HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs came 1st for Cammalleri when he was UFA

Old
09-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Dark Knight

vCash: 500
I think Toronto screwed this one up, personally. I've heard vague statements from Cammy and Nonis with regards to what they talked about when they met up on July 1st.

09-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Haberdashery

If you READ the article - it's speculation on the writer's part.... he even uses the word "apparently"....

Cammy went down to talk to the Leafs with his agent first because...well...he lives in Toronto. Montreal talks to him later in the day, he gets offered more money - he chooses Montreal. If he really, really wanted to play in Toronto..he likely would have accepted one less year on his contract at the same salary per year
...obviously he didn't mind the prospect of playing in Mtl either.

Then the reporter speculates that Cammy wasn't Burkie's type of player - yeah...okay.

Burke dislikes character players who train like crazy, are affable with teammates and the media, are great locker room guys, and who score clutch goals. Instead he picks up other team's cancers like Kessel and Phaneuf and drafts the likes of Kadri...one of the least popular players in the OOL with teammates in both London and before that Kitchener.

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
number 11

i guess we'd be pissed if a born and raised montrealer signed in toronto too. oh well.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:12 AM
phoque taupe

vCash: 152
from http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Columnists.../15203211.html

'As he has done since arriving, general manager Burke advertised for size and toughness and apparently thought the 5-foot-9 185-pound centre couldn't deliver those attributes.'

uh whut

phoque taupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Marc BargainBin
only on playstation

Send a message via Skype™ to Marc BargainBin
Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post

'As he has done since arriving, general manager Burke advertised for size and toughness and apparently thought the 5-foot-9 185-pound centre couldn't deliver those attributes.'

uh whut
he's playing too much nhl10 lately

Marc BargainBin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post
I think Toronto screwed this one up, personally. I've heard vague statements from Cammy and Nonis with regards to what they talked about when they met up on July 1st.
Care to elaborate?

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:40 AM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Yeah, I heard about this last year.

I'd be funny to hear all the reasons why any player just doesn't sign with their favorite team.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:46 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

So the Leafs lost again, what else is new?

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haberdashery View Post
If you READ the article - it's speculation on the writer's part.... he even uses the word "apparently"....

Cammy went down to talk to the Leafs with his agent first because...well...he lives in Toronto. Montreal talks to him later in the day, he gets offered more money - he chooses Montreal. If he really, really wanted to play in Toronto..he likely would have accepted one less year on his contract at the same salary per year
...obviously he didn't mind the prospect of playing in Mtl either.

Then the reporter speculates that Cammy wasn't Burkie's type of player - yeah...okay.

Burke dislikes character players who train like crazy, are affable with teammates and the media, are great locker room guys, and who score clutch goals. Instead he picks up other team's cancers like Kessel and Phaneuf and drafts the likes of Kadri...one of the least popular players in the OOL with teammates in both London and before that Kitchener.
Great post, and your avatar is one of my favorite albums, good stuff.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Habsland35

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post

uh whut
he used to play center bak in LA..but when he got to Cal they used him on the wing...he clearly said though at the beginning of last year he preferred playing wing

Habsland35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:21 AM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm. I seem to recall Cammy saying he did not want to play in the same place that was "home". That was why he passed on Toronto

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 02:33 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I thought he didn't want to sign with the Leafs because he already spends his summers in Toronto, or something.

Well who cares how it happened in the end. We got a great player and the Leafs wound up with Tyler Seguin, which is pretty good too.

Oh wait
Yeah, I heard that too, except it came from Greg Millen's mouth, so who knows...

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slave View Post
The leafs were going after the sedins. If I remember correctly, Burke was on an airplane destined for Sweden on July 1st. I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe Cammy didnt feel very good about being a sort of backup plan. Alternatively, he was THE GUY in Montreal.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto

His first choice was to stay in Calgary, thank god for Sutter.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

LOL who cares...$20 says Beauchemin wanted to sign with Montreal before the Leafs.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Sined
The AndroidBugler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
The leafs were going after the sedins. If I remember correctly, Burke was on an airplane destined for Sweden on July 1st. I'm just throwing this out there, but maybe Cammy didnt feel very good about being a sort of backup plan. Alternatively, he was THE GUY in Montreal.
Damn imagine the Sedins turned down the the Vancouver offer and Burkie scooped up the Sedins and Cammalleri.

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yeah, pretty sure Burke wanted to spend two top picks for Kessel instead of sacrificing nothing in player value to get Cammy.

Makes a whole lot of sense.

To me, the Kessel signing was proof Cammy was the one who refused to go to TO. Not Burke.
I agree, unless Brian Burke is just that bad at asset management. I would like to think for Burkes sake it was Cammy who refused to go to TO.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:20 PM
THE HOFF

Kessel

or

cammalleri , seguin , and a 1rst ?

... considering cammalleri > Kessel ... that sounds like an epic fail to me. no matter how you slice it, kessel has to be nothing short of phenomenal for burke not to look life a fool.

can't see the logic of not signing cammalleri in their case, turn around and trade 2 possible lottery picks for kessel.

Last edited by THE HOFF: 09-01-2010 at 03:26 PM.
THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Haberdashery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Great post, and your avatar is one of my favorite albums, good stuff.
Hey thanks - nice to see another Habs fans out there who appreciate some underdogs like the Kinks.

They were banned from US radio from 1966 to 1970, then merely proceeded to put out several of the best rock albums in history that no one ever heard at the time, and I'm almost ashamed to say, I never heard much of until recently.

Mind you I have been playing their best albums constantly since hearing them in totality.... GVSP, Arthur, Something Else, Muswell Hillbillies, Face to Face......those albums compare to Who, Floyd, Stones and Beatles releases from that period if not surpass them (I think they're better personally)......Ray Davies was/is England's poet laureate as Pete Townsend once proclaimed.

I think Davies is the greatest English rock songwriter of all time, and that's saying a lot..... many of rock's greatest songwriters have come from Britain IMO, including his contemporaries Lennon and McCartney, Jagger, Jones and Richards, Barrett and Waters, etc. What set Ray apart from those guys is he penned pretty much every Kinks song, and still does to this day...Dave had a few songs, and some were pretty good, but at least 90 per cent of the songs were Ray's.

His wry sense of humour, melodies and English references have influenced pretty much every English rock band in the past 40 years, including in particular personal favourites XTC and The Jam...but there's all sorts of others...I hear lots of stuff from Kinks albums that has since been borrowed by more recent bands as well, including eerily similar songs or chord structures from bands like Oasis and Blur.

For anyone who likes 'British rock, or good rock period - you have to listen to those Kinks albums I mentioned above ...in particular VGPS, Arthur and Something Else....I implore you lol.

Haberdashery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
His first choice was to stay in Calgary, thank god for Sutter.
Exactly. Calgary let him walk or he would never have hit the market. When he did, Montreal made the right offer and got the player. Toronto didn't. Fin d'histoire.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 05:33 PM
ChoseLa

You telling me that Burke prefered to trade his two first round picks and then save 500 000$ to sign Kessel? A great hockey mind.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE HOFF View Post

Kessel

or

cammalleri , seguin , and larsson ?

fixed. lol

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 05:37 PM
jamz

So Burke chose Kessel over Cammalleri + Seguin + Knight + their first in 2012...

jamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:10 PM
ReVeuF

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamz View Post
So Burke chose Kessel over Cammalleri + Seguin + Knight + their first in 2012...
What a ripoff when you see it like that

ReVeuF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
LOL who cares...$20 says Beauchemin wanted to sign with Montreal before the Leafs.
20$ says he couldn't give less of a **** about Montreal.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote