HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Luongo remain captain?

Old
08-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Sayonara77
Farewell Kes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Maouth View Post
Kesler's very passionate and I like that. Sure it gets him into trouble at times but I'd rather have that over a dispassionate player any day.
True, true. A team full of kesler's would probably win us a cup. I think if he was somehow handed the captaincy, I think he would surprise people with how mature, responsible he can be. He would also probably be more involved on/off the ice as well in talking to the players, giving advice to the youngsters, etc.

To be honest I wouldn't be upset with the captain rotation feature, Henrik Sedin or Kesler being captain.

Sayonara77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:49 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayonara77 View Post
True, true. A team full of kesler's would probably win us a cup. I think if he was somehow handed the captaincy, I think he would surprise people with how mature, responsible he can be. He would also probably be more involved on/off the ice as well in talking to the players, giving advice to the youngsters, etc.
He's got my vote as it stands. However, if Mitchell was still with the team and weren't having injury issues, I might prefer him. I'd be open for having my mind changed though; age, etc.

The rotating thing I dunno, maybe. I just like having a clear-cut leader.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:53 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by rye&ginger View Post
I hear that.

My impression is that Kesler became much more mature after his daughter was born. Such things change people a lot.

Henrik will provide the same sort of leadership that Naslund did, IMO. Kesler has a streak of Gordie Howe in him. We havent had a leader like that since Smyl I guess.

There is no clear choice.
Unless I'm mistaken one of the reasons singled out for why Henrik got a letter was that he had become an outspoken leader in the dressing room. I think he'd be a good captain given his dedication to improving his game, his hard work each shift of each game, the respect he has now garnered throughout the league and because it appears as though he is the guy standing up in the dressing room taking people to task.

Kesler needs more maturity in the way he conducts himself. He needs to rein the passion in a bit.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2010, 08:56 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 3498
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Unless I'm mistaken one of the reasons singled out for why Henrik got a letter was that he had become an outspoken leader in the dressing room.
Did that not just come from Daniel? Didn't he say that Henrik talks more in the dressing room? I got the impression that was just his way of defusing a reporters question about whether he was jealous or not. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Kesler needs more maturity in the way he conducts himself. He needs to rein the passion in a bit.
Not the passion. Perhaps just his choice of words at times like Sayonarra has pointed out.

Chairman Maouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 02:13 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

Latest article from Tony G on Luongo's Captaincy...

Putting the 'C' in farce - Changing captaincy complication best avoided

Quote:
Luongo was named captain here two years ago because he was the leader of the team both on the ice and in the dressing room. At least that's what we were told. And to be fair, that reflected the consensus of the city and the team at the time.

Are we now to believe that is no longer so? And if he's no longer the leader, what happened, when did it happen and why? Not to be nosy here, but we might also ask, why is a $64-million US contract about to kick in, which is set to pay this guy $10 million this season-- a cool $4 schmil more than Henrik, we might add -- if his leadership skills have slipped.

And here's the real worrisome part. Would the team not be just giving Luongo another out? At the end of the season that perhaps hasn't gone as well as hoped, can you not hear -- "Well it affected my confidence when I was pressured to give up the captaincy."
Not sure where Tony G is going with this. Seems like he is trying to stir the pot.

Is this really a valid concern?

HamhuisHip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:18 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundskeeperWillie View Post
Latest article from Tony G on Luongo's Captaincy...

Putting the 'C' in farce - Changing captaincy complication best avoided

Not sure where Tony G is going with this. Seems like he is trying to stir the pot.

Is this really a valid concern?
Of course he is stirring the pot. The Good Gollum can only be in the sunlight for so long.

Time for Gallagher to return to his roots.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 03:48 PM
HamhuisHip
LeggsOverMyHamhuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Of course he is stirring the pot. The Good Gollum can only be in the sunlight for so long.

Time for Gallagher to return to his roots.

HamhuisHip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 04:26 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
I would like Lou to focus on his goalie role, no matter if he was/is good as a captain. Henrik would be ok instead, he got the qualities.

But I like the dark horse Samuelsson, not only would he be a hell raiser in media ad perhaps do some good morale boost for the team, I don't think he would be affected in a negative way one single percent by being captain.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote