HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

CHL Expansion?

Old
08-10-2010, 04:35 AM
Statsy

vCash: 500
In regards to putting a junior team in Winnipeg, one of the reasons it hasn't happened to this point was an unwritten rule that states the AHL and CHL don't move into each other's markets. It's a rule that was broken this year when the AHL moved into Abbotsford which is in the territory of the Chilliwack Bruins. I would love to see the Dub return the favour in Winterpeg.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
In regards to putting a junior team in Winnipeg, one of the reasons it hasn't happened to this point was an unwritten rule that states the AHL and CHL don't move into each other's markets. It's a rule that was broken this year when the AHL moved into Abbotsford which is in the territory of the Chilliwack Bruins. I would love to see the Dub return the favour in Winterpeg.
It has nothing to do with a written or unwritten rule. The Moose have an ironclad exclusive lease of the MTS Centre which they're not going to veto for a WHL team, and there's nowhere else for a WHL team to play in the 'Peg.

OHLArenaGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 02:12 PM
NorthStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLArenaGuide View Post
It has nothing to do with a written or unwritten rule. The Moose have an ironclad exclusive lease of the MTS Centre which they're not going to veto for a WHL team, and there's nowhere else for a WHL team to play in the 'Peg.
Wait a min.. I know of a new arena that opened somewhere in the west part of Winnipeg.. but I am not sure if it would be variable for a WHL team to play there.. hmm... gotta check into that and see what I can find out..

NorthStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Cornwall

I guess that I would want a team in Cornwall lol. The Royals left because of ownership issues, and the city pretty well pushing them out for a chance at an AHL team. That ended up being a huge debacle as the city owned the team, and after Quebec moved to Colorado, the franchise was shown very little support by Colorado. The city ended up losing a mountain of money on the Cornwall Aces.

Cornwall is an enigma in Ontario. The team struggled when they left the Q because diehard Q fans would travel to Cornwall because of the ease of access. We were supporting a semi-pro team, and a Junior A team at the same time, so we could for sure support an OHL team. Since the OHL was here, we improved the arena with seats all the way to the glass. I am sure that Cornwall is not on the radar for the OHL right now, the only news in last few years was that we were trying to get a Q league team again, but the O vetoed that.

Also Cambridge would not work. I use to attend the University of Guelph, and Cambridge is literally 20 minutes away from Guelph, and like 5 from Kitchener/Waterloo.

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
I guess that I would want a team in Cornwall lol. The Royals left because of ownership issues, and the city pretty well pushing them out for a chance at an AHL team. That ended up being a huge debacle as the city owned the team, and after Quebec moved to Colorado, the franchise was shown very little support by Colorado. The city ended up losing a mountain of money on the Cornwall Aces.

Cornwall is an enigma in Ontario. The team struggled when they left the Q because diehard Q fans would travel to Cornwall because of the ease of access. We were supporting a semi-pro team, and a Junior A team at the same time, so we could for sure support an OHL team. Since the OHL was here, we improved the arena with seats all the way to the glass. I am sure that Cornwall is not on the radar for the OHL right now, the only news in last few years was that we were trying to get a Q league team again, but the O vetoed that.

Also Cambridge would not work. I use to attend the University of Guelph, and Cambridge is literally 20 minutes away from Guelph, and like 5 from Kitchener/Waterloo.
It doesn't mean they couldn't support a team.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2010, 09:06 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
That aside, there's nowhere for them to play in Cambridge. The Galt Arena Gardens is way too small and way too old, and I can't imagine the Cambridge council shelling out for an arena when there are already two competing ones of OHL size in the area, the Aud and the Waterloo Rec Complex.

Old
08-26-2010, 02:50 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Errettung View Post
Cambridge could definitely support a team. There is over 100,000 people in that city, plus the surrounding area. The Rangers and Storm would have a fit over another team in the area. People in Cambridge that enjoy watching great hockey probably already go to Rangers games.

If you want to put another team into Southern Ontario, what about Chatham-Kent. The highest level of hockey there is Junior B, but the area has over 100,000 people. I don't know if they have an arena that meets OHL standards, but seems like a good place to put a team.

I think the OHL should revisit either North Bay or Cornwall, or expand into New York State.

Cornwall OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:10 AM
nags

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
Wait a min.. I know of a new arena that opened somewhere in the west part of Winnipeg.. but I am not sure if it would be variable for a WHL team to play there.. hmm... gotta check into that and see what I can find out..
You mean the Mooseplex? Good luck with that.

nags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:14 AM
JrHockeyFan

Possibilities for the OHL?

US market: First option:Upper state NY or Buffalo area. If Buffalo is a mistake somebody better change the WJC location quick if folks there are not into Jr Hockey. 2nd option: Ohio, Toledo or Cleveland. 3rd: another Michigan team, Kalamazoo, Flint

Canada: (in no particular order) Cornwall, North Bay, Toronto, Brantford, Cambridge, Chatham, Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville,

Some of the above suggestions had teams and failed at the gate in the past. They could not do worse than Brampton or Missy in that regard though. Guess it is all up to what ownership is willing to put up with

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:33 AM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Possibilities for the OHL?

US market: First option:Upper state NY or Buffalo area. If Buffalo is a mistake somebody better change the WJC location quick if folks there are not into Jr Hockey. 2nd option: Ohio, Toledo or Cleveland. 3rd: another Michigan team, Kalamazoo, Flint

Canada: (in no particular order) Cornwall, North Bay, Toronto, Brantford, Cambridge, Chatham, Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville,

Some of the above suggestions had teams and failed at the gate in the past. They could not do worse than Brampton or Missy in that regard though. Guess it is all up to what ownership is willing to put up with
Hockey fans will not fly from all over North America to watch a Buffalo OHL team play, the way they will for a WJC tournament. Just like how Mississauga has the 2nd worst attendance in the OHL despite having a very good team, but will still sell out the Memorial Cup.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 10:35 AM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
Cambridge could definitely support a team. There is over 100,000 people in that city, plus the surrounding area. The Rangers and Storm would have a fit over another team in the area. People in Cambridge that enjoy watching great hockey probably already go to Rangers games.

If you want to put another team into Southern Ontario, what about Chatham-Kent. The highest level of hockey there is Junior B, but the area has over 100,000 people. I don't know if they have an arena that meets OHL standards, but seems like a good place to put a team.

I think the OHL should revisit either North Bay or Cornwall, or expand into New York State.
Chatham doesn't have an arena to support it but I have heard people talk about the possibility of building an arena for the opportunity to have an OHL team. I think they could support one..

My preference if they expanded from 20 to 24..

West: Chatham/Kent
Midwest: Cambridge
Central: North Bay
East: Cornwall

But that's just me.

Default101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM
SaskaToba

What I would like to see is......

QMJHL

The Q only has 1 American team in league so going down to the States IMO is a viable option. The only question is where? Most the US cities in the Q jurisdiction are already the home of an AHL franchise. But my suggestions would be put a team back in St. John's or to Sherbrooke even though its a little close to Drummondville.

OHL

The O has 3 American teams but there are also a fair amount of communities south of the border without any hockey teams at the junior level. If I wanted to put a team in the States i'd toss up between Buffalo or all the way down to Indianapolis as it wouldn't be more than 4 hours of a drive from any team in the Western conference. I think Thunder Bay or North Bay would be ideal but North Bay has already lost a team recently and Thunder is just so effin far.

All though I have made an argument about travel distances in comparison of Brandon, MB - Kootney, BC (same division) in the dub.

WHL

US teams have their own division (5 tms) in the dub so I really wouldn't expect to see anymore teams down there unless one of its exisiting US teams relocate. I would love to see a junior team in Winnipeg but that will only happen if an NHL team comes back to the area. The flip flop would send the Moose to Saskatoon and the Blades to Winnipeg (as per rumor near Olympic break). There is already a lot of teams in the West so I can only see the league expanding east and another option is a former dub team the Flin Flon Bombers. For anyone who has been to a Bomber game in the past the fans are completely behind their community just ask Bobby Clarke.

But back to the US I could see them putting a team somewhere like Bismarck or Minot. (Fargo and Grand Forks are UND country)

Thats just my two cents!

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 03:32 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Dogg View Post
Hockey fans will not fly from all over North America to watch a Buffalo OHL team play, the way they will for a WJC tournament. Just like how Mississauga has the 2nd worst attendance in the OHL despite having a very good team, but will still sell out the Memorial Cup.
Any tournament depends heavily on local interest. In the case of Mississauga and the Memorial Cup, they are relying on local market as well as those other successful markets quite close by. People flying from anywhere are not going to make a tournament a success.

I think that a city the size of Buffalo could match the attendance of half the league quite easily

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 05:03 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Any tournament depends heavily on local interest. In the case of Mississauga and the Memorial Cup, they are relying on local market as well as those other successful markets quite close by. People flying from anywhere are not going to make a tournament a success.

I think that a city the size of Buffalo could match the attendance of half the league quite easily
I don't think it would be easy i have talked to many buffalo residents and most don't thinka team would get good support.As for mississauga i would be shocked if the local community shows a lot of interest.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:45 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I don't think it would be easy i have talked to many buffalo residents and most don't thinka team would get good support.As for mississauga i would be shocked if the local community shows a lot of interest.

Because the measure of whether a hockey-mad city of over a million people will support junior hockey is that couple of dudes you talked to were blasé about it?

Old
09-01-2010, 03:08 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow67 View Post

OHL

The O has 3 American teams but there are also a fair amount of communities south of the border without any hockey teams at the junior level. If I wanted to put a team in the States i'd toss up between Buffalo or all the way down to Indianapolis as it wouldn't be more than 4 hours of a drive from any team in the Western conference. I think Thunder Bay or North Bay would be ideal but North Bay has already lost a team recently and Thunder is just so effin far.
How fast do you drive or it that fly?

Kitchener to Indy is 8 hours plus border crossing.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:48 PM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post

I missed that one. I drove from London to Indianapolis in July and it took seven hours easily, not including an hour at the Blue Water Bridge. It's way too far for an OHL team to travel.

Old
09-01-2010, 07:53 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:

Because the measure of whether a hockey-mad city of over a million people will support junior hockey is that couple of dudes you talked to were blasé about it?
If there is a OHL Expansion, I would have to assume that Buffalo would be up there.

They have a good base of talent and a ready to go rink.

Tigers1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Ward Cornell

I'm going to throw a city (region) in here that hasn't been discussed but it will need a deep pocket resident (there are plenty here).
It has a rich hockey history with a mid size rink available and it would solve the NY state need for the OHL to protect their "area".

Lake Placid

But yes, the Buffalo area would be much better.

Ward Cornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 02:11 PM
SaskaToba

Quote:

Yeah I never took the border cross into consideration but even so, 7-8 hours isn't that bad if you make comparisons to the WHL.

Old
09-02-2010, 03:52 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

The thread had about 24 posts 22 out of the 24 said they did not think it would work.Lets not forget many thought the icedogs and battilon would be huge hit and attendance would not be a issue.Some said the gta is the best hockey market major will have no issues that did not happen attendance has been a issue.Now could buffalo be better then the gta its possible it would not be a lock but its possible.

Tigers19092
I doubt it would be a expnason team i can't see expnason happening any time soon.If buffalo gets a team i think it would be a relocated team.

Last edited by wjhl2009fan: 09-02-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old
09-02-2010, 07:56 PM
SaskaToba

Don't mean to sound racist by any means... but in Brampton and Mississauga, white people are the minority and in higher levels there tends to be a lot more white players than other races. That goes to show interest by location beats out population 9 times out of 10.

Old
09-03-2010, 04:01 AM
mpir3

Quote:
I'm going to throw a city (region) in here that hasn't been discussed but it will need a deep pocket resident (there are plenty here).
It has a rich hockey history with a mid size rink available and it would solve the NY state need for the OHL to protect their "area".

Lake Placid

But yes, the Buffalo area would be much better.
I would say Lake Placid or Glens Falls after the AHL leaves again... Only problem would be they are alot closer to the Q. New York state should be split in half

mpir3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 07:09 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow67 View Post
Don't mean to sound racist by any means... but in Brampton and Mississauga, white people are the minority and in higher levels there tends to be a lot more white players than other races. That goes to show interest by location beats out population 9 times out of 10.
In toronto's gase i don't think thats the reason.Some not all but a fair amount who are leaf fans care less about any other hockey.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:11 AM
OHLArenaGuide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
The thread had about 24 posts 22 out of the 24 said they did not think it would work.Lets not forget many thought the icedogs and battilon would be huge hit and attendance would not be a issue.Some said the gta is the best hockey market major will have no issues that did not happen attendance has been a issue.Now could buffalo be better then the gta its possible it would not be a lock but its possible.
In addition to not speaking English, apparently you can't count. Five people in this thread mention Buffalo and three are in favour. Not that support on an internet message board means anything.