2 people.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Devil Dancer

My X:60 has been great so far, but I'm a pretty small guy so I don't break sticks often.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:29 AM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

My x40 is still going strong after 6 months. havent had any issues with it. I had one break before that, but that was because some dude was playing Hacksaw Jim Duggan with me and two handed chopped it....
I used to have the XVI and liked that to....

JRZ DVLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 11:53 AM
noodle3872

Quote:

For $100, (all I was prepared to spend at the time) I decided to get the x:40....

It seems the members of this board don't agree with your opinion.

A $100 OPS is night and day different from a $200 OPS. There is no comparing the two. Do yourself a favor, don't serial hate on a brand of sticks. Next time save your money so you can get another One95.

Mike

noodle3872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 01:05 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:

I am at the stage where, If you find the stick you like and works well with you, you do not deviate from it.
Sounds like you settled for something because of price, and you were expecting it to be something it is not.

Old
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Blues88

I didnt want to offend anyone, but I clearly underestimated the love and violent passion others have for these sticks. I'm sorry, but......

I realize that this happens with any other manfacturer and many other stick lines. I am simply advising based on my personal experience with this line. I am absolutely guilting by association and speaking about the quality of this line of sticks because that is what I had direct association with. Why else would anyone have an opinion if it wasnt good or bad based on their own experience?

Obviously the difference of $100 dollars will effect the quality, feel, and performance of sticks. Having had more than a few $200 dollar ops, my expectations were not for the x:40 to be the x:60 or the one95 or the s17 or the 10k. My expectation was that $100 would allow me to play more than 3 stick and puck sessions and hopefully a few scrimmages. Giving that most of us aren't wealthy and more than a good number of us are college students, I cant see how that isn't applicable to alot of you.

My "definition" of the vapor series is that between my friend and I, 4 x:40 sticks and 2 x:60 sticks were broken in under 3 months time. This is without bad ass semi pro players abusing the piss out of them. This is 3-4 times on the ice a week with a few games mixed in along with stick and puck. I can comment on the x:60 without having purchased or used it simply because I saw how long two of them lasted. I never said that every single stick used by every single person is a piece of ****, merely that my experience and opinion of this line is that they are of sub par quality.

My disclaimer paragraph and repeated use of "in my opinion" prefacing was intented to avoid the responses that boil down to "My stick is awesome and you're insane and wrong for not thinking so based on your opinion which is biased."

If it helps, my friend still swears by these sticks and "serial hates" on the one95 he just purchased.

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Evil Ted

So yea heres my story about this stick I had one last season it lasted about 5 icetimes and then broke, I really liked the stick it was a little on the heavy side but really helped my shot.

Took it back and they didn't have a x40 so I got a easton of simalar value and it broke a couple months later so I was up **** creek at that point.

They are goin for about 100$ at sportscheck near my place I am going to go pick one up next week i figure I really liked this stick.

Evil Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:12 PM
AIREAYE

Haha, no worries bud, its not a bad thing to hear differing opinions. And for JRZ DVLS, I tinhk the XVI is a brick compared to the X40 and I had to choose b/w them when I first tried that and the X40

Old
08-26-2010, 12:12 AM
MNWild9

I bought a X:60 and broke it i switched to a warrior Bentley and that broke in 10 months so i went to a web site and bought two CCM Octo Zone for 29.99 a piece I love the sticks I've never had any stick feel better.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Haha, no worries bud, its not a bad thing to hear differing opinions. And for JRZ DVLS, I tinhk the XVI is a brick compared to the X40 and I had to choose b/w them when I first tried that and the X40
The XVI is heavy as hell, but maybe that means it won't break as quickly?

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I broke a TPS Response Armor on my first shot in practice...that's the only stick I've ever broken that wasn't made of wood.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 01:37 PM
JRZ DVLS
Try Brubag*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I think in My case i liked the feel of XVI at first, and fell in love with the p92 blade....finally found the perfect lie/curve and so on. I couldn't find another XVI, so i went with the x40, then found another XVI that i now use as a backup.
The 40 is much lighter and I have no problems with it, but i liked the Lower kickpoint of the XVI.

But like Blues88 says, it all a matter of opinion. I have an Easton SC6 also, and i am not a big fan of it.

Just sux spending money on so many sticks to find the perfect one.. it only took me 15-20 years!!!

Old
08-26-2010, 05:10 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I broke a TPS Response Armor on my first shot in practice...that's the only stick I've ever broken that wasn't made of wood.
Which one was it? I just bought an old TPS R6 Armor in Perry curve, whip flex and nobody can seem to tell me a bit more about it lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRZ DVLS View Post
I think in My case i liked the feel of XVI at first, and fell in love with the p92 blade....finally found the perfect lie/curve and so on. I couldn't find another XVI, so i went with the x40, then found another XVI that i now use as a backup.
The 40 is much lighter and I have no problems with it, but i liked the Lower kickpoint of the XVI.

But like Blues88 says, it all a matter of opinion. I have an Easton SC6 also, and i am not a big fan of it.

Just sux spending money on so many sticks to find the perfect one.. it only took me 15-20 years!!!
I know what you mean lol, I started with a P92 on the One55 OPS, found everything awkward to do with this stick/curve, tried the P106 on the X:40 and it was almost perfect LOL, but the X:40 broke, so now I've got the R6 Armor in Perry, which is sorta like the P106 so we'll see how that it lol

Old
08-26-2010, 06:27 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Perry/Drury and P106 are the same except the p106 has more rocker. The R6/Response Armor is a pretty good value. Durable and good puck feel, with balance, at a reasonable price.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:30 PM
IrMitchell*

As a long time Hockey Store employee and hockey player, anything below the x60 is a piece of trash.
The difference between the 40 and 60 is very significant.

Oh and for the record, Easton is and always will be the best hockey stick manufacturer, nothing comes close to what they're able to do. Do yourselves a favor and either keep playing with Easton or make the switch.

IrMitchell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:08 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post
As a long time Hockey Store employee and hockey player, anything below the x60 is a piece of trash.

Oh and for the record, Easton is and always will be the best hockey stick manufacturer, nothing comes close to what they're able to do. Do yourselves a favor and either keep playing with Easton or make the switch.
LOL what an obviously biased post. Sure anything other than what's the best is garbage, yeah there's a difference, but at $100, one of the better values out there. And Easton being the 'best'? They're best at what? Making the most? Making the cheapest? Your opinion of 'best' is just your own, and yeah we can respect it but you've got nothing to back it up except trashing Bauer's lineup lol.

Last edited by AIREAYE: 08-30-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old
08-29-2010, 11:35 PM
Bulls9220

My x:40 has been through a year of college hockey and two other years. I love it. I think its the best stick i've ever used. Ive never shot harder and my puck handling is amazing. It has never shown me any signs that it would ever brake and judging from this stick along with my skates i would never leave bauer. Its treated me great so far so i really dont know what your talking about.

Bulls9220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:12 AM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrMitchell View Post

You are so lost

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote