HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pierre Gauthier moves from Philly to... Vermont!?!

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
What's ridiculous is not the topic, but rather the comments refusing to see the point of the article and jumping to conclusions without even having read or understood it.

My two cents.

Old
09-01-2010, 11:30 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
What's ridiculous is not the topic, but rather the comments refusing to see the point of the article and jumping to conclusions without even having read or understood it.
Reading the article (I have) provides little value and wouldn't change most people's opinion of it. It's a muckracker with nothing to write about who finds yet another angle to prod at Quebecers' over-sensitivity to issues of the "Quebecness" of the Habs, and brings up something completely irrelevant to try to create a story even though he has no point. Stop me if this sounds familiar.

Either you agree with the sentiment that the Habs should bend over backwards for local content and you agree with him, or you believe that they're just being excessively chauvinistic about this and you disagree. Simple. Reading the article not required. It's not like it provides much in the way of useful information, balanced analysis, or anthing that's not just stirring up the pot. You can stop with the headline, really.

It's irrelevant and meaningless, but no sports columnist have ever gotten fired for propping up their audience's sense of self-importance.

Old
09-01-2010, 11:40 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
He will probably rent an appartment in Montreal.
So his family will be in Vermont and he will be in Montreal when needed.
Anyone thinks he is driving back to Vermont every week?

He will drive to Vermont when he has a few days when he is not needed in Montreal.

With Phone, internet and video conference you can do a lot.
thats a given, hes going to have lots of late nights

Old
09-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
Reading the article (I have) provides little value and wouldn't change most people's opinion of it. It's a muckracker with nothing to write about who finds yet another angle to prod at Quebecers' over-sensitivity to issues of the "Quebecness" of the Habs, and brings up something completely irrelevant to try to create a story even though he has no point. Stop me if this sounds familiar.

Either you agree with the sentiment that the Habs should bend over backwards for local content and you agree with him, or you believe that they're just being excessively chauvinistic about this and you disagree. Simple. Reading the article not required. It's not like it provides much in the way of useful information, balanced analysis, or anthing that's not just stirring up the pot. You can stop with the headline, really.

It's irrelevant and meaningless, but no sports columnist have ever gotten fired for propping up their audience's sense of self-importance.
Well reading the article does make you realize that he should fire his accountant, because there's no way in hell he's paying 24.5% in taxes. I live in the US, don't make nearly what he makes, and I pay around 35%. The federal tax % alone is 35% at his bracket, yet somehow he calculates that his TOTAL tax is going to be 24.5%. As if the 15% that Canada keeps covers for the 35% that he owes the US federal government.

Seriously, you would have to be totally clueless about taxes in the first place to believe that 24.5% makes sense. Sure we're taxed pretty high in Quebec, but DOUBLE the taxes? No UFA would ever sign here if the difference in taxes on his salary was around 50% vs 25%. That would be like losing 1-2M a year. How can you write that and not think it sounds incredibly fishy?

Old
09-02-2010, 01:56 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Grosse Tendresse View Post
Did you not read the article? If you spend less than 50% of the year in Canada, you are only taxed 15% in Canada and you are also taxed in the States (9,5% in Vermont, for example).

Most of the players don't spend 50%+ of the year in Canada, neither does Gauthier.

So taxes shouldn't matter that much to these players.
Sept to April (and more if playoffs), you do the math...

Old
09-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

When you read Gauthier's past it's so funny that he's the Habs GM. It's so unlike his personality to be in this hot bed. Last year he said something like "I stay in my hotel room, I never watch tv and radio, do not read the paper. Ever". That was before he became Habs GM. And now that he's taken the job, that's like asking Marry Popins to replace Miley Cyrus in her pop-rock show. I wonder if he's gonna keep being this kid putting his hands on his ears screaming la la la. He's gonna have to embrace it or explode.

Old
09-02-2010, 07:22 AM
havok78

That article should be retracted for misinformation, the tax brackets are wrong…

Old
09-02-2010, 09:05 AM
otto bond

Just in....Michel Bergeron has taken a vacation in ........Florida. This news guys who tell us all the good stuff about hockey in particular the habs has taken his vacation outside of Quebec.

Also just in...JC Lajoi is waiting for a biger pay day in order to fallow the rest of quebec to florida.....more detail to come.

Last edited by otto bond: 09-02-2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old
09-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:

You have NOT read the article or you did NOT understand it as the point is NOT about the number of Quebecers on the team.

Agree or disagree with it, force is to admit that the point is relevant in my opinion. Right, Punisher?

Old
09-02-2010, 09:18 AM
icerocket

Oh my god! Where PG lives has become an issue?

The season can't start soon enough!!!

Old
09-02-2010, 09:19 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

I think it's pretty pathetic on Gauthier's part. Come on, you're the Habs GM for christ sake, can you at least establish yourself in the same country? Shame on all of those who defend his actions in this thread.

Last edited by Spy: 09-02-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Old
09-02-2010, 09:34 AM
MathMan

Quote:
You have NOT read the article or you did NOT understand it as the point is NOT about the number of Quebecers on the team.
I know it's not. Did I mention anything about the number of Quebecers in my post?

It's about Gauthier's place of residence and how it's another slap in the face to Quebeckers and the Quebecness of the team. Oh, there's some dress-up as "how are you going to sell the city", but the scandal is really Gauthier living in the US. If he lived in, say, Quebec City, this article would never have existed (granted the taxes would then be the same, but he'd live even further away.)

So as I said, it's about the same thing in the end: cynically needling French Quebeckers' national pride to sell copy.

Old
09-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
I know it's not. Did I mention anything about the number of Quebecers in my post?

It's about Gauthier's place of residence and how it's another slap in the face to Quebeckers and the Quebecness of the team. Oh, there's some dress-up as "how are you going to sell the city", but the scandal is really Gauthier living in the US. If he lived in, say, Quebec City, this article would never have existed (granted the taxes would then be the same, but he'd live even further away.)

So as I said, it's about the same thing in the end: cynically needling French Quebeckers' national pride to sell copy.
You're missing the point in my opinion. How do you convince a UFA about how great of a place Montreal is, how great the schooling system is, how the taxes are irrelevant if you don't believe it yourself? How do you sell Mercedes when people see you driving a BMW?

Again, I don't put Gauthier down for his reasons, they're probably all legitimate... but it MAY make it hard to be believable when he's trying to convince someone.

Nothing to do with Quebecers!

Old
09-02-2010, 10:36 AM
MathMan

Quote:
You're missing the point in my opinion. How do you convince a UFA about how great of a place Montreal is, how great the schooling system is, how the taxes are irrelevant if you don't believe it yourself?
Yeah, that's the excuse. As if it were relevant -- for one thing will players even know where Gauthier lives? For another, doesn't he have an apartment in Montreal? For a third, is what fits best for an older NHL GM the same thing of what fits a twenty- or thirty-something NHL player?

Quote:
Oh it was all about it. IMO the "salesman" thing was dress-up, what he really was doing was needling national pride with "Gauthier doesn't live in Quebec!" He was just fishing around for reasons why it's relevant to his job.

Old
09-02-2010, 10:38 AM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Sept to April (and more if playoffs), you do the math...
1) it's counted in days not months (<183 days = nonresident)
2) every day you spend outside Canada doesn't count
3) 24 teams in the US, you do the math..

Old
09-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Yeah, that's the excuse. As if it were relevant -- for one thing will players even know where Gauthier lives? For another, doesn't he have an apartment in Montreal? For a third, is what fits best for an older NHL GM the same thing of what fits a twenty- or thirty-something NHL player?

Oh it was all about it. IMO the "salesman" thing was dress-up, what he really was doing was needling national pride with "Gauthier doesn't live in Quebec!" He was just fishing around for reasons why it's relevant to his job.
See, you're saying yourself that you're reading between the lines and at the same time, you're giving intentions that may not even be there. I know that it's not MY intention anyway... and that's where I refuse to over-dramatize and I don't get into that. As for the UFA's? They'll know because the story is out. They're not stupid, they can read to and their agents as well. Will it be a factor? Time will tell. Does it have the potential to be? Absolutely. "Buy this Mercedes Mr.UFA. Why do I drive a BMW? Where did you get that info from? It's irrelevant anyway."

Old
09-02-2010, 11:02 AM
MathMan

Quote:
See, you're saying yourself that you're reading between the lines and at the same time, you're giving intentions that may not even be there.
Okay, I'll admit, I am presuming about the author's intention. He may simply be bringing up the issue on the mistaken belief that it's somehow relevant.

But I doubt it. And I reiterate: if he lived in Quebec City, PG's ability to sell Montreal would never have been brought up.

Quote:
They'll know because the story is out. They're not stupid, they can read to and their agents as well. Will it be a factor? Time will tell. Does it have the potential to be? Absolutely.
Seriously... it's so insignificant that I can't imagine how it will be meaningful.

But if we're going to pretend this is significant, I'd be curious to find out, actually, how many NHL GMs live outside their team's home cities. I suspect it may be more than a few.

Old
09-02-2010, 11:09 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

some thing it is relevant, and I see their point, others thing it's not, and I see their point also. But, however you take this, the article is a cheap shot and the goal is to stir crap. Why now? Why not right after he moved to Vermont?
And what the hell do taxes, however they are calculated, have to do with this?

I always thought Martin Leclerc was too negative on La Zone, now I know for a fact he's a ******

edit :Can't believe French word for shower is banned!

Old
09-02-2010, 12:19 PM
otto bond

Quote:
You're missing the point in my opinion. How do you convince a UFA about how great of a place Montreal is, how great the schooling system is, how the taxes are irrelevant if you don't believe it yourself? How do you sell Mercedes when people see you driving a BMW?

Again, I don't put Gauthier down for his reasons, they're probably all legitimate... but it MAY make it hard to be believable when he's trying to convince someone.

Haaaaa, makes no sense. It very simple, if you drive your BMW to work and selling a Mercedes, more then likely the buyer will not know what car you have. Also, if he does know, it's up to the seller to say something like"I keep my baby for the weekend where I can show it off". Like the coke driver drinking Pepsi.....wen at work, I sure no one tells him what to drink but further more, does it realy matter what he drinks at home????I'm sure it's not always coke.

Quote:
Okay, I'll admit, I am presuming about the author's intention. He may simply be bringing up the issue on the mistaken belief that it's somehow relevant.

But I doubt it. And I reiterate: if he lived in Quebec City, PG's ability to sell Montreal would never have been brought up.

Seriously... it's so insignificant that I can't imagine how it will be meaningful.

But if we're going to pretend this is significant, I'd be curious to find out, actually, how many NHL GMs live outside their team's home cities. I suspect it may be more than a few.
100% agree

Old
09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastroLeRobot View Post
some thing it is relevant, and I see their point, others thing it's not, and I see their point also. But, however you take this, the article is a cheap shot and the goal is to stir crap. Why now? Why not right after he moved to Vermont?
And what the hell do taxes, however they are calculated, have to do with this?

I always thought Martin Leclerc was too negative on La Zone, now I know for a fact he's a ******

edit :Can't believe French word for shower is banned!
It's banned because in English, the word can have a very derogatory meaning.

09-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
Haaaaa, makes no sense. It very simple, if you drive your BMW to work and selling a Mercedes, more then likely the buyer will not know what car you have.
But he does know, the story is out... does it make more sense now?

Anyway, to some the UFA issue is irrelevant. To others, it's not. Who's right and who's not? We might never know. What I do know is that it's a risk. The rest, it's between the Molson's and Gauthier.

Old
09-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Joe Cole

It has become a religion to bash the Habs over all issues "Quebec" related.

Why would this be any different?

The only reason the media brought it up is that the pot is so freaking easy to stir, that it is a no-brainer to do so and gain "readership".

Old
09-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

Mark my words:

this story will make a great movie once Stallone hears of it.

Just replace James Brown with Gregory Charles.

Old
09-02-2010, 05:46 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
1) it's counted in days not months (<183 days = nonresident)
2) every day you spend outside Canada doesn't count
3) 24 teams in the US, you do the math..
41 home games, plus games in TO, Van, Cal, Ott, Edm, plus training camp, plus days between home games, plus days before leaving for US games... and add a month or two for those who go far in the playoffs...

unless the player(s) make an effort to go out of the country whenever they can... or team fly right after games (or day right after) to their away games in the US... they do spend an average of 20 days per month in Canada (including playoffs).

Quote:

Agree or disagree with it, force is to admit that the point is relevant in my opinion. Right, Punisher?
and how ?

PG : beautiful city, yada yada yada
UFA : you dont even live there
PG : exactly.
UFA : what do you mean "exactly" ?
PG : well it doesnt prevent me from doing my job right ?
UFA : huh...
PG : and I'm at the office everytime I need to
UFA : but you dont live there...
PG : Ok, since you're a moron, I'll tell you my secret -> I dont travel from Vermont to Montreal everyday, I also have a condo/appt on the south shore like all the players have...
UFA : I'm sorry Pierre, but you dont live there so therefore all you're saying about the city is all lies...

Old
09-02-2010, 06:37 PM
E = CH˛

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
and how ?

PG : beautiful city, yada yada yada
UFA : you dont even live there
PG : exactly.
UFA : what do you mean "exactly" ?
PG : well it doesnt prevent me from doing my job right ?
UFA : huh...
PG : and I'm at the office everytime I need to
UFA : but you dont live there...
PG : Ok, since you're a moron, I'll tell you my secret -> I dont travel from Vermont to Montreal everyday, I also have a condo/appt on the south shore like all the players have...
UFA : I'm sorry Pierre, but you dont live there so therefore all you're saying about the city is all lies...
Isn't it more like :

PG: beautiful city yadi yada...
UFA: But you don't even live there
PG: see, my family lives elsewhere and I don't see them unless I make a special effort to go there
UFA: but my wife is going to hate on me and I'm going to miss a lot of my kid's every day life
PG: Screw family

?

Closed Thread