HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Best way to better stick handling

Old
08-31-2010, 01:22 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Practice, then practice some more because stick handling is arguably the most important hockey skill. You can completely control a game with great stick handling, even if you're a below average skater, terrible shooter and poor defender. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that you ignore all those areas because you should strive to be a balanced player, but it's something to keep in mind.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:33 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by donGjohnson View Post
Practice, then practice some more because stick handling is arguably the most important hockey skill. You can completely control a game with great stick handling, even if you're a below average skater, terrible shooter and poor defender. Obviously, I'm not suggesting that you ignore all those areas because you should strive to be a balanced player, but it's something to keep in mind.
I'm with you there, I want to play as balanced as i can. I don't care to be great at anything beside poke checks and good positioning I'mok at being average I just don't want to suck at anything. I want to play a defensive game whether that be as a defensmen or center.

Blueland89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:26 PM
The Spicy Shrimp

Wax and carrying the puck closer to the heel worked wonders for me.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Awesome, sounds like a quick fix!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Awesome, sounds like a quick fix!
yeah atleast ofr know when i start playing i will have to mature for sure, but i really don't care to have the puck on my stick alot give and go thats the way i wanna play

Old
08-31-2010, 03:46 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueland89 View Post
yeah atleast ofr know when i start playing i will have to mature for sure, but i really don't care to have the puck on my stick alot give and go thats the way i wanna play
That's how you'll feel at first. But then your confidence will grow and you'll feel like the puck belongs on your stick because you know the biscuit belongs to you! Pardon the hyperbole, but that's sort of the the way it works. If you work really hard at it, you'll end up being more comfortable with the puck than without it.

Old
08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Blueland89

Quote:
That's how you'll feel at first. But then your confidence will grow and you'll feel like the puck belongs on your stick because you know the biscuit belongs to you! Pardon the hyperbole, but that's sort of the the way it works. If you work really hard at it, you'll end up being more comfortable with the puck than without it.
Your probabley right as of right now like said before i just want to be defensively responsible

Old
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Lario Melieux*

Quote:
I'm going to have to strongly, STRONGLY disagree with the bolded part. IMO, skating is easily the most important skill in hockey, and it's not that close.

Lario Melieux* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lario Melieux View Post
I'm going to have to strongly, STRONGLY disagree with the bolded part. IMO, skating is easily the most important skill in hockey, and it's not that close.
Seconded. You can't skate, you can't play.

When you really break it down, most games a player has the puck on his stick for about a minute.

HFNHL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:16 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Constant practice dribbling the puck.

Worked for me.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:18 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish View Post
Seconded. You can't skate, you can't play.

When you really break it down, most games a player has the puck on his stick for about a minute.
I'll be the third. I agree 110%, especially the bolded.

Skating opens up the ability to perform other aspects of the game. Skating should always be the first, and only priority, when learning how to play

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:49 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Geez guys, learn not to take every single word literally. Obviously, you have to be able to skate to play hockey, as hockey requires skates. But if you're an average skater, approximately, at your level and need to decide what's the best thing to invest your time on, stick handling is often the quickest way to get yourself on a team, can be practiced off ice, etc. You can really use it to dominate a game while you round out as a player.

Old
09-01-2010, 07:52 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yep, hard to practice skating in the middle of the summer if you don't have an ice rink.

Practice stickhandling and shooting and get your conditioning better in the summer. It's free to stickhandle a ball or put some shoes on and go for a run, no excuses.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:56 AM
Blueland89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yep, hard to practice skating in the middle of the summer if you don't have an ice rink.

Practice stickhandling and shooting and get your conditioning better in the summer. It's free to stickhandle a ball or put some shoes on and go for a run, no excuses.
not a problem for me i play inline

Old
09-01-2010, 09:12 AM
HFNHL Commish

Send a message via AIM to HFNHL Commish
I'll clarify...

Obviously, all areas of a player's game need work. As a guy who has coached younger and older kids, I just always like to make it clear that skating comes first. This is because I know that, once I drop the pucks at practice, everyone's immediately going to grab a puck and start trying to do "the Michigan". ;-)

HFNHL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:40 PM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFNHL Commish View Post
I'll clarify...

Obviously, all areas of a player's game need work. As a guy who has coached younger and older kids, I just always like to make it clear that skating comes first. This is because I know that, once I drop the pucks at practice, everyone's immediately going to grab a puck and start trying to do "the Michigan". ;-)
I hate that stupid garbage. Let me clarify a little bit. What I'm really talking about isn't necessarily fancy moves. It's being able to do really efficient crossovers with the puck without looking at it, using toe drags only as necessary, learning how to stick handle between two defenders etc. The biggest problem is people want to do "cool moves" before they can even stick handle with their heads up- this of course is a HUGE problem. Personally, I rarely make moves, preferring to drive wide around people or through their feet, when possible

Last edited by BadHammy*: 09-01-2010 at 04:00 PM.