HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Carey Price destined to fail in Montreal?

Old
09-01-2010, 06:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Niagara View Post
And as we all know, any "fan" that boos their own team is not a "fan" at all..so who cares about those idiots?
Those idiots are the same ones that will give him a thunderous ovation after he stops 39 of 40 and steals us a win.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:48 AM
Krautso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Of course Price cares what the people think. You think he would have raised his arms a la Roy if he didn't??..Or did he do that for his teammates?..
Every player cares about how they're perceived by the fans and the city they play in. Don't be so naive.
Everybody has their cracking points. If things are going bad, you can ignore some comments here and there but at some point it'll get to you.
If it's going well for you, everybody enjoys being the hero. Having people cherish and idolize you must certainly be very gratifying.

Of course the players care. The NHL wouldn't exist if there was no fans.

Players care a whole lot more about how they are percieved by their teammates, coaches and management than the fans. Players know the fans are passionate, ignorant and fickle (as a general mob). Don't be so naive to think that validation from the fans is a driving point in a players career. Interaction with the fans and media is necessary part of the job so I guess if it was always negative all the time it could start to wear on you but even though the NHL is entertainment..these are not entertainers. They don't grow up wanting to be idolized..they want to play hockey at the very best level and get paid for it.

People on these boards who wring their hands because they see negative posts or hear a couple hundred idiots boo during the game and think that is going to drive a player out of the city are mistaken. NHL players generally insulate themselves from the press and fans for this very reason.

As for raising his hands..thats one example of an immature kid responding to the crowd and the game situation. My point is more that the players dont come home from the game and start listening to post-game call in shows or log on to these boards to see if they are being cherished enough. They don't care. They have much more important and tangible ways to measure their performance and success (teammates, coaches, management, whether they win or lose).

They care that the fans are there, paying to see the game but not which part of the love/hate rollercoaster they are on with the fans and media.

Krautso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:40 AM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krautso View Post
Players care a whole lot more about how they are percieved by their teammates, coaches and management than the fans. Players know the fans are passionate, ignorant and fickle (as a general mob). Don't be so naive to think that validation from the fans is a driving point in a players career. Interaction with the fans and media is necessary part of the job so I guess if it was always negative all the time it could start to wear on you but even though the NHL is entertainment..these are not entertainers. They don't grow up wanting to be idolized..they want to play hockey at the very best level and get paid for it.

People on these boards who wring their hands because they see negative posts or hear a couple hundred idiots boo during the game and think that is going to drive a player out of the city are mistaken. NHL players generally insulate themselves from the press and fans for this very reason.

As for raising his hands..thats one example of an immature kid responding to the crowd and the game situation. My point is more that the players dont come home from the game and start listening to post-game call in shows or log on to these boards to see if they are being cherished enough. They don't care. They have much more important and tangible ways to measure their performance and success (teammates, coaches, management, whether they win or lose).

They care that the fans are there, paying to see the game but not which part of the love/hate rollercoaster they are on with the fans and media.
Well said .... couldn't have said it better

ymorin007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:43 AM
headliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Those idiots are the same ones that will give him a thunderous ovation after he stops 39 of 40 and steals us a win.
Yep.

Front runners, all of em.

WE won! WE'RE awesome!

THEY lost! THEY suck!

Those fans exist for every sport, every team.

headliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
*excessively long and rambly and opinionated post coming up*

It's not Price's fault he's in this situation, it's Gainey's.

Honestly, others might disagree, Price had no business in the NHL at 19. He should've stayed in Hamilton one extra year with Halak backing up Huet, then he should've been brought up the year after, possibly in a tandem with Halak.

What happened instead was that he was brought up to backup Huet after his short stint in the AHL, and Huet was dealt to make room for Price despite the fact he hadn't significantly outplayed him (in fact, if I remember correctly, both had around the same numbers). Price was then handed the #1 job and Halak was brought up to back him up.

The problem lies there and stared there.

Things that are wrong with the above:

(a) Price didn't get enough experience in the AHL to graduate to the NHL. "Winning it all" at that level doesn't mean you're ready for the pros. Let him season for a little bit longer and leave Halak, who's played in the NHL before and deserves his shot after his solid 06-07 run, as the other goalie with Huet.
Again, this is simply my opinion on what should have gone down.

(b) Let's say the Habs decide to trade Huet (and they did) with Halak as the other goalie. He's dealt, and Price is called up. Price and Halak then proceed to fight for the #1 job just in time for the playoffs. Both are good candidates, and it the competition could only make them better.
What happened was that Price was backing up Huet, Huet was dealt, Halak was called up, and Price was given the #1 job. You could argue because he had been in the NHL and Halak hadn't that he deserved that role, but I beg to differ. Halak was, once again, having an exceptional season in the AHL. The Habs should've let them battle it out like I said. Hell, Price probably would have won with the way he played, but my point is, rather than announce Carey's your #1 guy after Huet is traded, don't announce a #1 guy, and let their play dictate it. Carey played well enough down the stretch to earn that #1 job, so I don't have any gripes about how that played out. I do have a problem with the fact it was him that made the team over Halak.

(c) Trading Huet created another problem. A lack of veteran presence, a guy to mentor Price/Halak (depending on which scenario you choose to follow above). You have two rookies, and one is your annointed #1, the other is your clear-cut backup, no threat to the annointed #1, yet not enough experience in the league to act as a mentor.

(d) After Price struggled in the Philadelphia series, it was clear it was too soon that we brought him up. Yes we couldn't score much on Biron, but Price was horrendous that series, and it took way too long to switch over to Halak to save Price some grace. Rather than make Price the #1 heading into 08-09, I still believe they should've let Halak challenge him for the role. He was no real threat, we all know that. Price was still the guy, no matter what. Management thought he'd grow into his role by facing adversity and struggling at times, but we should've shielded him better, protected him better. Price had an abysmal 2nd half to 08-09 (as did the team), following the All-Star Break.

And what does Gainey do?

He fires Carbo, takes over, benches Halak and rides Price all the way through a sweep against the B's. I still HATE the fact he did that and refused to play Halak, citing Price was a "thoroughbred". At a certain point, you have to realize that you risk ruining his mental game rather than strengthening it, and that's exactly what might've happend as a result of the Habs giving Price too much confidence and too little adversity.

Not to mention his Roy moment and all the rumours about his off-season escapades. A 20-21 year old living in Montreal alone, no one with him, no veteran around or anything...what more was going to happen? Did anyone just *expect* Price to be mature at that age all by himself? Of course not, you BECOME mature. Price matured by being benched last season in the playoffs, and I hope that's made him a more competitive and graceful person. Not that he wasn't even graceful, but just that we need to feel like he's not a kid anymore.

Price was brought up against Carbo's wishes as well, in 07-08, it's worth noting. This is Gainey's mess (and yes, it is a mess, regardless what you think of Price...his rep is shaky enough as it is and his play is inconsistent, painting a target on his back. That's not all his fault, not at all, he was brought up too early, given everything too quickly and not nurtured/protected enough.

Then, you go ahead and trade your playoff MVP and put all the pressure back on Price's shoulders, with, once again, no real guy to challenge him (a la Dan Ellis, Auld isn't going to win the #1 job unless Price is horribly bad, which I seriously hope he isn't, or else we're ****ed).

Then there's the media that's been on his back since his 08-09 season, all the hype, all the partying, the Roy moment, the whispers of immaturity in the locker room/being called out by his teammmates. All this has been building up to right now, to this possible holdout. It would be the worst thing he could possibly do, but honestly, do you really think he likes this city right now? Do you? Knowing that no matter what he does, he will get booed and he will get criticized.

There are expectations, and unless they're met, he will fail, like you say, Koseegin.

It's worth noting I always supported Halak in the "debate" (there wasn't one, really) last season, but I don't blame Price for any of this, I blame Bob Gainey...for all the good the man did with our revamped roster, he grossly mishandled Carey Price. The hype got to Bob, and that's why we're having this discussion in this thread today.

Nice post!! You make a lot of great points.

I've said from the start that Price should have played at least 1 full season in Hamilton to help him develop....Halak and Huet could have battled it out for a year and Halak could have taken the #1 job when Huet was traded since he was more ready than Price was.

I honestly believe that Price will be a failure as long as he is playing for the Habs.....I don't think he can handle the pressure from the media and fans. He needs to go to a small market team where nobody cares about the team or its players or talk about them in the media everyday.

Last year in the playoffs, Halak showed great poise when being interviewed and he never got too high or too low. Price doesn't have the maturity to act like that....he wears his emotions on his sleeve and one minute he's on top of the world and the next he's crying on Koivu's shoulder in the dressing room.

If Price keeps holding out for more and more money, its not going to make things any easier for him. If he loses, the fans will boo because we dished out big money for a goalie that can't win games. If he was smart and reasonable, he's sign for $2-2.5 million for 1 or 2 seasons and let the rest play itself out. Either he'd grow up, step up his play and prove all the critics wrong and show the people of Montreal that he is capable of greatness, or he'll continue to crumble under the pressure and get boo'd out of town and demand a trade.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:04 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
no but i am destined to start ignoring a few posters lol
LOL its been a long while, but i agree with Joey here !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:08 AM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
If he had a rough start, I predict that they'll have to let him go before it becomes a living hell.
Not a chance. Bob Gainey is still an employee of the Montreal Canadiens and I firmly believe he orchestrated the Halak trade. Carey Price will be the anointed #1 goaltender for this franchise this season and probably next season and isn't going anywhere so long as Gainey still has sway with hockey operations. The day that Gainey walks out the door is the day that Price has to start fearing for his job. Not before.

Sadly I think this season will more likely than not be yet another serious mistake in Price's development and we'll be having all these discussions again next off-season.

optimus2861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:09 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
This post is largly inspired by the recent thread about Price supposedly ready to strike to get the money he is looking for and partly inspired by a point that both Whitesnake and Canadian_Brewtality brought up quite a while ago.

Is Carey Price destined to fail in Montreal solely based on everyone's perception that has been based on stuff speculated by the media?

After reading that thread it seemed to me that people are now looking for reasons to hate on Price. Has the damaged already been done? It looks like it and it's not even on these boards. My girlfriends 10 year old cousin and his friends already tell me that they "hate Carey Price" and when I ask them why, they respond by saying "I don't know, everyone hates him."

Do other people think this city is willing to give him a chance or do you think that everyone has already made up their minds in regards to Price?

When I read some posts, it looks like some people can't wait for him to fail or do something bad like sign a higher contract so that they can share their current feelings about Price.

It just seems really sad.

Important to note that this is just my perception of the situation and it doesn't necessarily mean that is what is happening. Also I would like to note that if your not ready to discuss the issue at hand and by that I mean not turning this into a Halak vs Price thread or a Gauthier is stupid thread or a Carey Price bashing thread please do us all a favor and just don't post in it.

Please mods leave this open and don't merge it with the Price strike thread and the actually premise of this post is quite different from the other thread and a whole other issue in and of itself.
I still think it's worse with Andrei Kostitsyn and when we first got Gomez even though he played well it was worse. (At least on HF)

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Unless it all goes downhill like it was for Brisebois and that EVERY player who cares or not would eventually end up caring. True, most players aren't probably listening to any stupidity before and after a game. But every player has friends or family who might tell them what's going on. Players know more what's out there that you give them the benefit of knowing. And while they had a job to do and so on, at one point they are still human beings with options. And if one of that option is going elsewhere to not be harassed, questioned or laughed at, they'll choose that option by asking a trade. Been done before, will be done after.

If they'd be solely doing a job, you would not have heard so much how players didn't want to come here 'cause of the pressure of fans and media. Something tells me that it's a link to how aware they are of how it's going on around here. Yep taxes and cold weather is surely other reasons. And you hear those reasons as well. But so are the other reasons.

And at one point, like I said before, it comes with a choice. If you don't like the attention, what do you go for? Playing the sport you love, having a lot of money and being watched and criticized every single minute? Or having a lot of money, playing the sport you love and not being recognized in the street?

While I would hope players would thrive in such a environment, clearly it's not all of them who do.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmontreal View Post
Ok, "Here I go again" hoping Price will succeed even though there "Aint no love in the heart of the city".
Hopefully the other teams wont "Slide it in" or we will do our "Crying in the rain", eventually singing "Now youre gone" asking "Is this love?".
So please Price, "Dont break my heart again", be "Ready and willing" take it "Slow and easy", be our "Soldier of fortune" and maybe in the "Still of the night", we will celebrate with "Wine, woman and a song"!

Sorry, just had to....
And thanks for doing it.

Old
09-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac View Post
It's not wrong to predict this, I must say. I should re-state myself because I feel you are telling it the way it is. I was railing against those who would say he has to go to save his career but then turn around and blame management for trading him and not being patient. No one can have it both ways. But why does it always have to be like this? Montreal's exceptional environment of expectations is a major stumbling block if we're ever going to build a cup winner. Who's to say this wouldn't have happened if we took Kopitar instead back in '05? Anyway, I'm kind of whining but I think what you've said is spot on. But who exactly replaces him if he falters or fans are too harsh on him? I hope Martin can get this team playing a tight system and scoring goals for Price like they did with Halak. Price will take the fall in the eyes of the mob even if the Habs have 400 man games lost to injury and score 200 goals. It's sad it's come to that.
I understand your point and I've been pissed off before when I kept reading that sentence but especially because I believe that the "He wouldn't have done it here" was used way too much especially by people who didn't want to feel bad about losing a trade or seeing a guy thrive elsewhere. Actually, I hate that phrase and don't believe it.....until the Price situation. We lost control of the situation. Unless he comes out really big, it will be going downhill from now on. But that's not what I'm hoping for. I mean, why would I hope for my team to lose one of the most promising NHL players? Why would I want my team to start all over again? Clearly, if we are able to make the trade of the century, I won't mind that much 'cause in the end, it's not who you trade...it's who you get in return. But how the hell would we be able to get the kind of return Price deserves when it will be obvious that if we have to trade him because it's not going our way, that teams will be waiting for us, making us, AGAIN, with the short end of the stick.

Price has to deliver. For the sake of everybody involved....but my reknown "pessimism" doesn't see it happening though for once, it's not towards the organization right now but more about the environment.

Old
09-01-2010, 08:23 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

All this is because of the whole Halak vs Price debate.

I have a friend of mine that is ready to get down on his 4 kneez and start fellating him. But whenever I mention the word price...he will hate and hate and HATE

Price suuuuuuucks man price is the WOOOORSE goalie ever

u know...ur typical brainwashed people that dont know **** about hockey but speak as if they are benoit brunet...

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:24 AM
JrHockeyFan

Lots of the critique that goes on in the press seem to float around in this thread too

Where are folks getting the ideas about personal reactions of Price himself? How would anybody know what he is thinking? Where does this "he should play in a small market" stuff come from?

Anyway, it's probably a lot to ask but fans and the press should stop making conversation pieces out of players, with all the rationalized BS. The only thing that really should matter is on ice performance.

Talented players show up and it seems like people want to make things as difficult as possible with rumours and innuendo.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:37 AM
CDNMarty

Price has been destined to fail ever since the Habs "wasted" their 5th overall pick to take him at a position we were seemingly fine at and bypassing Gilbert Brule. Most won't be happy until Price is winning Vezinas and stealing Cups.

Add all that with Price's reputation as a party animal, his nonchalant attitude, incidents like acknowledging the fans sarcastic cheers against the Bruins, Markov blasting him in the locker room, the emergence of a quiet Slovakian named Halak, the organization's preference of him over Huet and Halak and it's a cocktail of failure for his tenure in Montreal.

CDNMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Bob in Niagara

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNMarty View Post
Price has been destined to fail ever since the Habs "wasted" their 5th overall pick to take him at a position we were seemingly fine at and bypassing Gilbert Brule. Most won't be happy until Price is winning Vezinas and stealing Cups.

Add all that with Price's reputation as a party animal, his nonchalant attitude, incidents like acknowledging the fans sarcastic cheers against the Bruins, Markov blasting him in the locker room, the emergence of a quiet Slovakian named Halak, the organization's preference of him over Huet and Halak and it's a cocktail of failure for his tenure in Montreal.
I hope he makes you all eat crow this year....

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:58 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:

Let me get this straight, you wish we had Gilbert Brule instead?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471680

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
And that's a succinct but exact resume. Now people shouldn't judge if it makes sense or not to judge a kid based on what you just mentioned....but just acknowledge that's the way it is in Montreal. I personnally believe that it makes no sense judging a kid that way. No sense at all.

We keep hearing by journalists right now and from fans laughing at Price and almost being angry with him for his rodeo he participated in......I mean seriously?

Listening to the radio and people were laughing at the kid, mocking him already and being angry saying he's responsible for Halak's departure....And people don't see how he'll most likely won't succeed here?

Old
09-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

Well, we keep mentioning on this board that it's not because we would have drafted Getzlaf or any other guys that succeeded elsewhere that he would have develop the way we wanted.....so...how about the fact that who knows how Brule would have developed if he would have been picked by us? Is it too far fetched to think that Hitchcock kills a whole lot of youngsters potential unless you are an exceptional la Rick Nash?

Anyway, it makes no sense going back to the 2005 draft now. It's irrelevant anyway, if we would have developed him better, we wouldn't care about that anyway. I didn't agree at all with the pick at the time, I wanted Brule, but clearly Timmins made a fine pick 'cause drafting him wasn't the problem. Developing him.....that's another story.

Old
09-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Ginu

Quote:

I would agree with you in theory except for the fact that the fans and media have affected players before Price who have gone on and performed much better without them. Negative media leads to pressure and, whether we like to believe it or not, that pressure affects performance. Some people perform great under pressure, think of yourself or your friends who do their best for a midterm if they pull an all nighter the night before. Others don't, they need to be calm and relaxed. It's just the way it is. Those two groups of people make up hockey players as well because they're human. It doesn't mean one is better than the other and leads to a better hockey player. I prefer the 2nd approach, I hate all nighters, and I'm the CEO of my own company. Sometimes fans are stupid and they do it for fun not realizing how stupid they are. For example, booing you players regardless is a dumb thing to do. They'll tell you go ***** off.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:11 AM
CDNMarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post

Absolutely not, that's why I put the word wasted in quotation marks.

I'm first in the "give Price time to develop" line but I'm saying why I think he's destined to fail in Montreal. He hasn't been given a fair shot by a large sector of the fanbase and media and it's a damn shame. The second Huet was traded, all people were talking about was that he was going to have a Roy/Dryden-esque playoff run. How fair is that for a kid in his rookie season?

Old
09-01-2010, 09:32 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

I often hear people say he'll get eaten alive if he starts losing 5-6 games in a row, but the other way is also true, if he starts winning 5-6 games in a row, people will be saying Jaro who again?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:39 AM
CDNMarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I often hear people say he'll get eaten alive if he starts losing 5-6 games in a row, but the other way is also true, if he starts winning 5-6 games in a row, people will be saying Jaro who again?
We can be tied 1-1 in the 3rd period with Price standing on his head and if Price lets in a softie and the team loses 2-1, they'll be chanting Halak, forget losing 5-6 in a row.

Old
09-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
We can be tied 1-1 in the 3rd period with Price standing on his head and if Price lets in a softie and the team loses 2-1, they'll be chanting Halak, forget losing 5-6 in a row.

And rightfully so! If I had a dollar for everytime I seen that happen last season, I'd have a wallet full of money!!!!

If Price wants to prove his critics wrong, he better sign the offer the Habs gave him ASAP and stand on his head all season, play good hockey, quit partying all the time and become a professional athlete instead of a spoiled little kid who has had everything handed to him. Time for him to step up and earn it!!

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Well, we keep mentioning on this board that it's not because we would have drafted Getzlaf or any other guys that succeeded elsewhere that he would have develop the way we wanted.....so...how about the fact that who knows how Brule would have developed if he would have been picked by us? Is it too far fetched to think that Hitchcock kills a whole lot of youngsters potential unless you are an exceptional la Rick Nash?

Anyway, it makes no sense going back to the 2005 draft now. It's irrelevant anyway, if we would have developed him better, we wouldn't care about that anyway. I didn't agree at all with the pick at the time, I wanted Brule, but clearly Timmins made a fine pick 'cause drafting him wasn't the problem. Developing him.....that's another story.
Do you honestly believe it would have been easier for brule in montreal to develop than in columbus? I know its all guessing but still.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:05 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
And rightfully so! If I had a dollar for everytime I seen that happen last season, I'd have a wallet full of money!!!!

If Price wants to prove his critics wrong, he better sign the offer the Habs gave him ASAP and stand on his head all season, play good hockey, quit partying all the time and become a professional athlete instead of a spoiled little kid who has had everything handed to him. Time for him to step up and earn it!!

2008 called and wants you to move on to the present. I like how he has to stand on his head for a whole season for him to be worthy of your praise. Halak didnt even stand on his head the whole season. You are truly retarded.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote