HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Thoughts on Leighton...

Old
08-31-2010, 12:15 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
It was Leighton's fault alone that they lost in the finals? Funny I remember some top line forwards that couldn't sniff the net against the Hawks too. There is enough blame to go around for losing the finals.

In the world with a salary cap you have two options

1. Pay for a top tier goalie and a lesser roster or
2. Stack your roster and get by with a lesser goalie

You cannot have both.

Besides, how is Vancouver doing with top tier goalie Roberto Luongo? Buffalo with Ryan Miller? Rangers with Henrik Lundqvist? Leighton has played in more Stanley Cup finals game then all 3 of those combined.

So, for me, I'll roll the dice with the lesser goalie and the stacked roster instead of the perennial all-stars who can't take their team to the finals on their backs (let alone win the cup).
...or you can go down the middle path, give a little bit on the "stacking" and have a bit of money left over for a legit goalie.

Of course, money isn't really the issue... all the goalies went for dirt cheap this offseason. Just as they did last year.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You forgot the biggest similarity. In the biggest game of the year for both goalies, they let a crappy goal go through them from a bad angle in overtime....
...what Miller got caught doing, and what Leighton did are two entirely different things.

Old
08-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
I don't like some of the insinuation going around that the goalie's job isn't to prevent rebounds.

Believe me, it is. A goalie with good rebound control can really minimize the opponents' scoring chances and makes the game a lot easier for his defense. Less rebounds = less work for everyone.

Yes, the first save is essential, but let's not act like kicking all of your rebounds straight into the slot is okay by any means. It doesn't matter if the defense is clearing them out most of the time - it's still something Leighton absolutely has to work on improving.
Yeah, as a defenseman it's kind of infuriating when you get a guy to take a bad angle shot or whatever and the goalie proceeds to put it out into no-man's land and promptly into the back of the net.

Old
08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Wow. People are actually arguing that rebounds shouldn't be the responsibility of the goalie and comparing Michael Leighton to Ryan Miller.

Some of you guys are just flat-out ridiculous.
The fact that Leighton and Miller are in the sentences is already ridiculous.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda Popinski View Post
OK lets compare last year instead of an entire NHL career here:

Michael Leighton (27GP)
I stopped reading right there. How can you even begin to take a 27 game sample size and try to extrapolate it over an 82 game season? You will get your chance to compare statistics at the end of this season. Lets see what Leighton can do in 60 starts then compare him to Ryan Miller... Thanks!

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Send a message via AIM to The Cheat Send a message via MSN to The Cheat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
...what Miller got caught doing, and what Leighton did are two entirely different things.
Puck crossed the goal line entirely, leading to a goal. How is it different?

The Cheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:50 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
I stopped reading right there. How can you even begin to take a 27 game sample size and try to extrapolate it over an 82 game season? You will get your chance to compare statistics at the end of this season. Lets see what Leighton can do in 60 starts then compare him to Ryan Miller... Thanks!
Because my point was easier to make expanidng with that formula (to 82) than to shrink miller's to 27.

They were almost identical in ratios, assuming the same save%.

And my point was to also show potential, no matter how 'late in the career' it was.

And @ whoever pointed out my typo, I removed the GAA column but left the header instead of save%. If you couldn't figure that out then I'm not sure you really need to try.

Old
08-31-2010, 03:04 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
And @ whoever pointed out my typo, I removed the GAA column but left the header instead of save%. If you couldn't figure that out then I'm not sure you really need to try.

It was a joke, dude.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Your grammar is rediculous.
ESL.

Old
08-31-2010, 03:40 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
so now rebound control isnt important, and it's entirely the team's problem? people are really bending over backwards to make leighton seem like a real starting goalie.
I know, it's so brutal.

And btw, anybody comparing Leighton to Miller in a favorable light should just be perma-banned. No ifs, ands, buts, no what ifs...

Perma. Banned.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:43 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Miller got caught by surprise by Crosby and wasn't expecting the shot to come so soon, whereas Leighton got caught by surprise by Kane and wasn't expecting the shot so soon....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
ForsbergIsOdin

Send a message via AIM to ForsbergIsOdin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
ESL.
eat **** loser?

Only thing I could come up with.

ForsbergIsOdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Because my point was easier to make expanidng with that formula (to 82) than to shrink miller's to 27.

And my point was to also show potential, no matter how 'late in the career' it was.

ok, let's try that with Jody Shelley and Simon Gagne, using a smaller sample size..specifically, the last two games of the season.

Shelley has 2 goals in those two games. Gagne has 0.

extrapolating that over 82 games, Shelley should have an 82 goal season, and Gagne won't put anything in the net.

whoa, looks like we chose a good time to get rid of Gagne

editing and manipulating statistic sample sizes to agree with what i want to prove is fun! seriously though, how does anybody ignore the 6 or 7 years where leighton blew, and never had more than 27 games? that is a significant oversight.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I've posted this multiple times, but what the hell, I will post it one more time since it's Saturday and these stats just dominate.

Leighton played 27 games last year during the reg. season

- 20 of them were against bottom half-teams in the NHL in goals per game.

- He played 3 (that's 3) games against top-10 NHL offenses.

The first time he ever played a good offense for an extended period was the SCF Finals. I mean, Montreal and Boston were both bottom-5 teams in NHL offense.

So basically, Leighton played an absolute cupcake schedule and did pretty well. Most of us predicted that as soon as he played a good team, he would get slaughtered. I specifically remembered predicting that the SCF Finals would hinge on how much exactly Leighton would suck and lo and behold, he sucked enough to get us beaten.

There is zero rationale for making him our starter.

End of story.

I am now on a whole new level of hate for our goaltending situation.

healthyscratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
Jester

Quote:
Miller had Sidney *ing Crosby coming at him all alone and got caught between dropping to the butterfly and flashing out a poke check. If Crosby had tried to cut across Miller's face (clearly what Miller expected) then he makes the save... Crosby didn't, and he got beat. If he doesn't make that move, and Crosby does try to cut across his face, then Crosby probably scores backhand.

Mini-breakaways like that are always dangerous cuz you're not really ready for 'em.

Michael Leighton let a shot in off the *ing wall below the dot by making a completely inexplicable motion that allowed the shot to go through him, when there was no reason it ever should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Miller got caught by surprise by Crosby and wasn't expecting the shot to come so soon, whereas Leighton got caught by surprise by Kane and wasn't expecting the shot so soon....
The fact that you're comparing a shot from 5 feet away from the goalie to a shot from off the wall is a serious indictment of your intelligence.

Old
08-31-2010, 05:15 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:

My point is that extrapolated statistics are speculative at best. This is not a math equation this is hockey. Lets see how well Leighton does with a full year as starter then compare.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHot View Post
This is why we tightened the Defense, you can't expect to win when leaving your goalie out to dry like that, just ask Luongo.
Luongo let the Canucks D down not the other way around

Luongo (The Captain) has folded under pressure in back to back years and has had some truly dreadful performances vs Hawks

The only person to blame is Luongo for his sub par to horrendous play in the 2nd round of the last 2 playoffs

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:07 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:

lol. So now you're saying that Leighton has the potential of Miller? This is just too much now.

Quote:
I've posted this multiple times, but what the hell, I will post it one more time since it's Saturday and these stats just dominate.

Leighton played 27 games last year during the reg. season

- 20 of them were against bottom half-teams in the NHL in goals per game.

- He played 3 (that's 3) games against top-10 NHL offenses.

The first time he ever played a good offense for an extended period was the SCF Finals. I mean, Montreal and Boston were both bottom-5 teams in NHL offense.

So basically, Leighton played an absolute cupcake schedule and did pretty well. Most of us predicted that as soon as he played a good team, he would get slaughtered. I specifically remembered predicting that the SCF Finals would hinge on how much exactly Leighton would suck and lo and behold, he sucked enough to get us beaten.

There is zero rationale for making him our starter.

End of story.
And this, my friends, is why I have absolutely zero hope whatsoever at us winning the Cup next year until our goalie situation is fixed.

Which is why I hate this off-season. It went from an easy off-season that we should have come out as prime Cup contenders to this.

Here's to hoping Michael Leighton only faces legit offenses three times in the regular season and that he doesn't face any legit offense until the SCF in the playoffs? lol.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:18 PM
The Cheat
Habitual Linestepper

Quote:
I know, it's so brutal.

And btw, anybody comparing Leighton to Miller in a favorable light should just be perma-banned. No ifs, ands, buts, no what ifs...

Perma. Banned.
So you're a moderator now?

Old
08-31-2010, 07:59 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
So you're a moderator now?
Undercover.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsbergIsOdin View Post
eat **** loser?

Only thing I could come up with.
Yup... You got it. You always could read between the lines.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-01-2010 at 07:58 AM.