HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2010, 04:05 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
my apologies for temporarily veering off topic...but:

The income disparity in this country due to financial DE-regulation, has created a state of "have" and have-nots". The middle class is becoming more and more irrelevant. The ability to attend sporting events is fast becoming a modern day status symbol.
That's true, we're becoming a country of high-wage jobs and low-wage jobs, with very little inbetween. And (to bring it back to hockey), the NHL--because it relies mostly on ticket revenue--will suffer because of this trend.

Old
09-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Seems like deja vu...weren't we just going through this same dance with Dubinsky?
yea except Staal is more valuable to us than Duby was or is

Old
09-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
That's true, we're becoming a country of high-wage jobs and low-wage jobs, with very little inbetween. And (to bring it back to hockey), the NHL--because it relies mostly on ticket revenue--will suffer because of this trend.
wow. not sure it has anything to do with deregulation. everyone knows the size of our government has only increased in the last century. kind of sad really. we're not really free anymore. at the start of the last century, there was no federal income tax. none. now the big govt takes anywhere from 18 or so to 30-some odd percent of our income. forget the state taxes that are added. you can't make a buck that you can keep and spend on what you want... including hockey tixx....

Old
09-02-2010, 08:17 AM
pwoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgraced Cosmonaut View Post
wow. not sure it has anything to do with deregulation. everyone knows the size of our government has only increased in the last century. kind of sad really. we're not really free anymore. at the start of the last century, there was no federal income tax. none. now the big govt takes anywhere from 18 or so to 30-some odd percent of our income. forget the state taxes that are added. you can't make a buck that you can keep and spend on what you want... including hockey tixx....
"The rich keep getting richer because they keep doing the things that make them rich. Ditto for the poor." - With that being said, gov't is too large, intrusive, and unsustainable.

Old
09-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I can appreciate the economic discussion, but this isn't the place for it.

Old
09-02-2010, 10:18 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd push for a threat for all OT stuff, but I assume there is a reason we don't have one.

Folks are right who are saying that Staal's situation is comparable to Dubinsky's. Except the ramifications both short and long term of this deal are going to be much bigger than Dubi.

2 year deal for 2nd liner< 6 year deal for 1st pairing defenseman

Plus, if we dont get Staal locked up before the preseason starts, he may be a step behind and the beginning of the regular season. If we start the regular season without him, well, I dont even want to think about that. We'd have to run Redden on our top pairing until he came back.

Old
09-02-2010, 10:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Many group II's w/no arb rights are unsigned. Bobby Ryan, James Neal, Niclas Bergfors, Chris Stewart, Peter Mueller, Andrew Cogliano, Matt Niskanen and Staal. Erik Johnson, David Perron and Sam Gagner got 2 year deals. Bryan Little and Patric Hornqvist got 3 year deals. Devon Setoguchi got a 1 year deal. All group II's with no arb rights. Term is the sticking point with Staal,Ryan and Bergfors.

Old
09-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Bergfors has had one decent year. The heck is he holding out for?

Old
09-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
agreed. i should've brought home the point that the little man getting pushed out of hockey games, and the high cost of modern sports in general, is attributable to the greed of both the player and (mainly) management/ownership.

in this instance, i would like staal to say: i need $X,XXX,XXX/yr for the next 2 seasons to be ahead of the game, considering all things. 2 years from now, i'll hit the wide open market (like those UFA's before me).

Old
09-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I was going to give you a bunch of statistics (starting with the fact that at the beginning of the 20th Century, life expendency in this country averaged 42 years old). But, it's too damned hot, so I'll just say this: I don't think government is the problem and leave it at that.

Old
09-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
agreed. i should've brought home the point that the little man getting pushed out of hockey games, and the high cost of modern sports in general, is attributable to the greed of both the player and (mainly) management/ownership.

in this instance, i would like staal to say: i need $X,XXX,XXX/yr for the next 2 seasons to be ahead of the game, considering all things. 2 years from now, i'll hit the wide open market (like those UFA's before me).
Staal is 4 years away from hitting UFA status under the curent CBA. Sather is evidently trying to sign him to a contact that will take him several years past that point.

Old
09-02-2010, 01:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Staal is 4 years away from hitting UFA status under the curent CBA. Sather is evidently trying to sign him to a contact that will take him several years past that point.
Several years? Wouldn't that mean at least a 7 year contract? I don't believe he has an offer that long on the table... I think at most he will get offered a 6 year deal...

Old
09-02-2010, 01:38 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Several years? Wouldn't that mean at least a 7 year contract? I don't believe he has an offer that long on the table... I think at most he will get offered a 6 year deal...
Two years beyond free agency isn't several years? From Sather's standpoint, that's the least number of years he should want. Less than 4 years meants the Rangers might/probably have to take their best defenseman through the arbitration process.

Old
09-02-2010, 01:55 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Two years beyond free agency isn't several years? From Sather's standpoint, that's the least number of years he should want. Less than 4 years meants the Rangers might/probably have to take their best defenseman through the arbitration process.
Sorry, I always thought 2 was a 'couple' and 'several' implied 3+

I think the most Staal and his agent would concede in terms of UFA years, if at all, would be 2... Depending on the $$$ value Sather offers...

Old
09-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Sandwiches1123

From what I understand, Staal is asking for at least $4.5 million. The problem is he wants the arbitration option the next time around so he's looking for a 3 year deal or so. Sather has tied the hands of the Rangers with his idiotic contracts. I know this isn't a trade rumour page but May I propose an interesting deal for Ranger fans:

To NYR - Quick, J Johnson

To LAK - Staal.

Johnson comes back as a more affordable goaltender and Quick would make an excellent backup and possible replacement for the King when he retires.

Old
09-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandwiches1123 View Post
From what I understand, Staal is asking for at least $4.5 million. The problem is he wants the arbitration option the next time around so he's looking for a 3 year deal or so. Sather has tied the hands of the Rangers with his idiotic contracts. I know this isn't a trade rumour page but May I propose an interesting deal for Ranger fans:

To LAK - Staal.

Johnson comes back as a more affordable goaltender and Quick would make an excellent backup and possible replacement for the King when he retires.
Nope. Zero need for Quick.

Old
09-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

To LAK - Staal.

Henrik's 28 years old

Old
09-02-2010, 04:51 PM
pwoz

Give Staal the same contract and Keith.

Old
09-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Henrik's 28 years old
And we have 4 more years of him. Even if Henrik retires early at say 34, 35, Quick would be off to better places by then anyways.

JJ isn't enough for Staal, Staal isnt nearly enough for Doughty.

Old
09-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Levitate

Quote:

To LAK - Staal.

The Rangers could afford $4.5 mill per year and in two years, Rozsival and Drury will be off the books so your comments about Sather trying his own hands is ill informed

Old
09-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:

To LAK - Staal.

how about to NYR: Wayne Simmonds and Matt Greene

to LAK: Staal, and Krieder

Old
09-02-2010, 07:47 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
how about to NYR: Wayne Simmonds and Matt Greene

to LAK: Staal, and Krieder
Please just stop posting trade proposals.

Old
09-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Sorry, I always thought 2 was a 'couple' and 'several' implied 3+

I think the most Staal and his agent would concede in terms of UFA years, if at all, would be 2... Depending on the $$$ value Sather offers...
My feeling is that Staal wants to be paid more on a shorter contract than Sather is willing to give. I don't think Staal wants to give up any years of free agency--he may want to preserve the right to go to arbitration as well.

Old
09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Please just stop posting trade proposals.
Is that JOrts? He spelled Kreider's name wrong too

Old
09-02-2010, 07:56 PM
TomLaidlaw

My prediction on Staal contract.

2 Years - $5,350,000 Total - $2,675,000 Cap Hit
Year 1: $2,500,000
Year 2: $2,850,000

Closed Thread