HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Flyers start looking at Greiss?

Old
09-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Talbetts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yes! Another thread that will soon become 10 pages of talking about how much Michael Leighton and Paul Holmgren suck!
I believe you mean Leighton and "shooter"?

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:13 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
Greiss is on a two way contract, is he not?

Either way my answer is yes, I would offer a third and a fifth or perhaps a prospect defenseman. He is a decent goalie from the little pro action I've seen of him and that SJ goaltending stable has produced some guys who maximized their talent.
It doesn't matter whether his contract is two-way or one-way. It doesn't affect waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Why shouldn't they be looking at Greiss?

Holmgren should be looking at every goaltender who might be available. No matter what, you should always be scouting options to improve your team, in every area.

Greiss is now the odd man out, and could be worthwhile. Certainly worth watching, if nothing else.
Sure, they could look into him. There's no point in trading for him when Theodore can be signed for free or they could wait and see who the Sharks dump and get him for free.

Besides, it's painfully obvious that Homer isn't looking for a goalie so there's not much point in discussing this.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
It doesn't matter whether his contract is two-way or one-way. It doesn't affect waivers.
But it affects reentry waivers, and that matters if he is #3.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 03:42 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yes! Another thread that will soon become 10 pages of talking about how much Michael Leighton and Paul Holmgren suck!
If Homer's mismanagement and Leighton's mediocrity didn't realistically threaten to ****-up everything this team does next year (and possibly beyond), then those issues wouldn't contaminate every single thread.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

Sure, they could look into him. There's no point in trading for him when Theodore can be signed for free or they could wait and see who the Sharks dump and get him for free.

Besides, it's painfully obvious that Homer isn't looking for a goalie so there's not much point in discussing this.
it does matter because they can stash him in the minors if they so choose. that would not be an option with theodore, he won't sign a two-way deal, no way, and with greiss playing on an entry level contract or at least a similar salary theodore won't be any cheaper (plus he will HAVE to go against the cap). he'd be easier to acquire but what makes him desirable ... at all? theodore is done. greiss could be a good goalie in the near future and if he is he has his whole prime in front of him. similarly, holmgren's repugnance toward another roster goalie is an issue with theodore, less so with greiss.

all that said, we don't even know if greiss is available. SJ likes him and they signed two guys to short deals who may or may not be there for any length of time. i don't see them rushing to move him.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
it does matter because they can stash him in the minors if they so choose. that would not be an option with theodore, he won't sign a two-way deal, no way, and with greiss playing on an entry level contract or at least a similar salary theodore won't be any cheaper (plus he will HAVE to go against the cap). he'd be easier to acquire but what makes him desirable ... at all? theodore is done. greiss could be a good goalie in the near future and if he is he has his whole prime in front of him. similarly, holmgren's repugnance toward another roster goalie is an issue with theodore, less so with greiss.

all that said, we don't even know if greiss is available. SJ likes him and they signed two guys to short deals who may or may not be there for any length of time. i don't see them rushing to move him.
To get that contract talk straight... Thomas Greiss is on an one-year, one-way contract that pays him $550K for 2010/11. He is NOT on an entry-level or two-way contract. He is not exempt from either waivers or reentry waivers, every team can claim him if he is assigned to the minors (due to the years he has been in the league) and if he clears and is brought up again, every team can claim him for half the money and half the caphit (due to the amount he earns in the AHL).

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
But it affects reentry waivers, and that matters if he is #3.
I never heard that before. You just pointed it out in your last post that he can be claimed off of re-entry so it doesn't matter.

Quote:
it does matter because they can stash him in the minors if they so choose.

What, the two-way or one-way contract thing? That just refers to the amount the player makes in the NHL and AHL. The NHL game series has everyone believing that only players on two-way contracts can go down to the minors without having to go through waivers where in reality that doesn't affect waivers at all.

So, if we wanted to put him in the farm team or bring him up to the NHL, he would have to go through waivers. So stashing him in the minors would be a dumb move.

Not to mention the fact that it would hurt his development and we have no space in the minors for another goalie.

Quote:
that would not be an option with theodore,
Huh? You can stash any player in the minors. It doesn't matter whether it's a one-way contract or two-way.

Regardless, it wouldn't be a smart idea to stash either Theodore of Greiss in the minors if we had them so there's no point in discussing it.

Quote:
he won't sign a two-way deal, no way,
Yeah, it doesn't matter whether it's a two-way or one-way deal. Either way he has to go through waivers.

Quote:
and with greiss playing on an entry level contract or at least a similar salary theodore won't be any cheaper (plus he will HAVE to go against the cap).
Greiss isn't on an ELC. Both Theodore and Greiss would have the same exact rules applies to them involving waivers regardless of whether they have a one-way or two-way deal. It doesn't matter.

If we stuffed Theodore in the minors his cap hit would be off the books, just like Greiss.

I'm pretty sure you have no idea what you're talking about to be honest.

Quote:
he'd be easier to acquire but what makes him desirable ... at all?
He's an established goalie, has posted decent stats in two of the last three years, would be cheap, and is the only free agent left?

Quote:
theodore is done.
Yeah, only because no one has signed him yet.

Quote:
greiss could be a good goalie in the near future and if he is he has his whole prime in front of him.
To bad we're looking to win this upcoming season. We don't need potential. We need a proven starter. I wouldn't mind having Greiss as a backup, but he hasn't proven that he's capable of being a starter yet. Theodore has.

Quote:
similarly, holmgren's repugnance toward another roster goalie is an issue with theodore, less so with greiss.
I have no idea how that makes sense. You just said that Homer has a repugnance toward adding another roster goalie. Which is somehow a knock on Theodore but not on Greiss? They're both roster goalies.

Quote:
They have three NHL goalies. Two of them, not named Greiss, just signed this summer and are more proven then Greiss so they're unlikely to be moved. So Greiss is the obvious choice to be moved.

If no one wants to trade for him or give SJ what they would want in return, both of which are likely, then Greiss has to be waived to put in the AHL. In which case, if Homer actually does want him, he can just grab him off of waivers for free.

So, common sense and logic dictate that there's a decent chance Greiss will be made available free soon enough.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 07:12 PM
Crossbar Ping

I would love to pick him up off the wire , or trade something small for him.

would love it , but goalie strategies dont seem to fly here in phile....

Crossbar Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 07:50 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
To bad we're looking to win this upcoming season. We don't need potential. We need a proven starter. I wouldn't mind having Greiss as a backup, but he hasn't proven that he's capable of being a starter yet. Theodore has.
Theodore's best days are very far behind him, and he is not a good/capable starter. Why do you think he consistently folds under pressure and had Varlamov yoink his spot in the playoffs the last two years?

I think Greiss, if given a shot, could play as well as Jose, and has a lot more potential ahead of him.

I'm not saying we need to go out and trade for him, but it certainly couldn't hurt to scout him a bit and possibly kick the tires on a deal to see what it would take.

No matter what does/not happen with Greiss, though, I don't want Theodore. His mental game is garbage, both Leighton and Boucher probably have him beat there.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Vaasa

As a Sharks fan, I would be perfect happy to trade you Nittymaki if Philly is interested. I never wanted Niemi anyway, and would prefer to keep Greiss because he's cheaper. If there was any way to bundle Nitty + something for Carle or Coburn, I'd be all over it.

Vaasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

I was not aware Greiss was on a one-way deal. I don't know how "established" he is that he could not spend a portion of this season if not the entire year in the minors but it does add a little exigency to the situation, especially given that he is in the final year of his deal.

As for Theodore, I still think he is a pretty weak option, he was really underwhelming last year in Washington, even when he was winning a bunch of games in a row.

Andrew Knoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 04:26 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaasa View Post
As a Sharks fan, I would be perfect happy to trade you Nittymaki if Philly is interested. I never wanted Niemi anyway, and would prefer to keep Greiss because he's cheaper. If there was any way to bundle Nitty + something for Carle or Coburn, I'd be all over it.
Sorry, but not a chance in hell. Nitty has washed up hips. They don't work well enough to carry a full season load. You will see that in san Jose. It's a shame because the guy has the ability to be the best goaltender in the NHL.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Waiver pick up, yes. Trade? No.
I like that idea much more. Though if Matt Walker would be attractive, move him.

Edler4Norris is offline   Reply With Quote