HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

8/30 - Does the sellout streak end this year?

View Poll Results: Will the sellout streak end this season?
Yes 9 34.62%
No 17 65.38%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Tornado Warning

vCash: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
woot woot for the UC. lets see that sucker stay full after a couple years of missing the playoffs. probably wouldn't take that long. i'm sure the presentations will be a hell of a lot less exciting if they're playing to a half-filled arena.

I'm happy for the Hawks, but let's not pretend that city is full of die hard hockey fans or that the atmosphere in there is not wholly dependent on a high level of success on the ice.
Wirtz was a ####

We played to less then half filled arena's for many years ,,,, Of course we couldn't watch the games on TV to see how empty the stands were

We could only listen to radio and hear the conversations of the few fans in attendance between every whistle

Chicago was the top US city for hockey at one point and the Hawks used to be the hardes ticket in town to get...... It takes alot of effort to destory something like that

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:48 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
My son got to skate between periods of the Blackhawks game late last year. It was an awesome experience and he still talks about it quite often.
I would hope so and am very jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Wirtz was a ####

We played to less then half filled arena's for many years ,,,, Of course we couldn't watch the games on TV to see how empty the stands were

We could only listen to radio and hear the conversations of the few fans in attendance between every whistle

Chicago was the top US city for hockey at one point and the Hawks used to be the hardes ticket in town to get...... It takes alot of effort to destory something like that
You're preaching to the choir.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 09:49 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Wirtz was a ####

i know, i know. i was a hawks fan before the Wild came to be. it made me sad, and I don't ever want to see it get that bad here with this team--i understand the Northstars had less than stellar attendance or support, too, due to circumstances that could be at least partially blamed on ownership. The wild have been enjoying pretty good or even excellent fan support and I dread the day where it is definitively proved the reason is solely the novelty of a new franchise and not a general love of the sport that has kept the seats more or less filled through all these crap years.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2010, 11:31 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
So why do you follow the Wild?
Uh, maybe because they're from Minnesota and not Illinois? Anyway, to add fuel to your bait, if the Blackhawks played in Minneapolis, I'd take 35W instead of 35E to a hockey game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
Anecdotally, I totally would have gone for a 10-game pack if I could get one for, say, $200-300, rather than the current minimum $800.
Same here. I was really interested in the 10-game packs, but as soon as the ticket tiers were revealed I was out. I can't afford paying that much money for a so-so seat. If any upper level seat was included, I'd be on board right now. There needs to be a lower price for those lower level ends/corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Look up their introduction of the players. It takes them from sitting inside the UC and then skating throughout Chicago and then introduces the player with a really great announcer voice (not who the Wild have now that sounds like someone I could knock out and he'd thank me for it).
Gene Honda is the name you're looking for. My favorite announcer. Too bad Adam Abrams wasn't blessed with the same voice to work with. He's good otherwise. I ditto everything else you said. Awesome production.

Quote:
Really, I don't think the presentation needs much improvement, and I certainly don't think it's the reason they're having trouble selling tickets.
I didn't think so either until I experienced something different. I was blown away by the quality produced in Chicago. My next game at the X just paled in comparison. I don't think it's the key to attendance, but having improved atmosphere doesn't hurt any. It's fun just being at the UC--forget about the game.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:34 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Same here. I was really interested in the 10-game packs, but as soon as the ticket tiers were revealed I was out. I can't afford paying that much money for a so-so seat. If any upper level seat was included, I'd be on board right now. There needs to be a lower price for those lower level ends/corners.
Hey, Wild marketing, you listening?

Quote:
Gene Honda is the name you're looking for. My favorite announcer. Too bad Adam Abrams wasn't blessed with the same voice to work with. He's good otherwise. I ditto everything else you said. Awesome production.

I didn't think so either until I experienced something different. I was blown away by the quality produced in Chicago. My next game at the X just paled in comparison. I don't think it's the key to attendance, but having improved atmosphere doesn't hurt any. It's fun just being at the UC--forget about the game.
The Wild just need to make the playoffs for that "Playoff Atmosphere" to be there.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I'm happy for the Hawks, but let's not pretend...that the atmosphere in there is not wholly dependent on a high level of success on the ice.
This is no different than at the X or Mariucci Arena.

Lifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 08:32 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
This is no different than at the X or Mariucci Arena.
exactly my point. someone was getting all gushy about the UC and comparing it to the X.

And actually, it is a bit different in that people were actually buying tickets to the X even when we sucked. 18,000 silent fans > 9000 silent fans. at least there are more rustling noises.

Old
09-01-2010, 09:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've always thought the Mariucci was a much more fun hockey experience than the X...

Passionate hockey fans > Hockey moms
Pep band > 80's music pumped through the PA at ear ringing volume
Hockey chants > Polite clapping
Cheerleaders >>>>> Nordy

Luckily the CEO of my company used to be the captain of the Gophers and donates a lot of money so I usually get a few free sets of Gold Club seats each season

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 09:41 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Cheerleaders >>>>> Nordy
Bring in the ICE GIRLS!!!

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 11:23 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I've always thought the Mariucci was a much more fun hockey experience than the X...

Passionate hockey fans > Hockey moms
Pep band > 80's music pumped through the PA at ear ringing volume
Hockey chants > Polite clapping
Cheerleaders >>>>> Nordy

Luckily the CEO of my company used to be the captain of the Gophers and donates a lot of money so I usually get a few free sets of Gold Club seats each season
Almost said this earlier, but I love the college atmosphere for many of these reasons. Unfortunately, Mariucci has been getting a little more corporate with the economy but for me I'm there to watch a hockey game and be around people who want to. It's not a place for me to make business deals or be seen.

Old
09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I miss the free beer in the Gold Club.

Old
09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I've always been a fan of pregaming and sneaking in a flask, but that's just me.

Old
09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
That's not really a fair comparison. Everyone turns their presentation WAY up for the playoffs, and even more for the Finals. I know there aren't many examples of it, because that would involve the Wild making the playoffs more than thrice, but there are some videos floating around of intros at The X in the '07 and '08 playoffs that are pretty flashy and impressive. Though to be honest, I've always thought the Wild had pretty great presentation, even in the regular season. Maybe not really flashy, but well-put together with good design principles.

And I've always thought Adam Abrams does a great job with the announcements, though I heard him many times at the Dome before I could really get to a Wild game (question of affordability) so maybe my experience was a bit biased by that.

Really, I don't think the presentation needs much improvement, and I certainly don't think it's the reason they're having trouble selling tickets.
Spose I could of mentioned, it was the exact same thing they did when I went down there for the Wild vs Blackhawks game. The only thing that changed between the preseason was 1) how long it took, 2) who was starting, and 3) how loud the crowd was. Everything else was the same.

The presentation could use some sprucing up and make it more around The State of Hockey as they keep trying to do. They spend 20 seconds showing the history of the NorthStars and the Wild and that is about it. Incorporate more, if its possible? Minnesota winning National Championships. Miracle on Ice was basically all Minnesota boys. Prep Hockey. What have you. Make a showboat out of it to get people screaming that hockey is going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
My question isn't about the Wild...

It's about the fan... the one who does nothing but complain about everything about the team...
I figured bro but it was a valid issue to at least discuss as I've seen so far from other comments since.

Quote:
woot woot for the UC. lets see that sucker stay full after a couple years of missing the playoffs. probably wouldn't take that long. i'm sure the presentations will be a hell of a lot less exciting if they're playing to a half-filled arena.

I'm happy for the Hawks, but let's not pretend that city is full of die hard hockey fans or that the atmosphere in there is not wholly dependent on a high level of success on the ice.
So this is my unbiased opinion coming out as I know you all know where my heart lies when it comes to professional sports. However, Chicago is basically my 2nd home at this point with my best friend living there and the amount of trips I make a year to it. Chicago isn't exactly known as a "futility of sports" type city. They obviously had Chicago Bulls destroy the competition in the 90's, the White Sox won the World Series in 2003 (I think??), and the Bears have at least won the Big Dance. It is a city of 4,000,000 people where being a champion is considered bar none the most important aspect to fandom. To put it into perspective (even though you'll pull the percentage which you are correct with regardless), they have more true fans to their team.....than we do to ours. Does it help to have that big of a fan base to reach out and touch? YES! 80% of those guys own bars and clubs that people frequent and they themselves frequent since they stay in the city. Campbell, Buff, and Hossa all are silent partners at the 50/50 bar off of Division St. Kane and Toews are partners as well with a few in more ritzy area of downtown. Now, I'm only throwing that out there for the "what are the Wild players doing in their offseason for the state and to help garnish some tourism in the process?"

This is a new team, new owner, new GM, new coach. Will they win it again next year? HELL NO. But they have already sold out their season tickets for next year and in order to get next years and the rates were 110% increase on all seats. Yet, their tickets are STILL cheaper than ours.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:09 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
It is a city of 4,000,000 people where being a champion is considered bar none the most important aspect to fandom...they have more true fans to their team
Does not compute. Sounds like they've got a couple of really big bandwagons.

Quote:
This is a new team, new owner, new GM, new coach. Will they win it again next year? HELL NO. But they have already sold out their season tickets for next year and in order to get next years and the rates were 110% increase on all seats. Yet, their tickets are STILL cheaper than ours.
Seriously?! That's disgusting.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2010, 03:28 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Does not compute. Sounds like they've got a couple of really big bandwagons.

Seriously?! That's disgusting.
Makes you feel all good inside when you hear how much other fans are paying to see their teams doesn't it? Although, anytime I try to REALLY complain about it, I think of Toronto fans. They have the absolute WORST!

And trust me guys, I'm not taking a trip to Negative town on the team, fans, or the cities. I've been to places that rocked your world with preseason and intergame entertainment (Detroit, Chicago, NYR, Carolina) and I've been to places where you literally sit there going "wtf" (Atlanta, Tampa, Florida, St. Louis). We have a great set of things, the issue is for me (can't speak for the rest of ya) is you get used to seeing our own so much that when you do see something else, it looks so much better. Kind of like being married.

Old
09-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think the only thing I can be really negative about with the Wild is the price of games and concessions. It's incredibly prohibitive.

Let's say you have a family of four going out to a game...upper level ends, the worst seats, tickets alone are $104. $15 for parking. Mom and dad each get one beer at $8 a pop, the kids each get a soda for about $4 a pop, and the family shares some popcorn or nachos or something for $8 or whatever it is. That's $150. That's two weeks groceries!

To tag on to what BigT said, the X is a "nice building", but games really aren't all that fun. I like to watch warmups more than the game itself. I thought the prospect game was more fun than any Wild game I've been to, and it was free.

Old
09-01-2010, 07:05 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I think the only thing I can be really negative about with the Wild is the price of games and concessions. It's incredibly prohibitive.

Let's say you have a family of four going out to a game...upper level ends, the worst seats, tickets alone are $104. $15 for parking. Mom and dad each get one beer at $8 a pop, the kids each get a soda for about $4 a pop, and the family shares some popcorn or nachos or something for $8 or whatever it is. That's $150. That's two weeks groceries!

To tag on to what BigT said, the X is a "nice building", but games really aren't all that fun. I like to watch warmups more than the game itself. I thought the prospect game was more fun than any Wild game I've been to, and it was free.
Werd. I am more excited to see Houston than Minny right now lol

Old
09-01-2010, 10:30 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

chicago = bandwagoners. don't even try to deny it. a lot of "them" admit it themselves.
oh, right, i suppose it's the "we love the team so much we have to tell the owners we're upset with how its running so we don't spend money or watch" argument. I have friends in chicago and while i'd never dare say they provide an accurate little sample of the city as a whole but they are incredibly "pfffft" when one of their teams isn't doing so great.

Who was it on the Wild message boards that was trying everyone to go along with that--like it would actually spark something or make the team try harder if we just didn't show up.

now...i'll agree that something is just not the same in the X. Don't know what it is. The bloom being off the rose, maybe, though I would have thought that would have happened before now. new ownership? maybe something just hinky about someone from Wisconsin owning the team leaves a bad subconscious taste?

edit: holy discoherent...i was at the fair all day and still googly.

edit again: yeah, the fact that the concessions turned to complete ***** with the new company and still cost as much or more, plus parking blows donkey. i work downtown and have a transponder or that might even be a deal breaker--$15 x 42 games isn't insignificant.

Old
09-01-2010, 10:41 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Yeah I'm not entirely sure what you wrote, but things are not the same at the X because the honeymoon's over and this team hasn't given us much to cheer about the last few years. When things go right, it's a scary building to play in.

Old
09-01-2010, 10:54 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Yeah I'm not entirely sure what you wrote, but things are not the same at the X because the honeymoon's over and this team hasn't given us much to cheer about the last few years. When things go right, it's a scary building to play in.
I agree. Who's your dealer lol

Old
09-02-2010, 11:32 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It's just too sanitized, family friendly now. Hockey games gotta have some dirt to them. I miss the stale smell of cold concrete buildings and the mini doughnut machine in the corner combining with hot chocolate or bad coffee.

Either that or playing hockey every week in places like Biff Adams and Yackel have gotten to me.

Or maybe it's just playing hockey in general. Sitting on the bench and getting ready to jump the ice is way more fun than watching a team dick around for a couple hours.

Ugh, I've got a bad taste in my mouth from the Chicago game last year, the only one I could afford to go to (and spent $150 at)...the one where Russo, Richards, Fletcher, and every player interviewed said it was the worst game of the year and they let the fans down.

Old
09-02-2010, 01:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

sunday matinee games are the absolute worst as far as atmosphere goes. you could take a nap in there.