HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Research and Development Camp

Old
09-02-2010, 11:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

vCash: 500
Research and Development Camp

Can't find the old thread.

But after reading an article in my current issue of THN, I stumbled on a picture from the camp that was held recently, testing out new rules and ice markings.

http://a323.yahoofs.com/ymg/ept_spor...kdfoDDQ7g0SCLl

Not sure if the link works, because I'm on my phone. But if you google image search "NHL research and development camp" the rink should come up.

Personally, I like some of it. I find that cutting out some of the redundancies from the ice markings would help progress the game. Like they cut out two line passes.

Specifically, too many faceoff areas. I like the one faceoff circle in each zone, in the center.

They took out the offside dots, too, I believe. And the rule they used was the team that commits offsides the faceoff is in their zone. And no line change for guilty team.

I love the line change areas. Making players have to wait for their teammates to get to the bench.

I love the bigger goal creases. Giving goaltenders some extra protection.

The nets were shallow with plexi-glass on the top, rather then netting. So its easier to see a top down view during goal reviews. There's also a new secondary yellow line behind the red goal line. The glass may. Cause some issues, though. Not sure that its neccessary.

They also used 4v4 OT followed by 3v3 OT and then shootout. Which is better then the current short 4v4 and then shootout.

They also used 2v2 OT and this just stupid.

I wish they'd go to a 3-2-1 point system to lessen the importance of the shootout.

They also made a team that commits a penalty in their own zone have to not just touch up but have to control the puck AND clear it out of their zone to get the whistle.

I think they were also tinkering with teams having to serve the entire penalty even if the other team scores on the Power Play. Not sure I love that idea. I value even strength play more.

Mods if u want to merge this, go for it.

I wanted to see what others felt about the research and development camp results.

I personally like a lot of what they were doing. I think a lot of it could help progress the game. While others I felt were pointless, or bad.

Some very interesting things they studied there.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:04 AM
John Torturella

The changing faceoffs and offsides is nonsense. There are some areas that could be messed with, but these would totally change the game, almost beyond recognition.

Just get rid of shootouts or make them less likely.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:22 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

picture works

I think the faceoff dots are fine. They could take out the offside ones and just use center ice. I wouldn't care. Not sure if that really changes the game. You sometimes a some goals off of set plays for the offside faceoff dots but doesn't seem like a big deal. I think penalizing an offsides with no line change is a bit extreme. It makes the game harder to understand for new fans too.

Having a zone around benches players have to be within in order to change sounds interesting. It solves some cheating and too many men issues.

Bigger goal creases are nice in theory but I don't ever see the refs blow the whistle because a player commits a crease violation foul like they do in the olympics.

Shallow nets for more "office" space sounds great. I wonder how easy they'll be to tip over now. Plexi-glass tops w/ a yellow line (if the puck touches it, it's a sure fire goal) sound like good ways to improve video reviews. Goalies have really gotten good at obscuring camera views for near-goals in the past two years.

3v3 OT might be cool. I'd have to see it. I really like the idea of switching sides in OT so teams have the long change. 2v2 is asinine. What is this? Jordan vs Bird? I know they are making shootout wins not be counted in the regular wins column. If they don't use a 3-2-1 scoring system, I wish they would just go back to OTW = 2 points, OTL = 0 points, shootout, each team gets 1 point but the shootout winner gets their win in the separate SOW column that is used as a tie-breaker after points and # wins.

Clearing the puck to get a stoppage when you get a penalty sounds overly complicated. I'm 50/50 on that on. It does make it clear when the whistle should be blown so i'd definitely would take a closer look at that. No to continuous 2 minute power plays. I agree, 5-5 is better.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Meh I'm not a big fan of change. Different OT format and getting rid of the shootout is something I can support. But I think the face off dots in the center of the ice look bad and would not really improve anything. If they do anything for line change areas I think simple lines would suffice. Not a fan of the wide blue line either.

The game is great the way it is.

What ever happened to the rounded nets?

Increased scoring for sure.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:11 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Meh I'm not a big fan of change. Different OT format and getting rid of the shootout is something I can support. But I think the face off dots in the center of the ice look bad and would not really improve anything. If they do anything for line change areas I think simple lines would suffice. Not a fan of the wide blue line either.

The game is great the way it is.

What ever happened to the rounded nets?

Increased scoring for sure.
one thing they could try is change the shape of the goal posts to bevel in so more of the goal posts we see go in. curve goals are just silly.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 01:46 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Well for any change to happen there are a long steps according to the article I read.

First, the idea needs to be brought up.

Second, the GMs need to vote on it.

Third, if majority of the GMs rule in favor, it has to go to the board of the league for voting/approval.

Doubtful any of the major changes will happen.

But I'd really like to see less emphasis on individual and more enphasis on team. Meaning make the shootout less valuable then OT and much less then regulation.

The problem with the structure now is they really didn't get rid of the tie. They award the tie points after regulation by default. And then make the game worth 3 points.

So, if the game is worth 3 points, then make it REALLY worth 3 points.

Regulation Win - 3 points
OT Win - 2 points
Shootout Win - 1 point
Loss - 0 points

And just make OT 10 minutes long 4v4 instead of 5 minutes.

No team will sit back and sacrifice 2 points.

Old
09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

The only change they need to be thinking about is switching to international-sized rinks. There simply isn't enough room on the ice for these behemoths anymore. Bigger rink = more NATURAL offense, less necessity to manufacture goals through rule changes, penalties, etc.

Oh, and limit the shootout as much as possible.

I don't see any reason to remove faceoff circles or anything of that sort. If you can't get past the markings on the ice, then this sport isn't for you.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 08:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The only change they need to be thinking about is switching to international-sized rinks. There simply isn't enough room on the ice for these behemoths anymore. Bigger rink = more NATURAL offense, less necessity to manufacture goals through rule changes, penalties, etc.

Oh, and limit the shootout as much as possible.

I don't see any reason to remove faceoff circles or anything of that sort. If you can't get past the markings on the ice, then this sport isn't for you.
I agree 100%.

Unfortunately, bigger rink = less capacity. I cant picture Bettman or the owners even entertaining the idea.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2010, 09:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I don't like the game on international sized rinks. Its not as entertaining or as exciting.

Old
09-03-2010, 10:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
I don't like the game on international sized rinks. Its not as entertaining or as exciting.
Unless youre a fan of complete goonery, I dont know how you could say something like that.

Larger rinks increase the speed and the creativity of the game which, in my opinions anyways, are the most exciting components of the game.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote