HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Timonen not mentally ready yet

Old
08-28-2010, 03:16 PM
CerpinTaxt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Do you honestly think that if we had brought in a competent goalie, Kimmo would be talking about this? I personally don't think so, it would be all, "We know we can get there and we feel like we have a legitimate chance to win."

Kimmo knows what most of us do, we got really ****ing lucky in who we played in the POs and the first time we faced an above-average offense, our goalie got absolutely slaughtered.
Haha, yea. I can imagine how that conversation went

"Hey, listen. Since the fanbase thinks my GM sucks, can we do an interview? I am not specifically going to say that I think the GM is worthless, and that I have no confidence in my goalie. In fact, I am not going to mention anything remotely close. I am doing this though, because no matter what I say, its going to be put on the shoulders of those two. So, can we do an interview or not?"

And dont give me the "a player just cant outright call out GM/Organization/player". If they are unhappy enough to the point, I bet these grown men would make sure they got their point of across. Just look at what Patrick Sharp did.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:23 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post
Haha, yea. I can imagine how that conversation went

"Hey, listen. Since the fanbase thinks my GM sucks, can we do an interview? I am not specifically going to say that I think the GM is worthless, and that I have no confidence in my goalie. In fact, I am not going to mention anything remotely close. I am doing this though, because no matter what I say, its going to be put on the shoulders of those two. So, can we do an interview or not?"

And dont give me the "a player just cant outright call out GM/Organization/player". If they are unhappy enough to the point, I bet these grown men would make sure they got their point of across. Just look at what Patrick Sharp did.
Kimmo is far too professional and too good of a teammate to actively call out his teammates or members of the organization.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:41 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Timonen, class player, great competitor and here an honest man.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Kimmo is far too professional and too good of a teammate to actively call out his teammates or members of the organization.
Didn't Kimmo straight up say we got worse with the Upshall - Carcillo trade?

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Do you honestly think that if we had brought in a competent goalie, Kimmo would be talking about this? I personally don't think so, it would be all, "We know we can get there and we feel like we have a legitimate chance to win."

Kimmo knows what most of us do, we got really ****ing lucky in who we played in the POs and the first time we faced an above-average offense, our goalie got absolutely slaughtered.
What the **** is wrong with you people.

"above-average offense", are you for real or what?

Chicago had a team on paper that would of/could of made the finals every single year. The term is completely unfair to chicago. They don't have an above average offense at all. They had arguably the best Offense in the league, matched with one of the most fearsome defensive corps i've seen in a while. Not to mention that had a keeper that was riding high on facing 20 shots a game.

You people seem to think that should we have a competant goalie then we would of gone further. But then use the fact that we had a lucky play-off run. Now which is it? If we had a decent keeper in the stretch ( which leighton was by the way) then we could of had a higher seed, and faced a much more powerfull offense.

I wish some people would just get over themselves. Yeah we lost in the final, to a very good team no doubt. It's happened, get over it and realise that we have practically the same team that took us to the finals. Lets start looking into the future, because i am damn fed up of looking at posts about a keeper losing us the cup. I thought hockey was a team sport?

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:24 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I wish some people would just get over themselves. Yeah we lost in the final, to a very good team no doubt. It's happened, get over it and realise that we have practically the same team that took us to the finals. Lets start looking into the future, because i am damn fed up of looking at posts about a keeper losing us the cup. I thought hockey was a team sport?
Thank you, and not only do we have practically the same team, we've probably got a BETTER team....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:34 PM
jb**

I honestly cant imagine any of those players really think they can win a cup with Leighton. Of course they will all say the right thing, they wont throw him under the bus. These guys know hockey more than the fans. There is no way they dont see, even beyond what we see that Leighton isnt good enough. Tha in itself will drag is team down at some point, the mental part that is.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
I honestly cant imagine any of those players really think they can win a cup with Leighton. Of course they will all say the right thing, they wont throw him under the bus. These guys know hockey more than the fans. There is no way they dont see, even beyond what we see that Leighton isnt good enough. Tha in itself will drag is team down at some point, the mental part that is.
Well for some reason the players campaigned to keep him in philly. So what do you say against that?

Players can bite their tougne, but they are not going to actively come out and say that they want to keep a goalie that sucks

Old
08-28-2010, 04:39 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Haha, I read this article before it was posted on this forum, and thought nothing more then Kimmo was just still heartbroke from the loss.

Everyone in this thread that has posted so far, thinks it means that Kimmo is calling out Holmgren and MFL.

see: Scrotey McBoogerballs

pretty average episode

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 04:41 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
What the **** is wrong with you people.

"above-average offense", are you for real or what?

Chicago had a team on paper that would of/could of made the finals every single year. The term is completely unfair to chicago. They don't have an above average offense at all. They had arguably the best Offense in the league, matched with one of the most fearsome defensive corps i've seen in a while. Not to mention that had a keeper that was riding high on facing 20 shots a game.

You people seem to think that should we have a competant goalie then we would of gone further. But then use the fact that we had a lucky play-off run. Now which is it? If we had a decent keeper in the stretch ( which leighton was by the way) then we could of had a higher seed, and faced a much more powerfull offense.

Do they teach you how to read in the UK?

The first time he faced an above-average offense.

That means, the first time he faced an offense which was above the average. It's not a direct assessment on how much above-average Chicago's offense is, it's just pointing out that it's above-average, obviously Chi-Town has a top-3 offense, doesn't excuse some of the **** goals that Leighton let in.

Learn how to read before you have a hissy fit.

Old
08-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Do they teach you how to read in the UK?

The first time he faced an above-average offense.

That means, the first time he faced an offense which was above the average. It's not a direct assessment on how much above-average Chicago's offense is, it's just pointing out that it's above-average, obviously Chi-Town has a top-3 offense, doesn't excuse some of the **** goals that Leighton let in.

Learn how to read before you have a hissy fit.
I know how to read. I'm fed up of people blaming leighton for us losing the cup. We didn't lose the cup because of leighton. We lost the cup as a team. Chicago scored more goals than we did, and as a result won the games they needed. Leighton, allthough he let up a soft goal in OT, carter could have scored before hand, we should of pressed them more in the third period. We should have scored more goals. We knew leighton was ****, We should of been throwing everything at Chicago, we could of had a responsible third pairing, instead of pronger and kimmo being absolutly gassed in game 5 and 6.

Hockey is a team sport. The flyers lost as a team. Nothing more, Nothing less.

Old
08-28-2010, 04:53 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
I know how to read. I'm fed up of people blaming leighton for us losing the cup. We didn't lose the cup because of leighton. We lost the cup as a team. Chicago scored more goals than we did, and as a result won the games they needed. Leighton, allthough he let up a soft goal in OT, carter could have scored before hand, we should of pressed them more in the third period. We should have scored more goals. We knew leighton was ****, We should of been throwing everything at Chicago, we could of had a responsible third pairing, instead of pronger and kimmo being absolutly gassed in game 5 and 6.

That "win and lose as a team" stuff is great until your goalie starts giving up goals on 30 foot soft wristers from terrible angles.

Score more goals? Like the time we scored 5 goals in Game 1 and Leighton and Boucher did a colossal ******** the bed job? Like that? I mean, the Flyers scored 3 goals or more in 5 of the 6 games in that series. Considering that only 5 teams in the NHL averaged more than 3 goals per game last season and Chicago was a top-5 defensive team, I'm going to say we did okay there.

Old
08-28-2010, 04:57 PM
jb**

Quote:
Well for some reason the players campaigned to keep him in philly. So what do you say against that?

Players can bite their tougne, but they are not going to actively come out and say that they want to keep a goalie that sucks
Campaigned how? Are you kidding me? are you that gullible?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 06:10 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Thank you, and not only do we have practically the same team, we've probably got a BETTER team....
Every team in Atlantic is better. Every team in EC is better, probably every 30 teams tried to make moves to get better in off season.

Quote:
Oh, and I picked up some guys who can cut you some slack. We dont need you to play 25-28 minutes a night anymore.

Hope this helps come playoff time.
You are missing the point.

I do not think anyone is hating on Holmgren but a lot of fans upset that he failed to improve the most important position in hockey, goaltending. Our only real weak spot on our team, year after year.

I would be more than happy if he got Morrisonn and Turco. Instead of Meszaros.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-28-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Every study ever done has shown that achievement and pride in one's work matter a million times more than how much money you make.

He lost in the finals. It's gonna suck the wind out of you for awhile.

Learn a little about how people work before you start a self-righteous "boo hoo" against them.

You have zero right to cheer for the guy imho, given what you said.
Show me proof. Show me all these studies where it says it sucks the wind out of you for"awhile"You do not know who the frig I am and what I have done in the past 49 years where I have worked every year. Yeah I am 60 so figure it out.If you looked at what I said it was about the statement being taken out of context. I am a Kimmo backer so do not get self righteous on me. Stop by the Skate Zone and see whats going on. They cannot wait for the season to start. Zero right... BS. In case you forgot this is America where everyone has the right to voice their own opinion. Unfrigginbelivable. GO FLYERS

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Larry44

Quote:

What would THEY know? They are only NHL players, it's not like they're HF Board Experts or anything....

Old
08-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Every team in Atlantic is better. Every team in EC is better, probably every 30 teams tried to make moves to get better in off season.
Huh? Pittsburgh is not better. Since their Cup, they've lost their shutdown D pairing, which hurt them last year, now they've lost their offensive catalyst. Martin and Michalek are not going to make up for losing Gonchar, Gill and Scuderi. And their forward depth is diminished - but I do hope to see Asham weighing down Malkin or Crosby's line... Staal's foot didn't heal and might need a third tendon surgery, so they're top heavy and starting one down, so they are a major injury to Crosby or Malkin from slipping big time.

The Rangers aren't better and they're about to waive Redden and have a bunch of rookies and kids on D. Frolov? Please. Zherdev's better.

The Islanders will actually ice an NHL D this year, but not much else.

The Devils aren't better either. They lost The Great Paul Martin and replaced him with Tallinder and Volchenkov. Big friggin' whoop. And when they sign Kovalchuk, they still have to lose a good player, probably someone like Zubrus or Langenbrunner, to get under the cap. They've got the fading Rolston locked up at over $5M for two more years. Yikes. Zajac makes almost $4M and Elias has three more years at $6M.... And Zac needs a new contract next summer. The Devils don't scare me.
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

So, no, every team in the Atlantic is not better, in fact, the Flyers improved more than any of them.

The Northeast will be solid, with the Bruins having improved the most. The Sabres are stagnating and I don't see them making the playoffs unless Miller stands on his head for 82 games. The Habs have f'd their once solid goaltending situation up and are no better or bigger up front or and their D is just OK. The Sens had a good year, but they lost Volchenkov and added Gonchar, so if their goaltending holds up they could be good. The Leafs are improved too, so who knows what they might do?

In the Southeast, the Caps lost size on D, with Morissonn and Jurcina leaving, but have basically the same team and two very young goalies. The Bolts, Thrashers and Canes should put up more of a fight this year, which will take some points off the Caps, whose total points last year were artificially inflated by playing such poor division opponents six times each (40 points out of a possible 48 in their garbage division - they won't get that many this year). Florida is going for the #1 pick this year.

So, no, every team in the Eastern Conference isn't better either, and some playoff teams, like Buffalo and Montreal, might be worse.

Any sweeping and erroneous observations about the West you'd care to enlighten us with?

Old
08-28-2010, 09:59 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Don't waste your time. I've been arguing this for the past month and no one listens.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

He may not be ready right now, but give him a month, I think he'll be fine.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:05 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I skipped a bunch of posts, so if this was brought up, my bad.

Everyone keeps thinking that "similar situation" means no goaltender/Leighton. Anyone ever think that by "similar situation" he means "pressure to perform to the same standard if not better than last time." Cup finals are a mental drain, and then to have to come back and try to make it again vs. coming back and just flopping and failing is totally different. When you're at the second to top ring of the ladder, there's not much to look up at but a hell of a lot to look down at.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Huh? Pittsburgh is not better. Since their Cup, they've lost their shutdown D pairing, which hurt them last year, now they've lost their offensive catalyst. Martin and Michalek are not going to make up for losing Gonchar, Gill and Scuderi. And their forward depth is diminished - but I do hope to see Asham weighing down Malkin or Crosby's line... Staal's foot didn't heal and might need a third tendon surgery, so they're top heavy and starting one down, so they are a major injury to Crosby or Malkin from slipping big time.

The Rangers aren't better and they're about to waive Redden and have a bunch of rookies and kids on D. Frolov? Please. Zherdev's better.

The Islanders will actually ice an NHL D this year, but not much else.

The Devils aren't better either. They lost The Great Paul Martin and replaced him with Tallinder and Volchenkov. Big friggin' whoop. And when they sign Kovalchuk, they still have to lose a good player, probably someone like Zubrus or Langenbrunner, to get under the cap. They've got the fading Rolston locked up at over $5M for two more years. Yikes. Zajac makes almost $4M and Elias has three more years at $6M.... And Zac needs a new contract next summer. The Devils don't scare me.
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=20

So, no, every team in the Atlantic is not better, in fact, the Flyers improved more than any of them.

The Northeast will be solid, with the Bruins having improved the most. The Sabres are stagnating and I don't see them making the playoffs unless Miller stands on his head for 82 games. The Habs have f'd their once solid goaltending situation up and are no better or bigger up front or and their D is just OK. The Sens had a good year, but they lost Volchenkov and added Gonchar, so if their goaltending holds up they could be good. The Leafs are improved too, so who knows what they might do?

In the Southeast, the Caps lost size on D, with Morissonn and Jurcina leaving, but have basically the same team and two very young goalies. The Bolts, Thrashers and Canes should put up more of a fight this year, which will take some points off the Caps, whose total points last year were artificially inflated by playing such poor division opponents six times each (40 points out of a possible 48 in their garbage division - they won't get that many this year). Florida is going for the #1 pick this year.

So, no, every team in the Eastern Conference isn't better either, and some playoff teams, like Buffalo and Montreal, might be worse.

Any sweeping and erroneous observations about the West you'd care to enlighten us with?
The whole post is ****ing stupid.

Hold on. Let me use your 'logic'. Flyers added two underachieves a 40 year old d-men and a fighter and we are better? This is what any other fan can say about Flyers team and that person may have a good point. I mean what did we add? Unmotivated, unproven a bit overpaid question marks in Zherdev and Meszaros? and kept huge question mark in the net.

1. Zherdev is not better than Frolov. No way no how and didn’t we play NYR in the last game of the season for a playoff spot? Didn't we almost lose?
2. Pittsburgh did not get worse. They added quality Ds. They did not lose anyone good upfront from last season. They went to SC finals two straight years with a very young core. Not an easy thing to do.
3. Losing Zubrus or Langenbrunner does not mean much when you gain Kovalchuk and Arnott. Martin was also not lost, he was replaced with quality D.
4. Do not worry about Devils caps issues. Flyers have the same if not worse issues as soon as next year too. Why did you bring it up anyway? Are you seriosuly going to discuss others teams caps when we are in no better position?
5. Washington did not lose any size or skill on blue line. It was replaced with younger, faster, better with much more upside and skill players like Alzner and Carlson.
6. Do not worry about Sabres, you personally do not know **** about their farm system.
7. Boston, Tampa, Atlanta all got better.
8. Habs still good skating team, lsoing Halak will hurt but they still be in the mix.
9. Sens added Gonchar and so on...

Last edited by Kaktus*: 08-29-2010 at 12:37 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 05:35 AM
ugiswrong

Timonen is from Finland, where people are a little bit more prone to depression on the average.

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 07:20 AM
FinnGoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
Timonen is from Finland, where people are a little bit more prone to depression on the average.

err...alright.

FinnGoalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:24 AM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
You are missing the point.

I do not think anyone is hating on Holmgren but a lot of fans upset that he failed to improve the most important position in hockey, goaltending. Our only real weak spot on our team, year after year.

I would be more than happy if he got Morrisonn and Turco. Instead of Meszaros.
No I get it, people are unhappy with Holmgren. It happens.

What the original point was, people implying that Kimmo is also unhappy by what he said he in the article.

Kimmo may as very well be unhappy, but nowhere in the article does he state such. Its all conjecture.

And, in my opinion, I would be happy if I saw an improvement in an area of my team, even if it wasnt what I thought was the most crucial area (improving defense is a slight improvement on the goaltender anyway)

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Ghost of Downie*

I hate having Leighton as the #1 as much as the next guy, but seriously? Kimmo played well over 100 games last year and the #1-2 defenseman on both his NHL and his national team. He went pretty deep in the Olympics and lost, then went as deep as you can go in the Stanley Cup playoffs and lost. Him saying, "I not mentally ready yet" or "it felt like ten months went down the drain" suggests that he had his goal at the end and he didn't make it, and he's still trying to recover from it. This guy was in Nashville for years and didn't play in the Conference finals in '08. He finally got to the Stanley Cup, he lost, and he's saying that he's drained, not that he's going to kill Paul Holmgren.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote