HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Feet Problems

Old
08-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Maccas

vCash: 500
Feet Problems

Hey Guys,
I've recently started up skating with a view to playing hockey recreationally (bit late starting at 24 but oh well!) but I've been having a bit of a problem.
I'm comfortable skating forward (crossovers etc) but when skating backwards I can skate for about 30 seconds or about 10 seconds doing backwards crossovers and start getting some major pain in the arches of my feet and across the sole of my foot.
I've been using a pair of Bauer Supreme One05 skates which were sized up by the guy in the shop and certainly don't feel too tight or too loose.
Is there anything that can be causing this? (technique etc)
Thanks in advance

Maccas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 05:28 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Hey Guys,
I've recently started up skating with a view to playing hockey recreationally (bit late starting at 24 but oh well!) but I've been having a bit of a problem.
I'm comfortable skating forward (crossovers etc) but when skating backwards I can skate for about 30 seconds or about 10 seconds doing backwards crossovers and start getting some major pain in the arches of my feet and across the sole of my foot.
I've been using a pair of Bauer Supreme One05 skates which were sized up by the guy in the shop and certainly don't feel too tight or too loose.
Is there anything that can be causing this? (technique etc)
Thanks in advance

1) Your skates are pretty cheep skates, that MIGHT be the problem, but for a new player, they probably are fine.

2) Try going to your local pro-shop, and getting them heated.

3) You know the pads you can put in your shoes? You can get thoes for your skates too! Go to your hockey shop and ask if they have any of them.

If none of these work, Then try a pair of higher-end skates, and walk around in them more in the store.

Good luck! Have fun playing!

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 07:21 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
A proper footbed could really help you out. I used the cheap footbeds that came with my skates for a good while and my feet ached ALL the time. I got these and my pains went away first time I used em.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?PCODE=SDFB

You should be able to find some hockey-specific footbeds there. At least a cheap way to find out if that's the problem.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 12:03 AM
Defgarden

It could be that you're putting even more weight on your toes, which would strain your arches much more than normal. I have flat feet and skating REALLY hurt my feet when I started, and still does sometimes, but the pain lessens each and every time (except the last since I took two months off from skating).

It'll probably go away on its own after a while, or will lessen over time when you get more comfortable skating backwards (probably just using foot muscles differently). I also want to second (or 3rd I guess) using custom footbeds. I bought some superfeet. It wasn't night and day at first, but they let me skate without feeling like I was crippled, so it was well worth the 40 bucks.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 04:02 AM
Maccas

Thanks guys
I've found a pair of Hockey specific insoles with a company that I was about to place an order with for a Jersey and a couple of other bits so I'll stick these on the order and give them a try!
Thanks for the help

Old
08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
Blueland89

Mine still hurt when i take my skates off it really hurts to walk. I have the Bauer RX:05 inline skates. I think the reason my hurt like they do is because I need a wider boot, I'm thinking about going to a reebok there supposed to be wider. I've only been skating for really about 2 months now should it still be hurting.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:31 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I find myself unconsciously clenching my toes when doing difficult maneuvers, especially skating backwards. I've heard it's a common problem with beginners, but is there a solution besides waiting it out?

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:54 AM
ktang

Sometimes the feet will shift forwards enough when you are skating backwards to give you the pain that you are describing.

You could try kicking the skate backwards against the boards to re-seat the skates to alleviate the pain.

ktang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
Mine still hurt when i take my skates off it really hurts to walk. I have the Bauer RX:05 inline skates. I think the reason my hurt like they do is because I need a wider boot, I'm thinking about going to a reebok there supposed to be wider. I've only been skating for really about 2 months now should it still be hurting.
Both of these could be the same type of problem. When you are putting pressure on the front of your foot (as you would with skating backwards), it wants to flatten out, but if the boot is stiff and narrow, your foot has nowhere to go, so it curls up and you get pain and cramps.

One thing to try is to bring the skates to a good hockey shop and describe the problem and ask if they can stretch them or punch them out. Usually they do it for free with a sharpening. What they'll so is widen the boot very slightly where you're having pain.

The only thing I don't know is if cheap skates can be punched/stretched. Usually they can't be baked, but I think they can be punched.

I had SERIOUS foot pain with my skates when they were new, had them punched out a bit up front and problem solved.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:10 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Both of these could be the same type of problem. When you are putting pressure on the front of your foot (as you would with skating backwards), it wants to flatten out, but if the boot is stiff and narrow, your foot has nowhere to go, so it curls up and you get pain and cramps.

One thing to try is to bring the skates to a good hockey shop and describe the problem and ask if they can stretch them or punch them out. Usually they do it for free with a sharpening. What they'll so is widen the boot very slightly where you're having pain.

The only thing I don't know is if cheap skates can be punched/stretched. Usually they can't be baked, but I think they can be punched.

I had SERIOUS foot pain with my skates when they were new, had them punched out a bit up front and problem solved.
Will that even work with inline skates

Old
08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If they're built like hockey skates, yes.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Blueland89

Bauer RX:05

Old
09-01-2010, 02:30 PM
Maccas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

Thanks for the advice!
I've got some insoles designed to support my arch which I am going to be using tomorrow as I am trying out for a local recreational team. Hopefully they will work if not then a trip to the skate shop will be in order. To be honest i'm not adverse to buying a new set of decent skates, these have lasted me a few months and now they are about to get some heavy use.

Old
09-02-2010, 04:38 AM
earthwormjim

If you're just learning to skate this is normal and there's nothing you can do about it. Skate more, and tough it out. Your feet get used to it eventually.

earthwormjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2010, 03:27 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Lord did this happen to me today in a class. I know how to skate backwards but haven't done it consistently in a while (because my front to back pivot sucks), and after about 5 minutes of doing backwards work, the balls of my feet/fronts of my arches killed.

I've got a wide foot to begin with and RBK skates, which were the widest I could find. Is there any sort of non-skating work you can do with those muscles to help stretch/strengthen them so the cramping doesn't happen? I'm in a one-rink town, and my ice time is limited this part of the year.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote