HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
07-12-2010, 02:51 PM
Levitate

vCash: 500
I don't think Volchenkov is the best defensive defenseman in the league...he throws big hits and blocks shots but I'm not prepared to call him actually the best defensive defenseman around. For one, I think Chara is better

Old
07-12-2010, 02:52 PM
TrojanRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
Oh God, don't even say that. Smith would probably get a big kick out of that though.

I could just see Sathers response. Sitting, scratching his head, wondering when the hell he gave a guy named Joe Sakic a huge contract offer.

"Sakic... Sakic... I know that name. Is he that Czech fellow I gave 9 million dollars to a few years back?"

Literally LOL'd! Well done my friend.

Old
07-12-2010, 02:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I don't think Volchenkov is the best defensive defenseman in the league...he throws big hits and blocks shots but I'm not prepared to call him actually the best defensive defenseman around. For one, I think Chara is better
Look, you can say arguably I suppose, but he's in the mix for that spot. I'd take Chara over him anyday, but I think his positioning is better than Chara's. Chara's got the physical advantage of course.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:02 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
I would be fine with 6 years @ 4.5 for Staal. Too much for this season and next, but it'll average out over time.
given how Girardi's contract was structured, it will probably something like $3M, $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M - 5 years $21M = cap of $4.2M - not sure how many non-UFA years he has left so maybe it's more like $3M, $3.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M, $4.5M - 5 years $20M = cap of $4M

Old
07-12-2010, 03:15 PM
GAGLine

With Chicago deciding to match the offer sheet to Hjalmarsson, what are the chances that SJ targets Staal now?

Old
07-12-2010, 03:19 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
With Chicago deciding to match the offer sheet to Hjalmarsson, what are the chances that SJ targets Staal now?
thats a good question. Sather has said they would match. Im wondering how high the Sharks would go though. Remember - Staal has to sign it first, which I dont think he will.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
thats a good question. Sather has said they would match. Im wondering how high the Sharks would go though. Remember - Staal has to sign it first, which I dont think he will.

If Staal gets an offer sheet of 4.5 or higher you can bet your life he will sign.

Old
07-12-2010, 03:49 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i dont think Volchenkov is the best defensive defenseman in the league. top 10 for sure...probably top 5. but not the best.

Old
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If Staal gets an offer sheet of 4.5 or higher you can bet your life he will sign.
Why, don't you think he'll get at least 4.5 from NY?

Old
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Gilligans Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
What would it take to trade for Staal instead? Sharks only offer sheeted Hammer b/c of the Hawks' uber tight cap situation. Rangers aren't in that same boat.

I imagine something centered around Setoguchi + but I really don't know what the Rangers need and if they'd even be willing to trade Staal. Can't hurt to ask.

Old
07-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Well, we'd match 4.5, but he'd sign the offer sheet to be assured of at least that salary. I think if we get into the realm of 5 mil, its a more debatable point.

Old
07-13-2010, 06:54 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilligans Island View Post
What would it take to trade for Staal instead? Sharks only offer sheeted Hammer b/c of the Hawks' uber tight cap situation. Rangers aren't in that same boat.

I imagine something centered around Setoguchi + but I really don't know what the Rangers need and if they'd even be willing to trade Staal. Can't hurt to ask.
Our first priority would be to keep him. The only way he'd be traded would be if he priced himself out of NY like Kessel. Not sure what kind of return though.

Old
07-13-2010, 07:22 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

The return for Staal would be exponentially higher then anything Sharks fans would part with.

They think Setoguchi and a 2nd is enough for our 23 year old franchise #1 shut-down defenseman.

And then they hand out infractions when you try to spell out reality to them.

Old
07-13-2010, 07:54 AM
pwoz

We have 21 players signed (13F, 6D, 2G) and 4.4m in cap space.. that includes Brash's hit and Staal as RFA... if Slats somehow dumps Brash then they'll be just enough space for Staal (unless Gilroy gets sent to minors).

Old
07-13-2010, 09:01 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
The return for Staal would be exponentially higher then anything Sharks fans would part with.

They think Setoguchi and a 2nd is enough for our 23 year old franchise #1 shut-down defenseman.

And then they hand out infractions when you try to spell out reality to them.
Even if you throw Logan Couture in the mix, who is another young promising Center which the Rangers could use heading into the future, I still don't touch the deal.

As far as Setoguchi goes. He's not a play maker. He's more of a scorer. He thus far proved he can net 30 goals. Besides playing fairly well for a 23yr old kid in last season's Sharks playoff run (5g, 9pts, 15gp), he hasn't accomplished much more than Prucha has during his first few years in NY.
So think of it this way. Prucha + a second round pick in 2011 which, is projected to be a pretty weak draft depth wise, for a player who has already proved he can guard against the league's best offensive players.
San Jose fans have to be literally joking. Maybe they look at the offensive stats. But Staal is improving in that area every year. It might not be major. But the fact remains, that he's progressing.
He can shoot the puck, and has a hell of a wrist shot. He's the only Rangers "D" man who I've seen go coast to coast to score a goal the past few years.

There was a goal he scored at Toronto on 10/17/09 which to me, was as impressive as any other Rangers goal scored last season. He looked like a power forward who's blood stream was full of Red Bull. Luke Schenn and his defensive partner (mostly) couldn't stop him.

These are only isolated incidents, but you can see he's got the talent to go along with his physical attributes. The problem is right now, the Rangers need him desperately in that shut down role.

Not only because our divisional rivals have younger players who are not exactly nearing retirement (Parise, Zajac, Richards, VRD, Carter, Crosby, Malkin, Tavares, Nino,...etc...etc.) Staal's all around game will improve once DZ, and Gilroy can play some consistent defense, and the Rangers see what kids like McDonagh, Sauer, Valentenko, Pashnin, (and I suppose to a lesser extent) Maggio, Kundratek, and Klassen can do.

Thank you SJ fans, but Setoguchi does not cut it in the least. And to throw in a 2nd rounder in the 11' draft, actually makes the deal look more of like a padded mess (may as well also throw in your 2012 6th rd pick!!!). At least if you guys would have offered Couture in that package maybe it wouldn't look like the biggest heist since Lufthansa.

Old
07-14-2010, 03:21 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If that's what S.J. or Anaheim offers, Slats will match (Well the Ducks have their own issues with Ryan when he turned down 25 mil over 5 yrs). The Sharks are going to finish real well, and the picks could turn out to be of little value. Knowing the Rangers luck, they will be. Slats moved up in the draft to get this kid. And this is the one instance where the Rangers actually didn't screw up and miss out on a good pick in the first round. To just think we could have had Parise and Staal.

But really, If Sather offers > 4mil/6yrs, to me that's more than fair. Especially at this point in his career. He'll have plenty more hockey left at 29 yrs old.

(i figured why not bump this instead of starting a whole new thread)

Old
07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Marc Staal appeared at a charity event in Thunder Bay yesterday. He didn't discuss his contract. Don't know if he was asked. You could tell the writer of the story doesn't know what is going on

Quote:
Should he return to Broadway, the Rangers will need that type of effort and more to make it over the playoff hump for the third time in Staal’s brief professional career.

“The East is getting pretty thick, I think. Obviously we have a good defence, a good goalie. I think if we could just play more consistent than we did last year (we’ll be fine),” he said. “I think our effort wasn’t there most nights. If we can fix that,” we’ll be all right.”

In many ways 2009-10 was a breakout for the former first-rounder. The Thunder Bay native had his best offensive season and was invited to try out for the Canadian Olympic team. Though he was left off the roster, watching his older brother Eric bring home the gold, the second oldest of the four hockey-playing siblings thinks he took his game to the next level nonetheless.

“It felt like I improved again and I think I just want to keep doing that, as long as I can, and we’ll see where it takes us. Hopefully I can get to where I’m playing very well and the team is doing (well) and we can take a good run at that Cup.”
http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/10...ayoffs-on-mind

Old
07-16-2010, 02:58 PM
DangleBerry94*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Marc Staal appeared at a charity event in Thunder Bay yesterday. He didn't discuss his contract. Don't know if he was asked. You could tell the writer of the story doesn't know what is going on

http://www.tbnewswatch.com/sports/10...ayoffs-on-mind
interesting that he noted the effort lacking on a lot of nights. i've said it before, and i don't think it's a physical issue so much as a mental one, but he is one of our jekyl and hyde players. when he plays crosby/jordan, ovechkin, eric, and when someone takes a run at him he turns into a monster. aside from those occasions he is still our most reliable defenseman, but when he turns it on and starts rushing the puck a little bit he is a bull at both ends of the ice. not to mention he can bring the wood when he wants to and is smart enough to pick the spots right and not bring himself out of position. little swipe at the forwards there too ie (paraphrasing) "we have the defense and goaltending". not that he is incorrect. but i would like to see him mentally more engaged and play a bit meaner. that said, lock him up and don't look back.

Old
08-31-2010, 02:53 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Don't know where to put this....

Zipay spoke to some Ranger players about Staal today

Quote:
No updates on the Marc Staal situation, but players are paying attention. A couple, requesting anonymity, said they believe a deal will be reached before the season, which is what I believe. Sticking point still appears to be how many UFA years the Rangers will be able to lock in
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...at-1-1.2248980

Staal is 4 years away from being a group III.

The Rangers have the $5 million available in summer cap space to sign Staal to a long term deal.

Old
08-31-2010, 03:12 PM
terrrrrible

I understand that Staal can get more money as a UFA, even from the Rangers, but does anyone else question his loyalty to the team in this situation? We don't know how the team will be 4-6 years down the line and whether or not he'll end up in a position like Lundqvist ("wasting" top talent on a mediocre team), but how far into free agency could Sather be trying to dig? I'm assuming Staal is trying to get a 4 year deal so he can get a brand new contract once he's UFA eligible. This is probably me just freaking out and wanting this is be over with.

Old
08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrrrrible View Post
I understand that Staal can get more money as a UFA, even from the Rangers, but does anyone else question his loyalty to the team in this situation? We don't know how the team will be 4-6 years down the line and whether or not he'll end up in a position like Lundqvist ("wasting" top talent on a mediocre team), but how far into free agency could Sather be trying to dig? I'm assuming Staal is trying to get a 4 year deal so he can get a brand new contract once he's UFA eligible. This is probably me just freaking out and wanting this is be over with.
It has nothing to do with loyalty. It's business. It's easy to say that players should wait their turn to get their money, but he could get hurt on his first shift and never play again. When players have a chance to get paid, they are going to get as much as they can. That's just the way it is. Any one of us would do the same thing.

Again, it has nothing to do with loyalty. Would you give up 1 mil or more out of loyalty? I seriously doubt it.

Old
08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
The Perfect Paradox

If how many years of UFA is the problem, is it possible we are waiting to bury Redden before signing Staal?

If we have ~5M left in summer cap space, maybe that isn't enough for a LT deal for let's say 7 or 8 years. Is it possible that this hold up is partially caused by the fact that a LT deal would require more then 5M of salary per year?

Old
08-31-2010, 05:23 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Henrik 30 View Post
If how many years of UFA is the problem, is it possible we are waiting to bury Redden before signing Staal?

If we have ~5M left in summer cap space, maybe that isn't enough for a LT deal for let's say 7 or 8 years. Is it possible that this hold up is partially caused by the fact that a LT deal would require more then 5M of salary per year?
I doubt it. For that to be the case, we'd have to wait until the end of training camp before we could send Redden down and sign Staal. Torts has already said that Staal won't be in camp without a contract, and I doubt Staal would risk getting injured if he's not under contract.

So basically, they'd all have to agree for Staal to miss all of training camp. Again, I seriously doubt it. Sather should have enough to get Staal signed long term. Hopefully it will happen before camp starts.

Old
08-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Don't know where to put this....

Zipay spoke to some Ranger players about Staal today

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...at-1-1.2248980

Staal is 4 years away from being a group III.

The Rangers have the $5 million available in summer cap space to sign Staal to a long term deal.
I like the angle that Zip went here. Being that Staal and Sather are tight lipped, he went outside the box a little. Even though it isn't much, at least its something.

Sometimes the business side of the sport really annoys the hell outta me.

Old
08-31-2010, 06:05 PM
pwoz

Assuming it's a 5+ year deal, how much does Staal actually want AAV?

Closed Thread