HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Carey Price destined to fail in Montreal?

Old
09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
SonOfGom

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
And that's a succinct but exact resume. Now people shouldn't judge if it makes sense or not to judge a kid based on what you just mentioned....but just acknowledge that's the way it is in Montreal. I personnally believe that it makes no sense judging a kid that way. No sense at all.

We keep hearing by journalists right now and from fans laughing at Price and almost being angry with him for his rodeo he participated in......I mean seriously?

Listening to the radio and people were laughing at the kid, mocking him already and being angry saying he's responsible for Halak's departure....And people don't see how he'll most likely won't succeed here?
I really like you as a poster, but I really dislike that line of thought, why should people tolerate wanton stupidity from other people?

SonOfGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:26 AM
JLP
чудесный Монреаль

don't like him but hope he makes me change my opinion

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:34 AM
Odelein24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNMarty View Post
Price has been destined to fail ever since the Habs "wasted" their 5th overall pick to take him at a position we were seemingly fine at and bypassing Gilbert Brule. Most won't be happy until Price is winning Vezinas and stealing Cups.

Add all that with Price's reputation as a party animal, his nonchalant attitude, incidents like acknowledging the fans sarcastic cheers against the Bruins, Markov blasting him in the locker room, the emergence of a quiet Slovakian named Halak, the organization's preference of him over Huet and Halak and it's a cocktail of failure for his tenure in Montreal.
We had a backlog of goalies before that draft IIRC (Theo, Huet, Danis, Halak). If we were going to rewrite that draft then I think the Canadiens would have been better suited taking http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471685. That player was something that people had been crying out for for years and he would have filled a void on the team BUT...

... that's not what happened.

Let Price play 1 game this year before we **** all over him. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he matured while riding the pine and watching Halak quietly play one excellent game after another. I believe that Halak's work ethic rubbed off on him, and that watching Halak (#271 overall) out play him gave him some sense of humility.

Odelein24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post
We had a backlog of goalies before that draft IIRC (Theo, Huet, Danis, Halak). If we were going to rewrite that draft then I think the Canadiens would have been better suited taking http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8471685. That player was something that people had been crying out for for years and he would have filled a void on the team BUT...

Yep, and odds are it never was going to happen even if Price didn't exist.

People forget quickly that Kopitar was seen as a risky pick which is why he lasted until the 11th pick. If the Habs hadn't picked Price, they could very well have ended up with this guy instead: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...d=nhl-keymatch

How well would that have worked out?

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:11 AM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Absolutely not, that's why I put the word wasted in quotation marks.

I'm first in the "give Price time to develop" line but I'm saying why I think he's destined to fail in Montreal. He hasn't been given a fair shot by a large sector of the fanbase and media and it's a damn shame. The second Huet was traded, all people were talking about was that he was going to have a Roy/Dryden-esque playoff run. How fair is that for a kid in his rookie season?
OK

Maybe it's just me but it came across differently

Quote:
Well, we keep mentioning on this board that it's not because we would have drafted Getzlaf or any other guys that succeeded elsewhere that he would have develop the way we wanted.....so...how about the fact that who knows how Brule would have developed if he would have been picked by us? Is it too far fetched to think that Hitchcock kills a whole lot of youngsters potential unless you are an exceptional à la Rick Nash?

Anyway, it makes no sense going back to the 2005 draft now. It's irrelevant anyway, if we would have developed him better, we wouldn't care about that anyway. I didn't agree at all with the pick at the time, I wanted Brule, but clearly Timmins made a fine pick 'cause drafting him wasn't the problem. Developing him.....that's another story.
I do not get the impression Brule has been hampered in any way in his development. I also can't see what we would have done to make him any better

So far Brule looks like a 3rd line player.

We've been burned a lot drafting WHL forwards. I expected him to be considered at the time but I was not too crazy about taking Brule. The Price pick surprised me, but all second guessing aside, I think we did alright

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:19 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odelein24 View Post

Let Price play 1 game this year before we **** all over him. I'm going to go out on a limb and say he matured while riding the pine and watching Halak quietly play one excellent game after another. I believe that Halak's work ethic rubbed off on him, and that watching Halak (#271 overall) out play him gave him some sense of humility.
You know why Kopitar was not drafted by the Habs ? .Because they has a bad experience in 2003 with another almost unknown European player: A.Kostitsyn.

As for the thread's original question.

YES. Price is destined to fail in Montreal.

75% Gainey's fault

25% Price's fault

Last edited by CanadienErrant*: 09-01-2010 at 11:27 AM.
CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:05 PM
Frankenheimer

He looks like a genuinely nice and sensitive person to me. I hope for his sake, and for Montreal's, he succeeds.

I do think some of his most ardent fans are already looking for excuses should he not succeed though (media, Gainey, Gauthier, fans). I don't think we should be looking for excuses in that eventuality, not for Price, nor for any individual in such a fortunate, and privileged situation (millionaire, playing a game, legions of fans, most storied franchise).

People need to get a grip. He's stopping a puck for money, not performing surgery to save someone's life. If he fails at stopping the puck, it would be unfortunate if the responsibility weren't placed solely on his shoulders. He's a very wealthy adult with plenty of support, exponentially more than the average person performing much more dangerous and important social functions.

If Price fails, he should look in the mirror and know he, and he alone, controlled his destiny.

Frankenheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

Guys, Carey Price will conquer the world.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
2008 called and wants you to move on to the present. I like how he has to stand on his head for a whole season for him to be worthy of your praise. Halak didnt even stand on his head the whole season. You are truly retarded.

HAHAHAHAA.....sounds like another Price fanboy who prefers to ignore what thousands of people have seen over the past 2 seasons.

I respect people for sticking behind someone no matter how poorly they do, but don't ignore the facts.

-Price has never earned anything as a Hab.
-Price had a great start to his career, but has done nothing since.
-Price lost the #1 job to a more mature and better Halak.
-Price was given the #1 job back and is now holding out for more money as if he deserves it or something.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:14 PM
SonOfGom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
You know why Kopitar was not drafted by the Habs ? .Because they has a bad experience in 2003 with another almost unknown European player: A.Kostitsyn.

As for the thread's original question.

YES. Price is destined to fail in Montreal.

75% Gainey's fault

25% Price's fault
I wonder why they haven't trade Andrei if management have had such a low opinion of him since 2005.

Old
09-01-2010, 12:17 PM
CDNMarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalakRulz View Post
He's being given a chance to earn something now. Why not give him a clean slate?

Quote:
He's 23, it's still the start of his career.

Quote:
-Price was given the #1 job back and is now holding out for more money as if he deserves it or something.
I'll give you these two but it comes down to this, Price is the best goalie we have so why not just put your support behind him? If you wanna get negative, get negative once actual games are played.

CDNMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:31 PM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
Has the damaged already been done? It looks like it and it's not even on these boards. My girlfriends 10 year old cousin and his friends already tell me that they "hate Carey Price" and when I ask them why, they respond by saying "I don't know, everyone hates him."
Well - I personally don't let the opinions of preteens sway me, but that's just me. Clearly you're using a different 'system'.

This ****ing fanbase - insane....

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:35 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
He's being given a chance to earn something now. Why not give him a clean slate?

He's 23, it's still the start of his career.

I'll give you these two but it comes down to this, Price is the best goalie we have so why not just put your support behind him? If you wanna get negative, get negative once actual games are played.

His age has nothing to do with the start of his career. The start of his career was 3 years ago....more than enough time to develop into a solid NHL goalie, especially since he was apparently NHL ready like some people believe. Thats what bugs me, if he was NHL ready when he came to the Habs then we shouldn't have to see him struggle and get worse season after season. Thats the only problem I have with Price and his adoring fans. If he had improved his record and stats in each of the last 2 years like Halak did....well I'd be raving about Price too and standing behind him 100%....but he didn't so I don't understand why people are going crazy about him and saying he's gonna be awesome....he's done nothing to show that.

IF he was NHL ready, he should have slowly progressed in each of the last 2 years, not gotten worse....right??

You can call me negative if you like, I prefer realistic...but to each his own. I wouldn't talk negative without a good reason.

Old
09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
CDNMarty

Quote:
His age has nothing to do with the start of his career. The start of his career was 3 years ago....more than enough time to develop into a solid NHL goalie, especially since he was apparently NHL ready like some people believe. Thats what bugs me, if he was NHL ready when he came to the Habs then we shouldn't have to see him struggle and get worse season after season. Thats the only problem I have with Price and his adoring fans. If he had improved his record and stats in each of the last 2 years like Halak did....well I'd be raving about Price too and standing behind him 100%....but he didn't so I don't understand why people are going crazy about him and saying he's gonna be awesome....he's done nothing to show that.
He has a career .912 save%, what exactly constitutes a "solid NHL goalie" to you? I agree Halak outplayed him but considering he's gone, that should have no bearing on your view of Price.

Quote:
IF he was NHL ready, he should have slowly progressed in each of the last 2 years, not gotten worse....right??
He had a very good rookie year, had a sophomore slump but he was definitely better last year than his second year. I'd call that progression.

CDNMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
HAHAHAHAA.....sounds like another Price fanboy who prefers to ignore what thousands of people have seen over the past 2 seasons.

I respect people for sticking behind someone no matter how poorly they do, but don't ignore the facts.

Price is not "holding out" for anything. He is an RFA and like anybody else in the free world him and his agent are trying to get the best deal they can for him...just the game as the GM of the team is trying to get the best deal for his team. Not sure how you translate that to him "holding out" on you as a fan.

Christian Hanson just signed with Toronto yesterday...was he "holding out" looking for a huge contract or to be traded?

I agree wholeheartedly that too much was given to CP early on, especially in 07-08 and 08-09...but I'm not sure how that's his fault. As far as I know he didn't go to gainey and asked for Huet to be traded for a draft pick.

Quote:

You can call me negative if you like, I prefer realistic...but to each his own. I wouldn't talk negative without a good reason.
Age plays a huge part in being able to handle money, fame, success and failure. Price's biggest issue since he got to the NHL has nothing to do with physical skills.

To me it's not that he was rushed to the NHL, it's that they annointed him the #1 ast 20 by trading Huet and not having a veteran there for support and to challenge him. Elite athletes need to be challenged to get better. In a market like Montreal taking a 20 year old goalie and plugging him as #1 without a support system is a very bad idea...probably Gianey's worst move ever as GM.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:23 PM
Pleky Roks

Keep the excuses coming!!! I've never seen so many excuses for Price in my life. Everything anybody says negative about Price, whether its true or not, there are hundreds of people making an excuse to defend him.

Most of the excuses make no sense and contradict other comments, but thats ok as long as it makes you guys feel better.

I'm going to be cheering for Price, because he is the Habs starting goalie....there is nothing we can do about that....but I sure as hell don't have to get excited about it. Looking at his track record so far....there is nothing to get excited over.

If he doesn't prove himself this season, he's going to feel so much pressure from the media and fans of Montreal that he'll beg for a trade.

Old
09-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Age plays a huge part in being able to handle money, fame, success and failure. Price's biggest issue since he got to the NHL has nothing to do with physical skills.

To me it's not that he was rushed to the NHL, it's that they annointed him the #1 ast 20 by trading Huet and not having a veteran there for support and to challenge him. Elite athletes need to be challenged to get better. In a market like Montreal taking a 20 year old goalie and plugging him as #1 without a support system is a very bad idea...probably Gianey's worst move ever as GM.

Ok....I'll give you that, but why didn't they send him to Hamilton to learn how to deal with it where there is less pressure then??

I'm not blaming Price for all of his struggles, management had a lot to do with it, but I still see a lot of people on here saying he was NHL ready, well if he was....this shouldn't be an issue and it can't be an excuse either.

Old
09-01-2010, 01:28 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Keep the excuses coming!!! I've never seen so many excuses for Price in my life. Everything anybody says negative about Price, whether its true or not, there are hundreds of people making an excuse to defend him.

Most of the excuses make no sense and contradict other comments, but thats ok as long as it makes you guys feel better.

I'm going to be cheering for Price, because he is the Habs starting goalie....there is nothing we can do about that....but I sure as hell don't have to get excited about it. Looking at his track record so far....there is nothing to get excited over.

If he doesn't prove himself this season, he's going to feel so much pressure from the media and fans of Montreal that he'll beg for a trade.
You make a claim, you get challenged by a bunch of posters, and yet you never can come up with a counter argument. It's called a discussion, and you obviously blow at it, since all u can do is make claims that obviously have no real support. Plus you get all defenisve.

uiCk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:29 PM
JayBee*

LOL @ 2 posters named after Halak and Price arguing about Price.

JayBee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfGom View Post
I really like you as a poster, but I really dislike that line of thought, why should people tolerate wanton stupidity from other people?
Okay so please enlighten me. How do you stop it? Do you think you'd be able to have a manifestation and sing Twister Sister "We're not gonna take it"....do you think it will actually help the fans and medias of this town understand it? Unless you can't change something, you have to tolerate it.

The day this board understand what Montreal, what its fans and what its media are REALLY about, we might be able to deal with it better. Instead, we'll just pretend it's all rosy and stupid things cannot be happening and then be totally outrage of something we didn't expect while it was so obvious it was going to happen.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 09-01-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Ok....I'll give you that, but why didn't they send him to Hamilton to learn how to deal with it where there is less pressure then??

I'm not blaming Price for all of his struggles, management had a lot to do with it, but I still see a lot of people on here saying he was NHL ready, well if he was....this shouldn't be an issue and it can't be an excuse either.
I'll use a swimming analogy to try and make sense of the situation.

You won't lean how to swim sitting on the beach...in other words he won't learn to get used to the fans/media/spotlight/fame/money of being in Montreal by playing in the AHL.

Plus...when learning how to swim it's best to start in shallow water, and with an adult...well the Habs just threw him off the deep end and get rid of the veteran goalie that could have helped him deal with the ups and downs of Montreal/fame/money/media etc.

There is a difference between being NHL ready and being able to be a #1 goalie on a contending team...and in market like Montreal no less. That's like saying Taylor Hall is ready for the NHL so he should score 50 and win a cup for Edmonton. Being ready for the NHL and being ready to play a starring role in the NHL are two very different things.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 09-01-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
OK

Maybe it's just me but it came across differently

I do not get the impression Brule has been hampered in any way in his development. I also can't see what we would have done to make him any better

So far Brule looks like a 3rd line player.

We've been burned a lot drafting WHL forwards. I expected him to be considered at the time but I was not too crazy about taking Brule. The Price pick surprised me, but all second guessing aside, I think we did alright
Anyway, we're going off topic, not that it would be that problematic..., but I'll say that one point where I mentioned Brule should be very careful with is that, his pinball attitude might have worked fine with smaller guys, but he had to be really careful with that in the pros.....Chances are either he didn't listened, either they didn't told him, but he tried it and got injured immediately at the start of his career. But first and foremost, he most DEFINATELY would have needed at least 1 year in the AHL. He didn't. Brule was never a defensive king, so he had to learn that game in the AHL. Also would have needed to be stronger overall. Instead, he went from bottom lines to no icetime in the NHL, playing a lot with less than 10 minutes a game with bottom liners from Columbus, Hitchcock playing in his head etc.

Being more careful with him, with the proper training, would have made him a fine NHL'er.

But anyway, like I mentioned, while I was totally furious of the Price pick, picking Price has nothing to do with him. The guy has the talent and the skills to be a top 5 pick.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:54 PM
SonOfGom

Quote:
Okay so please enlighten me. How do you stop it? Do you think you'd be able to have a manifestation and sing Twister Sister "We're not gonna take it"....do you think it will actually help the fans and medias of this town understand it? Unless you can't change something, you have to tolerate it.

The day this board understand what Montreal, what its fans and what its media are REALLY about, we might be able to deal with it better. Instead, we'll just pretend it's all rosy and stupid things cannot be happening and then be totally outrage of something we didn't expect while it was so obvious it was going to happen.
Just call lapses of critical thinking out when you hear them that's all. It probably won't overturn the waves of silliness, but the laying down while the retards stomp the ground perturbs me. It's asking management to appease people who believe the content of a twit at face value and manage in accordance to their wishes.

Old
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Souvenirs

Quote:

- Your preconceived ideas are influencing your interpretation.
- You overestimate the exactitude of your judgment.
- You think everything you believe automatically makes it the truth.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 02:17 PM
No Team Needed

last time i was in Quebec i had a discussion over hockey with a client and he mentioned how Carey Price at this point was less a hockey player and more a political figure. he represents to many habs fans and Quebec nationalists as western Canadian values and figures being forced down the throats of the Quebec nationalist. i asked if he agreed and he said no because he doesn't let politics interfere with everything else in his life. simple people do though. the montreal canadiens are as much a political party running Canada as the Conservatives are in the hearts of many quebecers. that's where the hate comes from and why the media fuels it. its what Price represents to people, not who he is on the ice.

i dunno if anyone else agrees, but it's an opinion put out there. some feel the habs are losing their Quebec culture in favour of western Canadian culture with no say in the matter.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote