HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Where do you guys go to find Deals on gear?

Old
08-02-2010, 01:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
You know, sometimes it pays off to just check your local retailers.

For example... over the weekend I needed new shinguards. My first stop was hockeymonkey.com, icewarehouse.com, and eventually every site that I could find on the first 3 pages of a Google search. Most didn't have them in my size (14", a pretty common size). Every website charged $7-12 in shipping and handling, which negated the savings on a ~$20 pair of shinguards. Even those that advertised "free shipping" would just charge handling instead.

Next stop was Play It Again Sports, which had some battered old guards for about $30. Not such a great deal when I could get new ones online for about that much. And only 2 pairs in the store fit me.

Finally I sent out a couple of requests on Craigslist and found I could buy a mangy old pair for $10 on the other side of town.

Frustrated, I broke down and called a local shop called Five Hole Sports which specializes in hockey equipment. Sure enough, they had brand-new RBK guards for about $25. In the process I discovered they have $20 sticks (cheaper than anything on hockeymonkey.com when you consider shipping) and a ton of specialty gear that I couldn't find anywhere else.

So yeah... next time I'm checking retail prices first.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 04:26 PM
nickerjones

Send a message via AIM to nickerjones Send a message via Yahoo to nickerjones
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertysac View Post
Anybody know if that daily hockey deals website is legit?

Seems like a scam... just looking at how crappy the site is gives me doubts.

They have some interesting deals on there though.
I dont know about how it was in the past but I can tell you it will be 100% legit when it re launches in a few days ... and sorry the website is "crappy" but I am not a web designer by any stretch of the imagination. I figure the good deals with out weigh the "crappiness" of the design!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryangib View Post
that website got me an additional 20 bucks off a stick from hockeymonkey and i just got one of them oakley visors they have up right now. cant say enough good things about that blog. guy who runs it is super nice. i check the page everyday.
Thanks Ryan although he was talking about another site with the same name as my blog without the blogspot ending. The good news I have partnered with a few people and they have given the website control over to me to continue to find and post good deals. Look for it to relaunch in a few days as I posted today!

nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:48 PM
dpixel8

I am personally getting sick of online shops, unless I know EXACTLY what I need and EXACTLY the size. When I finally bought some new gear this year, I decided to guess based on some of the used stuff I had. Bad idea. Probably ended up paying about $50 worth of shipping fees back and forth (multiple items were wrong more than once). I stick to the LHS now. Plus the one I go to, the owner is incredible and sometimes just throws stuff in for free.

dpixel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 07:16 AM
nickerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
I am personally getting sick of online shops, unless I know EXACTLY what I need and EXACTLY the size. When I finally bought some new gear this year, I decided to guess based on some of the used stuff I had. Bad idea. Probably ended up paying about $50 worth of shipping fees back and forth (multiple items were wrong more than once). I stick to the LHS now. Plus the one I go to, the owner is incredible and sometimes just throws stuff in for free.
Well some people , like me, dont have an Amazing pro shop to go to... I think mine is still selling the Bauer X40 sticks for 150 bucks... I dont mind supporting local hockey shops but I dont want to pay over 50% more just because its a LHS ..... I think both online and LHS have their place.

Old
08-30-2010, 07:49 AM
dpixel8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Well some people , like me, dont have an Amazing pro shop to go to... I think mine is still selling the Bauer X40 sticks for 150 bucks... I dont mind supporting local hockey shops but I dont want to pay over 50% more just because its a LHS ..... I think both online and LHS have their place.

Totally agree with you there. But just don't go to a LHS to try stuff on and figure out what you want and then walk out the door to go buy it online.

Old
08-30-2010, 08:38 PM
nickerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpixel8 View Post
Totally agree with you there. But just don't go to a LHS to try stuff on and figure out what you want and then walk out the door to go buy it online.
yeah i bought my last skates from a LHS but I told them ... I want these... but i can get them online for 289.00... your charging 399.00 ... I will buy them from you for more than 289 but I am not going to spend 110 bucks more... We talked and he gave them to me for 319.00

Old
08-30-2010, 08:45 PM
dpixel8

Quote:
yeah i bought my last skates from a LHS but I told them ... I want these... but i can get them online for 289.00... your charging 399.00 ... I will buy them from you for more than 289 but I am not going to spend 110 bucks more... We talked and he gave them to me for 319.00

There you go.

Old
08-30-2010, 11:35 PM
madmutter
I heff to be med

Quote:
Well played

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:34 AM
nickerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
Well played
AH Thank you.. Ah Thank you...

I do like to support local rinks but I dont have any qualms buying online either.. I mean geez i run the blog and now the daily hockey deal site... The rinks pro shops here in OKC hold us over a barrel usually when it comes to pricing . There are only 2 places to shop here and both of them are rink pro shops so they use that to keep prices high. I think , for me anyway, I have a little more pull because I run a team that is always practicing and paying for private ice, also our sponsor buys dasher board signs so I have a little bargaining power.....

However other people who shop usually pay the high prices and it sucks for them because most dont even ask them to lower the prices .... However forgive my ramblings ... My only point was its good to support the local shops but sometimes you have to lookout for yourself and buy online too haha!