HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc.
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Help on the CSHL, AJHL, And MJAHL

Old
08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
hockey3

vCash: 500
Help on the CSHL, AJHL, And MJAHL

I have been getting some offers from a few different teams. 1 in the CSHL, 1 in the Alberta Junior Hockey League, and 1 in the Maritime junior A hockey league. I understand that the CSHL is tier III junior A and the others are tier II junior A but what would be the most recommended? I know the AJHL gets alot of pro and college scouts but as for the MJAHL how would the scouting compare to the CSHL?

hockey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey3 View Post
I have been getting some offers from a few different teams. 1 in the CSHL, 1 in the Alberta Junior Hockey League, and 1 in the Maritime junior A hockey league. I understand that the CSHL is tier III junior A and the others are tier II junior A but what would be the most recommended? I know the AJHL gets alot of pro and college scouts but as for the MJAHL how would the scouting compare to the CSHL?
Not an expert for sure.
MJAHL kids in the Maritimes are scouted from the time they are in Bantam. This is Major Jr country and most kids have burnt thier NCAA eligibility by the time they reach Jr A or have left for New England prep schools to maintain NCAA eligibility.
The Maritimes is home to one of the best CIS conferences though and besides the kids coming from or going to the Q the MJAHL places 20-25 kids each year into AUS hockey.
Not a hotbed for NCAA but if you wanna get noticed by the Q or want to continue playing after at a Canadian University.............

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 04:25 AM
hockey3

Thanks for the response.
I knew it wasnt the hottest place for NCAA scouts but noticed a couple guys who went on to play NCAA or had looks. but how often is it that kids playing in the mjahl make the jump to the Q? (for those not drafted by a Q team). And do you know how the mjahl would compare to other junior A leagues out in canada?

hockey3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey3 View Post
Thanks for the response.
I knew it wasnt the hottest place for NCAA scouts but noticed a couple guys who went on to play NCAA or had looks. but how often is it that kids playing in the mjahl make the jump to the Q? (for those not drafted by a Q team). And do you know how the mjahl would compare to other junior A leagues out in canada?
MJAHL has won the Fred Page Cup....Eastern Jr A Championship vs Quebec and Ottawa leagues 2 of the last 4 years. So many are drafted by the Q outta Midget or sign on as FA Affliates it's hard to say with goings and comings. But I will refer you again to the number of placements in AUS. AUS is high profile to the players and right in the backyard. AUS has won the Canadian University Championship 3 of the last 4 years with MJAHL Alumni.
But yes there have been some NCAA recruits. U Maine mostly. The most famous being former Hobey Baker winner Scott Pellerin in the 90's.
But MJAHL is an older league of players usually made up of players 18-20 who join after Midget, High School or after trying the Q there are exceptions of course.
Here's a list that my home town MJAHL team chooses to use for Alumni..........below the history section
http://www.dieppecommandos.com/index...d=60&Itemid=63
And from the MHL site.
http://www.mjahl.com/commitments.php
As far as play between leagues the only exposure I've had is at FPC tourneys held in the area which isn't enough of a sample. But the MJAHL has held it's own at these events.
Jr A training camps start Aug 27th.................
Shouldn't you be like on the way to one of your offers??
You'd have to be on the ice with under age rookies and try-outs before those chosen in the MJAHL draft, returnees and those sent down from Q camps that open Aug 17.
Make sure at this late date that the teams you talked to are holding an import card open for you. Import rules in MJAHL are 8 but that includes all North American players from outside the 4 Atlantic Provinces.

Last edited by Alpine: 08-14-2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old
08-15-2010, 01:38 PM
LcandCompAlum91

I've played in the opjhl for two years when I turned 16. It was an amazing experience. However, due to the fact that that league was soo huge, the scouting was limited to the top 5 teams.

In every Canadien jra tier 2 league, you must be in the top 5 teams to get scouted. This sometimes is not the case for the bchl, but unfortunately, the USHL is becoming the dominant league and coaches are going there instead of the old canadien leagues.

If you want my advice go to the alberta league. What team is it? The cshl is complete garbage and if anyone tells u other wise they don't know anything about the game.

The maratime skill wise is good however like stated before me the college focus is more on the cis which isnt bad, its just not ncaa.

How old are you? Do u still have time to get on an nahl team?

Im going to the nahl to amarillo this year because the candien leagues were not good for scouting.

BTW. Alot of these coaches from these tier two candien leagues, will tell you that they are tier 1 now. The old opjhl, now the cchl and the ojahl, maybe stated as "tier 1" but skill wise they are still the equivalent to the nahl. Now oakville or wellington or kingston can compete with ushl teams but the majority of that league would have a tough time beating nahl teams.

LcandCompAlum91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 04:02 PM
Alpine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcandCompAlum91 View Post
I've played in the opjhl for two years when I turned 16. It was an amazing experience. However, due to the fact that that league was soo huge, the scouting was limited to the top 5 teams.

In every Canadien jra tier 2 league, you must be in the top 5 teams to get scouted. This sometimes is not the case for the bchl, but unfortunately, the USHL is becoming the dominant league and coaches are going there instead of the old canadien leagues.

If you want my advice go to the alberta league. What team is it? The cshl is complete garbage and if anyone tells u other wise they don't know anything about the game.

The maratime skill wise is good however like stated before me the college focus is more on the cis which isnt bad, its just not ncaa.

How old are you? Do u still have time to get on an nahl team?

Im going to the nahl to amarillo this year because the candien leagues were not good for scouting.

BTW. Alot of these coaches from these tier two candien leagues, will tell you that they are tier 1 now. The old opjhl, now the cchl and the ojahl, maybe stated as "tier 1" but skill wise they are still the equivalent to the nahl. Now oakville or wellington or kingston can compete with ushl teams but the majority of that league would have a tough time beating nahl teams.
MJAHL is also not Pay to Play and most teams (not all) have education funds available to help offset the costs of attending local Universities and Community Colleges. Which in itself breaks NCAA rules.
Most MJAHL players that enter AUS are allready 2nd or 3rd year students which unlike NCAA doesn't affect elligibility as the CIS clock doesn't start untill your name appears on a game sheet.
It's a Maritime thing. Some teams promote themselves as education through hockey and provide help with Uni and Community College costs, totally against NCAA rules.

Last edited by Alpine: 08-15-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old
08-15-2010, 06:54 PM
LcandCompAlum91

another point that i need to bring up.

you can't work in canada if u are american.

And, make sure u find out about the schooling situation before you go.

I had to come back to the states this year because in aug 09, the candien government presented me with a 15k bill for school. My coach had told me to tell them i was related to my billet mother which they found out at the end of the year that I wasnt.

LcandCompAlum91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Alpine

A great example of what i mentioned about Q and MJAHL as well as education.
The came out just today.
http://www.dieppecommandos.com/index...article&id=199

Old
08-30-2010, 11:30 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Just to comment on the AJHL. One of my current teammates now (and a good friend) played for Northern Cyclones in the AJHL.

When I asked him about the NCAA offers he said that at least 95% of the players got them on his team in NCAA D1 or D3. More so D3 but it wasn't rare to see many with D1 offers.

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Honu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Just to comment on the AJHL. One of my current teammates now (and a good friend) played for Northern Cyclones in the AJHL.

When I asked him about the NCAA offers he said that at least 95% of the players got them on his team in NCAA D1 or D3. More so D3 but it wasn't rare to see many with D1 offers.
Their top players usually go D3, unless you count the two from the 2008 team that maybe could have gone D1 but failed clearinghouse. The AJHL as a whole gets 9 D1 recruits every year, including those who have moved on to the USHL, NAHL, or EJHL.

Honu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Their top players usually go D3, unless you count the two from the 2008 team that maybe could have gone D1 but failed clearinghouse. The AJHL as a whole gets 9 D1 recruits every year, including those who have moved on to the USHL, NAHL, or EJHL.
The Northern Cyclones are proud to announce eleven players' 2010 NCAA College Hockey Commitments.

Another tremendous year of college placements, the Northern Cyclones are pleased to announce the commitment of eleven Junior A players to NCAA College Hockey teams.

Tommy Thompson- Mercyhurst College, Atlantic Hockey DI
Kyle Williams- Mercyhurst College, Atlantic Hockey DI
Dave O'Brien- Franklin Pierce University, Northeast-10 DII
Kevin Vanous- St. Anselm College, ECAC East DIII
Ryan Desroches- Curry College, ECAC Northeast DIII
Stephen Cook- Manhattanville College, ECAC West DIII
Arnaud Gottschall- Manhattanville College, ECAC West DIII
Justin Decowski- UMass Dartmouth, MASCAC DIII
Mike Naso- St. Michael's College, ECAC East DIII
Colin Flynn- Johnson & Wales University, ECAC Northeast DIII
Ian Orton- Johnson & Wales University, ECAC Northeast DIII

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 03:23 PM
Honu

Good job by the Cyclones. That puts them about equal with the EJHL's Springfield Pics and behind 8 or 9 other EJHL teams.

And their two D1 players will be on the Monarchs next year. Not exactly "everyone on the team had offers."

Old
09-07-2010, 11:08 PM
shootnscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LcandCompAlum91 View Post

Actually the representative from the CSHL just won the tier 3 A championship over the EJHL representative last march.
The CSHL is a decent choice as it is square in the middle of NAHL and USHL territory and I know of many kids who used the CSHL league as a stepping stone into the NAHL and some who got oppurtunities with USHL teams as well.
I also believe that a guy named Paul Stastny played a year in the CSHL before jumping to the USHL.
Depends on where the player is in his career and what he wants to do, but if college is the focus, then the EJHL and AJHL are great for D3 oppurtunities and for those few kids fortunate enough, some D1 ops as well.
The CSHL places quite a few into D3 schools and alot end up going the ACHA route which is getting better by the year.
I know a kid playing on a ACHA team right now which features 3 kids from the BCHL, 2 played in the NAHL, 1 played in the AJHL, 3 or 4 kids from major midget AAA programs, and quite a few are transfers from NCAA D3 schools.
Check out the roster from Lindenwood ACHA team, not too shabby.

http://achahockey.org/team_roster.ph...league_id=1059

shootnscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Honu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnscore View Post
Actually the representative from the CSHL just won the tier 3 A championship over the EJHL representative last march.
You might want to remind Charlie Coyle and Chris Wagner of that fact. Based on the events of the past few months, I think they might have forgotten.