HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Niemi to make decision within next 48 hours

Old
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
gongshowmonkey

vCash: 500
Niemi to make decision within next 48 hours

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-decision-soon

Quote:
I talked to a source today that indicated former Blackhawks goalie Antti Niemi is close to making a decision on where he will play this upcoming season. It should happen over the next 48 hours.

According to this source, Niemi has offers from multiple teams. My guess is heís weighing a short-term deal with a contender -- think San Jose -- rather than a deal with more security for a team that may not be ready to win.

Niemi became an unrestricted free agent after the Hawks turned down an arbitratorís decision to pay him $2.75 million for the 2010-2011 season. If Niemi signs a one-year deal, heíll become an unrestricted free-agent again next offseason.

gongshowmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Sharksfan83

I cant see SJ being interested in him =/ Unless they plan on moving Greiss

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Legion
Lord of Winterfell

Does Niemi play shut down defense, aside from the whole.... you know, standing in front of the goal thing?

Legion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Going with a 1-year deal in San Jose or Philly would be a brilliant move for Niemi. If he can make even a decent playoff run there will be a long queue for his services next summer.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:05 PM
GetPucksDeep

The decision he needs to make is to fire his agent. He'd be the Blackhawks goalie today if he had an agent who understood the current market better.

GetPucksDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:07 PM
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
The decision he needs to make is to fire his agent. He'd be the Blackhawks goalie today if he had an agent who understood the current market better.
I doubt he fires Bill Zito

Old
08-31-2010, 12:08 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Going with a 1-year deal in San Jose or Philly would be a brilliant move for Niemi. If he can make even a decent playoff run there will be a long queue for his services next summer.
.. as opposed to the decent playoff run he just HAD, resulting in a Stanley Cup, which left him unemployed? Why would the market for goaltenders be any better next year? If anything it will be worse as more unproven goaltenders secure spots (Markstrom, Schneider, Rask, Bernier, etc) pushing more vets out.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:08 PM
ndgt10

SJ fans have assured us all that there is no chance they go for Niemi.

And behind that defense, he would be exposed.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:09 PM
hockeyball

Not going to happen. We don't have room for another goalie. It would eat up the cap space we need to spend on defense. DW said he 'got the goalie he wanted'. Our main beat writer said he asked about the chances of signing Niemi and was told "Not going to happen".

The writers who keep including the Shark's in this crap simply have no idea what they are talking about, as usual.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:10 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
.. as opposed to the decent playoff run he just HAD, resulting in a Stanley Cup, which left him unemployed?
Unemployed = no team wants to sign him, according to the article there are teams that have interest in him. Besides its not his fault that the Hawks don't have cap.

However the rest of your post I agree with.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Unemployed = no team wants to sign him, according to the article there are teams that have interest in him. Besides its not his fault that the Hawks don't have cap.

However the rest of your post I agree with.
To me, the point is teams realize that hockey is a team sport that while it's great to have a "top five" goalie (Miller, Lundqvist, Luongo, etc); having one doesn't necessarily bring playoff success. Niemi's being exposed for what he is: a replaceable part. That doesn't mean that he isn't a good goalie, but rather the system is what's the real determining factor.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:25 PM
Ishad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetNoneIn View Post
I'd hold off on crucifying his agent until he signs. If he signs with a contender for 1 year at 2 million it's pretty much just a lateral move.

Ishad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I do not want him ending up in the West. I don't want to see him with the Sharks, the fanbase on here seems to think there is no chance.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:27 PM
funky

I think 2.75 is not a bad deal for him. Quick signed a 3 year at 1.8 and I think that is a steal. I would put the two goalies in the same class other then Niemi has a ring on his resume.

Saying that he did benifit from an All Star defence in front of him. Lets see what happens to Khabi in court today. Edmonton may find a loop hole to get out of his contract and Niemi would look good in their rebuild process.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
.. as opposed to the decent playoff run he just HAD, resulting in a Stanley Cup, which left him unemployed? Why would the market for goaltenders be any better next year? If anything it will be worse as more unproven goaltenders secure spots (Markstrom, Schneider, Rask, Bernier, etc) pushing more vets out.
He was a cap casualty and stumbled into a bad market. Not exactly normal circumstances for a Cup winner.

This is the NHL we're talking about. GMs will be all over a veteran goalie who gets the reputation of being money in the playoffs, even if he's not that great on balance.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
gongshowmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
I think 2.75 is not a bad deal for him. Quick signed a 3 year at 1.8 and I think that is a steal. I would put the two goalies in the same class other then Niemi has a ring on his resume.

Saying that he did benifit from an All Star defence in front of him. Lets see what happens to Khabi in court today. Edmonton may find a loop hole to get out of his contract and Niemi would look good in their rebuild process.
Niemi doesn't have a weak short side

Old
08-31-2010, 12:32 PM
Behn Wilson

I think he will be lucky to get 2 milliion and will probably sign for less, my guess is 1.5 million or under. He should have already fired Zito.

Behn Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:33 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post

It is to a team riddled in cap hell. Niemi has to accept he is not likely to cash in on a large contract. He performance was overall pretty average. He had some solid games, still he was playing in front of a top three defensive core. Problem is most teams in need of a goalie are having cap woes or simply he is not enough of an improvement to what they have in net already.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:36 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

I am hoping he signs a 1 year deal so we have a shot at him next year. I would like to see him back.

HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:39 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson View Post
I think he will be lucky to get 2 milliion and will probably sign for less, my guess is 1.5 million or under. He should have already fired Zito.
Even at 1.5m he's pricing himself out of a lot of teams. I honestly have no clue where he'll end up but most of the teams are already set in goal or are close to the cap.

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:40 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

I think a surprise destination could be Ottawa. I mean, LeClaire/Elliot is far from solid goaltending, and LeClaire is the epitome of injury-prone.

LeafsandSharksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:41 PM
TOML

SJ - Niitty and a rookie? Well, Chicago had worse.
Was - Varlamov and Neuvirth = Glass groin city.
Philly - Cap space, schmap space. Get a goalie!

TOML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Yog S'loth

If he signs for less than Turco, is he officially the biggest dummy in the league?

Yog S'loth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:43 PM
Richiebottles
Moonemojibro

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Philly already with lights on Leighton and Boucher will start the season as is in terms of goaltenders . I could see him going to Edmonton .

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe

Hopefully Oil sign him, I dont care if we have 5 goalies!

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote