HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

8/30 - Does the sellout streak end this year?

View Poll Results: Will the sellout streak end this season?
Yes 9 34.62%
No 17 65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-30-2010, 02:43 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
8/30 - Does the sellout streak end this year?

I don't believe this has been a DDT yet and if it has, well someone else can make one up. The sellout streak has been one of the Wild's signature calling cards since their debut in 2000; however mediocrity and an apathetic fanbase have made it apparent in the State of Hockey that the streak is in danger of being broken. So today's question and discussion is three-pronged. First of all - and the subject of the poll question - will the sellout end this year? Second, if it does, what game do you see it ending on? Finally, would the franchise be better off with the sellout streak intact or not?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If the "sellout" "streak" didn't end last year, I can't imagine it ends this year. Wild will have a ticket promo to keep it going if need be. But I think the team will be better this year and have a gut feeling the Vikings won't be as strong...

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 06:37 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

I agree with Jarick. I believe last season there was more danger of the streak ending. Especially with our horrific start. Although the conspiracy theorist in me believes that the the continuation of the streak last year was helped by a corporation(Xcel maybe?) buying up unsold tickets to keep the streak alive. In the fanbase's defence I don't think it is apathy as much as it as/is with the economy the way it is people have to re-prioritize how hey spend their money.

For the record I don't think the streak will end next season either.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 06:45 PM
State of Hockey

In reality it ended last year. Only bogus measures regarding what's a "sellout" and what isn't prevented it. Tickets were basically given away last year to keep the streak going. The empty seats at the X showed too.

But this year I'll say it ends officially. I just don't see them being able to game the system much longer when a Columbus or Phoenix comes to town in March with both teams out of contention.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:34 PM
countrygentleman
John Frusciante

I think it was basically implied by Russo that last year it was "broken." He said that the Wild could take any unsold tickets and dump-em down the Mississippi and that's considered a sellout. I can't imagine he'd admit that if there wasn't a game that was a true sellout.

countrygentleman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:39 PM
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC

vCash: 403
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
In reality it ended last year. Only bogus measures regarding what's a "sellout" and what isn't prevented it. Tickets were basically given away last year to keep the streak going. The empty seats at the X showed too.
"given" really?

I thought these tickets were expensive...

anyways, if that's the end, we still have one of the biggest fans (who go to games) in USA.

Last edited by Fel 96: 08-30-2010 at 08:57 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:54 PM
melinko

vCash: 2551
The sellout streak will "officially" go on until it breaks the record even if the entire lower bowl is empty. Thats how these things go everywhere.

Last year the real streak was imo more likely to be broken than this year, we pretty much had nothing to look forward to last year and this year we have a couple things going for us that should help.

melinko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:58 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
No, because its tainted already anyways. They drop the prices astronomically before the game to sell it out. Not to mention the standing room only fill in the void for the seats still open in case they are.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:06 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

But this year I'll say it ends officially. I just don't see them being able to game the system much longer when a Columbus or Phoenix comes to town in March with both teams out of contention.
It's been broken like that for a long time though. I went to some crappy games the year after the lockout where there were tons of empty seats throughout the game.

Old
08-30-2010, 09:19 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's been broken like that for a long time though. I went to some crappy games the year after the lockout where there were tons of empty seats throughout the game.
Thank three loopholes in the system, and Detroit does this as well:

1) STH tickets still can "count" even if they are not there because they sold the tickets already

2) They can drop the tickets to under face value and then push them out that way. They've done it before and you'll see it pretty relevant around Eagle Creek when the game has already started

3) Standing Room Only seats can count as well. Technically to sell out an arena, stadium, field you only need to sell out the seats, not the seats and the standing room

Old
08-30-2010, 10:46 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
No, because its tainted already anyways. They drop the prices astronomically before the game to sell it out. Not to mention the standing room only fill in the void for the seats still open in case they are.
To be honest, I don't see why standing room and rush tickets shouldn't count toward the total. I mean, the Wild are way above national average ticket prices; the prices of these "discount" tickets are still $45+ ($30 for students, but that's a different story). Even if people buy tickets and don't use them, it doesn't bother me if that's called a sellout. There was still enough demand for tickets to sell the house's worth of tickets. It's the "distributed" vs. sold thing that bothers me.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:17 AM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
Quote:

I agree. Please let it end Wild. Anyone who's been to one of those games last year when you can easily see all those empty seats knows better.

As I season ticket holder, I'm a little worried about selling the extras that I have on occasion. In the years past this was never a problem.

It's time for the Wild to start marketing again. Maybe the fans need some more giveaways and quality between period entertainment. I'm tired of watching the Wells Fargo "fan-shoot-at-the-empty-net" game.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:16 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
It's time for the Wild to start marketing again. Maybe the fans need some more giveaways and quality between period entertainment. I'm tired of watching the Wells Fargo "fan-shoot-at-the-empty-net" game.
After seeing a couple Blackhawks/Wild games at the United Center, I have to say that the in-arena production is just not impressive at the X. Video, audio, advertisements, promotions, contests, intermission programs, etc. at the UC are very entertaining. It's never a boring time once you step into the arena. I'd describe our production as more utilitarian than fun. I wish it had more life to it. It certainly wouldn't hurt attendance.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:41 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
After seeing a couple Blackhawks/Wild games at the United Center, I have to say that the in-arena production is just not impressive at the X. Video, audio, advertisements, promotions, contests, intermission programs, etc. at the UC are very entertaining. It's never a boring time once you step into the arena. I'd describe our production as more utilitarian than fun. I wish it had more life to it. It certainly wouldn't hurt attendance.
So why do you follow the Wild?

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:25 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

I'm just surprised lower ticket prices haven't been suggested. The $26 ends tickets aren't too steep (though they're still pretty high for a "budget" option). But they also sell out really, really quickly. Anyone notice that every promotion they're doing is trying to sell the same seats? Lower level, single-attack end and corners. The State Fair pack, 10- and 20-game packs, and student tickets are all only available in those sections. (Edit: Some include club level, too.) This suggests to me that the tickets that are really in-demand are the upper deck, and that they can't burn through lower bowl fast enough. This is backwards to how it's supposed to work. Adding more seats to the "affordable" price blocks would do a whole lot to keep the sellout streak going (and going legitimately).

Anecdotally, I totally would have gone for a 10-game pack if I could get one for, say, $200-300, rather than the current minimum $800.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:32 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
So why do you follow the Wild?
Meh. I was at Game 1 and Game 2 of the SCF's this year and I was by far impressed with their entire pregame show. Nevermind the fans applauding the entire time through the National Anthem or 22k (4+ more than us) screaming at CFB rivaled decibel levels. Look up their introduction of the players. It takes them from sitting inside the UC and then skating throughout Chicago and then introduces the player with a really great annoucer voice (not who the Wild have now that sounds like someone I could knock out and he'd thank me for it). They have the entire arena in Red and their "State of Hockey" thing is bar none better than ours, I'm sorry. Then again, they are showing the history of the Blackhawks. Why we couldn't incorporate that with our own history of the game for the state is beyond me?

They also do the "wells Fargo fan shoot at the empty net from center ice" gig but they do it hilariously. Hot Chick. Cool looking teenager. and complete tool/****** compete for it.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:37 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
I'm just surprised lower ticket prices haven't been suggested. The $26 ends tickets aren't too steep (though they're still pretty high for a "budget" option). But they also sell out really, really quickly. Anyone notice that every promotion they're doing is trying to sell the same seats? Lower level, single-attack end and corners. The State Fair pack, 10- and 20-game packs, and student tickets are all only available in those sections. (Edit: Some include club level, too.) This suggests to me that the tickets that are really in-demand are the upper deck, and that they can't burn through lower bowl fast enough. This is backwards to how it's supposed to work. Adding more seats to the "affordable" price blocks would do a whole lot to keep the sellout streak going (and going legitimately).

Anecdotally, I totally would have gone for a 10-game pack if I could get one for, say, $200-300, rather than the current minimum $800.
There in lies the issue as to why I didn't renew my season tickest. They upped the price by $10/seat per game. 41x77x2 isn't exactly cheap and the economy isn't the greatest in this state either. When they asked why I wouldn't renew I told them flat out that I wouldn't renew unless they could give me a valid effing reason why there was another price hike when the team hasn't gone to the playoffs in 2 years, won the division in 4 years, nor made it out of the 2nd round of the playoffs in 7 years. She couldn't answer.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
I'm tired of watching the Wells Fargo "fan-shoot-at-the-empty-net" game.
I want to play that game. Last game I went to, a guy two seats over got picked and proceeded to miss all of them. I would have gotten a couple grand I think.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last year when I went it was $40 per ticket, took the girlfriend, she works until 6:30 right down the street so we ate at the X and each had a couple beers, had to pay for parking, I think it was $175.

Maybe if it were only $15-20 to get in I'd go again, but at those prices, I'd rather buy groceries for two weeks.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:47 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Meh. I was at Game 1 and Game 2 of the SCF's this year and I was by far impressed with their entire pregame show.
That's not really a fair comparison. Everyone turns their presentation WAY up for the playoffs, and even more for the Finals. I know there aren't many examples of it, because that would involve the Wild making the playoffs more than thrice, but there are some videos floating around of intros at The X in the '07 and '08 playoffs that are pretty flashy and impressive. Though to be honest, I've always thought the Wild had pretty great presentation, even in the regular season. Maybe not really flashy, but well-put together with good design principles.

And I've always thought Adam Abrams does a great job with the announcements, though I heard him many times at the Dome before I could really get to a Wild game (question of affordability) so maybe my experience was a bit biased by that.

Really, I don't think the presentation needs much improvement, and I certainly don't think it's the reason they're having trouble selling tickets.

Old
08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Meh. I was at Game 1 and Game 2 of the SCF's this year and I was by far impressed with their entire pregame show. Nevermind the fans applauding the entire time through the National Anthem or 22k (4+ more than us) screaming at CFB rivaled decibel levels. Look up their introduction of the players. It takes them from sitting inside the UC and then skating throughout Chicago and then introduces the player with a really great annoucer voice (not who the Wild have now that sounds like someone I could knock out and he'd thank me for it). They have the entire arena in Red and their "State of Hockey" thing is bar none better than ours, I'm sorry. Then again, they are showing the history of the Blackhawks. Why we couldn't incorporate that with our own history of the game for the state is beyond me?

They also do the "wells Fargo fan shoot at the empty net from center ice" gig but they do it hilariously. Hot Chick. Cool looking teenager. and complete tool/****** compete for it.
My question isn't about the Wild...

It's about the fan... the one who does nothing but complain about everything about the team...

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:58 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I agree. Please let it end Wild. Anyone who's been to one of those games last year when you can easily see all those empty seats knows better.

As I season ticket holder, I'm a little worried about selling the extras that I have on occasion. In the years past this was never a problem.

More Little Chippers!

Old
08-31-2010, 06:27 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

empty seats =/= unsold tickets necessarily. i know the company i worked for a few years ago had some lower bowl tickets that went unused most of the season (if there were no clients in town that were interested in hockey) for a couple years in a row before i found out they had them. some of the empty seats were from STH's who were sick of it and couldn't re-sell their tickets--I expect that some of these STHs will switch to 10 or 20 game packages and the other 20-30ish games that they bought in previous years but couldn't unload will have to be labeled "unsold" this year.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 06:38 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

woot woot for the UC. lets see that sucker stay full after a couple years of missing the playoffs. probably wouldn't take that long. i'm sure the presentations will be a hell of a lot less exciting if they're playing to a half-filled arena.

I'm happy for the Hawks, but let's not pretend that city is full of die hard hockey fans or that the atmosphere in there is not wholly dependent on a high level of success on the ice.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:24 PM
J22

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
More Little Chippers!
My son got to skate between periods of the Blackhawks game late last year. It was an awesome experience and he still talks about it quite often.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote