HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds sign Aaron Johnson two-way contract

Old
08-31-2010, 02:52 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
Preds sign Aaron Johnson two-way contract

http://twitter.com/NHLPredsInsider

Aaron Johnson $550K/$105K two way one year contract
Defenseman

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?2576

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

why ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:03 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Great depth d-man signing for you guys. I really liked Johnson during his time in Calgary.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Pressure up on Franson to sign and Sulzer to make the team. Blum and Josi likely ticketed automatically to Milwaukee now to start the year, Laakso too.

Gonna be one heck of a battle at training camp. Drop the puck!!!

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:07 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Great depth d-man signing for you guys. I really liked Johnson during his time in Calgary.
Depth. I don't think Blum or Josi are as sure-fire ready as some around here do.

Or...this is pressure for Parent...Or...Franson is on his way out.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

I think this puts Sulzer in Milwaukee or traded. Big depth signing, this guy played 19 minutes a game with Edmonton and 12 minutes in Calgary

Old
08-31-2010, 03:27 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

and David Poile says... "if your name isnt Weber or Suter, your spot is not assured.. lace 'em tight and give us your best"

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:30 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Let's see, 21 forwards who could provide NHL quality depth, 11 defenseman, and 4 goalies who could be on the Preds IF they don't sign a vet back up.

Poile, this isn't baseball, you can't have a 40 man roster.

Old
08-31-2010, 03:48 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

From what I see, he played 12 minutes a game for Calgary, a bit more as an offensive defenseman than a defensive defenseman. Traded to the Oil and he played pretty even PK and PP. Edmonton is pissed that he's with Nashville, all I need to know

Old
08-31-2010, 03:54 PM
cjerina

Immediately thought "buh bye Franson"... still, really? Didn't impress me much when I saw him with the Hawks.

cjerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:58 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...9&YearBox=2010

Note: Nashville is at exactly 50 contracts minus Dietrich who's currently in Deutchland. 4 of the contracts can be transferred because they are for CHL players. There is room for 4 more contracts. Plenty of room for a goalie signing and maybe another forward.

Old
08-31-2010, 04:07 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
http://capgeek.com/reserve_lists.php...9&YearBox=2010

Note: Nashville is at exactly 50 contracts minus Dietrich who's currently in Deutchland. 4 of the contracts can be transferred because they are for CHL players. There is room for 4 more contracts. Plenty of room for a goalie signing and maybe another forward.
Dietrich still counts against the 50 contract limit since we made a qualifying offer to him to retain his rights. Assuming all four sliding contracts do in fact slide, which is highly plausible, then the Preds have space for 3 more contracts. I can't see them using all three spots though as it would make acquistions later in the season more difficult...

Old
08-31-2010, 04:09 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Dietrich still counts against the 50 contract limit since we made a qualifying offer to him to retain his rights. Assuming all four sliding contracts do in fact slide, which is highly plausible, then the Preds have space for 3 more contracts. I can't see them using all three spots though as it would make acquistions later in the season more difficult...
True didn't know about the QO counting on the reserve list. Still, pick up one more contract and save the 2 open slots for a trade deadline pick up.

Old
08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
lightning_legwand*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
From what I see, he played 12 minutes a game for Calgary, a bit more as an offensive defenseman than a defensive defenseman. Traded to the Oil and he played pretty even PK and PP. Edmonton is pissed that he's with Nashville, all I need to know
I heard he can put up some alright numbers, but is more defensive than offensive.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 07:10 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
I heard he can put up some alright numbers, but is more defensive than offensive.
He's been very effective on the PK, but every scouting report and the stats portray him as the exact opposite.

Good breakdown of Johnson over at On The Forecheck:
http://mobile.ontheforecheck.com/201...predators-sign

Old
08-31-2010, 07:45 PM
ZombPred
ALLeyeDOizWHEN!

So this is the veteran DMan we needed?

ZombPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:05 PM
lightning_legwand*

Perhaps Klein or Sulzer may be looking for a new team to play for?
I think Johnson may be a diamond in the rough, and by "diamond" i mean a top 5 defenseman, not top 7

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:49 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
He's been very effective on the PK, but every scouting report and the stats portray him as the exact opposite.

Good breakdown of Johnson over at On The Forecheck:
http://mobile.ontheforecheck.com/201...predators-sign
That scouting report doesn't make sense to me. They say he is weaker at defense and gets "overwhelmed" in his own end, is more offense first, has a good shot, yet it's not Franson who should be worried but Parent. Parent? A stay at home defender is going to get beat out by a guy who thy say is weaker as a stay at home defender? The only thing I can see is Johnson taking a PK spot over Parent or something which could bump out Parent.

Anyway, obviously I know little about him. Last winter/spring some Oiler fans on HF were saying Johnson was a good 3rd pairing guy, may still improve, and were suggesting up to a million a year for two years to play the 3rd pair veteran role. Others said, too much , maybe just 800k for two years. But it sounds as if Poile couldn't pass him up at the price, for depth.

From what I can find on the net there's been times with each team he's been with that the fans liked his play. He sounds somewhat well-rounded to me. Some fans say bad luck with injuries has held him back more than a lack of defensive ability. Only once in awhile does someone talk about him getting burnt often, but some say that. I guess we'll find out. I like the added competition for the 6th/7th spot. I liek the claims he's a good skater and decent PKer. Poile doesn't want any excuses on the PK another year I guess, giving the coaches some choices.

Welcome Aaron, play well!

Last edited by OpenWheel: 08-31-2010 at 09:03 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 08:54 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

sounds like one of those prospects WILL be moved if they don't make the cut. There won't be enough roster room in MILW for them all. If I were Sulzer's agent I would be on the phone by now.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:00 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I honestly can't remember the last time this organization had this kind of depth at all positions going into camp. I know a lot of the defense and goaltending is unproven, but still. We are soon-to-be out of contract room. It might not be knock-your-socks-off kind of depth, but, as proven by Chicago, that kind of depth has to make-it or break-it for you. I hope this kind of depth forces players to appreciate their roles enough to excel, even if they aren't going to be a star.

edit: I also used the hyphen quota for the week in that post. Take notice

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:08 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Perhaps Klein or Sulzer may be looking for a new team to play for?
I think Johnson may be a diamond in the rough, and by "diamond" i mean a top 5 defenseman, not top 7
That would be great if Johnson turns out to be a surprise and play higher. As long as it's because he's good and not that our other guys play poorly. Things are more crowded now for sure. Sulzer, some others may be blocked from getting call ups.

I am hoping Blum makes the club. I know he's still just 21, but if the question on him is whether he can handle the bigger guys in the NHL yet, I think it would be good for him to be exposed to those guys so we, and himself, can find out. May move his development along faster than Milwaukee. Of course, if another year of getting stronger is needed, fine.

Old
08-31-2010, 09:32 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

I think that if anyone should be concerned by this signing, it's Ryan Parent. Johnson was used, from the mouths of Oilers\Flames fans, in an almost entirely defensive role..but could at times chip in offense. Dan Hamhuis lite, essentially.

I think if the organization had total faith in Parent and his ability to both stay healthy and contribute in a meaningful way, AJ is never signed.

That...OR things are going worse with Franson than we even expect.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Honestly, when I first thought about this signing I thought that Franson's negotiations were going poorly. I still do. We have a plethora of offensive d-man prospects. Franson has proven he can contribute on the blueline, but only if he's nurtured. It'll be interesting to see what this signing means in the future.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:47 PM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
I think that if anyone should be concerned by this signing, it's Ryan Parent. Johnson was used, from the mouths of Oilers\Flames fans, in an almost entirely defensive role..but could at times chip in offense. Dan Hamhuis lite, essentially.

I think if the organization had total faith in Parent and his ability to both stay healthy and contribute in a meaningful way, AJ is never signed.

That...OR things are going worse with Franson than we even expect.
I also think Parent may get crowded out. But not for some of the reasons stated in the earlier scouting report. But rather just because Parent may not be ready to play well, may not be healthy. Franson may stick for his PP abilities, whereas Johnson may pressure a guy like Parent or our prospects due to his PK experience. To me Johnson sounds a bit like Klein lite. And will just be a depth guy but with a fair chance to make the team.

I really like the pickup from what I hear about him.

Old
09-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Top 6 Spaling

From TheHockeyNews

"ASSETS: Has offensive instincts and the ability to play forward if required. Is a big man with good skating prowess.

FLAWS: Isn't nearly polished enough in the defensive zone to log big minutes. Consistency has eluded him at the highest level.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Useful depth defenseman."

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...layer.cgi?2576

Interesting. Now Franson really has to sign. Hopefully Poile found another diamond in the rough like he always seems to do

Last edited by Seth Lake: 09-01-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Must link to source
Top 6 Spaling is online now   Reply With Quote