HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What Would You Do As GM?

View Poll Results: What would you do as GM?
Nothing - Don't fix what's not broke 3 6.82%
Goaltending - Trade a Forward to aquire 8 18.18%
Goaltending - Trade a Defenseman to aquire 22 50.00%
Defense - Beef up 0 0%
Offense - Beef up 0 0%
Sign a free agent goaltender 10 22.73%
Sign more character/gritty players 1 2.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
09-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Crossbar Ping

vCash: 500
What Would You Do As GM?

what would you do if you were in charge of the Philadelphia Flyers? Keeping in mind our options and short/long term.

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:03 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
I went with trading a forward for a goalie. I could imagine a deal with Carter could be worked out somewhere. Maybe Shelley could fetch a Miller-esque type player.

Anyway, the main thing I would do is beef up the scouting. Development seems okay, considering guys like Carter, Gagne, Richards, Giroux, etc. But scouting outside of the first round or two is pretty weak usually.

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:15 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwood View Post
I went with trading a forward for a goalie. I could imagine a deal with Carter could be worked out somewhere. Maybe Shelley could fetch a Miller-esque type player.

Anyway, the main thing I would do is beef up the scouting. Development seems okay, considering guys like Carter, Gagne, Richards, Giroux, etc. But scouting outside of the first round or two is pretty weak usually.
I think scouting outside the first 2 rounds is pretty weak for every team. What is the % of 3rd+ rounders that make the NHL? Detroit is an aberration, and even they only have found late gems a few times out of many.

As GM (at this point) I would sign Theodore to a cheap (<=1M) contract to at least make Leighton earn the starting job in a competition. I doubt too many people are going to want Walker+Boosh as a return for anything, let alone a decent goalie.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:18 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Nothing right now. Wait and see how the goaltending situation plays out. Maybe trade later on for a goalie, if there are even any available.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:50 AM
CptCannon

Leighton + Walker + pick(s)

for

Price signed long-term OR Price agreed to sign long-term as soon as he arrives PHI.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:21 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I voted "trade a D for a goalie" but any goalie vote is a good one.

Question: when was the last time a top tier team went into a season with a guy who one year ago was a number 3 on a nonplayoff team?

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:25 AM
Cartsiephan*

I will take this from a perspective of game 6 is finished and what are the needs of the team going forward into next season: 1) RW scoring 2) goalie 3) defensive depth.

The suitable trading partner was LA to open up the summer prior to the 7/1 UFA market and the best commodity the Flyers had was Carter. Let's say Bernier is off limits.

1) Carter for Quick(1.8), J. Johnson(1.425), and a 2nd rd pick. Take on $3.225mill while sending away $5.0 mill, difference of $1.775mill.

2) Sign O'Donnell, sign Shelley, and sign Armstrong as a UFA(2.5mill)

3) Sign Zherdev for $2.0.

2010-11 Lineup:

Gagne(5.25)-Giroux(.821)-Zherdev(2.0)
JvR(1.654)-Richards(5.75)-Armstrong(2.5)
Hartnell(4.2)-Briere(6.5)-Leino(.800)
Shelley(1.1)-Betts(.700)/Powe backup(.725)-Laperriere(1.166)

= $32.441 mill

Pronger(4.921)/Carle(3.437)
Timonen(6.333)/J Johnson(1.425)
Coburn(3.2)/O'Donnell(1.3)

Bartulis #7(.600)

= $20.616mill

Quick(1.8)(UFA 2013/24 y/o)/Leighton(1.550)(UFA 2012)

= $3.35mill

Total Cap Hit = $56.407

Cap Space = $2.993mill

2011 UFA/RFA : Zherdev(UFA), Gagne(UFA), Giroux(RFA), Leino(UFA), O'Donnell(UFA), Powe(RFA)------10.871 cap relief before negotiations.

Plus 2nd round pick from LA, also keep 2nd rd pick traded for Meszaros and get the 3rd rd pick for the Hamhuis fiasco. If LA is unwilling to include the 2nd rd pick make it a 3rd rd pick.

You have now solidified the lines positionally, taken care of the defensive depth, addressed getting a young goalie who is proven to withstand the rigors of a full season, and given a little cap space for trade deadline deals and also going forward be able to focus on managing the contract needs against the cap space available for the future.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Terence Peterman

Starting at the beginning of the offseason, I'd obviously:

1) Sign non MF Leighton goalie
2) Sign veteran third pairing defender
3) Profit

This is even conceding the 3rd line center spot, because Homer's even got a boner for three scoring lines.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:42 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I said nothing. If the season starts and it is clear that Leighton cannot carry the weight, then make a move. But the second half of the season/playoffs has given me confidence going in, especially with the bolstered defense and the offensive potential that Zherdev, Giroux, JVR, and Leino all bring for this coming season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:52 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I said nothing. If the season starts and it is clear that Leighton cannot carry the weight, then make a move. But the second half of the season/playoffs has given me confidence going in, especially with the bolstered defense and the offensive potential that Zherdev, Giroux, JVR, and Leino all bring for this coming season.
Make a move for who? What if no one is available?

Correct move. Waive Boucher give 1M to Theodore (If Turco dropped from over 5M a year to 1.3M Theo should be smart and take less while playing on a good team). His child passed away, he's had some rough times but he can start 20-30-40 games unlike Boucher. If Theo wants to play hockey Flyers should be interested.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-01-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
Make a move for who? What if no one is available?

Correct move. Waive Boucher give 1M to Theodore (If Turco dropped from over 5M a year to 1.3M Theo should be smart and take less while playing on a good team). His child passed away, he's had some rough times but he can start 20-30-40 games unlike Boucher. If Theo wants to play hockey Flyers should be interested.
This is probably the most viable option for us as a goalie goes. Plus Jose isn't that bad, he has shown at times that he can single handedly carry a team.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersjamminontheone View Post
This is probably the most viable option for us as a goalie goes. Plus Jose isn't that bad, he has shown at times that he can single handedly carry a team.
He is .910 type of goalie playing behind so-so D. Played over 50 games a number of times, 33 years old.

He was pulled in playoffs but if anyone watched that game they know, it was not really his fault. Caps played like poop in 1st 10 minutes of that game and scored 2 easy goals.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Terence Peterman

Wait, is beef up the defense really an option?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

I don't know about some people, but i would feel a great deal better about having Theodore as a backup. Everyone knows that the guy can be world class when his game is on, and it might be his last chance at a stanley cup. Good enough for us

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I don't know about some people, but i would feel a great deal better about having Theodore as a backup. Everyone knows that the guy can be world class when his game is on, and it might be his last chance at a stanley cup. Good enough for us
Any backup plan over Boucher at this point is an upgrade. I would prefer to see the Flyers make a handshake deal with Boucher to "play out" this year with Phantoms and mentor Bobrovsky and Backlund.

Old
09-01-2010, 11:42 AM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Theo seems like a good option if cheap, and if his heart's still in the game.

Personally, my pipe dream is to lure Bryz next offseason if PHX can't work something out with him. IMO he's worth freeing up some significant cap space for.

six sigma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
If I was the GM, I would hire Holmgren back as an adviser just so I could tell him to shut up and ***** at him for a couple of days about the situation he left me, and then fire him (again?) for incompetence.

I would also hire private eyes to photograph every move of every other GM in the league that has a goaltender worth a **** on his roster. One of them is bound to do some dirt eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Any backup plan over Boucher at this point is an upgrade. I would prefer to see the Flyers make a handshake deal with Boucher to "play out" this year with Phantoms and mentor Bobrovsky and Backlund.
I'm not sure where the handshake deal comes in? He's signed, so as far as I know, if he wanted to get payed he would play where ever they decide they need him.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
If I was the GM, I would hire Holmgren back as an adviser just so I could tell him to shut up and ***** at him for a couple of days about the situation he left me, and then fire him (again?) for incompetence.

I would also hire private eyes to photograph every move of every other GM in the league that has a goaltender worth a **** on his roster. One of them is bound to do some dirt eventually.

I'm not sure where the handshake deal comes in? He's signed, so as far as I know, if he wanted to get payed he would play where ever they decide they need him.
Don't know how it would work out but basically he would go to Adirondack to be a goalie coach with the prospect of joining the big club in some capacity, basically forced retirement.

Old
09-01-2010, 12:45 PM
bubs

I would build a time machine and go back to July 1 and not do what holmgren did. But as of now idk you would have to trade coburn or carle plus to warrant any decent return as far as goaltenders are concerned.

bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Cartsiephan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
I would build a time machine and go back to July 1 and not do what holmgren did. But as of now idk you would have to trade coburn or carle plus to warrant any decent return as far as goaltenders are concerned.
Nope, I gave a cap friendly way to get it done. It is the one scenario that could work, I guess the other deal could have been for Howard possibly.

Old
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Garbage Goal

Well, I would try to not **** up the whole off-season in the first place. As is though, I would try to trade or waive Boosh and sign Niemi or at least Theodore. Then you have to wait and see how the regular season plays out.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:32 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I do believe when the season starts and Leighton really starts sucking. We will see some kind of move.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:44 PM
CptCannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
I do believe when the season starts and Leighton really starts sucking. We will see some kind of move.
Another waiver-wire pick-up?

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Walnut

I went for trade a defenseman for a Goalie. We have 8 of them.

Also not an option, but I'd keep hold of our 2nd round picks. Our first will probably be gone by the deadline too. Although if it gets a better goalie, I won't complain too much.

Walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:04 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Waive Boucher, Walker and sign a goalie

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote