HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Tim Kennedy

Old
08-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Hollywood Hulk Hogan
nWo 4 Life Brother

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Hollywood Hulk Hogan
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
Brian Boyle's size is not relevant in any discussion. He does not use it. Therefore he could be 9 foot 10 inches tall, it does not matter.
I know he doesn't use it, that's his problem, that's what the coaches are trying to instill in him. Does he deserve a roster spot? It's debatable. Would I shed a tear if he didn't make the team out of camp no. Nothing wrong with a friendly debate right

Hollywood Hulk Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:14 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post

So for centers we have:
Drury
Christensen
Boyle
Anisimov
Kennedy

Looks like Prospal will be playing wing for sure. My guess is that Boyle and Kennedy will battle for the 4th line spot.
Todd White.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I don't see him sitting either.

He's going to average 5-6 minutes a game and will play in 85% of the seasons games.

You don't sign this guy to sit him.
We signed Brashear for a similar amount and ended up sitting him. I wouldnt be utterly shocked if Boogaard played in less than 50 games this year. Anyone want to take that bet?

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
haveandare

For the people who are confused or unimpressed by the signing, Kennedy had 67 points in 73 AHL games before making the jump. Comparitely, Anisimov had 80 in 81. Last year, in their rookie years, Anisimov put up 12-16-28 and Kennedy put up 10-16-26. He's a good young player and definitely worth having on the roster.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings

Still waiting for a signing that excites me.

Then again, a lack of signings that are exciting is better than an abundance of signings that piss me off.

08-30-2010, 12:20 PM
pld459666

Quote:

So for centers we have:
Drury
Christensen
Boyle
Anisimov
Kennedy

Looks like Prospal will be playing wing for sure. My guess is that Boyle and Kennedy will battle for the 4th line spot.
Boyle will not be on the opening night roster.

Drury may, MAY, be the 2nd line center but depending on what Anisimov does, Drury could get supplanted as the #2 center as the season progresses.

I honestly don't see Kennedy making the team.

LW - Frolov, Dubinsky, Prospal, Boogaard, Avery
C - Christensen, Drury, Anisimov, White
RW - Gaborik, MZA, Callahan, Prust

Do you take Kennedy over Avery or Boogaard? Not a snowballs chance in hell.

I believe that White is going to start the season on the DL so that could be an opening, but Kennedy played 3rd line minutes in Buffalo. With EC, Drury and Arty here, that's not gonna happen.

A small defensive defecient player manning the center position between Prust and Boogaard? That's not appetizing.

MZA is not guaranteed a spot, but he will be given every opportunity to make the team as an offensive player playing in all sorts of offensive roles, there's no way you choose a Tim Kennedy over MZA until MZA proves he cannot cut it here in the NHL.

The Wolfpack need more offensive capable players and with this signing as well as the Jeremy Williams signing in concert with Stepan turning pro, they are getting it.

A much needed addition to the Wolfpack, and a solid call up, but I can't see this as anythign more.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:21 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
For the people who are confused or unimpressed by the signing, Kennedy had 67 points in 73 AHL games before making the jump. Comparitely, Anisimov had 80 in 81. Last year, in their rookie years, Anisimov put up 12-16-28 and Kennedy put up 10-16-26. He's a good young player and definitely worth having on the roster.
Exactly what I noticed. Not such a "whatever" pick up after all.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:21 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
for the last time Boogaard isn't sitting
You ever notice how whenever we sign another meaningless player, everyone always pencils them into the lineup?

White, Eminger, now Kennedy.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

Videos of all of his goals.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlp=8471842

Decent signing. Could be a very good bottom line player. Hes got some nice offensive upside too. Play him with players like Drury, Callahan and Prust. I dont think we will be seeing much of Boyle this season.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Dredden
JT Miller

AGrossRecord

Buffalo News reporting Tim Kennedy's deal with #NYRangers is one-way, one-year deal for $550,000. He got $333,333 from #Sabres in buyout.

mirtle

Tim Kennedy's deal with the Rangers is apparently right around the league minimum ($500k). Haven't seen official figure yet.

Dredden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:24 PM
FOXHOUND*

hey another New Yorker, can't go wrong there haha

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:25 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

550k is a decent deal IMO.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:27 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

thats a great deal... cant get much better

So do all teams stockpile players like this and we just don't notice.

08-30-2010, 12:28 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
I know he doesn't use it, that's his problem, that's what the coaches are trying to instill in him. Does he deserve a roster spot? It's debatable. Would I shed a tear if he didn't make the team out of camp no. Nothing wrong with a friendly debate right
See, but the point is that every single coach he's ever had has most likely been doing the same thing.

He is what he is. And it doesn't matter that he's 6'7, he's not going to start randonly using his size.

6 points in 71 games and absolutely zero physical play as a fourth liner? Sorry. It's highly doubtful he's going to be around.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:30 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
550k is a decent deal IMO.
It's called league minimum, lol.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:30 PM
NYR Viper

I would imagine he will be an extra forward with the team. One has to assume that there will be injuries this year or players will need time off.

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Prospal-Drury-Avery
Prust-Boyle-Boogard
Kennedy

Figure Boogard and MZA will need nights off(or not needed) and Kennedy could play 50+ games covering their spots. If someone goes down with injury they have a player who can fill a variety of roles.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
See, but the point is that every single coach he's ever had has most likely been doing the same thing.

He is what he is. And it doesn't matter that he's 6'7, he's not going to start randonly using his size.

6 points in 71 games and absolutely zero physical play as a fourth liner? Sorry. It's highly doubtful he's going to be around.
I wouldnt say zero physical play. He showed flashes last season of being a very good 4th line center by using his size down low and creating turnovers with his reach but defensively he is already very good. His size and strength down low help him outmuscle players and his reach adds as well. He is a very good PKer as well.

Torts likes him, the players like him, he serves a role. He will be on the team.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:33 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
disagree 100%

Christensen is better suited to play 1st line Center than Dubi is.

Dubinsky is not that great of a center. Not one that I would have any comfort playing on my top line.

His hockey sense off the wing is so much higher than it is manning the center position.

Dubi may be the better overall player, but EC is a better offensive talent than Brandon is and EC is better at the playmaking aspects of the game that are needed from your #1 center.

Neither is a great option for the #1 job, but if I absolutely had to choose one or the other for my #1 center spot, EC would be that player.

10 out of 10 times.
Which EC are we talking about? The docile, fragile, unsure Christensen? Or the one we saw flashes of last season?

Christensen can move the puck. That's the only thing he's got going for him. He's weak on face-offs, weak along the boards, average defensively, and doesn't create plays for his teammates on a consistent basis.

I'm not on the EC bandwagon like others here. There's a big reason why he was bounced around.

Dubinsky may not work as well with Gaborik, but he's the superior player. If your logic is based off of chemistry, then I would say you got the right idea in your head. But things change pretty quick so nothing should be set in stone, especially with Torts at the helm of things. He changes things up too quick as-is.

I think everyone on this team will have a fair opportunity of making this team. Torts isn't going to play favorites imo. He wants to win. He's going to try and put the best team on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
What's the point for this?
Point is pretty obvious. It's yet another low risk/high reward scenario with a young player who ultimately belongs in the NHL. It's a good signing, even if Kennedy plays mostly in Hartford. Kids up there need competent players to help them grow. Hartford was awful last season. Terrible, in fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Agreed. It's almost idiot-proof.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:34 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
I would imagine he will be an extra forward with the team. One has to assume that there will be injuries this year or players will need time off.

Frolov-Christensen-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Prospal-Drury-Avery
Prust-Boyle-Boogard
Kennedy

Figure Boogard and MZA will need nights off(or not needed) and Kennedy could play 50+ games covering their spots. If someone goes down with injury they have a player who can fill a variety of roles.
Problem is is MZA produces AT ALL offensively, there is no way he comes out.

It will be a DZ situation where they know he's tired but can't afford to take him out.

I'm still not sold like other people are that Boogaard won't be playing everyone.

Just because we constantly add more mediocre bottom pair forwards, in no way does that say to me that one of them is going to spell Boogaard.

Old
08-30-2010, 12:35 PM
haveandare

Quote:
You ever notice how whenever we sign another meaningless player, everyone always pencils them into the lineup?

White, Eminger, now Kennedy.
I know, right? Its like we're excited for the season to start or something.

Personally, I don't consider Kennedy "meaningless." He's a young player who is more or less equal to Anisimov, who few people would call meaningless. Eminger and White are old and not going to get any better. There's a huge difference between them and Kennedy.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We signed Brashear for a similar amount and ended up sitting him. I wouldnt be utterly shocked if Boogaard played in less than 50 games this year. Anyone want to take that bet?
Big difference between the 2 players.

Additionally, Brashear played in 36 games and was injured for an additional 10 games.

Was sent to the AHL on 2/13/10

Assuming you play in 13 games per month that would make 57 potential games to play in. Brashear would have layed in 80% of his teams games if he was healthy.

Finally, it was clear that the player we signed, was not the player that showed up to camp as all the benefits that we thought we were getting were never on display at any time during his four and a half months in NY.

Coversely, Boogaard would have dressed for approx. 65-72 games had he been healthy all season.

pld459666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Loffen
Hadouken!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredden View Post
AGrossRecord

Buffalo News reporting Tim Kennedy's deal with #NYRangers is one-way, one-year deal for $550,000. He got $333,333 from #Sabres in buyout.
Thank god.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
White and Boyle will not be on the team. Christensen might be in the AHL as well.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
haohmaru
boomshakalaka

Good riddance if Boyle is gone. EC in the AHL? I don't think so.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 12:38 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Problem is is MZA produces AT ALL offensively, there is no way he comes out.

It will be a DZ situation where they know he's tired but can't afford to take him out.

I'm still not sold like other people are that Boogaard won't be playing everyone.

Just because we constantly add more mediocre bottom pair forwards, in no way does that say to me that one of them is going to spell Boogaard.
I think it may be a bit different this season. The Rangers wanted to sign Semenov last year but he wouldnt sign and they were left caught with their pants down. This season they have the depth to give him a couple of nights off here and there. I am sure they are planning on it.

I wouldnt expect MZA to have a ton of points his first season anyways. Maybe 40 or so. Either way there will be injuries and players will need a night off over the season. He is a good, versatile forward.