HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Music

Old
08-30-2010, 07:31 PM
Augscura

vCash: 500
Music

Much like hockey, Music is a huge part of my life. Not just listening, but playing music too. I picked up a guitar just over a year ago and it has changed my life. I personally enjoy metal and most of its sub-genres. My favorite has to be Techy/Prog like stuff. Bands like Mirrorthrone, Opeth, Augury, Ihsahn, The Faceless, Obscura, Between The Buried And Me, Psycroptic, Gojira. I could go on and on.

Even though I prefer metal, I respect many genres of music that display some sort of musicianship. Jazz is another great genre that I am getting into. I feel Metal and Jazz or so diverse and flow with so many other genres so well. That's why we have so many sub-genres among those two because they can branch off and mix with so many different styles and sound good. The only music I don't like is most alternative rock, pop, rap, and country. For the most part, those genres are very one dimensional and there is no learning curve to it. I like to be challenged when listening to music. I like to go back and discover something new in a song that I have listened to many times. I like a lot of layers and depth in the music I listen to and I don't feel those genres have that at all but that is just my opinion.

Was just wondering what other people listen to and if there are any other Islander fans who play instruments and what music you prefer.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:39 PM
OK Okposo

Lets see:

- I play bass in a noise rock band called Throathash. Mix of noise, hardcore, sludge and grindcore. Its pretty heavy stuff, we mostly do it as a joke considering not many people stick around for an entire set. Weve been banned from multiple venues.

- Along with the kind of music that my band plays (Hardcore, Sludge, Noise) I'm pretty open to most genres. Big fan of really abrasive music like Black Metal and Industrial, but I like alot more accessable genres. Shoegaze, Post-rock, Post-Punk, Garage Rock, all kinds of indie stuff, psychedelic stuff... Huge fan of neil young, bob dylan... too much to list really.

- Not a fan of most music you would hear on the radio, especially hip hop. When I listen to rap I prefer underground stuff.

- I have a tattoo of the black flag bars on my bicep, and I have the aphex twin symbol on my wrist. Tons of old band tees from shows I've been too.

OK Okposo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:45 PM
Augscura

Cool! I like some Post-Metal/sludge, bands like Isis, Cult of Luna, Rwake are really cool. As for shoegaze I like Alcest. I too am a huge fan of Black metal. I like stuff like Wolves In The Throne Room, Taake, Watain, Deathspell Omega among others. I love ambient black metal, especially before and during sleep. I have some weird dreams lol.

Old
08-30-2010, 11:46 PM
mitchy22

I love me some metal of varying types. That said, I've found that I've been more open to listen to a wide array of content with so much of it being free.

It's a lot easier to listen to something these days, without having to shell out money for an album you would previously have hidden from anyone who knows you when you were younger. (Well, at least when I was younger.) Still, for the most part, I get exposed to non-metal stuff through friends or random Youtube searches when I'm bored.

Nightwish is probably my favorite band that I've come across in recent years. Their cover of High Hopes by Pink Floyd might help bridge the gap for some folks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gkg88Mw5xJw If you poke around the rest of the End of an Era stuff on youtube, you'll get to hear Tarja who sings on most of their songs and has an amazing voice. Unfortunately, she's no longer with the band. (Their male bassist sings on High Hopes.)

Not that long ago, I purchased a couple random "Battle Metal" CDs and picked up some Authentic Scottish Pirate Metal from Alestorm. Hehe. http://www.myspace.com/alestorm (Play Captain Morgan's Revenge, the chorus gets awfully catchy if you're remotely interested in that type of thing. Other than owning a CD, I'm not affiliated with the band in any way.)

I still like like to buy random metal CDs from bands I've never heard of at Target for $10 or through Amazon. I've managed to stay away from MP3 purchases or music services. I feel like I'll be crossing that threshold soon. I'm afraid of how much disposable income I'll be going through once that happens.

I've thrown a couple of music documentaries into the Netflix Instant Queue, but I haven't found the time to really sit down with many. For the guitar players, It Might Get Loud should be worth it. (Also worth watching, if you're a fan of The White Stripes/Jack White, U2/The Edge or Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page.) Might as well mention that I really like most of the stuff that Jack White is involved in. Even if you're not interested in his work, the opening of the documentary might get your attention.

I used to play guitar or bass in a few different bands. The bands ranged from metal, to punk with some ska mixed in, to punk and some hardcore mixed in, and what I'd probably describe as a garage rock band. It's been years since I've picked up my guitar with any kind of serious intent at doing something with it (or the time to do so.) Rather unfortunate, if you ask me.

My cherry red Ibanez isn't exactly in tip-top condition, anyways. I was thinking of picking up a new guitar at some point. It was always a good release and I actually think that playing was good exercise. That might sound ridiculous, but playing metal at my leisure, or any music in a band, always made me sweat a lot (especially in stinky, crowded bars and small clubs.)

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

http://www.last.fm/user/RichieDagger

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:12 AM
Mikey Radz

I listen to alternative/indie/punk. Some of my favorite bands are Against Me!, The Gaslight Anthem, Modest Mouse, The Bouncing Souls, Bomb The Music Industry!, Brand New, Weezer, Bruce Springsteen, The Clash, Fake Problems, Ted Leo and the Pharmacists, Radiohead, The Replacements, The Arrogant Sons of *****es, Manchester Orchestra, Streetlight Manifesto, Frank Turner, Jawbreaker and there is a ton more.

Green Day was the first real band I got into when I was like 11 and I grew up with their music. I still love them and they'll probably always be one of my all time favorite bands.

Mikey Radz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:39 AM
mabisles

http://www.progarchives.com/

mabisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:57 AM
Pnut

311, blackstreet, 50 cent, Alice in chains, alterbridge, Big Wreck, Collective Soul, Cranberries, Iron Maiden, Oasis, Pearl Jam, The Traveling Wilburys, Tool, Disturbed, Foo Fighters, Gin Blossoms, old Guns N Roses, Aerosmith (Permanent Vacation and Pump albums), Billy Joel, Live, STP, Semisonic, lil Wayne, old DMB, Korn, Living Colour, Queen, Quiet Riot, Queensryche (Empire album), System of a Down, Sponge (Rotting Pinata album), U2, 2Pac, Zeppelin, Smashing Pumpkins, The Notorious BIG, 80's 1 hit wonders, etc...........

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:18 AM
swissexpert

In no specific order:
Swollen Members, Eminem, De la Soul, Dumbfounded, Atmosphere, Living Legends, Classified, Sweatshop Union, Hilltop Hoods, Snoop Dogg, Beatnuts, Dr. Dre,

swissexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:58 AM
KO21

Alice In Chains, Blind Melon, Soundgarden, STP, Pearl Jam.. ya, I'm stuck in the 90's.. like a bit of MGMT now as well..

KO21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:41 AM
Strummergas

Tons and tons of things. Right now lots of Guided By Voices, The Who, Nick Lowe, Van Morrison, Elephant 9, Bobby Fuller, Sly Stone, The Greenhornes, Curtis Mayfield, Motorhead, and Neko Case.

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:50 AM
MTK

I listen to Hardcore and Punk:

Some bands are

Pennywise, NOFX,Black Flag, Minor Threat, Sick of It All, Agnostic Front, Bouncing Souls, Hatebreed, Avail, Circle Jerks, Bad Brains, Rancid, Madball, Clash, Sex Pistols, Social D., Bad Religion (playing 3 days in October at Irving NYC)..a little shout to the local bands Last Call Brawl, Two Man Advantage, and Razorblade Handgernade

Random Band that I listen to: Phish....use to hate them until i started to go to a couple shows. Its a party but has no association with any of the music I listen too.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:01 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

It's funny that you create this thread now since I have been looking forward to today for a long ass time now. Disturbed's new album 'Asylum' comes out today. Heading over to best buy during lunch to get it.

As for some others... Mitchy... you like Nightwish? Good **** huh? I have always been a fan of metal and still am obviously but I have been really getting into symphonic metal as of late and pretty much all of them have female vocals. (It doesn't hurt that all of them are smokin' hot too ). I advise you to check out the following bands if you like Nightwish... Within Temptation, Delain and Epica. I don't know what it is but this type of music sounds so much better with female vocals.

As for Tarja... yea she sounds incredible. She did put out a single album so check that out. Not as good as Nightwish but still solid.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:20 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post
It's funny that you create this thread now since I have been looking forward to today for a long ass time now. Disturbed's new album 'Asylum' comes out today. Heading over to best buy during lunch to get it.

As for some others... Mitchy... you like Nightwish? Good **** huh? I have always been a fan of metal and still am obviously but I have been really getting into symphonic metal as of late and pretty much all of them have female vocals. (It doesn't hurt that all of them are smokin' hot too ). I advise you to check out the following bands if you like Nightwish... Within Temptation, Delain and Epica. I don't know what it is but this type of music sounds so much better with female vocals.

As for Tarja... yea she sounds incredible. She did put out a single album so check that out. Not as good as Nightwish but still solid.
I randomly bought Epica's Divine Conspiracy when it popped up on Amazon a couple years ago. Not bad. Next time I go on a "I need more metal binge," I'll keep those other bands in mind. Thanks, for the heads up Twine! I also might need to check out some other of Epica's albums.

And yes, having hot women as lead singers never hurt a band.
I'll definitely have to check out Tarja's album; I could listen to that woman all day long. I'm just sad that I found the band after she left.

Anyone actually listen to Captain Morgan's Revenge? For the lazier folks, this is only one click away: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfYq-7zAQFA

I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't at least be curious to listen to "Authentic Scottish Pirate Metal." Let it go through to the chorus, before you give up on it. If you still hate it, then I'm guessing Pirate Metal is just not for you. (I'm fairly new to it myself, so if there's a long list of better Pirate Metal Bands, then someone please share it.)

Edit - I might as well mention that there haven't been too many bands listed in this thread that I don't at least own one album from.

2nd Edit - Thanks to random looking around on Amazon, this was the part of my last metal binge:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnhdJVh9iIY
(My last order was Victory Songs by Ensiferum, Captain Morgan's Revenge by Alestorm, Battle Metal by Turisas and Wintersun, by errr....Wintersun.) Not bad stuff, considering I was randomly poking around and going off of a few previews. I like the surprise of not really knowing what I'm getting; I try not to listen to too many of the previews.)

Mitch

Last edited by mitchy22: 08-31-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM
Sideshow Bob

Have you all no respect for the classics? Don't make me sing the entire score from HMS Pinafore!

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:48 AM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
Have you all no respect for the classics? Don't make me sing the entire score from HMS Pinafore!
Youtube it, don't think...just do it.

I don't see how these, aren't classics. (If you can actually cover another song and have it be a classic...Hindsight, that really doesn't make much sense and is probably overusing the term classic. If Coke can be classic, I guess anything can. Right now you are witnessing a classic abuse of a parenthetical.)

I feel like Pink Floyd fans wouldn't mind this.

I can't imagine how someone wouldn't get at least a little bit geared up from John Two Hawk in the middle of this song.

I have to stop abusing this thread, now. You'll have to go looking for more symphonic metal on your own.

Mitch

Old
08-31-2010, 11:53 AM
RMimagery

I have an electronic music project: www.myspace.com/moonsofjupitermusic

RMimagery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:08 PM
IslesNorway

Nearly 30 years a metalhead and still counting!

Thrash metal has always been my thing, especially all the classic stuff like Sodom, Kreator, Dark Angel, Coroner and so on. I also enjoy some modern thrash, in particular stuff from South America, but I also happen to enjoy old school black metal and more modern stuff like Primordial ("To the Nameless dead" is one the best albums ever!).

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twine Seeking Missle View Post

If you like Nightwish, Epica, etc. Try After Forever as well. I think you'll like them.

Old
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Tons and tons of things. Right now lots of Guided By Voices, The Who, Nick Lowe, Van Morrison, Elephant 9, Bobby Fuller, Sly Stone, The Greenhornes, Curtis Mayfield, Motorhead, and Neko Case.
It's shaping up as the college blast from the past fall. Lou Barlow (tomorrow), Mudhoney, Belle & Sebastian, and - my personal favorite - Teenage Fanclub. I'll be going to their show on the 27th - the second concert I've been to since my daughter was born (the first was the Posies). I'm not a big fan of B & S, or outdoor concerts, so I'll skip the waterfront show. Going to any of these?

The real bummer this year was that I had tickets to see Big Star at Bell House, but had to shed them due to work travel. And then Alex Chilton friggin' dies. What a bummer.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:02 PM
Bones45

going to see STP at Jones Beach on Sat.

Blues, classic rock., 90's rock, SRV, clapton.. all good stuff.

ANY 80's music.. yes.. you read that right!

HAIR METAL, Warrant, LA Guns, Tesla, Crue, Cinderella

THATS RIGHT *****ES!!!!!

country blows but has hot women, and rap sucks.

(except for Parents Just Dont Understand, Bust a Move, I Need Love)..

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:24 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
It's shaping up as the college blast from the past fall. Lou Barlow (tomorrow), Mudhoney, Belle & Sebastian, and - my personal favorite - Teenage Fanclub. I'll be going to their show on the 27th - the second concert I've been to since my daughter was born (the first was the Posies). I'm not a big fan of B & S, or outdoor concerts, so I'll skip the waterfront show. Going to any of these?

The real bummer this year was that I had tickets to see Big Star at Bell House, but had to shed them due to work travel. And then Alex Chilton friggin' dies. What a bummer.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I was considering Teenage Fanclub and Mudhoney but I don't have tickets at the moment. I don't really like Belle & Sebastian and I've seen Lou Barlow recently so I'll be skipping those shows.

That Big Star show was unbelievable, especially in the wake of Alex Chilton dying a few months later. I almost didn't get to go! I procrastinated buying the tickets and then the show sold out. Luckily my friend had 2 extras and I was able to go with him. There was also a tribute to Alex at City Winery a few weeks ago which was great too. Yo La Tengo, Jon Spencer, Chris Stamey, Marshall Crenshaw, Ronnie Spector, Dan Kroha, Jesse Malin, members of The Box Tops (and of course) Jon Auer and Jody Stephens all performed. Others were there too but the names escape me at the moment.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
going to see STP at Jones Beach on Sat.
That'll probably be great! Have fun.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:38 PM
islandermike

Reading the post seems like alot of us are close to same age, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Smashing Pumpkins still take up residence in my car cd changer but also have found some time to listen to emo/screamo stuff like Underoath, Thursday, Devil Wears Prada and even found some liking to Taking Back Sunday

islandermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:14 PM
Augscura

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesNorway View Post
Nearly 30 years a metalhead and still counting!

Thrash metal has always been my thing, especially all the classic stuff like Sodom, Kreator, Dark Angel, Coroner and so on. I also enjoy some modern thrash, in particular stuff from South America, but I also happen to enjoy old school black metal and more modern stuff like Primordial ("To the Nameless dead" is one the best albums ever!).
I love Norwegian Black metal! Gorgoroth, Immortal, Emperor. Norway has some of the best Black Metal hands down!