HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings sign Willie Mitchell (2 years, 3.5m per)

Old
08-27-2010, 05:22 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukyo View Post
You may not need to be well-liked, but you need to be respected.

Burke may be a hard-*ss, but he put Bryzgalov on waivers so that he could have a career as a starter. That sort of move, in which he's keeping a promise to a player that he'll make sure he has a shot somewhere if not within this organization, is something players will remember and respect.

I don't see Lombardi ever doing right by any player if there isn't some tangible strategic gain.
He traded Craig Conroy to Calgary, where he wanted to be. He gave Avery a second chance after the previous management team kicked him off the team, and he dealt him to a city that Avery wanted to play in. He moved LaBarbera to his hometown. Sent Demitra to play with his countrymate Gaborik in Minnesota.

Gave Quincey the chance to prove he's an NHL dman, now he's earning over $3M per year. He gave Randy Jones an opportunity to play after Philly had relinquished him to the minors. He's also given players recovering from injuries opportunities and paid fair market value for their services (see Handzus and just recently, Mitchell).

What does Lombardi have to do? Kiss a player's behind?

Last edited by Ziggy Stardust: 08-27-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 05:28 PM
KingNothing4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He can always pay someone to take their number. I wouldn't be surprised to see Greene, Johnson or Harrold give up their numbers. Maybe Jack gets his 78 now?
True, and I heard he didn't want to take numero 1 out of respect for Storr . Maybe Number 5, who cares what Harrold wants.

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Johnny Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
He traded Craig Conroy to Calgary, where he wanted to be. He gave Avery a second chance after the previous management team kicked him off the team, and he dealt him to a city that Avery wanted to play in. He moved LaBarbera to his hometown. Sent Demitra to play with his countrymate Gaborik in Minnesota.

Gave Quincey the chance to prove he's an NHL dman, now he's earning over $3M per year. He gave Randy Jones an opportunity to play after Philly had relinquished him to the minors.

What does Lombardi have to do? Kiss players' *****?
Don't forget he rescued Gauthier from the AHL as well...so he took Jones and Gauthier out of the AHL and made them NHL'ers again.

Avery was very happy about going to NY as was Conroy about Calgary. He also moved Stuart to the Wings, Matthew Barry says Stuart was mad about it, but he won the cup and re-signed there so must not be too bad.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:07 PM
ukyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Gave Quincey the chance to prove he's an NHL dman, now he's earning over $3M per year. He gave Randy Jones an opportunity to play after Philly had relinquished him to the minors.

What does Lombardi have to do? Kiss players' *****?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Don't forget he rescued Gauthier from the AHL as well...so he took Jones and Gauthier out of the AHL and made them NHL'ers again.

Avery was very happy about going to NY as was Conroy about Calgary. He also moved Stuart to the Wings, Matthew Barry says Stuart was mad about it, but he won the cup and re-signed there so must not be too bad.
But none of those were cases in which a GM "did right by" a player. It just happened that in those cases the players involved ended up in good situations as a byproduct of Lombardi getting something he wanted. Burke had nothing to gain from putting Bryzgalov on waivers. In fact, the Ducks would probably have been better off hanging onto him.

In any case, there have been multiple reported cases in which Lombardi was player-un-friendly, even moreso than with other GMs (Visnovsky, Cloutier, Frolov). I understand it's a business, but in those cases, it wouldn't have required much more than a phone conversation or two for professional courtesy's sake.

ukyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 08:52 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I don't disagree, but being likable and having good people skills can go a long way. Everyone wants to be comfortable with their boss.

If Lou and Dean were both car salesman at the same dealership, who do you think would sale more cars?
Lou, of course, because the car would have to be the right fit at the right time.

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Lou, of course, because the car would have to be the right fit at the right time.
Lou would tell you not to worry about his sales numbers and that everything is status quo, then pay someone to get rid of his used cars.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
But none of those were cases in which a GM "did right by" a player. It just happened that in those cases the players involved ended up in good situations as a byproduct of Lombardi getting something he wanted. Burke had nothing to gain from putting Bryzgalov on waivers. In fact, the Ducks would probably have been better off hanging onto him.

In any case, there have been multiple reported cases in which Lombardi was player-un-friendly, even moreso than with other GMs (Visnovsky, Cloutier, Frolov). I understand it's a business, but in those cases, it wouldn't have required much more than a phone conversation or two for professional courtesy's sake.
You lost all credibility including Cloutier and Frolov in your argument. The players are just as if not more responsible for ending up where they are. But I get it, it's easier to blame the GM.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 01:03 AM
ukyo

Quote:
You lost all credibility including Cloutier and Frolov in your argument. The players are just as if not more responsible for ending up where they are. But I get it, it's easier to blame the GM.
Uhh..... ok.

I'm not blaming Lombardi for either of those cases. I'm just saying that based on those reports and others, I think there is something to the theory that he has a bad reputation with players around the league.

Old
08-28-2010, 02:29 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Why do people make such a big deal about Willie's injury history?

I looked at his career numbers and he's played at least 68 games 6 of the last 8 years.

I know concussions are a big deal, but it's not like we're talking about Williams. Or a guy who just finds someway to get hurt.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 03:17 AM
alpa
Yoda+Gandalf=Sutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
AKA: Kovachoo likes evil.
..and LOVES money.

alpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Stupid Sexy Flanders

Any word on whether WM has a NTC?

Stupid Sexy Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 09:21 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupid Sexy Flanders View Post
Any word on whether WM has a NTC?
http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=17

No NTC/NMC thankfully.

BigBrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 10:02 AM
jfont

Awards:
Kings D will be much better this year than last with another season under the belts of JJ and DD. It would be interesting to see how this D would stack up against the likes of thornton, heatley, marleau, getzlaf, perry, doan, morrow and richards. Can't wait for the season to start.

08-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont View Post
Kings D will be much better this year than last with another season under the belts of JJ and DD. It would be interesting to see how this D would stack up against the likes of thornton, heatley, marleau, getzlaf, perry, doan, morrow and richards. Can't wait for the season to start.
The Kings could have the best shutdown group in the NHL:

Poni (6'4") - Handzus (6'4") - Simmonds (6'1")
Mitchell (6'3") - Greene (6'3")

Murray will have some good options late in the games this year with Scuderi, Mitchell and Greene.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 11:39 AM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If your listing Poniboy as having anything to do with shutting down the opposition for more than half a shift at a time then we will be in trouble imo. He isn't a terrible defender but he is far from good.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Uhh..... ok.

I'm not blaming Lombardi for either of those cases. I'm just saying that based on those reports and others, I think there is something to the theory that he has a bad reputation with players around the league.
What report, the one where Frolov's agent said the Kings ruined his season? Or the Cloutier issue where HE decided to get surgery on a busy weekend and the Kings had to scramble to get all of his stuff taken care of?

Old
08-28-2010, 12:58 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
If your listing Poniboy as having anything to do with shutting down the opposition for more than half a shift at a time then we will be in trouble imo. He isn't a terrible defender but he is far from good.
I'm not saying that he is a selke candidate, but he's better suited to the 3rd line style than Frolov. He's big enough to move people when needed.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2010, 02:12 PM
ukyo

Quote:
What report, the one where Frolov's agent said the Kings ruined his season? Or the Cloutier issue where HE decided to get surgery on a busy weekend and the Kings had to scramble to get all of his stuff taken care of?
No, I'm talking about the report that Frolov said there weren't even discussions, and not the last minute decision by Cloutier to get surgery but the lead-up to that. Those and the Visnovsky one, which is the really bad one. I recall there being some other cases as well (and some from his time in San Jose) but can't remember all of them.

Bottom line is that these are things that make me go Hmm. If you don't take them as relevant data points in whether or not Lombardi has a bad rep with players, that's fine. I'm sorry that you think "I've lost all credibility" just because I do.

I don't dislike Lombardi at all. I actually think he's done a pretty good job thus far and even gave him a passing grade in the other thread. I just think that how he is viewed by players has in the past been and continues to be something that he could stand to improve upon.

Old
08-28-2010, 02:24 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
No, I'm talking about the report that Frolov said there weren't even discussions, and not the last minute decision by Cloutier to get surgery but the lead-up to that. Those and the Visnovsky one, which is the really bad one. I recall there being some other cases as well (and some from his time in San Jose) but can't remember all of them.

Bottom line is that these are things that make me go Hmm. If you don't take them as relevant data points in whether or not Lombardi has a bad rep with players, that's fine. I'm sorry that you think "I've lost all credibility" just because I do.

I don't dislike Lombardi at all. I actually think he's done a pretty good job thus far and even gave him a passing grade in the other thread. I just think that how he is viewed by players has in the past been and continues to be something that he could stand to improve upon.
The Cloutier deal is all on him. He said he could play so the Kings played him, then he tried to turn it around and say that the Kings forced him to play. Then opting to get surgery on what I think was a holiday weekend in Vail, Colorado? And then getting mad at the Kings for putting him up in a Super 8 or whatever it was. The Kings weren't going to re-sign Frolov and they were hot after Kovalchuk so they didn't talk to him. It was in the cards from the beginning of the season because of some outside issues, and he should've known that. The Lubo situation could've been handled better, i.e. traded sooner, but he was told there was a possibility of him being dealt before the NTC kicked in. The SJ cases don't apply, the guys who held out for more money did so because management was being cheap.

Old
08-28-2010, 05:16 PM
ukyo

Quote:
The Cloutier deal is all on him. He said he could play so the Kings played him, then he tried to turn it around and say that the Kings forced him to play. Then opting to get surgery on what I think was a holiday weekend in Vail, Colorado? And then getting mad at the Kings for putting him up in a Super 8 or whatever it was. The Kings weren't going to re-sign Frolov and they were hot after Kovalchuk so they didn't talk to him. It was in the cards from the beginning of the season because of some outside issues, and he should've known that. The Lubo situation could've been handled better, i.e. traded sooner, but he was told there was a possibility of him being dealt before the NTC kicked in. The SJ cases don't apply, the guys who held out for more money did so because management was being cheap.
Well, like I said, some people will choose to read into those reports a certain way and others will not. I think when it comes to simple professional courtesy, if the other party is unhappy to the point of talking about it in the press for ANY reason, regardless of who is at fault, there was something you could have done better.

Old
08-31-2010, 01:16 PM
Chazz Reinhold

But I thought Dean was a huge d-bag...

Quote:
So everyone is recruiting you, so to speak, and trying to put a good spin on their organization. But sometimes you just get that feeling, that they’re genuine and that they really think you can help their hockey club out a lot, and that they like the things that you can do as a player. I really got that feeling from Dean and the coaching staff. I felt that they respected my game.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 01:29 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
But I thought Dean was a huge d-bag...
Quote:
So everyone is recruiting you, so to speak, and trying to put a good spin on their organization. But sometimes you just get that feeling, that they’re genuine and that they really think you can help their hockey club out a lot, and that they like the things that you can do as a player. I really got that feeling from Dean and the coaching staff. I felt that they respected my game.
signed,

Michael Cammalleri!

:

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:05 PM
Reign Nateo

My thoughts on Mitchell...

He's a quality defenceman. One of the better stick-checkers and postitional guys I have seen. He's loved by his teammates and is a "connections" guy. He knows everyone. He's a true ambassador for his team and the sport. He doesn't throw as many big hits as people think, but he's pretty physical. He's not an overly aggressive guy. Nothing like Scuderi or Greene, but he finishes his checks. Be interesting to see if he is comfortable playing that type of game right away. That was a major head injury he suffered. Next one could kill him. That will always be in the back of his head, I wonder if he'll start to make the safe plays rather than go for the hits. But again, that's not really a huge part of his game. He can play big minutes in all situations which is huge. He'll likely be on the top PK unit. His breakout passes are average, and his shot is pretty weak but it does seem to find a way to get through a crowd. But you don't want him handling the puck or taking point shots too much. I wish someone could convince him to use a regular stick, but it's modified into more of a club. He's an intelligent, veteran player that has a good repore with the NHL officials. He could really help out a young Kings team.

On the surface he looks like a great partenar for Doughty, but may be better suited to reel Jack Johnson in. He played both sides in Vancouver, mostly LD though. Either way it was a good move for the Kings, risky, but a chance they were smart to take. Kings youngsters will learn a lot from him. He brings the same kind of presence as Ryan Smyth.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 02:54 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
signed,

Michael Cammalleri!

:

Heh, Cammalleri knew Lombardi had problems with his game from Day 1. I'm glad you could turn this into another thread about 'Lil Mikey though.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Johnny Utah

"Like I said, you just get that feeling where you really think that you can be a big piece of their team, and that’s where you want to be as a player." - Willie Mitchell from Hammonds' latest interview

This is the only way I ever believed he would come here besides the 2 year deal is that he would see he wouldn't be riding back seat to Hamhuis, Ballard, Bieska, O'Brien, Edler, Ehrhoff or Murray, Boyle, Vlasic, Wallin...he saw the hole next to Doughty, Johnson and Scuderi.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote