HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Does Niemi hate Philly

Old
09-01-2010, 04:10 PM
DenverBoone

vCash: 500
Does Niemi hate Philly

Seems like we could have dumped enough salary to make 1 year, 2 million work.

DenverBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Hollywood Couturier

We didn't want him. Those words were spoken by Shooter.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Jester

The better question you should be asking: Does Homer hate us?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Amateur Hour

What? I don't think this has anything to do with Niemi hating Philly. It's not like we offered him a contract and he said no. I think the title of this thread should be, "Does Holmgren hate Philly?"

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:14 PM
JCameron418

Niemi is overrated

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Niemi is overrated

By whom?

He just won a Stanley Cup and signed a one-year, $2M deal.

I'd gladly take a 26-year old Cup winning goalie for $2m/season.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:17 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
We didn't want him. Those words were spoken by Shooter.
Wilson said the same....

"Make no mistake, we're very pleased with the goaltenders we have in our system and they'll be given an opportunity."

Guess he forgot to say one will be given the opportunity to start in the AHL and the other the opportunity to fight for a starting job in the NHL

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:40 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
Wilson said the same....

"Make no mistake, we're very pleased with the goaltenders we have in our system and they'll be given an opportunity."

Guess he forgot to say one will be given the opportunity to start in the AHL and the other the opportunity to fight for a starting job in the NHL
It's laughable to compare Wilson to Homer. They're both kind of idiots, but Homer has made it extremely clear that he's fine with what he has.

We have little cap space, Homer has openly said that he's fine with what he has, and Homer hasn't pursued a new goalie for the entirety of free agency. His only goalie moves were offering Nabokov and Turco one contract each before the off-season even started and then re-signing Leighton. That's it. Homer hasn't shown, during the entire off-season, that he was dedicated to finding a new goalie.

Wilson was obviously dedicated to bringing in goalies. He let Nabokov go and signed both Niitty and Niemi. Which is puzzling because he now has three NHL goalies signed.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

By whom?

He just won a Stanley Cup and signed a one-year, $2M deal.

I'd gladly take a 26-year old Cup winning goalie for $2m/season.
Theres more to it than that. The Blackhawks had a very deep offense, and an extremely good defense. Much of Neimi's success can be attributed to the players in-front of him. The Flyers roasted him during the Finals, and with how quickly he went to the ice things could've been worse if it weren't for the Hawks defense.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 04:50 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It's laughable to compare Wilson to Homer. They're both kind of idiots, but Homer has made it extremely clear that he's fine with what he has.

We have little cap space, Homer has openly said that he's fine with what he has, and Homer hasn't pursued a new goalie for the entirety of free agency. His only goalie moves were offering Nabokov and Turco one contract each before the off-season even started and then re-signing Leighton. That's it. Homer hasn't shown, during the entire off-season, that he was dedicated to finding a new goalie.

Wilson was obviously dedicated to bringing in goalies. He let Nabokov go and signed both Niitty and Niemi. Which is puzzling because he now has three NHL goalies signed.
well it sounded like Wilson was fine with his goalie tandem too, but went and did this. San Jose didn't need another goalie, they needed a defensemen. Now they have no cap space to go out and get a defensemen, unless they try and trade one of the 3, which is probably likely

Old
09-01-2010, 04:52 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Theres more to it than that. The Blackhawks had a very deep offense, and an extremely good defense. Much of Neimi's success can be attributed to the players in-front of him. The Flyers roasted him during the Finals, and with how quickly he went to the ice things could've been worse if it weren't for the Hawks defense.
Huet had a 2.50 GAA and a 0.895 SV% in 48 games with the Hawks in the regular season last year. Niemi had a 2.25 GAA and a 0.912 SV% in 39 games.

Same team, big difference in numbers. I'll take Niemi for $2M any day of the week.

Old
09-01-2010, 05:05 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Whatever

Is Niemi overrated? Probably.

Is Niemi better than Michael Leighton? Absolutely.

Anyone want to rehash when Paul said that Niemi was getting offers way above his arbitration award? And all the people who believed him?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 05:34 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
well it sounded like Wilson was fine with his goalie tandem too, but went and did this. San Jose didn't need another goalie, they needed a defensemen. Now they have no cap space to go out and get a defensemen, unless they try and trade one of the 3, which is probably likely
I just explained to you, in the very post you responded to, why Homer isn't comparable to Wilson here. Homer isn't going to get another goalie this off-season. He just isn't.

The Sharks aren't gonna trade anyone. They just signed both Niitty and Niemi so they're not likely leaving. No one is in the market for a goalie.

They're gonna likely waive Greiss. Even Sharks fans themselves think that is what's going to happen.

Quote:
Huet had a 2.50 GAA and a 0.895 SV% in 48 games with the Hawks in the regular season last year. Niemi had a 2.25 GAA and a 0.912 SV% in 39 games.

Same team, big difference in numbers. I'll take Niemi for $2M any day of the week.
It's pointless to bring up Huet to make Niemi look good. Huet isn't a legit NHL goalie anymore. Which is why he posted abysmal stats on a SC winner and is going to be playing in Europe.

Niemi is an average goalie who posted average to below average stats on a stacked team.

That said, I think about ninety percent of knowledgeable Flyers fans would take Niemi at 2 mil over what we have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Whatever

Is Niemi overrated? Probably.

Is Niemi better than Michael Leighton? Absolutely.

Anyone want to rehash when Paul said that Niemi was getting offers way above his arbitration award? And all the people who believed him?
Yeah, I think Homer has made it absolutely clear ever since he re-signed Leighton that he hasn't been looking for a goalie. I don't know why anyone is hoping otherwise.

Old
09-01-2010, 05:41 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
It's pointless to bring up Huet to make Niemi look good. Huet isn't a legit NHL goalie anymore. Which is why he posted abysmal stats on a SC winner and is going to be playing in Europe.
The only reason Huet is in Europe is due to the horrible contract handed to him by Dale Tallon.

Old
09-01-2010, 05:44 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
I just explained to you, in the very post you responded to, why Homer isn't comparable to Wilson here. Homer isn't going to get another goalie this off-season. He just isn't.

The Sharks aren't gonna trade anyone. They just signed both Niitty and Niemi so they're not likely leaving. No one is in the market for a goalie.

They're gonna likely waive Greiss. Even Sharks fans themselves think that is what's going to happen.

Niemi is an average goalie who posted average to below average stats on a stacked team.

That said, I think about ninety percent of knowledgeable Flyers fans would take Niemi at 2 mil over what we have.

Yeah, I think Homer has made it absolutely clear ever since he re-signed Leighton that he hasn't been looking for a goalie. I don't know why anyone is hoping otherwise.
They didnt need another goalie. They needed defense. Look at their defense, it blows. Niemi and Nitty are going to get lit up all day.

Old
09-01-2010, 06:04 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Actually people talk down on Niemi here so much, I think he may be actually underrated

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
The only reason Huet is in Europe is due to the horrible contract handed to him by Dale Tallon.
I thought Huet negated his contract in order to go to Europe?

Either way, anyone who watched Huet last year would tell you that he couldn't even cut it as a backup on a SC winner and behind Norris winner.

He's not NHL caliber, regardless of the contract. Doesn't help that there market was crap for free agent goalies as well.

Quote:
They didnt need another goalie. They needed defense. Look at their defense, it blows. Niemi and Nitty are going to get lit up all day.
I know. I agree.

Quote:
Actually people talk down on Niemi here so much, I think he may be actually underrated
I think there's a divide. People tend to overrate or underrate Niemi from what I've seen. I don't see many people calling him what he is. Average. At least in my mind.

Old
09-01-2010, 06:20 PM
CerpinTaxt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Haha, this is so dramatic that its kinda lame.

Seriously dude, we know you dont like him, but its a little hyperbole to suggest that hes tearing the team down on purpose.

In his mind, he does things because he believes he is helping out. Just cause you dont think so, doesnt make him a bad guy.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post

Seriously dude, we know you dont like him, but its a little hyperbole to suggest that hes tearing the team down on purpose.

In his mind, he does things because he believes he is helping out. Just cause you dont think so, doesnt make him a bad guy.
You're right, it was hyperbole.

Turn on the sarcasm detector, bro.

Old
09-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerpinTaxt View Post

You honestly couldn't tell that was hyperbole?

I mean, I understand it's hard to detect sarcasm on the net, but that was extremely obvious hyperbole.

Old
09-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:

Huet gives up too many soft goals, but when it comes to Niemi he can stop the first shot very well, but his rebound control, inability to stop the second and third chances, and reliance on athleticism alone will only work with excellent defensive teams.

With that said Niemi would've been a decent fit here, but he is indeed overrated.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
Huet gives up too many soft goals, but when it comes to Niemi he can stop the first shot very well, but his rebound control, inability to stop the second and third chances, and reliance on athleticism alone will only work with excellent defensive teams.

With that said Niemi would've been a decent fit here, but he is indeed overrated.
Who knows... he's only played one year, and played rather well on the balance. Sure, he struggled a bit against us in the SCF... but he'd gotten to the SCF, and while there he stole a game (Game 2) and wasn't really pushed by the goalie across from him in any event.

I don't think he's going to be a Vezina candidate anytime soon, but he certainly earned the right to claim a role as a NHL starter last year.

Old
09-01-2010, 07:14 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
and the answer to this question: Absolutely.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Cmoneyflyguy

niemi was just BARELY better than leighton in the finals

Cmoneyflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Good in theory, but not in reality.

I can talk about how bad Leighton is until I turn blue in the face, but he won't ever be underrated.

Now apply the same principle to Niemi. He's pretty bad.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote