HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Benoit Groulx was Offered Bulldogs Coaching Position

Old
09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
ScopeHockey

vCash: 500
Benoit Groulx was Offered Bulldogs Coaching Position

In this article, Stephane Leroux states that he found out over the last few days that Groulx was offered the Bulldogs coaching job and turned it down because he wanted to stay in the Q after a disastrous experience in the AHL.

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/170008/posts/87104

I'm glad to hear this, because frankly, Groulx is the only coach in the Q right now that I like enough that I would want to bring into the Habs organization. Vincent and Tourigny are good but not great, IMO. Too bad Groulx turned it down though, he is a great developer of talent.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Would have been nice...but let's see what our actual coach will do.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 09:47 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Would have been nice...but let's see what our actual coach will do.
For the record, I actually like the Cunneyworth signing, because I like what he did with the Buffalo prospects.

Old
09-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
In this article, Stephane Leroux states that he found out over the last few days that Groulx was offered the Bulldogs coaching job and turned it down because he wanted to stay in the Q after a disastrous experience in the AHL.

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/170008/posts/87104

I'm glad to hear this, because frankly, Groulx is the only coach in the Q right now that I like enough that I would want to bring into the Habs organization. Vincent and Tourigny are good but not great, IMO. Too bad Groulx turned it down though, he is a great developer of talent.
I agree. I'm not that fond of Vincent either. While Tourigny....it depends on which day you're asking me. But Groulx would have been a great move.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
For the record, I actually like the Cunneyworth signing, because I like what he did with the Buffalo prospects.
I'm not against it either...as long as he's teaching the young players and don't always think about winning to get a NHL job, it will be all good...we can't have another Don Lever here...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:27 AM
didouche
CHANGE is coming!!!!

Lol that should help Bergeron relax a bit

Last edited by didouche: 09-02-2010 at 12:04 PM.
didouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:33 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

I'm glad he didnt. He ran Rochester into the ground.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Mag1328

Groulx's mind was made up a long time ago.
Back in June, he had already made it clear to me that he wasn't interested.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...ent-ampute.php

(scroll down)

Mag1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:58 AM
fatmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
I'm not against it either...as long as he's teaching the young players and don't always think about winning to get a NHL job, it will be all good...we can't have another Don Lever here...
You right on the target... Don Lever was attrocious even if he win the Calder Trophy with the bulldogs, the guy was there for himself, not the youth development!

I have a question:
How can you develop your prospect if you have to change coach every year?

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 12:05 PM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmax View Post
You right on the target... Don Lever was attrocious even if he win the Calder Trophy with the bulldogs, the guy was there for himself, not the youth development!

I have a question:
How can you develop your prospect if you have to change coach every year?
We need a coach like this who will stay with our farm team for 10 years:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=6422
(scroll down to the Coaching section)

In all seriousness, Yates is a terrible coach IMO, and this may explain why Columbus has been so bad at developing prospects.
I'd rather have some coaching turnover and have competent guys every year. Lever and Boucher have both been good IMO.

Old
09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
fatmax

Quote:
We need a coach like this who will stay with our farm team for 10 years:
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=6422
(scroll down to the Coaching section)

In all seriousness, Yates is a terrible coach IMO, and this may explain why Columbus has been so bad at developing prospects.
I'd rather have some coaching turnover and have competent guys every year. Lever and Boucher have both been good IMO.
I do agree that we still need a good coach, my poin t was that our prospect development could be affected if the coach were coming and going, they (the prospect) would b confuse...

The only similarity between boucher & lever was that they were targeting the NHL. One had the tools (Boucher) the other did not (Lever).

I remember that a lot of player last year stated that they have learn more with Boucher in 2 weeks than what they have learn with lever over the past 2 years (Desharnais for instance)

My cousin was also playing for the Bulldogs and he hate Lever, every time he scored a goal, he got bench because he was label has 4th line material in NHL (3rd at best) (J. Ferland)

All I wanted to point out is that we better have a coach who's talented and he's happy in the AHL, than having a coach with similar aptitude but want an NHL job at all cost (ie prospect dev.)

fatmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Joe Cole

So if the Canadiens are morally obliged to give jobs to every Quebec born player/coach/executive, shouldn't those people be as morally obliged to accept it?

Or should we create the template for the double standard in advance to make their lives easier?

...just saying...

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
I'm glad he didnt. He ran Rochester into the ground.
Are you for real on that one? Groulx took a 07-08 team that finished 24-46-6 run by the great Randy Cunneyworth to a team in 09-10 that finished with 44-33-2record.....please ran me into the ground as well would you?

Old
09-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
So if the Canadiens are morally obliged to give jobs to every Quebec born player/coach/executive, shouldn't those people be as morally obliged to accept it?

Or should we create the template for the double standard in advance to make their lives easier?

...just saying...
Habs "might" be morally obliged to at least considered them strongly. If it is known that the Habs wanted 10 quebec born players and 5 executives and they all declined, well let's hope it's known and nobody will say a word. Until we know, only the end result matters. But let just say that this piece of info by Leroux will calm down a few people. People are going with what they know. And the end result is what matters unless you happen to have those kind of inside infos.

Well you are obviously not talking about the draft in that regards. Then, if positions are offered to players or coaches, well if we know about it, it won't be held against them.

But it has to start by offering them the positions. In my case IF they deserve it and could do the job not solely because of the language they speak.

Old
09-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Habs "might" be morally obliged .... People are going with what they know. And the end result is what matters unless you happen to have those kind of inside infos.
You are an optimist I think people go with what they are told, had repeated a bunch of times...and at one point, facts or no facts, THAT becomes the truth.

Quote:
Well you are obviously not talking about the draft in that regards. Then, if positions are offered to players or coaches, well if we know about it, it won't be held against them.
If a free agent refuses, he has to wear the red mark of shame (like Briere), but somehow.... it is the Habs fault anyways.

Quote:
But it has to start by offering them the positions. In my case IF they deserve it and could do the job not solely because of the language they speak.
There is affirmative action for Quebec born people with the Habs, that we know. How effective it is, how much the team enforces it... that is the debate.

In my mind, best man for the job period. It is not the government. It is a PRO hockey team that I watch for entertainment, not as a source of personal identification. My belief is that a pro hockey team is NOT a cultural identifier, it is entertainment. Leave the identification to the team that represents the Country/Province/City in amateur/olympic competitions.

Again, just my opinion.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote