HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

What are the lines going to be next year?

Old
08-17-2010, 10:37 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Shelley will score 6 or more goals this year. He will not be healthy scratch, for the most part, unless he flat out stinks the joint up. Playoffs will depend on how he played during the year.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2010, 03:31 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I can't possibly see Hartnell-Briere-Leino being broken up until they stink it up.
Why not? I sure can. The line clicked in the playoffs, get over it. The team has changed since then. Gagne-Richards is split up, Carter is healthy, and our lines will be shifted. Lavi will not force Richie or Carter to play with junk just to keep the H-B-L line together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
I do not think Briere is capable playing center for 82 regular season games. Thats why I think this line will be taken apart at some point during the season.
Agreed, it will be gone in pre-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Oh, I certainly agree there. Hell, every line is broken up at some point. I just don't get why people are breaking it up before training camp even happens. Once they struggle, it will be broken up, but not until then.
It will break up in training camp. This thread is about line combos for next YEAR, not just the pre-season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartsiephan View Post
Does it really matter in regards to Carters health, even when healthy he has failed to show up as needed. And regular season is not different, when he wants to score he scores a ppg, when he doesn't he is invisible for a guy with his talent. Stop making excuses.
This is not right at all. Carter tries very hard, people just hate him here because he is not Mike Richards and plays a different type of game. He is quick with a powerful shot (which is why he was so ineffective in the playoffs on two bad feet), but people here want him to be something he is not, a dominant on ice power forward.

Hartnell-Richards-Zherdev (defacto top line, Richards playmaker for Zherdev, the shooter, while Harts sits in front of the net)
JVR-Carter-Briere (secondary scoring, JVR is the powerforward where Carter and Briere dominate puck possession, JVR has to learn his role and know where to be without the puck, Carter and Briere also swap positions a lot on the ice)
Leino-Giroux-Powe/Carcillo (gives Giroux open space and Leino a chance to play with a playmaker, Powe and Carcillo can swap)
Carcillo/Powe-Betts-Lappy (standard 4th line)
Shelley (sub in 4th line for injuries and such

I can see Hartnell and JVR swapping if Hartnell needs to be with Briere and Carts again and JVR proves he can handle ice time. JVR is on a stict conditioning regimen this offseason I believe.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Doyle

Dave Strehle of NHL Hot Stove breaks down the defensive pairings:

http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-defens...ve-invaluable/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:32 PM
LightningBurrows
ThreatLevelMidnight

vCash: 93
Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Giroux
Leino-Betts-Van Riemsdyk
Carcillo-Powe-Laperriere
Shelley

Pronger-Timonen
Carle-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell

Walker,Bartulis

Leighton
Boucher

LightningBurrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2010, 06:33 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoIginla View Post
Zherdev-Richards-Carter
Hartnell-Briere-Giroux
Leino-Betts-Van Riemsdyk
Carcillo-Powe-Laperriere
Shelley

Pronger-Timonen
Carle-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell

Walker,Bartulis

Leighton
Boucher
Not a chance. Betts is a shut-down defense forward. Putting him on a line with JVR and Leino would be a terrible idea.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:09 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Okay, with the dust settled and most likely all the players are on board -- unless there is movement to upgrade goal and Cap adjustment is needed -- and assuming nobody blows Lavvy's and/or Homer's socks off at camp... also assuming that Betts is ready to play... without sorting through the previous 255 posts here is what I'm seeing with one extra forward and two extra D-men.

JvR - Carter - Giroux
Leino - Beiere - Hartnell
Carcillo - Richards - Zherdev
Powe - Betts - Lappy (with Bettsy out: insert Kalinski)
(Shelly)

Pronger/Carle
Timonen/Coburn
Maszaros/O'Donnell
(Walker - Bartulis)

It has become apparent to me that the 3rd and forth line depth/flexibility has greatly diminished... to a point where either a capable forth line player can step up from the A or the upper lines are juggled and a winger from the Phantoms can fill in for someone like CarBomb who could play 4th line wing... Powe could play center if it is Betts who is out.

Not to beat the proverbial dead horse but, Asham out and Shelly in disrupts the depth and flexibility as I see it... When Shelley dresses he will have to be able to handle a regular shift on the 4th line or step up to the 3rd and possibly alter a couple lines in the process. I no longer see as much of a balance in the lines as there has been in the past... and there is little to no depth in case of injury outside of a Phantom grabbing the moment, or Shelley being a better and more responsible player than we are giving him credit for. It looks to like we could at times be seeing once again the few minute goon and double shifting wingers.

I'm hoping that Camp proves a surprise promotion or tryout and the ability to fit him in under the Cap... Or Homer signs a Wayne Primeau type player and fits him in.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-29-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 12:34 PM
mirimon

Claude Giroux - Mike Richards - Ville Leino
James van Riemsdyk - Jeff Carter - Daniel Carcillo
Scott Hartnell - Daniel Brière - Nikolai Zherdev
Darroll Powe - Blair Betts - Ian Laperrière

Chris Pronger - Matt Carle
Kimmo Timonen - Braydon Coburn
Sean O'Donnell - Andrei Meszaros

were the last lines I came up with when I tinkered with this instead of focusing on more important things...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Claude Giroux - Mike Richards - Ville Leino
James van Riemsdyk - Jeff Carter - Daniel Carcillo
Scott Hartnell - Daniel Brière - Nikolai Zherdev
Darroll Powe - Blair Betts - Ian Laperrière

Chris Pronger - Matt Carle
Kimmo Timonen - Braydon Coburn
Sean O'Donnell - Andrei Meszaros

were the last lines I came up with when I tinkered with this instead of focusing on more important things...
I'm hoping that Leino and Briere would stay together and have the same chemistry they had in the postseason with Hartnell... That said, what is hot at one point gets cold at others. The intensity of the playoffs may have allowed them to knock it up a notch... but I would be happy with mere mortal stats from them over the course of a season, and I would expect up and down stretches.

A concern I would have with Zherdev in place of Leino is the defensive side of the line... Danny is not a natural two-way player and on a day in, day out basis I don't expect him to be able to tend to the offense if he has to worry about covering for a winger. I'd rather he have wingers on both sides who play good defense... His wingers have to be responsible in their own end, IMO; I don't buy into Zherdev's claim to have seen the light on the D-side... not yet anyway, I'd have to see him play in Lavvy's fast paced system before I'm sold. That is why I like the idea of Richards covering for him.

The reason I have Giroux with Carter rather than Carcillo is because I believe he could set up Carter better... and Carcillo had decent chemistry with Richiel. I like JvR with Carter and Giroux... I see a lot of goals coming from them.

To be honest, I like the top nine... if CarBomb can keep it together and Zherdev pans out... and like the bottom three if Betts is there, as long as Powe plays instead of Shelly... but, as I said, I think that the depth is crap and a long term injury screws up the entire team. I'd rather carry another veteran forward and have Bartulis play with the Phantoms. Seven veteran D-men is plenty... and I'm not thrilled with the forward call-ups and Shelley taking up a roster spot. I was hoping that with Cote gone they could improve their depth much more than they have... but with Asham gone, they are weaker, IMO. And with Gagne gone they lost the two way player who can play in every situation... Zherdev cannot replace Gagne no matter how many goals he scores as I see it.

I'm getting pumped up for the start of Camp... I just hope Homer hasn't finished tinkering quite yet.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 08:28 AM
Cartsiephan*

Had a change of thought on this...

JvR-Richards-Giroux- Skill, talent, and the tools to be a top line in the NHL for years to come, get it started now.
Hartnell-Briere-Leino-After the playoffs you have to keep these guys together.
Carcillo-Carter-Zherdev-Sink or swim boys, this is the reclamation line for Homer, can it work?
Shelley-Betts-Laperriere-Best 4th line possibly in the NHL, people are going to be a bit surprised at Shelley.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 09:53 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Why not? I sure can. The line clicked in the playoffs, get over it. The team has changed since then. Gagne-Richards is split up, Carter is healthy, and our lines will be shifted. Lavi will not force Richie or Carter to play with junk just to keep the H-B-L line together.
I agree they will be split up at some point and possibly sooner rather than later. The reality is that every line changes 15 times throughout the season because of a losing streak, exposure of a weakness, line matching, or injuries. Briere Giroux and Powe were the best line of the short playoffs 2 seasons ago, and they didn't play together really at all last year. I totally loved the Leino Briere Hartnell line but I fear their poor D will be exposed and a quick change will be made. Lets also remember that Hartnell stepped up his game in the playoffs, Briere is an absolutely amazing playoff performer and Leino was (unfortunately) most likely overperforming on a hot streak.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:00 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
This was what I was hoping for:

Gagne ($5.250m) / Richards ($5.750m) / Carter ($5.000m)
Hartnell ($4.200m) / Briere ($6.500m) / Leino ($0.800m)
van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Giroux ($0.821m) / Carcillo ($1.075m)
Laperriere ($1.166m) / Betts ($0.700m) / Powe ($0.725m)
Park ($0.600m)

Carle ($3.437m) / Pronger ($4.921m)
Coburn ($3.200m) / Timonen ($6.333m)
O'Donnell ($1.300m) / Corvo ($2.250m)
Bartulis ($0.600m)

Leighton ($1.550m) / Niittymaki ($2.000m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,834,763; BONUSES: $937,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $502,737

one positive about our roster this year is we have no buy-outs, re-entry waiver claims, or anyone on LTIR (ie: Rathje)

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2010, 04:33 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
What I was hoping for.

Carcillo traded for picks Bartulis on Phantoms

FORWARDS
Simon Gagne ($5.250m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Nikolai Zherdev ($2.000m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($0.800m)
Claude Giroux ($0.821m) / Jeff Carter ($5.000m) / James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m)
Ian Laperriere ($1.166m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.725m)
Brian McGrattan ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Matt Carle ($3.437m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Andy Sutton ($2.125m) / Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m)
Braydon Coburn ($3.200m) / Mike Weaver ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Chris Mason ($1.850m) /Michael Leighton ($1.550m)

SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,384,763; BONUSES: $637,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $652,737

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 12:59 PM
Bauer4

i'm not sure if most people who've posted this topic watched every flyer game last year, let alone the finals

anybody with any hockey sense knows you do not split up Leino, Briere, Hartnell
one person who already stated this in an interview was Laviolette

anybody that thinks carcillo should have a top six role is retarded,
Richards gives hard, crisp passes, and Carcillo cannot accept a pass to save his life

i'm praying holmgren has one more trade up his sleeve before the season starts, preferably carter

I don't care how many goals a player scores in the first half of the season, watch how many defensemen wake up and start blocking shots when their team is fighting for a playoff spot, injury or not, Carter has done nothing in the past 3 playoff years

Bauer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer4 View Post
i'm not sure if most people who've posted this topic watched every flyer game last year, let alone the finals

Richards gives hard, crisp passes, and Carcillo cannot accept a pass to save his life

i'm praying holmgren has one more trade up his sleeve before the season starts, preferably carter
Ok, make up your mind. First you claim Lavy's commitment to keeping the Briere line together is proof it's a good idea.

Well, Lavy is the one who consistently praises Carcillo and put him on Richards' line in the first place - and intends to use him in the same role again this year.

And Lavy is the one who intends to use Carter as his first line centre and constantly praises his two-way ability to be a workhorse, play top minutes and produce offense.....

Is Lavy only right some of the time? You can't really pick and choose...

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:45 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

I don't care how many goals a player scores in the first half of the season, watch how many defensemen wake up and start blocking shots when their team is fighting for a playoff spot, injury or not, Carter has done nothing in the past 3 playoff years
3 posts in and you are already on 50 peoples ignore lists.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:22 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
3 posts in and you are already on 50 peoples ignore lists.
I was going to give him a chance to repent, otherwise he joins the Black 86......

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
hackeynight

Here is a look at what we believe the Flyers lines and lineup will be looking like.

You guy's have a stacked team top to bottom, what do you think? Right, wrong, close?

hackeynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Kaktus*

Quote:
injury or not, Carter has done nothing in the past 3 playoff years
You do not care if player was injured or not? I guess you did not give a **** when Lappy got hurt, right?

And you did not care when Timonen had blood clot a few seasons back came back but could not play on the same level, right?

When Carter was not injured he scored 11pts in 17 playoff games.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 09-03-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote