HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Music

Old
09-02-2010, 04:56 PM
twisting and turning

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNRISE27EMTK View Post
I listen to Hardcore and Punk:

Some bands are

Pennywise, NOFX,Black Flag, Minor Threat, Sick of It All, Agnostic Front, Bouncing Souls, Hatebreed, Avail, Circle Jerks, Bad Brains, Rancid, Madball, Clash, Sex Pistols, Social D., Bad Religion (playing 3 days in October at Irving NYC)..a little shout to the local bands Last Call Brawl, Two Man Advantage, and Razorblade Handgernade

Random Band that I listen to: Phish....use to hate them until i started to go to a couple shows. Its a party but has no association with any of the music I listen too.
good stuff right here.
listen to almost all of this especially the NYHC and hatebreed.
some of my other favorites include outburst, sheer terror, side by side, killing time,cro mags,leeway, maximum penalty
some recent LI local bands that are killing it are backtrack and incendiary

also listen to a lot of sabbath, maiden, motorhead, slayer. and hip hop nas, wu tang. gangstarr ect.

although id say my favorite artist/songwriter ever is bruce springsteen.

music rules, ok.

Last edited by twisting and turning: 09-02-2010 at 07:24 PM.
twisting and turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Islanderfan17

I'm only 18, but I'm all about the classic rock. I listen to all the classic rock that came out of the 60's - 90's. I hate 75% of today's music, that includes metal, the emo wave of music (Every singer practically has a high pitched, whiny voice now), rap, R&B, and hip hop.

Also like some alternative rock and reggae.

Islanderfan17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Bruins78

ANy Vision of Disorder fans? I believe they were from Long Island and are actually releasing a new album. I loved their early stuff, the Still EP (and the For the Bleeders release) and the S/T but thought they went down hill prett quickly after that. Didn't dig Tim Williams other band, BloodSimple at all. I caught VOD a couple of times in Boston and they were great live.

Mostly listen to punk (Swingin Utters, Sixer, Social D, Lillingtons, etc) now but loved a lot of that late 90's hardcore coming out of NY. NYHC seems to have gotten a little ridiculous (crews, hip hop/tough guy culture) over the years but there were a ton of bands I used to dig.

Bruins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Trots19

vCash: 50
in no particular order:

Pearl Jam

Trots19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 07:25 PM
twisting and turning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins78 View Post
ANy Vision of Disorder fans? I believe they were from Long Island and are actually releasing a new album. I loved their early stuff, the Still EP (and the For the Bleeders release) and the S/T but thought they went down hill prett quickly after that. Didn't dig Tim Williams other band, BloodSimple at all. I caught VOD a couple of times in Boston and they were great live.

Mostly listen to punk (Swingin Utters, Sixer, Social D, Lillingtons, etc) now but loved a lot of that late 90's hardcore coming out of NY. NYHC seems to have gotten a little ridiculous (crews, hip hop/tough guy culture) over the years but there were a ton of bands I used to dig.
yeah i like the S/T alot.
VOD actually just played in NYC like 2 weeks ago. NYHC is back on the right track. Lots of good shows this fall. AF,Shutdown,Sheer Terror.

twisting and turning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Bruins78

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick666 View Post
yeah i like the S/T alot.
VOD actually just played in NYC like 2 weeks ago. NYHC is back on the right track. Lots of good shows this fall. AF,Shutdown,Sheer Terror.
Glad to see Sheer Terror is playing shows for however long it lasts. That last Joe Coffee was better then the first one but is quite a departure from Sheer Terror. Not really digging Agnost Front anymore, there last one seemed like an attempt to get current and sounded like so much other generic metalcore. I get blasted for it since there early stuff is considered sacred to the genre but Roit Riot Upstart is my favorite CD of there's.

Bruins78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Strummergas

Jesus, half the bands listed in this thread remind me of why I moved off of LI in the first place.

Strummergas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:07 PM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Bzzzt. Athens is like 90 minutes from Atlanta. It's like saying that NYC and Albany are interchangeable.

Besides, REM stink. TRY AGAIN.
REM was great for their time as an indie band from 1982-1988 or, but I know Athens is a bit of a distance, but will have to say Black Crowes for Atlanta.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2010, 11:25 PM
Mikey Radz

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
REM was great for their time as an indie band from 1982-1988 or, but I know Athens is a bit of a distance, but will have to say Black Crowes for Atlanta.
REM put out a lot of good stuff post 1988, like "Automatic for the People". Arguably their best album.

Mikey Radz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:40 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I saw Dan Bern at the Winnipeg folk festival in 2000. I'm surprised nobody resurrected his 'Tiger Woods' given what's happened. For everyone else, it's pretty funny, give it a listen. What wasn't too long ago, but felt like another life, I volunteered/bartended at a DNC fundraiser at Housing Works (note - I was Housing Works volunteer, not a DNC volunteer). Bern made fun of everyone at that f'ing thing. You knew he was a screaming lefty, but he thought the party hacks were such pu****s.
Dan Bern is really funny. I've seen him live probably 8 times now. I try to go to at least one of his NYC shows a year. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote a revision of Tiger Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1BUCo102Z0 Here's his song about what he'd do if he was President.

Did you see the movie Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story? If you haven't rent it. it's a really fun picture. Anyway, he wrote a lot of the music for that soundtrack.

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 09-03-2010 at 02:47 AM.
Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
If you like Nightwish, Epica, etc. Try After Forever as well. I think you'll like them.
Checked out a few songs from forever after... pretty good stuff. Thanks for the suggestion.

Also, can't believe I didn't mention this band in the beginning. Definitely my favorite band at the moment... Dragonforce. Epic stuff really.

Twine Seeking Missle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Jesus, half the bands listed in this thread remind me of why I moved off of LI in the first place.
Hipster.

Quote:
Did you see the movie Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story? If you haven't rent it. it's a really fun picture. Anyway, he wrote a lot of the music for that soundtrack.
No, I didn't see it, but I'll get it on the 'ol queue.

Did anyone go to the Los Lobos New Years Eve at the City Winery last year? I got into them after learning the magical sleep-inducing properties of "Night Shade Mary" (with name changed for my daughter). It's $100 a ticket, but that's not too much for NYE thing...

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Strummergas

Quote:
Hipster.
Them's fightin' words Dan-o!

Actually I hate most of the ******** that passes for indie nowadays as well. None of it has any balls and I need music to have some balls to it. That doesn't necessarily mean heavy. Hell, Johnny Cash's stuff has some set of balls.

I just don't like much of the hardcore mentioned past 1983 with a few notable exceptions, and most of the hardcore that came out of NY/LI after the late 80's just seemed like all the jocks on the high school football teams traded in their shoulder pads and helmets for guitars and amps. I tend to call it "ape-core".

Not trying to pick a fight with anyone here. Everyone's entitled to like what they want and I'm sure more than a few of you would think my taste sucks. But music is the most important thing in my life and I tend to be very opinionated about it.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
majormet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey Radz View Post
REM put out a lot of good stuff post 1988, like "Automatic for the People". Arguably their best album.
I go with Reckoning for their best album, but Out of Time was good, just had some throwaway songs on the 2nd phase of their career, and then post Bill Berry it has been a bit lackluster.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
I mostly dig into the classics. I'm a huge huge Stones fan, but, some of my other favorites are Floyd, Bruce, Zeppelin, Dire Straits, The The Beatles... Mostly everything from around that era. I'm a product of my dad and uncles record collection since I was a child.

I'm 26 so of coarse there is the odd mixture of 90's punk bands thrown in the mix. Nofx, Lagwagon, Face to Face. That whole SoCal sound. Along with the third wave Ska like Less than Jake, Reel Big Fish, Catch 22, Big D and the Kids Table.

More recently I've been more into indie stuff like, Silversun Pickups, Metric, Phoenix, the Strokes.

And you got to leave room for some good hip hop, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, Kanye West, Outkast. Some older stuff like B.I.G., Dre, Snoop Dogg.

I'm all over the place hahaha.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Actually I hate most of the ******** that passes for indie nowadays as well. None of it has any balls and I need music to have some balls to it. That doesn't necessarily mean heavy. Hell, Johnny Cash's stuff has some set of balls.
I know it's yesterday's news, but do you like the Wrens? When you say indie and 'balls', I think The Wrens. I've never seen them live, but I'm sure it'd be a blast.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Country music

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 02:14 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Country music
Old country or that horrible pop crap with a fiddle and pedal steel that passes for new country?

Old
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
I know it's yesterday's news, but do you like the Wrens? When you say indie and 'balls', I think The Wrens. I've never seen them live, but I'm sure it'd be a blast.

Cheers,

Dan-o
I've never heard their stuff but I definitely know the name. I'll check it out and let you know what I think. Sounds promising though.

Old
09-03-2010, 05:03 PM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormet View Post
Anaheim - No Doubt
Atlanta (Athens) - REM
Boston - Lemonheads
Buffalo - 10,000 Maniacs
Calgary - KD Laing
Carolina - Connells
Chicago - Smashing Pumpkins
Colorado - Jill Sobule
Columbus (Dayton) - Guided by Voices
Dallas - Toadies
Detroit - Iggy Pop
Edmonton - Joni Mitchell
Florida (Miami) - KC & the Sunshine Band
Los Angeles - X
Minnesota - Replacements
Montreal - Arcade Fire
Nashville - Roseanne Cash
New Jersey - Bruce Springsteen
New York (Long Island) - As Tall as Lions
New York (New York City) - Ramones
Ottawa - Alanis Morrissette
Philadelphia - Hooters
Phoenix - Jimmy Eat World
Pittsburgh - George Benson
San Jose (Bay Area) - Jefferson Airplane
St Louis (Southern Illinois) - Hum
Tampa Bay (North Florida) - Lynyrd Skynyrd
Toronto - Neil Young
Vancouver - Matthew Good Band
Washington DC - Fugazi
From Montreal the best are Leonard Cohen (english) and Harmonium (french).
And are The Pixies from Boston? If so, I think they're the best from Boston.
And finally, The Replacements better than Husker DŁ? Anyway, I know it's just a question of taste... Nice effort!

Last edited by xIsle: 09-03-2010 at 05:24 PM.
xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 05:43 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Old country or that horrible pop crap with a fiddle and pedal steel that passes for new country?
A little bit of both. Garth Brooks, Darryl Worley, Toby Keith, Miranda Lambert, Carrie Underwood, and others. Old school like Kenny Rogers and that type of country.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Sideshow Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
Dan Bern is really funny. I've seen him live probably 8 times now. I try to go to at least one of his NYC shows a year. I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote a revision of Tiger Woods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1BUCo102Z0 Here's his song about what he'd do if he was President.

If we're going to talk about fun pictures with great soundtracks you have to include Spinal Tap and The Commitments.

Sideshow Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Trumanperro

Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
If we're going to talk about fun pictures with great soundtracks you have to include Spinal Tap and The Commitments.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Isles Junkie

The Ramones might be NYCs most influential band, but give me The Talking Heads or Beastie Boys (who are possibly just as influential) as NYCs greatest bands.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-04-2010, 10:12 PM
VT Isles Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
The Ramones might be NYCs most influential band, but give me The Talking Heads or Beastie Boys (who are possibly just as influential) as NYCs greatest bands.
I'm surprised no one's mentioned KISS as a NYC band, those guys have been around forever (and I do mean forever)

I like all types of music with the exception of country (which is super popular here in VT) but mostly listen to older metal (Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, Queensryche) and alternative.

VT Isles Fan is offline   Reply With Quote