HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avtsin signed

Old
08-30-2010, 08:22 PM
katatoniak

vCash: 500
I cant wait to see him at rookie camp and habs camp in what ... 2 weeks ?

katatoniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:02 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
There's a deal between the CHL and the AHL that says a player must have played a certain number of games or be of a certain age before playing in the AHL (he can play in the NHL anytime). That deal exists to protect the CHL, by alowing them to retain good players longer.

Latendresse wasn't learning anything anymore in the Q (he was too physically mature and dominating compared to his peers), so after two seasons and two very good training camps the habs brass decided to bring him early - straight in the NHL. That's why he never played in the AHL.
Actually, I remember Dany Dubé saying that Latendresse didn't want to go back at Junior because he felt that he didn't have anything left to learn there and demanded that the Habs sign him. Take it for what it's worth..

Guilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:03 PM
Felix Perreault

I hope he will play in the two preseason games on RDS .. ! Cant wait to see him !

Felix Perreault is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:31 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He's not going to make the team. **** this kid is getting way too much hype. I can't wait to see everyone jump off a bridge when he starts to struggle.
I'm expecting these lines already:

- He's a floater.

- He's lazy

- He plays 1 good game out of 5.

- So much talent, no heart

- Go back to your country (KHL)

Even if its not true, some people will use those lines to bash him for not scoring more than 20 goals in his first season with the Habs.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:33 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I'm expecting these lines already:

- He's a floater.

- He's lazy

- He plays 1 good game out of 5.

- So much talent, no heart

- Go back to your country (KHL)
-Can't speak french

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:39 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
-Can't speak french

- Je suis Scott Gomez

- Je suis Michael Cammalleri

- ... Alexander Avtsin

Crowd: BOOOOOOOOOO...

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:22 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
Yeah I get what your saying youkre right but our whole bottom 6 is particularly young I mean unless you plug Darche in. Our most experienced
Player is Moen but what can you do? PG seems to be going with a faster grittier and younger bottom 6, no matter what
Lines you make either the 3rd of 4th will be young/inexperienced and its certainly no better if you plug Pouliot and Kostitsyn
On the 3rd line because they both may be skilled but aren't consistent enough or good have strong enough character to mentor the other players.
If he is going to stay here long-term and not be replaced by Pacioretty, Kostitsyn needs to play LW. That is where he had his best season, and where he is most comfortable IN HIS OWN ZONE. He is free to take shots from his off-wing on offence, like Cammalleri does too.

Kostitsyn on RW in his own zone has been a two-year train wreck. We get hemmed in for 45 seconds at a time, several times a game. Since we did not go and sign Frolov, we will need to develop our OWN strong RW with RH shots.

So, if and when Avtsin and Leblanc are ready (it will probably not be for 1 year or 2), I would like to see this:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Avtsin
Kostitsyn/Pacioretty-Eller-Leblanc
Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre
extra: White

Moen contract finished or traded.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:27 AM
FeelsLike93

those lines look real good (if avtsin and leblanc pan out)

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:16 AM
Rise from the Ashes
@JoelGabbayNHL

Send a message via MSN to Rise from the Ashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
If he is going to stay here long-term and not be replaced by Pacioretty, Kostitsyn needs to play LW. That is where he had his best season, and where he is most comfortable IN HIS OWN ZONE. He is free to take shots from his off-wing on offence, like Cammalleri does too.

Kostitsyn on RW in his own zone has been a two-year train wreck. We get hemmed in for 45 seconds at a time, several times a game. Since we did not go and sign Frolov, we will need to develop our OWN strong RW with RH shots.

So, if and when Avtsin and Leblanc are ready (it will probably not be for 1 year or 2), I would like to see this:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cammalleri-Plekanec-Avtsin
Kostitsyn/Pacioretty-Eller-Leblanc
Pyatt-Boyd-Lapierre
extra: White

Moen contract finished or traded.

While I see lots of offense and speed I see very little grit up front. We desperately need gritty wingers on this team, and these arent he guys. They all dont shy away from the play, but they surely dont start the physical play.

Rise from the Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:35 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montréal Russians View Post
While I see lots of offense and speed I see very little grit up front. We desperately need gritty wingers on this team, and these arent he guys. They all dont shy away from the play, but they surely dont start the physical play.

Pouliot will hit, Eller DEFINITELY uses the body, Leblanc is surprisingly gritty (in fact I see him eventually as a net-driven RW and not a C), Boyd is gritty, as are Lapierre and even Pyatt who fights for every inch on the ice. And we would have White as the 13th forward probably playing most games since there is usually at least one forward injured. Even AK46 will hit on the forecheck, his "softness" is in his own zone on the wrong wing, and anyway if he doesn't stick then Patches can hit.

Basically I disagree with your assessment of the third line. I see much more grit there than you see right now.

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:29 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
Cam-Plekanec-AK
Boyd/Pyatt-Eller-Avsin
Moen-Boyd/Pyatt-Lapierre
Darche

I think these are perfect lines if Avtsin was to play with the Habs. I don't think putting Pouliot on the 3rd line is the best idea because it would lower his confidence and he needs confidence to perform to his highest potential. Putting Eller-Avtsin together with Pyatt would be an unreal 3rd line imo because you got 2 good skilled players on the 3rd line playing with an awesome hustler/defensive player. And then on the 4th have Moen Boyd Lapierre, the bottom 6 would be fantastic
Expecting a 19 year old coming over from Russia(culture adjustment, small ice adjustment, language adjustment) to jump in and make the NHL team right away is not very realistic.

I expect him to produce at around 0.5 PPGM in the AHL at least for the first half until he gets adjusted. AK at 19...66 GP 12-11-23 with Hamilton

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:07 AM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Pouliot will hit, Eller DEFINITELY uses the body, Leblanc is surprisingly gritty (in fact I see him eventually as a net-driven RW and not a C), Boyd is gritty, as are Lapierre and even Pyatt who fights for every inch on the ice. And we would have White as the 13th forward probably playing most games since there is usually at least one forward injured. Even AK46 will hit on the forecheck, his "softness" is in his own zone on the wrong wing, and anyway if he doesn't stick then Patches can hit.

Basically I disagree with your assessment of the third line. I see much more grit there than you see right now.
You forget Gionta who, although he doesn't have the size, is the very definition of gritty.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:53 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Expecting a 19 year old coming over from Russia(culture adjustment, small ice adjustment, language adjustment) to jump in and make the NHL team right away is not very realistic.

I expect him to produce at around 0.5 PPGM in the AHL at least for the first half until he gets adjusted. AK at 19...66 GP 12-11-23 with Hamilton
I think Maxim Mayorov is a pretty good parallel to Avtsin. Both picked in the fourth round (but probably would have gone earlier if not for the Russian Factor) and touted as potential steals, neither tore up the KHL/RSL, both good-sized wingers with speed, both came to North America a year after being drafted.

Mayorov put up 31 points in 71 games for Syracuse (0 pts in 3 GP for Columbus), not too far off from where Avtsin will probably finish (40-45 points maybe?).

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I think Maxim Mayorov is a pretty good parallel to Avtsin. Both picked in the fourth round (but probably would have gone earlier if not for the Russian Factor) and touted as potential steals, neither tore up the KHL/RSL, both good-sized wingers with speed, both came to North America a year after being drafted.

Mayorov put up 31 points in 71 games for Syracuse (0 pts in 3 GP for Columbus), not too far off from where Avtsin will probably finish (40-45 points maybe?).
Actually a great comparison. For having seen them a couple of times in the past 2 years though, it's fair to say that Syracuse was borderline average, something we shouldn't be. So also fair to think that Avtsin will have more points than him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:53 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Actually a great comparison. For having seen them a couple of times in the past 2 years though, it's fair to say that Syracuse was borderline average, something we shouldn't be. So also fair to think that Avtsin will have more points than him.
I was actually thinking of editing in as much (Syracuse being a weak team vs. Hamilton, which isn't expected to be), so thanks for pointing it out

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Playing for a better and deeper team isn't all positives, though. Ice time and being used in key situations might come a little bit harder for a rookie such as Avtsin. The Bulldogs will be full of guys that deserve to play a top-6 role and get decent PP ice time.

It's not going to be easy for the kid and he'll have to show a lot to get his dues. Hopefully, he gets there sooner rather than later.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Playing for a better and deeper team isn't all positives, though. Ice time and being used in key situations might come a little bit harder for a rookie such as Avtsin. The Bulldogs will be full of guys that deserve to play a top-6 role and get decent PP ice time.

It's not going to be easy for the kid and he'll have to show a lot to get his dues. Hopefully, he gets there sooner rather than later.
You're also right Fozz. Though in that case, I strongly believe depending of who stays with us, that he'll be the 2nd most used winger after Palushaj at least for the offensive missions. If MaxPac is a Dog, then he might fell to #3. But he'll get his numerous PP's. And he'll be used when a goal will be needed. Now it doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be treated as one of the most used 'cause in tight games, a line including White and Russell might also see a whole lot of icetime.

But I just have confidence that he starts with a most deserved bias towards him.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote