HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Thread

Old
08-29-2010, 05:19 AM
The Saw Is the Law

vCash: 500
Wow! Zherdev looks very entertainment player. Good size 6'2 and 201lbs. In highlight videos someone noticed that there was a lot last minute goals? I'm excited.

Last years stats looks bad. KHL: 52games 13+26...

The Saw Is the Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 09:11 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I think his goal at 3:52 of SolidSnake's video is a reason why Homer got him.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 10:33 AM
potvins4cups

I have been intrigued by zherdev. he has the ability, skill and talent to be one of the leagues top 7 players. this guy could very easily be a 40-40 player. unfortunately for one reason or another he just doesn't put it together on a consistent basis. the best description i can give is, he doesn't possess the desire to be the best he can be. you look at players like ovechkin, crosby, malkin, parise, zetterberg, datsyuk, they all share that desire.

potvins4cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Saw Is the Law View Post
Last years stats looks bad. KHL: 52games 13+26...
Wow. Is there any explanation for that? Like injuries or something?

I don't watch the KHL, but I would think that any capable player offensively in the NHL should be able to tear up the KHL.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 11:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Wow. Is there any explanation for that? Like injuries or something?

I don't watch the KHL, but I would think that any capable player offensively in the NHL should be able to tear up the KHL.
KHL is generally pretty low scoring.

Jagr: 22-20-42 in 51 games.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
Just think of this line: Leino-Giroux-Zherdev

my god, no one would ever know where the puck is....
Relax on Leino, he looked good in the playoffs but reality is he had something like 5 goals in @40 games last season. Jury still out.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:40 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

Zherdev with the right line mates could be deadly. If not, expect many turnovers at the blue line.

The most frustrating thing as a CBJ fan was the combo of Chimera and Zherdev. Chimera (hands-of-stone) is a straight line skater, Zherdev dangles (usually just before crossing the blue). Very bad combo. The number of offsides calls on Chimera was astronomical (partly his fault, partly Zherdev's).

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:21 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
KHL is generally pretty low scoring.

Jagr: 22-20-42 in 51 games.
This is true. I find if you have a points total that is anywhere near 75% or above of total games played, you are doing very well

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
This is true. I find if you have a points total that is anywhere near 75% or above of total games played, you are doing very well
Yeah, a few guys have absolutely torn it up... but it seems like being a PPG player over there is pretty tough.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:05 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Zherdev play for us. We haven't had a flashy player like him in a long time.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:08 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Relax on Leino, he looked good in the playoffs but reality is he had something like 5 goals in @40 games last season. Jury still out.
This.

I think a lot of people are setting themselves up to be disappointed by him this year. Which isn't to say he'll do poorly, I just think peoples' expectations are getting a little out of hand.

Also, who has slicker hands....G or Z?

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:12 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Zherdev play for us. We haven't had a flashy player like him in a long time.
He's got a tremendous skill level - he can skate, carry the puck, shoot and pass. Given the talent around him, I can see him being a really dangerous player for us.

If they go with the currently pencilled in line of JVR-Carter-Zherdev, I can see all three of them causing fits for defenses with their speed and skill and size. D will have to back off because of the speed coming at them, so there could be a lot of nice drop or cross ice passes - and all three can score from a distance.

I think Zherdev will be motivated to take a place among the star Russians - and he needs to earn a longer term NHL contract so he can play here until Sochi....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post

Also, who has slicker hands....G or Z?
Different style of slick, Giroux kind of uses his skills to create the passing lanes and find space to create for others, Zherdev is looking to be on Sportscenter with a highlite goal.

Probably Zherdev, but I would rather want Giroux's style as a teammate, a little more conservative.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:28 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Different style of slick, Giroux kind of uses his skills to create the passing lanes and find space to create for others, Zherdev is looking to be on Sportscenter with a highlite goal.

Probably Zherdev, but I would rather want Giroux's style as a teammate, a little more conservative.
I just posted a poll about this. I think it's an interesting topic and should yield some interesting analysis and debate.

I'm giving Giroux the nod because I think a lot of Zherdev's flash comes from having more size and speed to just blow through/around players. Giroux really has to work his way around people.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
He's got a tremendous skill level - he can skate, carry the puck, shoot and pass. Given the talent around him, I can see him being a really dangerous player for us.

If they go with the currently pencilled in line of JVR-Carter-Zherdev, I can see all three of them causing fits for defenses with their speed and skill and size. D will have to back off because of the speed coming at them, so there could be a lot of nice drop or cross ice passes - and all three can score from a distance.

I think Zherdev will be motivated to take a place among the star Russians - and he needs to earn a longer term NHL contract so he can play here until Sochi....
That's the key for my hopes in Zherdev. His problems before was a lack of motivation; he's a gifted player and has all the tools to excel but he never had the drive to take that next step. This is likely his last chance to showcase his talents, so that should light a fire under his ass.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:01 AM
bubs

I know Zherdev can score and produce offensively as well as provide some highlight reel material but as far as his attitude and defensive game I am optimistic but dont really expect much. I am just gonna do what I always try to do and hold the entire to team to very low expectations and hope for the best. This way when they screw up I can remind my self that I saw it coming.

bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:24 PM
HoosierDaddy

You'll Love....Relax

Rangerfan here...

I've spent a long time calling fans out on our board since the Baffoon from Banf-f-f let him walk. There was a poll conducted about who we preferred to have Kotalik over Zherdev, and Kotalik won. Nuff said.

Ranger fans love to rag on him for the playoff (non)performance, but very few look at the numbers. In the PO's he was getting 7th forward minutes and almost zero powerplay time, yet Ranger fans love to bag on him for not showing up. Yet the $7mm 3rd line center gets a pass. You can't score from the bench. I actually have an excel wks with the scoring table for the series.

Ranger fans say he didn't work out for the Rangers, but yet he still co-led the team in scoring playing 5 mins less per minute than Gomex, the co-leader.

They ***** and moan about his poor defensive play, yet he was 2nd in +/- to Cally.

With the forward depth and protection on your team he will easily set a new personal high for points. Book it. Needless to say I will be watching more Flyer games.

Oh, and whoever mentioned that he had a bad KHL season does not watch the KHL. He was around top 20 in scoring if memory serves.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote