HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Introduction Thread!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-09-2010, 11:16 AM
  #751
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
Woulda, shoulda, coulda. Spare Kuato this unfounded nonsense. You cannot say "he would have been fine." We simply do not know that. You cannot predict how he "would have played" if "maybe" his partner was different. We simply do not know what would have happened.

Then, you say "who cares" anyway, if he wasn't any good? You are really trying to cover our back with this one, huh? You are closing off any counter arguments. Well Kuato cares! Our weak 3rd pairing was a glaring weakness.

You know who else has a weak 3rd pairing? Everyone else in the league, most teams even have a weak 2nd pairing. There is a reason they play 12-15 mins a night matched against the other team's bottom 6 lines, there is also a reason they only make .6-1.2 mil/year and those reasons are the same.

Not to mention, you are actually ignoring Bartulis' own shortcomings. You are making his deficiencies all about other people, not himself. Kuato doesn't go for making excuses and finger-pointing.

I am not making excuses, I am stating facts. Bartulis was perfectly fine last year and, imo, played well above expectations considering he was a rookie and as a prospect was never considered much. When evaluating defensemen you HAVE to take into account their partners, you did this in the other thread when you were blinded by Richard's decreased assist numbers affecting his point total from last season due to poor linemates.

Yes, yes Kuato knows it's all Homer's fault. Always is. First he spends too much money, then he lowballs FA's. Make up your mind John Kerry! (Kidding btw).

Kuato does not know if you noticed, but Nabakov priced himself out of the league and Turco did not sign until recently. Obviously these players were holding out for more money, to the point they probably overvalued themselves.

He spends too much money on positions that the team does not need (5th dman, enforcer) and then lowballs our BIGGEST need, goalie. Just because Turco is now making 1.3M does not make the 2M he was offered BEFORE HE WAS ALLOWED TO TEST THE MARKET any less of a lowball offer. The fact is Homer probably only even tested the Turco and Nabokov waters to satiate the less hockey knowledgeable fanbase and never had any intention of pursuing them for very long (as evidenced by signing Leighton before the market opened).

Let's be honest here, this was not all Homer's fault. Come on my good man, Kuato is all for some good conversation, but that is impossible if all you do is finger-point and only look at one side of things.

Let's be honest here, WHOSE FAULT WAS IT THEN?!?!

You want to discuss the salary cap? Then let's do so, but you have to be able to compartmentalize when having a conversation. Homer is not a good cap manager - that much is obvious. However that does not mean every player he acquired as a bad signing. That is very narrow-minded, childish thinking.

When did I ever say such a thing? O'Donnell was in fact the PERFECT signing. A solid, physical vet who can play 15 mins a night without being victimized by coaching matchups on the road when Lavi doesn't have last change? That is literally what everyone on this board was clammoring for this year, the quintessential 3rd pairing dman. I am not thrilled by Shelley, but I understand and accept the "Flyer mentality" that caused him to be signed, 1.1M to play 40 games and 5 mins per game isn't making me lose THAT much sleep, neither is 4M for Mes, it is the combination of the high contracts that cost us Gagne this year and someone of import next year that gives me nightmares.

Kuato would have been perfectly fine trading Carter in the off-season btw.

Agrudez agrees; however, 4 high draft picks next year sounds real good, too.
Replied in bold.

agrudez* is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 02:06 PM
  #752
Kuato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Kambo thinks this too. Kuato's defense of Homer makes Kambo's head hurt.
It is called objectivity my friend. Perhaps a re-read of Kuato's posts are necessary? You'll notice he does criticize Homer's lack of understanding of what a cap is.

Kuato is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
  #753
Kuato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Our 3rd pairing could not handle even 12-15 minutes. That is kind of the point. They were not sufficient at all and had to be upgraded. It was one of the two biggest needs the team had. So Homer went out and upgraded (in theory cause you never know until you play the games).

The other big need was in net and he tried to upgrade there, but the players said no. That is on them, not Homer.

Kuato doesn't think there's any defense of Homer's spending habits. He's made that quite clear several times. The man has no grasp of the cap. But you are making this all about money and ignoring the fact he improved on a weakness.

It is a fact Bartulis was" fine?" Well that is certainly debatable.

Are you familiar with the definition of the word fact? Because your statement is nothing more than subjective opinion. If it were indisputable fact that Bartulis was indeed fine, as you put it, he would have still had the job. He did not. He wasn't benched because he was doing his job well.

So when Richards' struggles it is only because of his linemates? He's never at fault? Is that how it works? What say you to his Houdini act in the finals? Or was that Carter and Gagne's faults? Or was their bad play his fault? How does it work?

Kuato is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 02:41 PM
  #754
Opus
Boondoggle
 
Opus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,931
vCash: 800
Let's keep this to introductions and welcomes...

If you want to talk about lines and/or the lineup, please do so in the appropriate thread.


Thanks.

Opus is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 02:44 PM
  #755
Kambo
Registered User
 
Kambo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pennsauken, NJ
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuato View Post
It is called objectivity my friend. Perhaps a re-read of Kuato's posts are necessary? You'll notice he does criticize Homer's lack of understanding of what a cap is.
I'm really not interested in going back to have to reread you referencing yourself 50 times again, but the jist that I'm getting is that your only problem with Homer is his cap handling? How did you feel about John Stevens?

Kambo is offline  
Old
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
  #756
Kuato
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
I'm really not interested in going back to have to reread you referencing yourself 50 times again, but the jist that I'm getting is that your only problem with Homer is his cap handling? How did you feel about John Stevens?
Certainly not, but in reference to the particular discussion Homer's biggest problem is how much he spends on players. The man is truly in over his head when it comes to the financial aspects of running a team.

That doesn't change the fact that he did what needed to be done (in terms of what assets they acquired). They needed defense and he went out and got it. They needed a goalie. He tried, but two players turned him down.

All this talk of him having totally ruined next season based on this off-season's moves are nothing more than nonsense. It is very "the sky is falling" and is based on knee-jerk reactions and not objectivity.

John Stevens has nothing to do with this conversation, but Kuato will humor you. He was not a great coach, but was the scapegoat of team-wide issues that have plagued some of this young core for 5 years now.

Looks like we'll need to continue this discussion elsewhere.

Kuato is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 08:35 AM
  #757
Fuzzy Logic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK
Country: England
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Thought I should introduce myself.
Nick from London, England

Flyers fan for a couple of years. Was never really into ice hockey until I saw the Flyers play live when I was in America a few years ago and now absolutely love it. Still learning but can't wait for the new season.

Fuzzy Logic is offline  
Old
09-01-2010, 09:28 PM
  #758
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
Thought I should introduce myself.
Nick from London, England

Flyers fan for a couple of years. Was never really into ice hockey until I saw the Flyers play live when I was in America a few years ago and now absolutely love it. Still learning but can't wait for the new season.
Welcome to the zoo! I love that we have a number of posters from Great Britain!

Please jump right in and join the fun!

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
09-02-2010, 03:25 AM
  #759
Fuzzy Logic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: London, UK
Country: England
Posts: 37
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Welcome to the zoo! I love that we have a number of posters from Great Britain!

Please jump right in and join the fun!
Will do my best, just received my Richards t-shirt in the post.
Just one more month til the season starts

Fuzzy Logic is offline  
Old
09-02-2010, 07:32 PM
  #760
MsMeow
Registered User
 
MsMeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,310
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
Will do my best, just received my Richards t-shirt in the post.
Just one more month til the season starts
Even better! Welcome aboard, Fuzzy!

MsMeow is offline  
Old
10-09-2010, 11:47 PM
  #761
jethro flyer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Hi, This seems like the place for introductions, my names james, been a flyer fan since 96, I've been reading the boards since the start of last season, thought it was time I got an account. Also huge thanks to Stockholm Syndrome for the game link tonight.

jethro flyer is offline  
Old
10-10-2010, 06:22 AM
  #762
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro flyer View Post
Hi, This seems like the place for introductions, my names james, been a flyer fan since 96, I've been reading the boards since the start of last season, thought it was time I got an account. Also huge thanks to Stockholm Syndrome for the game link tonight.
Welcome to the board!

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
10-18-2010, 04:48 PM
  #763
jirv
Registered User
 
jirv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 10
vCash: 500
Intro

Name: Jake

Age: 21

Location: Central Jersey/ South Jersey for School

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Phillies, Wings

Most Hated Team(s): Rangers

Favorite Player(s): Hextall, LeClaire, Grioux

Most Hated Player(s): Cindy Crosby,

Position: Lacrosse Player... Middie/Attack Princeton High School

Flyers fan since: Since i could remember. Hockey has always been a part of my family

jirv is offline  
Old
10-18-2010, 05:11 PM
  #764
Cleary84
Registered User
 
Cleary84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,424
vCash: 500
Welcome Jake, hope you find these boards to be very fun as well as resourceful!

Cleary84 is offline  
Old
10-27-2010, 10:15 AM
  #765
Decklann
Registered User
 
Decklann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Name: Declan A.K.A Demann

Age: 15

Location: Folcroft PA (I'm right outside of Philly)

Favorite Team(s): Philadelphia Flyers

Most Hated Team(s): Penguins and Blackhawks

Favorite Player(s): Scott Hartnell, Patrick Kane, Claude Giroux, Ryan Miller, Brian Boucher

Least Favorite Player(s): Cindy Crybaby, er, Crosby

Team: Ed Snider Youth Hockey and Folcroft Falcons

Position: Goalie

Flyers fan since: 2 years ago. My uncle brought me to a game and I was hooked.

Decklann is offline  
Old
10-27-2010, 10:47 AM
  #766
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirv View Post
Name: Jake

Age: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decklann View Post
Name: Declan A.K.A Demann

Age: 15
Welcome to the board guys!

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
10-27-2010, 04:53 PM
  #767
Jules801
Just Some Broad
 
Jules801's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Good Ol' Glassboro
Country: Israel
Posts: 6,489
vCash: 500
Welcome "new guys!"

Jules801 is offline  
Old
10-27-2010, 05:31 PM
  #768
usahockey22flyers
Daje Roma!
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Prati, Roma.
Country: United States
Posts: 3,523
vCash: 500
Name: Mark

Age: 18

Location: Howell, NJ

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Eagles, Phils, Sixers, Union, Arsenal, anything USA

Most Hated Team(s): Rags, Pens

Favorite Player(s): JvR, Briere, Richie, Giroux, (as of this year) Mesz, Carle, Keith Primeau, Mike Modano, Brett Hull, Mike Richter (Uhhhh yea), Chris Chelios, Joe Pavelski

Most Hated Player(s): Crosby, Avery, Clarkson, Perry, Talbot

Flyers fan since - Birth

NHL 11 top line HUT (old school) - JvR - Carter - Pavelski (playing RW)
Carle-Erik Gudbranson

Sports - Second baseman, Striker

I cant believe i didnt sign in to this, maybe I did, not sure, great idea though.

usahockey22flyers is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 11:20 AM
  #769
Melska
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Glasgow UK
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Been lurking for almost a year now, so time to join the boards.

Name: Nikke

Age: 24

Location: Glasgow, Scotland (I'm from Finland though)

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Sixers, Sympathies to Ducks & Wild

Most Hated Team(s): Capitals, Canucks

Favorite Player(s): Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, James van Riemsdyk, Eric Lindros, John LeClair, Ron Hextall, Kimmo Timonen, Teemu Selanne, Mikko Koivu, Pavel Bure, Mario Lemieux, Mike Richter, Mikael Granlund, Cam Neely

Most Hated Player(s): Mike Green, Matt Cooke, Roberto Luongo, Claude Lemieux

Flyers fan since - 1995 I saw first highlights about Legion of Doom, but I didn't follow any particular team in NHL back then. So, Legion of Doom basically made me a Flyers fan, but I think I recognised that few years later and now I'm a Flyer fan for life.

Melska is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 12:02 PM
  #770
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Logic View Post
Thought I should introduce myself.
Nick from London, England

Flyers fan for a couple of years. Was never really into ice hockey until I saw the Flyers play live when I was in America a few years ago and now absolutely love it. Still learning but can't wait for the new season.
Does your user name have a special meaning by chance?

One which would make my Bayesian heart sink?

agrudez* is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 12:10 PM
  #771
CharlieGirl
Thank you Mr. Snider
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
Name: Mark

Age: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melska View Post
Name: Nikke

Age: 24

Location: Glasgow, Scotland (I'm from Finland though)
Welcome to the board - please jump right in!

CharlieGirl is offline  
Old
10-29-2010, 12:14 PM
  #772
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: is what I do
Country: United States
Posts: 39,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melska View Post
Been lurking for almost a year now, so time to join the boards.

Name: Nikke

Age: 24

Location: Glasgow, Scotland (I'm from Finland though)

Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Sixers, Sympathies to Ducks & Wild

Most Hated Team(s): Capitals, Canucks


Favorite Player(s): Mike Richards, Claude Giroux, James van Riemsdyk, Eric Lindros, John LeClair, Ron Hextall, Kimmo Timonen, Teemu Selanne, Mikko Koivu, Pavel Bure, Mario Lemieux, Mike Richter, Mikael Granlund, Cam Neely

Most Hated Player(s): Mike Green, Matt Cooke, Roberto Luongo, Claude Lemieux

Flyers fan since - 1995 I saw first highlights about Legion of Doom, but I didn't follow any particular team in NHL back then. So, Legion of Doom basically made me a Flyers fan, but I think I recognised that few years later and now I'm a Flyer fan for life.
stick around here long enough and you will either add to it or change those hated teams

GoneFullHextall is online now  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:24 PM
  #773
FlyersFanatic
Registered User
 
FlyersFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Western New York
Country: United States
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Name: Kyle
Age: 20

Location:Upstate, NY
Favorite Team(s): Flyers, Yankees, Titans, Notre Dame and UNC for college
Most Hated Team(s): Rags, Pens, Devils, Caps, Sabres

Favorite Player(s): Giroux, Richie, Pronger, Kimmo, Bob, Betts, Lappy
Most Hated Player(s): Crosby, Ovechkin, Avery, Cooke, Kennedy(just one weird looking mofo) Jody Shelley haha

Flyers fan since - As long as I can remember

NHL 11 top line HUT (old school)Don't play hut, but mine is JVR-Richards-Giroux
Sports - Second baseman, Point guard in high school. Would have loved to play hockey, but i didnt have any leagues that close

FlyersFanatic is offline  
Old
10-30-2010, 10:46 PM
  #774
SeanL44
Welcome to Hellbow
 
SeanL44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,270
vCash: 500
Welcome new friends and hopefully no enemies

SeanL44 is offline  
Old
11-22-2010, 04:32 PM
  #775
Hanzee Dent
Registered User
 
Hanzee Dent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 996
vCash: 500
Hello

Allow myself to introduce...myself.

Name: Jared
Age: 28
Location: SJ
Favorite player(s): Roo(obviously) and Bob
Least favorite player: Patrick Kaleta and probably a few more I can't think of right now.

Been a lurker here for quite a few years. Always read the gameday threads and really appreciate the work and detail MSE puts into them. So, yeah. Hi there ya'll.

Hanzee Dent is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.