HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere Ready to Carry Over Playoff Success

Old
08-29-2010, 09:49 PM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Being more than a one-dimensional player... and, if you're going to be one-dimensional, being dominant at that. Briere has been a good offensive player here, but far from "dominant."
I agree Briere won't suddenly get better defensively. I am curious; in your opinion what will he have to do to be a more "dominant" offensive player? What kind of production do you expect / anticipate from him this season or what other kinds of things will he have to do?

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:00 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
He was first in points in the playoffs and 4th in the regular season.

I wouldn't worry about that.

And to think every year people still complain he's not worth the salary, even though he's consistently arguably the best playoff performer.

---

As for Briere's comments, it's amazing to hear this in comparison to Timonen's comments. It's like night and day.
I'm not surprised because he came out of a bad year personally so it's not a shock that he's ready to go.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:08 AM
Crossbar Ping

Quote:
Being more than a one-dimensional player... and, if you're going to be one-dimensional, being dominant at that. Briere has been a good offensive player here, but far from "dominant."
Sorry but when you score 30 pts in the playoffs, thats being Dominant.
With a capital D.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:35 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossbar Ping View Post
With a capital D.
Cosigned on the condition that we are speaking about dominating offensively.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:48 AM
Crossbar Ping

Absolutely

Some people just have that extra drive in them come playoffs

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:08 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
With a capital D.
I disagree, while he was Dominant offensively with a capital D, he was also directly responsible for some goals based on his bad defence. He also took a lot of bad penalties.

Old
08-30-2010, 11:20 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I disagree, while he was Dominant offensively with a capital D, he was also directly responsible for some goals based on his bad defence. He also took a lot of bad penalties.

Richards and Briere both had 18pims in 23 games during the post-season. Regular season he was guilty of some bad penalties but not the post-season based on his performance.

Quote:
That game was excellent but his defence and penalties are a detriment. His point production was amazing but the stickwork is a big concern.

I'd forgotten how dirty the Boston players were in that game. They were doing a lot of hitting by the boards and then Lucic and Savard both tried to fight Richards but Gagne came in to even it up. I'm so going to miss him!
Why Hate against Briere, guy stands up and relishes the moment.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:49 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
We already know that Briere is an offensive powerhouse and a defensive lightweight. If he can't improve defensively, it's not a bad thing that he wants to improve offensively. They can't all be two-way forwards.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I agree Briere won't suddenly get better defensively. I am curious; in your opinion what will he have to do to be a more "dominant" offensive player? What kind of production do you expect / anticipate from him this season or what other kinds of things will he have to do?
We can start with being a PPG player, which Briere has not done as a Flyer. I mean, in all seriousness, Briere has been MILES away from deserving the moniker of "dominant" (let alone with a capital D) as a Flyer offensively.

He's also -25 combined during his 3 seasons as a Flyer. "Dominant" offensive players are not minus players on good teams. In Buffalo (and at times here) he outscored his defensive deficiencies...

Quote:
With a capital D.
Quote:
Absolutely

Some people just have that extra drive in them come playoffs
Unfortunately there are 82 other games every year, which you're being paid to show up for as well...

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
We already know that Briere is an offensive powerhouse and a defensive lightweight. If he can't improve defensively, it's not a bad thing that he wants to improve offensively. They can't all be two-way forwards.
He's scored 160 pts in 183 games. I'd love it if he started to actually produce like an offensive powerhouse here.

Old
08-30-2010, 01:59 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
He's scored 160 pts in 183 games. I'd love it if he started to actually produce like an offensive powerhouse here.
.874 PPG isn't that far off is it? As for being a plus player... if he gets into the positives it will be because his line is dominant enough to keep the puck into the opposite end during his ES shifts. I am feeling pretty good about Briere this season, I think he could do well if he stays healthy... him being 170 something pounds doesn't exactly help that, but hopefully he doesn't get injured like he has in the past.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:07 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
.874 PPG isn't that far off is it? As for being a plus player... if he gets into the positives it will be because his line is dominant enough to keep the puck into the opposite end during his ES shifts. I am feeling pretty good about Briere this season, I think he could do well if he stays healthy... him being 170 something pounds doesn't exactly help that, but hopefully he doesn't get injured like he has in the past.
Not only that but he was just 7pts off of Carter in just about the same amount of games.

Old
08-30-2010, 02:39 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Perhaps powerhouse was an overly strong word, but for whatever reasons, he just hasn't clicked here. He had a strong season when he played with Prospal and he used to have chemistry with Gagne. Both are gone now but he looks like he could have some chemistry with Hartnell/Leino.

The numbers haven't shown up, but I'm hopeful that a full year of Laviolette at the helm and steady linemates will help Briere take the next step on this team.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Perhaps powerhouse was an overly strong word, but for whatever reasons, he just hasn't clicked here. He had a strong season when he played with Prospal and he used to have chemistry with Gagne. Both are gone now but he looks like he could have some chemistry with Hartnell/Leino.

The numbers haven't shown up, but I'm hopeful that a full year of Laviolette at the helm and steady linemates will help Briere take the next step on this team.
I think a year with Lavi is going to bring out the best of a lot of players, and hopefully a year of Reece does the same with the goalies.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Curious, do you think Briere will stay center so that he can probably get more points and more chances overall?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Curious, do you think Briere will stay center so that he can probably get more points and more chances overall?
Moving to wing didn't limit Briere's offensive output particularly... he just didn't cash in on the PP as much as he has in the past.

Old
08-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Jester

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, 0.874 PPG isn't terrible... it's pretty good scoring. Is it 6.5M for a diminutive forward that doesn't really play defense good? No.

O.874 over 82 games is 71.6 pts, that ain't "dominant."

Old
08-30-2010, 03:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

There's another thing, I know that there is some speculation that Brendl would want to come back to the NHL, do you think you would want him to play for the Flyers again? He supposedly changed himself for the better. Maybe play right wing for Briere (Hartnell-Briere-Brendl)? Just an idea, that's all.

Anyways, I think Briere might be able to break out like he did with Buffalo this season for the fact that he doesn't have any complicated ******** in his personal life holding him down.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
BringBackStevens

Briere needs to be scoring at a PPG rate and stay healthy to justify that contract.

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:09 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Richards and Briere both had 18pims in 23 games during the post-season. Regular season he was guilty of some bad penalties but not the post-season based on his performance.

Why Hate against Briere, guy stands up and relishes the moment.
Sorry, what hate? And what does relishing the moment have to do with anything? I've never hated Briere.

Old
08-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Laviolette is on record that the Hartnell-Briere-Leino line will start the season outside of injury or other acts of god. After the playoff performance I do not blame him.

Old
08-30-2010, 04:21 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Sorry, what hate? And what does relishing the moment have to do with anything? I've never hated Briere.
Just think you need to look at this a little more objectively. Carter and Briere put up similar numbers, but yet Briere is the one who has issues fitting on the team because of his defense?

Old
08-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Briere needs to be scoring at a PPG rate and stay healthy to justify that contract.
No he does not. He was a UFA and filled a need, Homer had to overpay due to the great unknown of Carter and Richards plus the failing PP numbers. Out of the three, Briere/Drury/Gomez, and the money he got this one right. Hindsight being 20/20 it seems logical to have maybe of gotten a stopgap and hope for the best but then kiss the 2008 ECF run goodbye because you are not getting there without Briere. For the PP time he is getting and the shuffling of lines and his playing out of position the numbers probably signify what his role on this team is at this point, playoff guru.

Old
08-30-2010, 04:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Just think you need to look at this a little more objectively. Carter and Briere put up similar numbers, but yet Briere is the one who has issues fitting on the team because of his defense?
This article is solely about Briere. You brought Richards into it and now (shockingly!) you're bringing your obsession into it. Why is that? What the hell does Carter have to do with this article?

Old
08-30-2010, 04:30 PM
Jester

Quote:
...Carter makes less money (and likely will still on his next deal), plays in more situations, etc. and you're trying to make a comparison between 'em?