Old
08-16-2010, 11:55 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Wild searching for new identity, playoff berth

How many clean slates do we get? From the 30 in 30 series:

Quote:
Fortunately, the 2010-11 season represents a clean slate, where Wild management, coaches, players and fans can forget the past -- including last year's 84-point effort that was good for fourth in the Northwest Division and 13th in the West -- and move on with the promise of a better day under the leadership of the franchise's first permanent captain, Mikko Koivu.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:05 AM
J22

Its a good thing the Wild have BRETT Burns and Shane Hnidy to control play from the blueline. Seriously this guy gets paid to write for NHL.com?

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 03:11 AM
NightSky

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Its a good thing the Wild have BRETT Burns and Shane Hnidy to control play from the blueline. Seriously this guy gets paid to write for NHL.com?
Don't forget Nick Shultz

I suppose 3 names out of 6 is good enough for the Wild. I was pretty amazed he knew how to spell Marek Zidlicky.

NightSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 08:52 AM
pbunder

vCash: 50
so apparently they'll hire just anyone to write for nhl.com. I think i've found a new calling.

pbunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I stopped reading after they called out Havlat.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 10:21 AM
nickschultzfan

I think most hockey writers put the Wild at the bottom of the league because they are just too dang lazy.

It seems like the only thing that matters in pre-season rankings is how many big trades/UFA signings you made or young players you have that are expected to make the team. The Wild don't have much of either.

Yet, the Wild are still on the same level as Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, Phoenix, Anaheim, Dallas, Columbus, Nashville, and St. Louis.

In fact, after Chicago, Detroit, San Jose, and Vancouver, all the teams are kind of at the same level. Wild get put at the bottom because there is nothing flashy about them.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Wildlife

Well I wasn't planning on going into writing after college, but I mean if that article passes for an nhl.com article I think I could get hired there. I mean, I got an A in my English-200 class. Therefore I think that puts me at a higher writing level than this guy.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:39 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Pathetic journalism and it echos the sentiments of everyone who is not a fan, nor keeps up, with our team. We can't all have the high profile players like Detroit, Washington, Chicago, or Pittsburgh to brag about. This team is honestly like Nashville. A bunch of players that no one really cares about with exception of the one player who would make any Olympic national team roster (Preds=Weber, ours obvious) so they label it immediately as we can't succeed even with our own division. And I think that is a bunch of BS to begin with as well. Outside of Vancouver, what team got critically better than we did? Was Colorado's season a fluke? Or could they pull it off again? Calgary barely missed the playoffs, but they also got a year older and don't have anything to show for it this season either. Edmonton is still a mess. So we have a fighting chance to take 2nd this year within the division. When was the last time 2 teams from a division did NOT make the playoffs in the Western Conference?

Frankly though, I enjoy being the underdogs. We don't have to worry about fairweather fans nearly as much as some of them do. And it also gives me more ammo when we take down a big dog team *cough* Canucks *cough* more fuel for the fire for them being highly overrated as I believe they really are.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:49 PM
grN1g

i love being the underdog, especially this season with a lineup that could look like this:

Brunnette-Koivu-Wellman*
Latendresse-Cullen-Havlat
Kobasew-Miettinen*/Brodziak-Bouchard*
Nystrom-Brodziak/Miettinen-Clutterbuck
Staubitz

Schultz-Burns
Zanon-Zidlicky
Scandella*-Barker
Stoner

Backstrom
Harding
Khudobin

Aside from the Defense, I'd think this would almost be a contending team if everyone plays to their potential.

*Assuming Wellman can score more goals on 1st line than Miettinen, Bouchard comes back, Scandella makes the team, and Miettinen can play his 2 way game at center.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Don't forget Madden! Honestly though, the wild simply have too many forwards to keep Wellman up. For better or worse, he is AHL bound by the end of camp with the potential to be the number 1 callup in case of injury.

Brunnette-Koivu-Mittens/Bouchard*
Latendresse-Cullen-Havlat
Kobasew-Brodziak-Mittens/Bouchard*
Nystrom-Madden-Clutterbuck
Staubitz

Schultz-Burns
Zanon-Zidlicky
Scandella*-Barker
Stoner

Backstrom
Harding
Khudobin

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:58 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

"Depth, lineup flexibility and toughness were among the ingredients that left Minnesota. Leading the departed four was tough-guy Derek Boogaard, who signed with the New York Rangers as an unrestricted free agent."

Leading the departed in what? PIMs? Goal-less streak? Least amount of skill?

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:59 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Name recognition.

Actually, that's not even right. I think Owen Nolan has to have more.

Old
08-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

I don't even think they mentioned Nolan as one of the departed...

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:08 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I wouldn't doubt it given how badly informed the author is about the team.

Old
08-29-2010, 10:17 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I think most hockey writers put the Wild at the bottom of the league because they are just too dang lazy.

It seems like the only thing that matters in pre-season rankings is how many big trades/UFA signings you made or young players you have that are expected to make the team. The Wild don't have much of either.

Yet, the Wild are still on the same level as Calgary, Colorado, Edmonton, LA, Phoenix, Anaheim, Dallas, Columbus, Nashville, and St. Louis.

In fact, after Chicago, Detroit, San Jose, and Vancouver, all the teams are kind of at the same level. Wild get put at the bottom because there is nothing flashy about them.

I couldn't agree with you more on that statement which is why I picked the Wild to finish somewhere between 6-9 in the west. I just doubt the Wild can have so many players who have sub-par years as they did last year.

If anything I would actually remove Chicago from the top group and move them to the middle. They lost most of their 3rd/4th lines and those players were big contributors to their cup win.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 10:31 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

They also now have Turco in net.

Let's be honest about Turco. He's the type of goal tender that is somewhat difficult to play in front of, if you aren't used to him. He plays the puck more, he stick handles more, and gives up far more rebounds. Yes, Chicago's D will be able to handle most of those rebounds, but there's going to be a huge difference in goalie to defender relationship.

Going from a tender like Niemi to Turco is going to cause some small problems. If they stick Crawford in there for any stretch of the season (if Turco gets injured) they won't make the play-offs. I've seen Crawford several times with the Icehogs, and frankly, he's just not that good. Khudobin looked a helluvalot better in net than Crawford did and if the Aeros had anyone that could score...

The same thing can be said of San Jose. Nittymaki is a good tender, but frankly, he's no Nabokov. Nabby was huge for them in the regular season and with them putting their fate in the hands of Nitty, I just don't see them as strong as they were last year. Sure, they can pot a lot of goals, but their goals against are going to go up.

Simply put, my opinion is that if Backstrom gets a little more help from the D, which should happen with Wilson, his weak lateral movement won't be exposed that much.

These is also why I have Vancouver taking the #1 spot in the west this year...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote