HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone Ever Seen This Gem from the Past?

Old
09-01-2010, 03:23 PM
habs93

vCash: 500
Bruins made an interesting move for that game two - In game one they won with Gerry Cheevers but maybe they were over confident since they finished so far in the regular season standings ahead of Montreal and put their other goalie in Eddie Johnston their backup & lost and it was a series that went seven games.........

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:24 PM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

I'm sure this has been asked: Is there anywhere we can find full game footage of the 70's games?

I called CBC TV last Friday and received a lot of help from the girl there who said that some games have been released to the public, but the rest are not released.

Anyone know where or if there are full game DVD's or any coverage?

Limewire?

Thanks....

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
Hab-a-maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
This video should be used as perspective.

Imagine this had happened today. Same game. Price was in net. We'd be demanding his head despite the win. Dryden had an OK career despite this horrid game.

And if Subban made a play like Orr did on the Richard goal, 2 goals and 2 helpers notwithstanding, half the board would want to trade him for a 2nd round pick.
You're right on that, but Dryden wasn't even horrid in this one. He played much worse in game 1 of the Summit Series and game 7 against Boston in '79. Tretiak, who had a fine career internationally, is often praised for his 1972 performance but really, he was only good in the Canadian portion. I've watched the games in Russia for that and he was a sieve. Phil Esposito said he was one of the worst goalies he faced. Now, true it was a bad patch but Tretiak was also just 20. His 1972 summit series is a lot like Price's 2008 playoffs- an impressive, age-defying start and then a shaky collapse at the end. Now here in this '71 game, based on the equipment and style of goaltending of the time, Dryden probably only could have stopped Orr's first goal and the McKenzie turnaround one.

Orr's 2nd went off something off to the side, Green's was a nice re-direction on the rush and Cashman's was a superb passing play banged in at the side. Johnston looked worse to me, kind of too deep in his net on the first Beliveau goal, fooled by a stoppable backhander on Beliveau's 2nd, frozen like a statue on the Fergie game winner and not doing much to try and save Mahovlich's insurance goal. Dryden was 2/5, Johnston was 4/7 (Cournoyer outwaited him, Richard fooled him nicely and Lemaire placed a perfect shot on him). The '71 Bruins were like an even more talent-laden version of the Caps team we upset (our biggest upset since '71 really) but back then without the cap and with expansion, you could load up and make a team like that. Dryden's G.A.A. in the series was well over 3.00 but based on chances and shot totals he faced, his sv% must've been at least .910, which were sick numbers considering the Bruins AVERAGED 5.5 goals a game that year

I believe one of the Habs late 50s teams could've done 399 goals with slapshots from curved sticks, the 8 extra games and piddly expansion teams with inferior talent, but the fact remains that the Bruins of 1970-71 were supposed to steamroll and be crowned "Greatest single season team in NHL History." It's funny because the Bruins were the same in 1929-30 when they lost just 5 of 44 games and yet, we won the cup that year too. Then came the 1976-77 Habs and all arguments should end there. Back to the goaltending, well you know Dryden did face criticism and got booed himself. It happens to all of them, even Roy. Forget the 9 goal explosion before the hook, he was booed at home in the '92 playoffs after a subpar showing in Boston's game 1 win of the div. finals 6-4. They booed him sometimes during 92-93 when his GAA skyrocketed over 3. Price is not unique in this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABIMUS-MAXIMUS View Post
I'm sure this has been asked: Is there anywhere we can find full game footage of the 70's games?

I called CBC TV last Friday and received a lot of help from the girl there who said that some games have been released to the public, but the rest are not released.

Anyone know where or if there are full game DVD's or any coverage?

Limewire?

Thanks....
I've yet to see anything anywhere that broadcasts or distributes any Hab game between 1969 (playoff game against the Bruins won in double OT by Beliveau) and 1975 (Soviet Red Army game). Seems there is a huge gap missing from the Habs 1971 and 1973 cup runs. Only footage widely seen is old NHL film productions.

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:29 PM
habs93

The 1975 Red Army Game is in The 10 Greatest Games of The Montreal Canadiens DVD Series........

habs93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Leo Getz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs93 View Post
Bruins made an interesting move for that game two - In game one they won with Gerry Cheevers but maybe they were over confident since they finished so far in the regular season standings ahead of Montreal and put their other goalie in Eddie Johnston their backup & lost and it was a series that went seven games.........
I have read somewhere (I'm sure it was in 100 years of Glory), that the coach promised Johnston a game for whatever reason. I know there was a story behind it but I don't have the book with me and I don't just want to be making up stories.

Leo Getz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:15 AM
BobbyShehan

I was 10 and clearly remember telling my dear dear grandfather that Bobby Sheehan (#24) would become a faster player than Cournoyer!!!

BobbyShehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:39 AM
Haberdashery

My oldest sister never forgave Harry Sinden for playing Johnston instead of Cheevers in that game. She was teasing the crap out of me when they went up 5-1 (she of course loved Bobby Orr), but by the time it was 5-4 she stopped watching the game. I was only 7 at the time, but I really rubbed it in.

that of course was the pivotal part of the series - I remember being sad when it was over though because Beliveau was retiring and I was just starting to truly appreciate the game..... I remember how good he was in that series though - at 39 he was still one of the top playoff performers in the league.

I'm going to watch this clip and enjoy it.... should bring back some memories - thanks for posting this.

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 05:04 AM
SherbrookeW

Worst of Hab-fan hockey memories: I turned it off after the Bruins went up five-one. It was just too depressing. Best of all hockey memories. Finding out from a sister's friend the next morning that they had come back. Swore never to miss, or evade, another big game, and haven't for forty years.
Watching the highlights now two surprising things : I had forgotten how dominant a player Jean B. still was, even at that late stage of his career. And ,yes, the goaltending of the time really did suck in retrospect. Probably nothing has changed in any sport quite as much as the quality of goaltending in the NHL between then and now, keyed, I suppose, by Roy and the "butterfly revolution" of the mid-eighties. (Though Tony Esposito, who the Habs beat later that year -- anyone got game seven of that series?-- did play a version of it, though one that left the upper half of the net unprotected , as Jacque Lemaire would show in that seventh game of the final.)

SherbrookeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:04 PM
HABIMUS-MAXIMUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs93 View Post
The 1975 Red Army Game is in The 10 Greatest Games of The Montreal Canadiens DVD Series........
Are these complete games??

HABIMUS-MAXIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 05:34 PM
Ranger Angst

Quote:
Originally Posted by SherbrookeW View Post
Worst of Hab-fan hockey memories: I turned it off after the Bruins went up five-one. It was just too depressing. Best of all hockey memories. Finding out from a sister's friend the next morning that they had come back. Swore never to miss, or evade, another big game, and haven't for forty years.
My dad told me to go to bed at 5-1 , that they weren't coming back. Woke me up when it was 5-5 -great dad. Thanks TS for finding this. truly a gem. BTW have you ever seen footage of the Fergie-Green fight ? Never seen this anywhere . One of the all-time fights in the NHL.

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote