HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Stu Barnes deal?

Closed Thread

Old
04-19-2005, 03:04 PM
Hawerchuk10

vCash: 500
The Stu Barnes deal?

Anyone here remember who the Sabres got for Stu from Dallas? I know he was a college player in the North East. Is he on ROC now? What is his potential and has he been playing?

I was bummed when Stu left to go to the Stars. I hope the deal was worth it.

Stuuuuuuuuuu Barnes!!

Old
04-19-2005, 03:17 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawerchuk10
Anyone here remember who the Sabres got for Stu from Dallas? I know he was a college player in the North East. Is he on ROC now? What is his potential and has he been playing?

Stuuuuuuuuuu Barnes!!
Currenlty injured, Mike Ryan was the player. The second round pick I believe was used to select Branislav Fabry...

04-19-2005, 03:18 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:

Stuuuuuuuuuu Barnes!!
They got Mike Ryan and a second round choice, which they used to pick Branislav Fabry... though, I can't tell you anything about those guys, don't know anything about them

Old
04-19-2005, 03:20 PM
Matsi
got paws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Currenlty injured, Mike Ryan was the player. The second round pick I believe was used to select Branislav Fabry...

aaaaaah, you beat me to it

Old
04-19-2005, 03:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ryan has good height, and from what I have seen, the puck follows him in all three zones. That element of anticipation combined with decent skating ability and what looks like an ok wrister could get him a look as a checking line guy in the NHL. He can skate, he seems to think a good game, and he has some handskills.... If he wasn't in his mid-20's already, he'd probably be better thought of. As it is, with the log-jam at forward ahead of him, he will have to displace a player who is more experienced, more talented or more expensive. Oh, and he's not under contract after the season ends, so they'd have to resign him (Group IV IIRC).

As for Fabry, he's in that Grosek/Varada style of winger from all accounts and the little I've seen in the WJC's. He plays the body and patrols his wing.

While both remain viable prospects, I'd rather have Barnes, Warrener and Ballard than Ryan, Fabry, and Drury.

Old
04-19-2005, 08:18 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
While both remain viable prospects, I'd rather have Barnes, Warrener and Ballard than Ryan, Fabry, and Drury.
I'd much rather have Warrener and Ballard than Drury, but if Fabry turns out to be like you said, a Grosek/Varada type player...I don't think it was that bad of a deal. I loved Stu as a player, but I like the new youth movement we have going on. Also, Stu's production was starting to tail off, and he was paid a bit too much to be a 3rd liner. He's 34 years old now, and he's getting paid $2m right now. We're pretty rich in forwards similar to Stu, and while he was a character guy and a crowd favorite, I don't think it made much sense to keep him in the long-run.

But yeah, I still think Warrener and Kalinin could have given us one of the best defensive pairings in the league, and for $2.2m he's pretty reasonably priced for his talent level.

Old
04-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Hawerchuk10

Thanks for the updates guys about Stu/Ryan.

No doubt about Rhett, that guy was non replaceable and a great D man. Don't know how Ballard will pan out yet, but as for Drury, I was happy to get him IMO. He is a hard worker and wants to win at all costs. Granted he didn't hit 20 goals last season, but now with some upcoming AMERKS I think he'll be better than ever. So my point is, I like Drury over Ballard/Warrener in the current situation for Buffalo. You gotta admit he's a good leader and a winner. Perhaps he will spark some new life into the Sabres when they get back to playing (still angry!!)

Old
04-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Thanks for the updates guys about Stu/Ryan.

No doubt about Rhett, that guy was non replaceable and a great D man. Don't know how Ballard will pan out yet, but as for Drury, I was happy to get him IMO. He is a hard worker and wants to win at all costs. Granted he didn't hit 20 goals last season, but now with some upcoming AMERKS I think he'll be better than ever. So my point is, I like Drury over Ballard/Warrener in the current situation for Buffalo. You gotta admit he's a good leader and a winner. Perhaps he will spark some new life into the Sabres when they get back to playing (still angry!!)
I love Drury but when you couple his salary with the players we gave up to get him, we certainly overpaid. His salary is definitely way too much for the role he is going to be playing with us. Tough call on the trade, but looking at our depth chart we obviously have more need for Warrener and Ballard. I can live with or without the trade because, like I said, I like Drury a lot. Ultimately, though, it wasn't a very astute move.

As for the Barnes trade, I'm 100% fine with that. Barnes was getting older and more expensive than he wasworth. Love the guy, but that's the truth. Ryan has a chance to match the kind of output Barnes had been giving in future years.

Closed Thread